ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , racism incidents , racism issues , shooting incidents , Texas incidents

Old 3rd August 2019, 02:40 PM   #1
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

El Paso Shooter Identified Online As Trump Supporter Who Didn’t Like ‘Race Mixing’

Originally Posted by Newsone
The suspect in a deadly mass shooting at a shopping mall in El Paso, Texas, on Saturday was widely identified on the internet as a young white man whose social media activity showed support and sympathy for the president’s apparent white nationalist agenda. The name and photos of a man purported to be Patrick Crusius quickly circulated across Twitter in the hours after the shooting that first began outside a Walmart store at Cielo Vista Mall was first reported. If those reports were accurate, Crusius, allegedly a Texas native, just turned 21 last week.
https://newsone.com/3883517/el-paso-...trick-crusius/
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:45 PM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I give it 48-72 hours for accurate information to come out. Not saying any of it here is incorrect.
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:46 PM   #3
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I give it 48-72 hours for accurate information to come out. Not saying any of it here is incorrect.
Yep.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

19 dead, 40 injured according to France 24 reporting on numbers from NBC.

I think it's safe to say it was a lot of shooting.

Trump sends his thoughts and prayers. It's become a less than meaningless saying.

O'Rourke is choking up. Not to be mean but that smile never leaves his face, not just here, I mean all the time.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd August 2019 at 03:05 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I do not know if the person named above is actually the person involved, or whether the "manifesto" and/or social media accounts being attributed to that person are genuine. However, since the police actually have a living person in custody, I would say it will take less than 48 hours for an accurate identification to be officially released. Possibly even less than 24.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:24 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I thought last week's incident in Gilroy would be addressed in a major fashion in the Democratic debates. I didn't watch them, but there were few sound bites that were featured regarding the issue (gun "violence", not gun "control").

The Parkland kids made some progress then seemed to disappear from the media reports. I'm sure they are still quite active. I am beside myself -- this keeps happening and nothing gets done. I was at a parade last night and spent a significant amount of time being on the lookout rather than just enjoying it.
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Mass shootings have become so commonplace in the US that it's pathetic. Frankly, if I hear one more "our thoughts and prayers are with you" platitude come from a politician who does everything s/he can to fight stricter gun control laws and who doesn't support banning assault style weapons, I'm going to explode. Screw them and screw the idiots who think their right to own such weapons is more important than people's lives.

Edited to correct "they're" to "their". Typing too fast.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 3rd August 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:46 PM   #8
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Mass shootings have become so commonplace in the US that it's pathetic. Frankly, if I hear one more "our thoughts and prayers are with you" platitude come from a politician who does everything s/he can to fight stricter gun control laws and who doesn't support banning assault style weapons, I'm going to explode. Screw them and screw the idiots who think they're right to own such weapons is more important than people's lives.
This isn't just another mass shooting, tho. Like a couple of the previous ones, this is a terrorist attack. At least if early reports are to be believed.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:02 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Mass shootings have become so commonplace in the US that it's pathetic. Frankly, if I hear one more "our thoughts and prayers are with you" platitude come from a politician who does everything s/he can to fight stricter gun control laws and who doesn't support banning assault style weapons, I'm going to explode. Screw them and screw the idiots who think they're right to own such weapons is more important than people's lives.
This.

Kids should not have to die for the stupidity and cowardice of adults.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 3rd August 2019 at 05:05 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

The manifesto is weird because he clearly references a butt load of Trump rally rhetoric then explicitly says that we shouldn't blame Trump. Which seems like a kind of preemptive defense of someone he doesn't want harmed by his actions even though he inspired him.

Also we need to consider that it is entirely possible the manifesto is honest about how his views predated Trump but that Trump made him feel finally free to act on those views.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:15 PM   #11
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
The manifesto is weird because he clearly references a butt load of Trump rally rhetoric then explicitly says that we shouldn't blame Trump. Which seems like a kind of preemptive defense of someone he doesn't want harmed by his actions even though he inspired him.

Also we need to consider that it is entirely possible the manifesto is honest about how his views predated Trump but that Trump made him feel finally free to act on those views.
There seemed to be a good amount of "anti-corporatism" mixed in there. As well as some awareness that the environment has been substantially screwed up by previous generations (specifically, the "dying baby boomers").

Take out the segregationist drivel, and this could have been written by any disaffected Millenial.
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:21 PM   #12
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Take out the segregationist drivel, and this could have been written by any disaffected Millenial.
At 21 he likely is, but that doesn't mean you can't be both. It's quite possible that he saw White Supremacy as a solution for his being a disaffected Millennial.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:24 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Philosopher

There seemed to be a good amount of "anti-corporatism" mixed in there. As well as some awareness that the environment has been substantially screwed up by previous generations (specifically, the "dying baby boomers").

Take out the antisemitic drivel and Mein Kampf could have been written by any disaffected German/Austrian in the 1920's.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:33 PM   #14
Distracted1
Master Poster

Take out the antisemitic drivel and Mein Kampf could have been written by any disaffected German/Austrian in the 1920's.
Of course. But Mein Kempf did not combine antisemitism with pro-communist sentiment.

It seems a little unexpected to find the attitudes of racial segregation sharing a screed with anti-corporatism and environmental consciousness. The murderer was coloring outside the lines when he filled in the "white supremacist" box.
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:39 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Of course. But Mein Kempf did not combine antisemitism with pro-communist sentiment.

It seems a little unexpected to find the attitudes of racial segregation sharing a screed with anti-corporatism and environmental consciousness. The murderer was coloring outside the lines when he filled in the "white supremacist" box.
No, Mein Kampf combined antisemitism with anti-communism.

Are you expecting someone who would go into a store and gun down dozens of strangers to "color within the lines"? And do white supremacists have a box they all fit?
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Distracted1
Master Poster

No, Mein Kampf combined antisemitism with anti-communism.

Are you expecting someone who would go into a store and gun down dozens of strangers to "color within the lines"? And do white supremacists have a box they all fit?
Sorry, the metaphor was not clear.

I don't usually expect a white supremacist to express anti-corporate views. The two outlooks typically link to opposite ideologies. The "manifesto" expressed both. Unexpected.
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:51 PM   #17
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I don't usually expect a white supremacist to express anti-corporate views. The two outlooks typically link to opposite ideologies. The "manifesto" expressed both. Unexpected.
There are white supremacists who would never actually hurt anyone. Their beliefs in white supremacy do not spill over into committing actual violence. They're big talkers. Those that do act out violently would likely commit violence to matter what their views on racial equality are. I suspect this guy is, frankly, a seriously disaffected youth with a history of multiple behavioral problems.
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:59 PM   #18
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

You really haven't come across white nationalists who claim capitalism and big business is the tool of the Jews?

From what I have seen, anti-corporatism is quite common in those circles.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:39 PM   #19
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
You really haven't come across white nationalists who claim capitalism and big business is the tool of the Jews?

From what I have seen, anti-corporatism is quite common in those circles.
Indeed; one or more wealthy Jewish capitalists is usually invoked by name in their various conspiracy theories. Right now George Soros is their popular devil, allegedly bankrolling everything behind the scenes. And I do mean everything; Soros supposedly pays every single anti-Trump protester that exists, and was even accused of paying Central American refugees to leave their countries and form the infamous "invasion caravans" to the United States earlier this year/end of last year.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:53 PM   #20
Cain
Straussian

I just read the manifesto. Predictably the MSM will ignore the textual evidence to push their own pre-conceived partisan narrative that he's a "right-winger." In fact, he's an environmentalist! Imagine that. The worst people in history have been environmentalists. Hitler, AOC, Thanos.
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:13 PM   #21
8enotto
Muse

I am betting even Trimp wishes these guys would stop doing this in the name of everything he promoted.

Some point un time will come where he cannot deny he helped create this mess.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:24 PM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
That time will never come: Trump can deny what he said 10 seconds ago.
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:37 PM   #23
Travis

It should be pointed out that the root of his animus towards corporations seems to be that he blames them for immigration because they see a diverse America as "profitable" and it angered him that white culture was going to die just because big business only cared about making money.

It was not your typical anti corporate take.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 12:09 AM   #24
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Remember, if he does turn out to be a white supremacist, it's not a right wing terrorist act, it's merely yet another one off tragedy caused by someone with mental health issues (in stark contrast to any violence carried out by someone who has at some point in time expressed some kind of support for Antifa, BLM or who has said anything positive about Islam or criticised Israel in any way - they're obviously a leftist and/or Muslim terrorist ) and that there is nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

Remember, guns don't kill people, people with mental health issues kill people.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 12:35 AM   #25
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I am betting even Trimp wishes these guys would stop doing this in the name of everything he promoted.

I think he doesn't care that he's creating this mess. He revels in it. He only pays lip service in a vain attempt to feign empathy.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 01:56 AM   #26
Ranb
Philosopher

I read the alleged manifesto; it is rather stupid. Typically the shooter blames the victims and has other strange ideas.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 02:51 AM   #27
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's worth pointing out that he's not just a Trump supporter, but someone who explicitly uses the same language as Trump ("send them back" and "invasion"), and who buys in to the narrative pushed by Fox News and other right-wing outlets that Americans are being replaced by immigrants.
Old 4th August 2019, 02:55 AM   #28
Cain
Straussian

Ben Shapiro wrote: "The Obama administration is racist... The predictable result of [administration] polic[ies] will resemble the results of the 1876 election: federal abdication on racial violence, state abdication on racial violence and local abdication on racial violence. The next race war will come not from racist whites, but from racist blacks and Hispanics who feel empowered to act on their racism by an administration that excuses all minority misbehavior."

https://twitter.com/buhhhhlieevmeee/...66815239917569
Old 4th August 2019, 03:17 AM   #29
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, he's half-right in a way. There's been an uptick in mass shootings by white supremacists (white supremacism accounts for more terrorism than any other group), and it's becoming increasingly clear that they feel empowered to act by an administration that excuses all right-wing behaviour.

This article makes the point that with the culture of places like 8chan that these white supremacists shouldn't be classified as the individual actors that they currently are, but that instead they should officially be designated as a terrorist organisation on a par with ISIS and Al Qaeda. I'm not sure I completely agree with the strength of that assertion*, but I think the general point is a valid one.

*It seems to me, if nothing else, that it's a very US-centric viewpoint which ignores the international reach and actions of ISIS and Al Qaeda. I find it hard to believe that taking all the actions by each group into account that the latter two don't have a much higher bodycount than the white supremacists.
Old 4th August 2019, 03:33 AM   #30
dann
Philosopher

There are white supremacists who would never actually hurt anyone. Their beliefs in white supremacy do not spill over into committing actual violence. They're big talkers.

You are right! And that is how they encourage the shooters to shoot! With their big talk!

Quote:
Those that do act out violently would likely commit violence to matter what their views on racial equality are.

Likely?! Then how come they all seem to be white supremacists?

Quote:
I suspect this guy is, frankly, a seriously disaffected youth with a history of multiple behavioral problems.

So he's a seriously disaffected youth with multiple behavioral problems who just happens to be a white supremacist. That he also happens to be a mass shooter is pure coincidence.
Yeah, right!!!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 03:39 AM   #31
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I mean, he's half-right in a way.

No, he is not in any way right. He is as wrong about everything as he could possibly be. The race war is being fought by racist whites, and they were encouraged to wage it by Ben Shapiro's and Donald Trump's racist rants.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 04:32 AM   #32
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
..and has other strange ideas.

Ranb
I knew that when I saw he was a Trump supporter.
Old 4th August 2019, 04:34 AM   #33
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump sends his thoughts and prayers. It's become a less than meaningless saying.
His thoughts and prayers are even less meaningful considering he's responsible for inspiring the shooter.
Old 4th August 2019, 04:55 AM   #34
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
No, he is not in any way right. He is as wrong about everything as he could possibly be. The race war is being fought by racist whites, and they were encouraged to wage it by Ben Shapiro's and Donald Trump's racist rants.
Perhaps if you'd read beyond the first sentence of my post before posting a knee-jerk reply you'd have spotted that the point you've just made is the exact same point that I made.
Old 4th August 2019, 04:56 AM   #35
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
His thoughts and prayers are even less meaningful considering he's responsible for inspiring the shooter.
LoL.
Old 4th August 2019, 05:05 AM   #36
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I mean, he's half-right in a way. There's been an uptick in mass shootings by white supremacists (white supremacism accounts for more terrorism than any other group), and it's becoming increasingly clear that they feel empowered to act by an administration that excuses all right-wing behaviour.
"Emboldened" is the word you groped for and failed to find. LoL
Quote:
This article makes the point that with the culture of places like 8chan that these white supremacists shouldn't be classified as the individual actors that they currently are, but that instead they should officially be designated as a terrorist organisation on a par with ISIS and Al Qaeda. I'm not sure I completely agree with the strength of that assertion*, but I think the general point is a valid one.

*It seems to me, if nothing else, that it's a very US-centric viewpoint which ignores the international reach and actions of ISIS and Al Qaeda. I find it hard to believe that taking all the actions by each group into account that the latter two don't have a much higher bodycount than the white supremacists.
Oo, the gravitas. Very few forums (fora?) have as many long-winded poseurs on them as ISF.
Old 4th August 2019, 05:09 AM   #37
Arcade22
Philosopher

For a president without a racist bone is whole body, self-declared "least racist person ever to walk upon the Earth", Trump sure tends to get a lot of support from racists and fascists.

If only they knew the "Real Trump", hidden behind all of his racist public outbursts, dog-whistles and his intentional attempts to convince people that he's a racist bigot, then they would be embarrassed.

Last edited by Arcade22; 4th August 2019 at 05:10 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 05:11 AM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
LoL.
Well, dead non-whites are always funny to Trump supporters.
Old 4th August 2019, 05:34 AM   #39
Travis

But remember folks, milkshakes are the real true danger to America!

Old 4th August 2019, 05:51 AM   #40
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
"Emboldened" is the word you groped for and failed to find. LoL
I was using Ben Shapiro's word. Your issue is with him, not me.

Quote:
Oo, the gravitas. Very few forums (fora?) have as many long-winded poseurs on them as ISF.
If you say so.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics