ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , Kentucky incidents , Mitch McConnell

Old 6th August 2019, 10:12 AM   #41
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
So now move on. No need to keep harping on this inconsequential crap like it's the biggest political thing ever.
Hyperbole!

You're right though. How dare I post something related to politics, in the politics section of a forum, and then proceed to talk about it with mild interest when I could have just shut the **** up in the first place?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:18 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The U.S. is in a very precarious position right now...
Yeah, I agree with that. I guess an apology could've helped, though I'm not sure about that. Chances are these kids are going to get doxxed either way.

Quote:
Are you conceding that the way the Turtle handled the issue was wrong?
I think the turtle pretty much does everything wrong.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:20 AM   #43
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, I agree with that. I guess an apology could've helped, though I'm not sure about that. Chances are these kids are going to get doxxed either way.

I think the turtle pretty much does everything wrong.
Doxxing requires someone to search for and find information about someone. These kids willingly shared their picture and their actions with everyone on their twitter account. You can't "doxx" someone that willingly gives their identity without trying to mask it in any way.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:26 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Doxxing requires someone to search for and find information about someone. These kids willingly shared their picture and their actions with everyone on their twitter account. You can't "doxx" someone that willingly gives their identity without trying to mask it in any way.
No but you can distribute the information, the name of their school, their addresses, etc.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #45
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The tragicomic part is that although those young men won't agree with the suggestion it's very likely that some of them will change their politics considerably as they mature.

I'm glad there was no internet or cell phone cameras when I was that age. I was pretty extremely Republican in high school (although partly because of a cute boy) and might have done such stupid things myself then.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #46
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If they didn't publicly post their home address and phone number, they can still be doxxed.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:29 AM   #47
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Where do high schoolers get a life sized cutout of someone? I see life size cutouts of AOC advertised on eBay and Amazon but they're forty and fifty bucks.
Are you saying that one of those high schoolers has access to a printer?*

* It's possible it's a montage of several prints and a trip to Michaels for some foamcore, 3M Super77 and Hot glue sticks.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:30 AM   #48
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No but you can distribute the information, the name of their school, their addresses, etc.
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If they didn't publicly post their home address and phone number, they can still be doxxed.
I view Doxxing differently than you guys do, but it's not worth getting into.

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone posting their personal information, or even really trying to. The town is under 500 people so it's not like it would be complicated information to find.

Old 6th August 2019, 10:30 AM   #49
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So now move on. No need to keep harping on this inconsequential crap
Why is it inconsequential? Because you said so? Do you know that not everyone has the same priorities as you?

To those of us who are interested, this issue illustrates a lot of things that we have concerns about:
- a tendency towards violent rhetoric, particularly among the republicans
- A lack of interest towards properly dealing with anti-social behavior by republican politicians like mcconnell
- Prevailing sexist attitudes in society. (Yes it was just a cutout, yet they thought groping was somehow appropriate. Are these individuals going to maintain that attitude when it comes to real people?)

Quote:
like it's the biggest political thing ever.
Umm... nobody said it was 'the biggest political thing ever'. But, we already have treads discussing Trump's various crimes regarding Russia, about the possibility of a trade war destabilizing the economy, about various mass shootings, etc. The existence of this thread is not preventing anyone from posting in one of the other threads if they so chose.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:33 AM   #50
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The tragicomic part is that although those young men won't agree with the suggestion it's very likely that some of them will change their politics considerably as they mature.

I'm glad there was no internet or cell phone cameras when I was that age. I was pretty extremely Republican in high school (although partly because of a cute boy) and might have done such stupid things myself then.
They are less likely to change now, precisely because of such public outrage. It will be hard for them to find social acceptance from the left, and almost nobody adopts the ideology of a group that doesn't accept them socially.

Social media is a curse, especially for the young.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:35 AM   #51
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Quote:
Where do high schoolers get a life sized cutout of someone? I see life size cutouts of AOC advertised on eBay and Amazon but they're forty and fifty bucks.
Are you saying that one of those high schoolers has access to a printer?*

* It's possible it's a montage of several prints and a trip to Michaels for some foamcore, 3M Super77 and Hot glue sticks.
Or you can read the related Snopes article.

The cutout was not owned by the students. They did not buy it (from eBay, Amazon or anywhere else). They also did not print it out, either in whole or a montage.

It was one of several cutouts of various political figures that were on display at the church event where the photo was taken.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 10:56 AM   #52
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

The AOC obsession is real. McConnel is the Senate Majority leader. AOC is a freshman congressional member. The fact that she is even on his radar is proof that she is very effective in the public sphere.
Old 6th August 2019, 11:09 AM   #53
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

They are less likely to change now, precisely because of such public outrage. It will be hard for them to find social acceptance from the left, and almost nobody adopts the ideology of a group that doesn't accept them socially.

Social media is a curse, especially for the young.
I don't think this is true.

Social media seems like a curse to us because we would be embarrassed to have the stupidity of our youth on display, but to them it will be a group outing: all of their youthful stupidity is on display, none are excepted, thus all are immune.

As their timeline shows growth and change then their growth and change will be acknowledged by their peers.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:11 AM   #54
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The AOC obsession is real. McConnel is the Senate Majority leader. AOC is a freshman congressional member. The fact that she is even on his radar is proof that she is very effective in the public sphere.
Yeah, Fox has got this covered with their new channel.

Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:12 AM   #55
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

McConnel is the Senate Majority leader.

AOC is a first year member of the House of Representatives. She is not even his chamber of government. If he stays on the Senate side of the capital building, he wouldn't even see her in the hallways.
Old 6th August 2019, 11:14 AM   #56
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Or you can read the related Snopes article.

The cutout was not owned by the students. They did not buy it (from eBay, Amazon or anywhere else). They also did not print it out, either in whole or a montage.

It was one of several cutouts of various political figures that were on display at the church event where the photo was taken.
So the CHURCH had access to a Large Format printer?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:15 AM   #57
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

The GOP has named her the next Hillary Clinton. God help her if she ever decides to try for President, they're desperately working to get the shitflinger aimed at her. They know they probably won't have the thirty years they had to bury Clinton so they've got to work fast.
Old 6th August 2019, 11:24 AM   #58
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe, maybe not.

It could be that just because she is further to the left of the democratic party and very outspoken, that she makes a pretty good boogeyman, someone they can use to whip up the republican base. "Look at what we're fighting! Vote for us or she'll sneak into your house at night and turn you all communist!".

On the other hand, a politician like Biden wouldn't get that sort of reaction if the Republicans attacked him. More likely is the rebublican base would say "He's not so bad. Maybe I might consider voting for him if this Trump thing doesn't work out".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 6th August 2019, 11:26 AM   #59
carlitos
"más divertido"

No, she's one of the four leaders of the Democrat (sic) party.

Quote:
“The Democrat party is now being led by four left-wing extremists who reject everything that we hold dear,” Trump said of Omar and her fellow House Democrats Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts.
By custom and tradition, the Democrat (sic) party assigns leadership to the four most left-leaning freshmen congresscritters. That's why Ocasio-Cortez is Speaker of the House, with Tlaib serving as majority whip.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:17 PM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yeah, Fox has got this covered with their new channel.
On-point satire. Nice.

Old 6th August 2019, 12:21 PM   #61
Donal
Illuminator

Maybe, maybe not.

It could be that just because she is further to the left of the democratic party and very outspoken, that she makes a pretty good boogeyman, someone they can use to whip up the republican base. "Look at what we're fighting! Vote for us or she'll sneak into your house at night and turn you all communist!".

On the other hand, a politician like Biden wouldn't get that sort of reaction if the Republicans attacked him. More likely is the rebublican base would say "He's not so bad. Maybe I might consider voting for him if this Trump thing doesn't work out".
Mitch McConnell literally went on a Sunday morning show to declare Biden a socialist. He called all of his past opponents socialists. He uses it because they've been red baiting for years
Old 6th August 2019, 12:51 PM   #62
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think this is true.

Social media seems like a curse to us because we would be embarrassed to have the stupidity of our youth on display, but to them it will be a group outing: all of their youthful stupidity is on display, none are excepted, thus all are immune.

As their timeline shows growth and change then their growth and change will be acknowledged by their peers.
I don't think all will be immune. Instead, all will be vulnerable to capricious enforcement. Piss off the wrong people for the wrong reason, and something in your past will be dug up. And whatever growth happens over time won't matter, because the mob never cares about such nuance.
Old 7th August 2019, 01:26 AM   #63
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
First hats and now shirts are threatening?

Why do Democrats hate clothes?
No. Wrong again! (Color me surprised, for one.)

The clothes ain't the issue. The mock molestation is.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 7th August 2019 at 01:31 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 06:18 AM   #64
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The mock molestation is even more heinous in light of the fact that ICE agents have done something similar in the recent past - the McConnell campaign is obviously trying to provoke AOC with taunts of sexual violence.
Old 7th August 2019, 06:27 AM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The mock molestation is even more heinous in light of the fact that ICE agents have done something similar in the recent past - the McConnell campaign is obviously trying to provoke AOC with taunts of sexual violence.
It's psychologically revealing as well: Republicans loathe AOC because she is The Other, but simultaneously they feel an attraction to her and what she represents.
Old 7th August 2019, 08:24 AM   #66
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not.

Remember, these individuals are from Kentucky, one of the more backwards states in the U.S. (One that went overwhelmingly to Trump in 2016.) I expect that most of them will never actually be exposed to any significant 'left wing' message.

So rather than going from being uncontrolled youth to rational adults, they probably would have maintained their attachment to the racist and bigoted rhetoric that is coming from the Republican party, and 20 years from now they would be sitting in the audience at some Trump Jr. Presidential rally, waving their little nazi flags.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 7th August 2019, 08:30 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Maybe, maybe not.

Remember, these individuals are from Kentucky, one of the more backwards states in the U.S. (One that went overwhelmingly to Trump in 2016.) I expect that most of them will never actually be exposed to any significant 'left wing' message.

So rather than going from being uncontrolled youth to rational adults, they probably would have maintained their attachment to the racist and bigoted rhetoric that is coming from the Republican party, and 20 years from now they would be sitting in the audience at some Trump Jr. Presidential rally, waving their little nazi flags.
How many people remain in the same state they went to high school in?
Old 7th August 2019, 10:17 AM   #68
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I don't think all will be immune. Instead, all will be vulnerable to capricious enforcement. Piss off the wrong people for the wrong reason, and something in your past will be dug up. And whatever growth happens over time won't matter, because the mob never cares about such nuance.
I suppose we can just sit back and watch with the comfort of knowing it is not going to be our problem.

Until then, type "former white supremacist" or "former neo-nazi" into google and you will get plenty of examples of people moving on from their old life without a mob attacking them.

Unless you just get a bunch of weird porn. Maybe I should have cleaned out my cache . . .

Old 7th August 2019, 10:22 AM   #69
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

How many people remain in the same state they went to high school in?
Weirdly enough, quite a few:
a notable number — nearly four-in-ten — have never left the place in which they were born.
Caveats: Old article that looks only at over to a "new community", not a "new state", but still surprising to those of us who have moved quite a bit.

Old 7th August 2019, 10:23 AM   #70
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Unless you just get a bunch of weird porn. Maybe I should have cleaned out my cache . . .
Open on living room view, doorbell ringing. SCANTILY CLAD WOMAN gets up from couch and opens the door. Geek Squad Technician is on the other side.
SCW: "Can I help you?"
GST: "I'm here to clean out your cache, ma'am."
SCW: "Oh, come in..."
*Start music...*

Old 7th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #71
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

a notable number — nearly four-in-ten — have never left the place in which they were born.
Caveats: Old article that looks only at over to a "new community", not a "new state", but still surprising to those of us who have moved quite a bit.
I sometimes forget how unusual I am compared to the rest of the public. I didn't even stay in the same state I went to high school in when I was still going to high school! Other people lead weird lives, no wonder they're crazy amd make out with cardboard politicians. Although a cardboard AOC is still infinitely more attractive than a real Mitch McConnell. (I nearly said "flesh and blood" but I don't think he has any of the former and what he has of the latter he stole from sleeping victims.)
Old 7th August 2019, 10:58 AM   #72
Venom
Master Poster

When do their female peers come forward with news?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 11:17 AM   #73
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I've moved quite a bit, but I still think of myself as having mostly stayed in one place.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 11:27 AM   #74
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I sometimes forget how unusual I am compared to the rest of the public. I didn't even stay in the same state I went to high school in when I was still going to high school! Other people lead weird lives, no wonder they're crazy amd make out with cardboard politicians. Although a cardboard AOC is still infinitely more attractive than a real Mitch McConnell. (I nearly said "flesh and blood" but I don't think he has any of the former and what he has of the latter he stole from sleeping victims.)
I had a friend who was working in Mississippi and asked an older woman he was talking with where she would want to go if she could travel anywhere in the world and budget was not an issue. Her answer was that she always wished that she could visit Graceland. He had just flown in to Memphis because it was the closest airport to this part of Mississippi. It was a day trip from her home and yet she had never been.

It doesn't make sense to you or me, but these people are not uncommon.

Old 7th August 2019, 11:29 AM   #75
ahhell
Master Poster

It's psychologically revealing as well: Republicans loathe AOC because she is The Other, but simultaneously they feel an attraction to her and what she represents.
Nonsense, Republicans love AOC. They lover her because she is significantly more radical than most Dems and she's good looking. They get to paint the dems as a bunch of socialists(albeit democratic socialists) and they get to ogle a hot chick. That's all there is to their fascination.

Other than that this thread is silly. A bunch of teenage boys did something stupid, not a story.

It turns out that stupid thing related to politics, suddenly its a story about how bad the GOP is.

The comparison to What's her name with the fake beheading is pretty silly too. The anger was directed at her(mostly, I'm sure you can find some nit wit blaming the Dems generally), a celebrity. If the anger at her was directed at Pelosi, that would be a reasonable what aboutism.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 11:30 AM   #76
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I've moved quite a bit, but I still think of myself as having mostly stayed in one place.
I've moved quite a bit and yet I still live in the state I was born in. I've worked in a few others over the years, but always found my way back. I would never move back to my hometown, though. Even though my parents still live there I only visit a couple times a year at most.

Old 7th August 2019, 11:32 AM   #77
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Nonsense, Republicans love AOC. They lover her because she is significantly more radical than most Dems and she's good looking. They get to paint the dems as a bunch of socialists(albeit democratic socialists) and they get to ogle a hot chick. That's all there is to their fascination.

Other than that this thread is silly. A bunch of teenage boys did something stupid, not a story.

It turns out that stupid thing related to politics, suddenly its a story about how bad the GOP is.

The comparison to What's her name with the fake beheading is pretty silly too. The anger was directed at her(mostly, I'm sure you can find some nit wit blaming the Dems generally), a celebrity. If the anger at her was directed at Pelosi, that would be a reasonable what aboutism.
The only story I find interesting is that Team Mitch was so ham fisted with their response. This should have been easy to dismiss, but instead they face planted on the dismount.

Old 7th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #78
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

"Cleaning your cache" probably what got you into trouble in the first place. That and the "buffer overflows" and the "core dumps". It's enough to give someone a kernel panic!
Old 7th August 2019, 11:35 AM   #79
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Zounds!!!
What a terrible thing!!! High School kids acting like idiots!!! Who woulda thunk it???
Punishment and retribution must be dealt out to these kids or no cardboard box will be safe!!!

I suggest paper cuts with salt added in order to send a strong message that high school kids that act like idiots in group settings (about 99.999998 % by latest reckoning) will start to use their underdeveloped brains and raging hormones to bake cookies and help nuns across streets.

Thank gawd all of the hand wringing adults commenting about this non-event were Mary Poppins Practically Perfect in their youth!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 7th August 2019 at 11:40 AM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 11:44 AM   #80
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Zounds!!!
What a terrible thing!!! High School kids acting like idiots!!! Who woulda thunk it???
Punishment and retribution must be dealt out to these kids or no cardboard box will be safe!!!

I suggest paper cuts with salt added in order to send a strong message that high school kids that act like idiots in group settings (about 99.999998 % by latest reckoning) will start to use their underdeveloped brains and raging hormones to bake cookies and help nuns across streets.

Thank gawd all of the hand wringing adults commenting about this non-event were Mary Poppins Practically Perfect in their youth!
How DARE you comment on something you think is overblown? I'm reporting you to the discussion authorities!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics