ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , racism incidents , racism issues , shooting incidents , Texas incidents

Old 8th August 2019, 02:26 AM   #241
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The White House rebuffed the DoJ's push to increase focus on domestic terrorism, instead insisting on a focus primarily on "the jihadist threat"
Old 8th August 2019, 02:29 AM   #242
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...39013024391168

Quote:
So Trump's first public comments after meeting with victims of the El Paso mass shooting is to call Sherrod Brown a failed presidential candidate who polled at 0%
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 8th August 2019, 02:30 AM   #243
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1159241454235062273

Quote:
Here is a real thing that happened:

Based on nothing, the president and aides accused a mayor and senator of misrepresenting how he was treated...on a hospital visit...to shooting victims. In fact, they’d said he was received warmly.

My fact check:
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 8th August 2019, 02:32 AM   #244
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/speechboy71/stat...06835758899201

Quote:
All eight shooting victims declined to be visited by the president https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit....co/QAk5G8wRTe
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 8th August 2019, 02:36 AM   #245
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He did, but it became more frequent and more blatant under Trump. I posted a link upthread which details his rhetoric over the years.

Did you ever watch this 45-second clip?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 02:43 AM   #246
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He actually dated black women many years ago.
I'm amazed that anyone still thinks something like that is any kind of evidence.

I'm reminded of the cringe-inducing Ricky Gervais character David Brent.

His (white) co-worker calls him out for saying something racist. I forget what. It doesn't matter. His idea is to call up his black friend and give some phoney excuse to get his friend to come see him at his office. The real reason of course in only to "show up" his co-worker (in his own mind) by showing her that he has a black friend. In his mind, this will prove that he isn't a racist and humiliate her.
Old 8th August 2019, 03:34 AM   #247
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
In his mind, this will prove that he isn't a racist and humiliate her.
Did it work?
Old 8th August 2019, 03:56 AM   #248
dann
Philosopher

Once upon a time, young white men considered 'race mixing' to be the pinnacle of romance. They might not yet go as far as falling in love with African Americans, but Mexican maidens were really hot and worth dying for!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 04:03 AM   #249
dann
Philosopher

I'm amazed that anyone still thinks something like that is any kind of evidence.

His (white) co-worker calls him out for saying something racist. I forget what. It doesn't matter. His idea is to call up his black friend and give some phoney excuse to get his friend to come see him at his office. The real reason of course in only to "show up" his co-worker (in his own mind) by showing her that he has a black friend. In his mind, this will prove that he isn't a racist and humiliate her.
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Did it work?

If this is the beginning, my guess is that it probably didn't.

I AGREE
Old 8th August 2019, 04:11 AM   #250
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He actually dated black women many years ago.

I'm reminded of Anthony Jeselnik: "Some of my best friends are black ... for Halloween."
Old 8th August 2019, 04:14 AM   #251
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yes, but at horrendous cost and with scars that exist to this day.
You're not wrong, but I think the scars date from even before the articles of confederation.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 04:16 AM   #252
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Why can't video games contribute to the culture of violence?

I think people are just casually dismissing it because it came out of the mouth of Puritanical conservatives since the 90s.
No, I'm casually dismissing it because there's no evidence for it. Also, because there's evidence against it. Also, because the correlation makes sense much more in the reverse. Think about it. Humans have had violent fiction for ages. You think it more likely that it's a source of human violence, or an expression of it?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 06:46 AM   #253
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump consistently uses "dating' to mean 'having sex with", I think.
Old 8th August 2019, 07:35 AM   #254
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He can't be racist. There was that one time he specifically requested a black prostitute.
Old 8th August 2019, 08:04 AM   #255
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yep proof that no matter what the Dixiecrat party platform was Strom Thurmond couldn't even be racist as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...acial-history/

So policies keeping blacks out of swimming pools and segregation were clearly not racist too.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #256
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I doubt there's much of a difference for Trump. I'm sure most, if not all, of his "dating" experience is almost entirely transactional in nature. Sleep with me and you'll get limited access to my daddy's money.

Somehow I doubt his courtship with Melania involved much subtle flirtation and a deep emotional connection.
Old 8th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #257
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No, I'm casually dismissing it because there's no evidence for it. Also, because there's evidence against it. Also, because the correlation makes sense much more in the reverse. Think about it. Humans have had violent fiction for ages. You think it more likely that it's a source of human violence, or an expression of it?
Why aren't the people making these games, living and breathing these games as they make these passion projects, committing violence?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #258
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

At least someone had concerns about the shooter having access to firearms...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/el...ing/index.html
The El Paso shooting suspect's mother called the Allen, Texas, Police Department weeks before the shooting because she was concerned about her son owning an "AK" type firearm.
According to the family's attorneys, the mother's inquiry was "informational" in nature and was not motivated out of a concern that her son posed a threat to anybody.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 09:12 AM   #259
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Quote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/el...ing/index.html

The mother contacted police because she was worried about her son owning the weapon given his age, maturity level and lack of experience handling such a firearm,
None of these things are legally actionable. Even in states with "red flag" laws, I doubt this would clear the bar for an emergency order. A general concern that someone is too immature or inexperienced to own guns is not something the police can act on.
Old 8th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #260
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
None of these things are legally actionable. Even in states with "red flag" laws, I doubt this would clear the bar for an emergency order. A general concern that someone is too immature or inexperienced to own guns is not something the police can act on.
As pathetically stupid as that is...

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 10:22 AM   #261
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
He's been like this the entire time - it's just that it took all this for you to notice.

I picked up on it...at least 4 years ago.
Thanks. You are far better at reading incoherent nonsense than I am. Most of the posts look like posting while drunk, but maybe I should reconsider that. Though, it's not a byline I seek out or pause to consider much.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 10:30 AM   #262
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No surprise there. White nationalists are Trump's most reliable voters. Plus, I think the evidence abounds that Trump is a white supremacist himself. Then there are all those white supremacists Trump filled the WH with.
Old 8th August 2019, 10:33 AM   #263
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I thought none of the TX victims wanted to meet with Trump, as you noted yourself a couple posts later.

Edited to add, I see all the follow up posts and given what a liar Trump is, maybe he visited victims in his mind.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th August 2019 at 10:44 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 10:41 AM   #264
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Byron York actually took a look at the El Paso shooter's manifesto. Guess what? The media have been mis-reporting it. I know, shock of shocks, right?

Quote:
"My ideology has not changed for several years," Crusius wrote. "My opinions on automation, immigration, and the rest predate Trump and his campaign for president. I [am] putting this here because some people will blame the President or certain presidential candidates for the attack. This is not the case. I know that the media will probably call me a white supremacist anyway and blame Trump's rhetoric. The media is infamous for fake news. Their reaction to this attack will likely just confirm that."

That was the only time Trump appeared in the manifesto, and it appears clear that Crusius borrowed his "fake news" characterization of the news media from the president. But that is not what Trump's critics have charged. They have charged that Trump inspired Crusius to kill. They have charged it so often in the last few days that it has hardened into a general perception that Crusius was inspired by the president. But read the manifesto. It's just not there.
A Trump supporter, who only mentioned Trump once and then only to say that his beliefs predated Trump, and that Trump did not inspire him.

Another part of the manifesto dealt with his concerns about automation taking away jobs and that a universal basic income and universal healthcare was needed:

Quote:
The automation threat, Crusius continued, means the U.S. "will have to initiate a basic universal income to prevent widespread poverty and civil unrest as people lose their jobs." (Crusius shared an interest in universal basic income, or UBI, and a pessimism about job retraining, with Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang.) Crusius' idea was that fewer "invaders" meant more resources for government programs. "Achieving ambitious social projects like universal healthcare and UBI would become far more likely to succeed if tens of millions of dependents are removed," he wrote.
So his biggest problem with immigrants appears to be that they are making it hard to pass UBI and universal health care?

Last edited by Brainster; 8th August 2019 at 10:46 AM.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 11:26 AM   #265
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Byron York actually took a look at the El Paso shooter's manifesto. Guess what? The media have been mis-reporting it. I know, shock of shocks, right?

A Trump supporter, who only mentioned Trump once and then only to say that his beliefs predated Trump, and that Trump did not inspire him.

Another part of the manifesto dealt with his concerns about automation taking away jobs and that a universal basic income and universal healthcare was needed:

So his biggest problem with immigrants appears to be that they are making it hard to pass UBI and universal health care?
Clearly not a racist, and he was obviously not inspired by Trump's racist agenda, as racist as that is.

Good find, tho. Took a Trumpist reporter for a tabloid rag to actually read the manifesto (well, the parts of it that were relevant to paint a picture of a guy not inspired by Trump's racist rhetoric. I'm sure there's nothing sinister in the rest of it). I guess all the other reporters who have already published this information were making it up.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 8th August 2019 at 11:30 AM.
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #266
plague311
Great minds think...

Trump totally didn't make me do this, he was just on my mind while I was writing out my manifesto because of how closely our thoughts, verbiage, and desires mimic each others.

Sure, seems legit.

That's not the way it reads to me at all. To me it reads that BECAUSE of automation we would need those things for when people lose their jobs, not that he wants it.

The second part doesn't say he's pro or against, it just says that those things would be easier to pass without immigrants.

But you're right though. That totally proves that going to a wal-mart and shooting immigrants after the POTUS has said all of the terrible things he's said has nothing to do with the POTUS at all.

It's ****** up that the GOP is the "party of personal responsibility" yet not a single GOPer wants to take responsibility when someone uses their views to do terrible ****.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 8th August 2019 at 11:34 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 11:37 AM   #267
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Trump totally didn't make me do this, he was just on my mind while I was writing out my manifesto because of how closely our thoughts, verbiage, and desires mimic each others.

Sure, seems legit.

That's not the way it reads to me at all. To me it reads that BECAUSE of automation we would need those things for when people lose their jobs, not that he wants it.

The second part doesn't say he's pro or against, it just says that those things would be easier to pass without immigrants.

But you're right though. That totally proves that going to a wal-mart and shooting immigrants after the POTUS has said all of the terrible things he's said has nothing to do with the POTUS at all.

It's ****** up that the GOP is the "party of personal responsibility" yet not a single GOPer wants to take responsibility when someone uses their views to do terrible ****.
The shooter doth protest too much.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 12:15 PM   #268
dann
Philosopher

That is the racist belief of the shooter and his peers: If it weren't for the immigrants, we would have UBI and health care. That we don't have health care has nothing whatsoever to do with health insurance corporations and that we don't have UBI has nothing to do with the purpose that society is pursuing: enriching the billionaire class.
The USA would be paradise on Earth if the immigrants weren't there. Build the Wall! Send them back!
Old 8th August 2019, 12:22 PM   #269
BrooklynBaby
Muse

I didn't even have to come here to know the lefties would be lying about the El Paso nut-job being a Trump supporter. Thanks for never disappointing.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 12:25 PM   #270
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You know someone is going to have to do a parody of that old Marty Robbins
ballad "Streets Of El Paso" about Donnie's visit.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 12:27 PM   #271
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ranks right down there with "Some of my best friends are Jewish"...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 12:28 PM   #272
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

Sure, seems legit.

The hand waving away of the racist elements in the Manifesto is just astonishing.
Sad to see somebody who I had a certain amount of respect for join the Cult Of Dear Leader...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:30 PM   #273
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
I didn't even have to come here to know the lefties would be lying about the El Paso nut-job being a Trump supporter. Thanks for never disappointing.
And I knew you would be echoing anything that dares to be critical of Dear Leader. THanks for not disappointing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th August 2019, 01:05 PM   #274
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The hand waving away of the racist elements in the Manifesto is just astonishing.
Sad to see somebody who I had a certain amount of respect for join the Cult Of Dear Leader...
What lines are being waived?
Old 8th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #275
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Quote:
Even if you ignore the fact that you are taking a mass murderer at his word (not sure about you, but such a person is not someone I would think woudl have a lot of integrity)....

Even if you ignore the fact that in his manifesto the shooter used phrases that were commonly used by Trump (such as the phrases "fake news" and "invasion")

What makes either of you think the claim of him being a 'pro-Trump' supporter depended only on the manifesto?

A Twitter account, under the name @outsider609, that appeared to belong to Crusius was taken down by Twitter late Saturday night. On the Twitter account, which was last active in 2017, Crusius liked and retweeted several pro-Trump photos and memes....In February 2017, he liked a tweet by a user showing a photo of several guns positioned to spell out “Trump.” The tweet read, “I’m extremely proud to call Trump my President! He’s doing a wonderful job and is truly going to #MAGA! #MondayMotiviation.”

So yeah, I think someone who gives a big 'thumbs up' to a post claiming "Trump is doing a wonderful job" could be classified as a Trump supporter.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 01:19 PM   #276
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Ranks right down there with "Some of my best friends are Jewish"...
Or my Lawyer is Jewish of Roy Moore.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 01:23 PM   #277
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Hmm, I've seen both those quotes several times, even on MSNBC, but it's true that most brief accounts didn't mention it. I also thought FOX was already beating the drum about that paragraph before Byron York? Anyway, the terrorist can claim he already had anti-immigrant beliefs, who knows, but that's a very unconvincing denial that Trump's rhetoric pushed him to action now. I don't see why anyone would believe that, given the echos of Trump's rhetoric all through it. And in context, the part about UBI and UHC looks like a half-hearted rationalization.

Nope, once again, Trump is not exonerated.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 05:24 PM   #278
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He can't be racist. There was that one time he specifically requested a black prostitute.
...and would a racist pay for all those non-white women to have abortions like he did?
Old 8th August 2019, 05:25 PM   #279
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I want to see the Trumpies here defend his making the El Paso visit all about the size of his crowds.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th August 2019, 06:15 PM   #280
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I want to see the Trumpies here defend his making the El Paso visit all about the size of his crowds.
It was crass, it was ridiculous, it was an embarrassment.

But it was also Trump talking to medical staff, if I recall. It wasn't meeting with victims of the shooting. It was inappropriate and needy, but it didn't make the visit "all about" the size of his crowds.

The man assumed that everyone would be just as fascinated by him and his accomplishments as he is. To be fair, I do that some too, though hopefully not to this extent.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics