ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st March 2019, 03:29 AM   #1
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The day the dinosaurs died

Interesting article in The New Yorker Magazine

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...dinosaurs-died

An article about the discovery of a site containing fossils that almost certainly were directly killed by the Chicxulub impact. The site is also peppered with tektites and micro impact craters (similar to fossil ones seen from hailstones).
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 04:08 AM   #2
philkensebben
Illuminator

A long long time ago
I cant remember when
Terrible lizards would make each other smile
And I knew If I had my chance
I'd blow away that comet with my lance
and they'd be happy for a while

But the Cretaceous event made me shiver
with all the deaths that it delivered

The day the dinosaurs died.....
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 05:02 AM   #3
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

An article about the discovery of a site containing fossils that almost certainly were directly killed by the Chicxulub impact. The site is also peppered with tektites and micro impact craters (similar to fossil ones seen from hailstones).
Maybe. I recognize the name. There is some controversy surrounding it. But if true it really is astonishing.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 01:56 PM   #4
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

And the paper is out

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../27/1817407116

Quote:
Significance
The Chicxulub impact played a crucial role in the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction. However the earliest postimpact effects, critical to fully decode the profound influence on Earth’s biota, are poorly understood due to a lack of high-temporal-resolution contemporaneous deposits. The Tanis site, which preserves a rapidly deposited, ejecta-bearing bed in the Hell Creek Formation, helps to resolve that long-standing deficit. Emplaced immediately (minutes to hours) after impact, Tanis provides a postimpact “snapshot,” including ejecta accretion and faunal mass death, advancing our understanding of the immediate effects of the Chicxulub impact. Moreover, we demonstrate that the depositional event, calculated to have coincided with the arrival of seismic waves from Chicxulub, likely resulted from a seismically coupled local seiche.

Abstract
The most immediate effects of the terminal-Cretaceous Chicxulub impact, essential to understanding the global-scale environmental and biotic collapses that mark the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction, are poorly resolved despite extensive previous work. Here, we help to resolve this by describing a rapidly emplaced, high-energy onshore surge deposit from the terrestrial Hell Creek Formation in Montana. Associated ejecta and a cap of iridium-rich impactite reveal that its emplacement coincided with the Chicxulub event. Acipenseriform fish, densely packed in the deposit, contain ejecta spherules in their gills and were buried by an inland-directed surge that inundated a deeply incised river channel before accretion of the fine-grained impactite. Although this deposit displays all of the physical characteristics of a tsunami runup, the timing (<1 hour postimpact) is instead consistent with the arrival of strong seismic waves from the magnitude Mw ∼10 to 11 earthquake generated by the Chicxulub impact, identifying a seismically coupled seiche inundation as the likely cause. Our findings present high-resolution chronology of the immediate aftereffects of the Chicxulub impact event in the Western Interior, and report an impact-triggered onshore mix of marine and terrestrial sedimentation—potentially a significant advancement for eventually resolving both the complex dynamics of debris ejection and the full nature and extent of biotic disruptions that took place in the first moments postimpact.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:52 PM   #5
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Article in National Geographic online with good detail referencing the paper:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...us-extinction/

Concerns from other scientists include the fact that the New Yorker article contains much more detail, such as claims about dinosaur fossil finds, that are not in the paper.
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

The only inconsistency I fail to understand is how they can claim marine species were washed into the freshwater valley, yet in another part of the article it says the timing was off.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:45 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Millions of years ago, but they can set the timing of the Tsunami in Montana to one hour after impact at Chixtalatamimab ??? ( or did I confuse the crater with the latest cancer chemo?)
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 07:15 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

99.9999% of all life on Earth died? I find that hard to believe given the rest of the data I've seen. I don't know what his source is for that. And there's some weird stuff in the article, like calling a mushroom "signature" of nuclear explosions, which is pretty silly but typical of media reporting about nuclear weapons.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 07:30 AM   #9
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Millions of years ago, but they can set the timing of the Tsunami in Montana to one hour after impact at Chixtalatamimab ??? ( or did I confuse the crater with the latest cancer chemo?)
The spherules in the gills apparently chemically match the type ejected by the Chicxulub impact, which are found all over the place. So that places it soon after the impact. Then I think they did a quick calculation about how quickly a shockwave and resultant tidal surge would take.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 01:30 PM   #10
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
A long long time ago
I cant remember when
Terrible lizards would make each other smile
And I knew If I had my chance
I'd blow away that comet with my lance
and they'd be happy for a while

But the Cretaceous event made me shiver
with all the deaths that it delivered

The day the dinosaurs died.....

So philkensebben, please tell the court what exactly happened when you arrived at the levee, just after midnight, after you parked your Chevy? And what was your reaction when you realized that the bunch of good ol' boys drinking whiskey 'n rye that night whom you normally party with were not a bunch of good ol' boys at all, but were, in fact and according to your own testimony, " a bunch of drunken ******* dinosaurs"?!! That enraged you, didn't it? And that's when you decided that they had to be silenced forever?!!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 06:14 PM   #11
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Daddy was a theropod.
On the east side of Laramidia.
Back in the USA.
Back in the bad old days.

The night the dinos died.
Na na na na na na na na na na na na na.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:04 AM   #12
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

BBC Inside Science podcast interview with the Manchester author of the PNAS paper

https://open.spotify.com/episode/31fQ8Mzv1DjDHrfoD8Wvfo

well worth a listen, explaining how they chose what to include in the first paper.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology