ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , racism incidents , racism issues , shooting incidents , Texas incidents

Old 5th August 2019, 02:31 AM   #81
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I obviously read your whole post before picking the first sentence, which I disagreed with. That you contradict your sentence:

... in the rest of your post doesn't make the sentence that you contradict less wrong: He isn't half-right. He isn't even half-right in a way.
Do you not agree that there are people currently in the US who are escalating racial violence because they feel emboldened to act by a US leadership, police force, and wider portions of culture who are racist and who overlook and excuse racist violence?
Old 5th August 2019, 02:32 AM   #82
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
He "expected to die", yet had concerns for protecting his hearing?
Loud noises can be painful. If I were terminally ill and due to have my life-support turned off at 2PM, I'd still ask someone punching me in the face at midday to stop, even if the bruises would ultimately make no difference to me.
Old 5th August 2019, 02:44 AM   #83
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
2) If he does NOT run the account, it seems likely that staffers have been writing all his output for some time. This has been posited from a long time back. The length, complexity and grammatical correctness of his posts have been giving it away. Various analyses have indicated way north of 50% of Trumpty's tweets were not written by him. And perhaps the "covfefe" and "Whales" gaffes were thrown in by competent writers trying to deflect attention from other contentious issues. Bait and switch.
There was a report a while back allegedly from White House insiders, which said that Trump writes many of the tweets, but that he also has staff prepare tweets for him, and he'll choose to tweet the ones of those that he likes.
Old 5th August 2019, 02:49 AM   #84
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/...08058930442240

Quote:
Here's part of Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick's appearance on Fox & Friends, where he uses the El Paso shooting to call for federal government intervention in the video game industry, more prayer in schools, and more saluting the flag, among other things.
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 5th August 2019, 02:56 AM   #85
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Cloudflare announces they are terminating services to 8chan

Quote:
We do not take this decision lightly. Cloudflare is a network provider. In pursuit of our goal of helping build a better internet, we’ve considered it important to provide our security services broadly to make sure as many users as possible are secure, and thereby making cyberattacks less attractive — regardless of the content of those websites. Many of our customers run platforms of their own on top of our network. If our policies are more conservative than theirs it effectively undercuts their ability to run their services and set their own policies. We reluctantly tolerate content that we find reprehensible, but we draw the line at platforms that have demonstrated they directly inspire tragic events and are lawless by design. 8chan has crossed that line. It will therefore no longer be allowed to use our services.
Old 5th August 2019, 02:58 AM   #86
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1158155305001332736

Quote:
Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick on Fox News less than 1 month ago...

Ingraham: "Your state has been completely overrun by this illegal invasion. I think calling it anything but an invasion at this point is not being honest with people."

Patrick: *Nods along*
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 5th August 2019, 03:25 AM   #87
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/stat...96171451576321

Quote:
Beto O’Rourke on his way to his car was asked if there’s anything Trump can do now to make this better.

“What do you think? You know the **** he’s been saying. He’s been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. I don’t know, like, members of the press, what the ****?”
Full quote:

Old 5th August 2019, 03:27 AM   #88
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/stat...16987908218882

Quote:
I didn’t get video, but here’s audio of the question and Beto O’Rourke’s answer. This came after an emotional vigil in El Paso, as O’Rourke circled behind a building looking for his wife.
Audio embedded in tweet. NSFW language, obviously.
Old 5th August 2019, 03:50 AM   #89
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

Even the site's creator wants it shut down

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/t...manifesto.html

I would love to see "Anonymous" carry out a massive DDOS attack on sites like 8CHan and Daily Stormer.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:18 AM   #90
dann
Philosopher

Do you not agree that there are people currently in the US who are escalating racial violence because they feel emboldened to act by a US leadership, police force, and wider portions of culture who are racist and who overlook and excuse racist violence?

Yes, Trump is emboldening racial violence, but when you wrote, "I mean, he's half-right in a way," it was in answer to this:

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Ben Shapiro wrote: "The Obama administration is racist... The predictable result of [administration] polic[ies] will resemble the results of the 1876 election: federal abdication on racial violence, state abdication on racial violence and local abdication on racial violence. The next race war will come not from racist whites, but from racist blacks and Hispanics who feel empowered to act on their racism by an administration that excuses all minority misbehavior."

https://twitter.com/buhhhhlieevmeee/...66815239917569

But maybe you thought that Shapiro was talking about Trump, or maybe you just don't remember, but Shapiro obviously wasn't half-right in any way.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 06:52 AM   #91
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Yes, Trump is emboldening racial violence, but when you wrote, "I mean, he's half-right in a way," it was in answer to this:

But maybe you thought that Shapiro was talking about Trump, or maybe you just don't remember, but Shapiro obviously wasn't half-right in any way.
Or maybe when I used the phrase "half-right, in a way" I meant "half-right, in a way", rather than "exactly right, in every way"? Something to consider.
Old 5th August 2019, 06:57 AM   #92
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Even the site's creator wants it shut down

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/t...manifesto.html

I would love to see "Anonymous" carry out a massive DDOS attack on sites like 8CHan and Daily Stormer.
It doesn't even need to be them. I think Lizard Squad had a low orbit cannon you could rent. All you have to is pick the amount of time, give it the URL or IP, and hit send.

It was for security testing, of course

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 07:17 AM   #93
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

The purging of the Twitter account is stupid. There are several websites that have literally posted every Tweet that's originated from Trump, whether original of from one of his minions.
And illegal. His Twitter communication has been deemed by courts to be official statements from the POTUS. This is why he can't block people.

Originally Posted by NYT
Because Mr. Trump uses Twitter to conduct government business, he cannot exclude some Americans from reading his posts — and engaging in conversations in the replies to them — because he does not like their views, a three-judge panel on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, in New York, ruled unanimously.
I haven't gotten a chance to read much this morning, but if his moronic staff really is sanitizing his Twitter account, that's pathetic. Only the best people.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 07:50 AM   #94
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes is saying "False" to the tweet deletion story.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:00 AM   #95
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/stat...52080509296646

Quote:
I am extremely loathe to publicize his words, but the president’s tweet today and the racist creed the shooter posted overlap to the point that they’re hard to distinguish with the names removed
Statements embedded in tweets.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:01 AM   #96
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...30513951735809

Quote:
We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain. Likewise for those so seriously wounded. We can never forget them, and those many who came before them. Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying....

....this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!
Ugh.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:06 AM   #97
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
And illegal. His Twitter communication has been deemed by courts to be official statements from the POTUS. This is why he can't block people.

I haven't gotten a chance to read much this morning, but if his moronic staff really is sanitizing his Twitter account, that's pathetic. Only the best people.
I am not sure that it would actually be illegal. I think they just have to have a record of communication on his twitter. I don't think it has to be preserved on his original timeline.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:07 AM   #98
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Snopes is saying "False" to the tweet deletion story.
Good, thanks.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:18 AM   #99
Arcade22
Philosopher

The funny thing is, had Trump been a more reasonable individual, his statement would've been interpreted as an attack against Fox News and other right-wing lying factories.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:27 AM   #100
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mrs. Betty Bowers
USA: It's a mental health issue.

WORLD: We have those. We don't have mass shootings.

USA: Then it's a video game issue.

WORLD: We have those. We don't have mass shootings.

USA: It's very complex.

WORLD: No it isn't, it's your gun laws.

USA: Prayer in school?

WORLD: God, you're stupid.
https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/stat...41314824671232
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 09:00 AM   #101
Belz...
Fiend God

Another blithering idiot.

Yeah, the problem with terrorists is that they aren't sufficiently religious and patriotic...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:11 AM   #102
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/statu...32471495196677

Quote:
🇬🇧Pop. 65 million
🇺🇸Pop. 330 million (5x)

🇬🇧Video game revenues: ≈$5 billion
🇺🇸Video game revenues: ≈$25 billion (5x)

🇬🇧Gun homicides (2017): 31
🇺🇸Gun homicides (2017): 14,542 (469x)

Stop blaming the video games you absolute morons.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:20 AM   #103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
He was an actor in his one person play. Presentation means a lot. It makes sense he wanted to appear in his own costume. Prepared, living his fantasy.
There is truth in what you say here.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:24 AM   #104
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If his staff are deleting his tweets (and possibly reposting them cleansed of negative words and replies), that suggests:

1) If Trump actually does run the @PresidentTwat account, he has no idea how to manage it. He can only post stuff "when he thinks of it". So the scatterbrain **** that appears in his feed is indicative of the complete lack of ability to focus on anything but "ratings", "deals", his next meal, and golf. And he needs someone else to clean up his droppings when he makes a mess in his cage.

2) If he does NOT run the account, it seems likely that staffers have been writing all his output for some time. This has been posited from a long time back. The length, complexity and grammatical correctness of his posts have been giving it away. Various analyses have indicated way north of 50% of Trumpty's tweets were not written by him. And perhaps the "covfefe" and "Whales" gaffes were thrown in by competent writers trying to deflect attention from other contentious issues. Bait and switch.

3) If point (2) is correct, the selective deletes and reposts indicate someone who is au fait with Twitter as a communications tool rather than as an extension of his dementia and shaving-mirror. And that ain't Trumpty! Trumpty can't drive an umbrella or a glass of water or stairs. His hair is thinning because there's no nourishment under there. Complex operations like a smartphone and Twitter media and content management are almost certainly the work of someone like SS-Gruppenfuhrer Miller. Confirmed from having watched Miller at work on TV slamming out almost the exact same words and ideas as these shooter manifestos.

So we should not be looking so much at Trump's twitter contribution as those feeding him the lines. People much smarter than Trump, and much, MUCH more dangerous.
I get the impression there are campaign managers right now that Trump is listening to. They may act with a Trump nod or it could be they are acting on their own, Trump doesn't pay much attention to details.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:58 AM   #105
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post

But, her emails...
Old 5th August 2019, 12:38 PM   #106
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I almost wish I believed in hell so the Devil could prepare an extra hot place for the GOP ers who enable this kind of bigotry in cynical pursuit of political power.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:46 PM   #107
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This afternoon he, or whoever has charge of his Twitter account, began deleting all of the tweets referring to immigrants as "invaders". I suspect that is as close as we can expect him to ever come to acknowledging a measure of culpability.
Got news for Trump; once you tweet something, it's out there forever. Particulary in Donnie's case since a few thousand politicasl operatives and journalists are carefully saving all of Trump's tweets.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:48 PM   #108
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I almost wish I believed in hell so the Devil could prepare an extra hot place for the GOP ers who enable this kind of bigotry in cynical pursuit of political power.
Close your eyes and think of the supreme court victories Kavanaugh will lead to.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:46 PM   #109
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Someone has taken the first page of the shooter's manifesto and drawn lines from the things he's said to public statements by Trump and other mainstream right-wing voices saying the same things. Spoilered for size:

Old 5th August 2019, 03:53 PM   #110
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A Republican senator has said that there is "obvious racist and immoral activity within our party", and that that Republicans who are not speaking out against those people in the party are complicit
Old 5th August 2019, 03:54 PM   #111
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Someone has taken the first page of the shooter's manifesto and drawn lines from the things he's said to public statements by Trump and other mainstream right-wing voices saying the same things. Spoilered for size:

Now, now...it's violent video games, no prayer in schools, and mental illness that are behind racist attacks and mass shootings. Inflammatory rhetoric from Trump and right wing pundits and easy access to guns, particularly assault style weapons, have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:07 PM   #112
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Guess who's leaving the party next.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He won't last long......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2019, 04:15 PM   #114
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Guess who's leaving the party next.
We need a betting pool on this...not if he leaves, but when.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2019, 04:33 PM   #115
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Got news for Trump; once you tweet something, it's out there forever. Particulary in Donnie's case since a few thousand politicasl operatives and journalists are carefully saving all of Trump's tweets.
Sadly in this case, Trump's got news for me: he hasn't, in fact, deleted any of the tweets referring to Mexicans as an "invasion" after all. He's comfortable leaving them up, even in the face of the El Paso massacre.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:47 PM   #116
Lurch
Muse

Watching the Racist-in-Chief mechanically reading the teleprompter's words without affect reveals so clearly that he's an unempathetic sociopath. Can't even *act* like he cares. And gives the racists, bigots and white supremacists a clear signal that he's merely (barely) playing a part expected of him.

At his rallies, when mockingly clowning about how "presidential" comportment looks, he gives us a revealing look into his corrupted ethos and vacant soul. And confirms it with his wooden performance when the situation demands that a real President come to the fore.

Contrast this with Obama's forceful, heart-felt, emotional appearances after similar tragedies.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:49 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Sadly in this case, Trump's got news for me: he hasn't, in fact, deleted any of the tweets referring to Mexicans as an "invasion" after all. He's comfortable leaving them up, even in the face of the El Paso massacre.
I don't think it matters any;once you tweet something, even if you delete it a minute later it is out there forever.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2019, 04:50 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Watching the Racist-in-Chief mechanically reading the teleprompter's words without affect reveals so clearly that he's an unempathetic sociopath. Can't even *act* like he cares. And gives the racists, bigots and white supremacists a clear signal that he's merely (barely) playing a part expected of him.

At his rallies, when mockingly clowning about how "presidential" comportment looks, he gives us a revealing look into his corrupted ethos and vacant soul. And confirms it with his wooden performance when the situation demands that a real President come to the fore.

Contrast this with Obama's forceful, heart-felt, emotional appearances after similar tragedies.
I don't think this country can survive five more years of this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2019, 05:01 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Watching the Racist-in-Chief mechanically reading the teleprompter's words without affect reveals so clearly that he's an unempathetic sociopath. Can't even *act* like he cares. And gives the racists, bigots and white supremacists a clear signal that he's merely (barely) playing a part expected of him....
He's also did an occasional [drug use] sniff.
Old 5th August 2019, 05:33 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Besides getting the city itself wrong, idiot Trump can't even read correctly from his teleprompter. He said, "May God bless the memory of those who perished in Toledo. May God protect them,” when the teleprompter actually said

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics