ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th March 2019, 09:44 AM   #1
therival58
Muse

Arrow Deuterium water is hurting mitochondria function

Our friend Jack Kruse is back! This time, we discuss how deuterium in foods and water slows mitochondria ATP function, which decreases the spinning speed and magnetic fields generated by mitochondria.

https://www.blublox.com/blogs/news/a...ium-and-health

Quote:
What is Deuterium?

Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen. An isotope is another form of the same element that contains an equal number of protons but what differs is the number of neutrons in their nuclei. Isotopes therefore have differing masses but their chemical properties and how they behave in most chemical reactions are identical.

Hydrogen has two isotopes, deuterium and tritium. We will not discuss tritium but instead focus on deuterium. Deuterium has a neutron in its nuclei which makes it denser than hydrogen. Hydrogen does not have a neutron present in its structure.

Last edited by kmortis; 1st April 2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Post shortened to comply with Rule 4
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 09:56 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Thanks for the warning.

I'll restrict my Deuterium intake to 0.016% of all the hydrogen I consume.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what hydrinos do for your mitochondria?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 10:52 AM   #4
ahhell
Master Poster

What about tritium? Should I be concerned?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 10:54 AM   #5
3point14
Pi

This is heavy, Doc!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:59 AM   #6
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Our friend Jack Kruse is back! This time, we discuss how deuterium in foods and water slows mitochondria ATP function, which decreases the spinning speed and magnetic fields generated by mitochondria.
Does that mean if you drink water that contains deuterium, you won't be able to use the Force?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian/Legends

OOps, never mind... that's midichlorians, not mitochondria.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 01:06 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Well, sure!

And did you know that an MRI scan will force ALLL of your electron orbits into the same plane?

That is bound to help use the Force to contact the Midlothians. Especially while wearing a tin foil hat in a parabolic cone shape, to focus the wwwwwwaves. Gee, until my recent MRI I hadn't noticed that "wwwwwaves" start with a wwwwwwwave form. Coincidence? I think not....
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I wonder what hydrinos do for your mitochondria?
Easy, they will provide infinite energy and eternal youth, provided you never actually use them.
Plus, there needs to be some way to introduce them to your body and that causes engineering problems at the moment.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 02:14 PM   #9
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Easy, they will provide infinite energy and eternal youth, provided you never actually use them.
Plus, there needs to be some way to introduce them to your body and that causes engineering problems at the moment.
Just ten more years!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
... So hydrogen is very important to optimal human survival when explained at a quantum level.
Sorry, none of that statement had the slightest thing to do with QM, which makes this "conclusion" a red flag. In any event, standard biochemistry would apply.
Old 29th March 2019, 02:45 PM   #11
therival58
Muse

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Sorry, none of that statement had the slightest thing to do with QM, which makes this "conclusion" a red flag. In any event, standard biochemistry would apply.
Biochemistry is half the equation; only 'biophysics' gives the full picture!
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 10:38 PM   #12
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

If only you understood Quantumbiochemophysics, you'd get it.
Old 30th March 2019, 02:20 AM   #13
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

To be fair, there is some evidence that maybe deuterium is actually harmful to life in high enough concentrations as it cannot quantum tunnel trough enzymes like hydrogen and would thus inhibit some enzyme functions.

Of course, the concentrations required are ridiculous and not in any way present in normal water.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 07:04 AM   #14
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Biochemistry is half the equation; only 'biophysics' gives the full picture!
To be fair, I've been looking into chemiosmosis, and the proton pump does seem to be at the scale that could experience quantum effects, though not seemingly the core mechanism. Fascinating overall, as the pump is the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics at work, holy cow. Also, to be fair, biophysics is indeed very much a thing. As for deuterium, I was busy chasing down what the effect of an extra neutron might be, but then... dinner was served.

So, I hereby issue you my official apology. To be fair to me, QM is so often a red flag that I went for it myself.
Old 30th March 2019, 12:12 PM   #15
therival58
Muse

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
To be fair, there is some evidence that maybe deuterium is actually harmful to life in high enough concentrations as it cannot quantum tunnel trough enzymes like hydrogen and would thus inhibit some enzyme functions.

Of course, the concentrations required are ridiculous and not in any way present in normal water.
Jack Kruse was on a podcast based out in Australia and he said most of the health problems being experienced in Australia is due to their high deuterium diet. Apparently the rainfall in Austalia has high deuterium content, so maybe deuterium is higher in different parts of the world?
Old 30th March 2019, 12:16 PM   #16
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
To be fair, I've been looking into chemiosmosis, and the proton pump does seem to be at the scale that could experience quantum effects, though not seemingly the core mechanism. Fascinating overall, as the pump is the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics at work, holy cow. Also, to be fair, biophysics is indeed very much a thing. As for deuterium, I was busy chasing down what the effect of an extra neutron might be, but then... dinner was served.

So, I hereby issue you my official apology. To be fair to me, QM is so often a red flag that I went for it myself.

Then what explains the the spinning head of the mitochondria?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 12:18 PM   #17
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Jack Kruse was on a podcast based out in Australia and he said most of the health problems being experienced in Australia is due to their high deuterium diet. Apparently the rainfall in Austalia has high deuterium content, so maybe deuterium is higher in different parts of the world?
Of course, deuterium being heavier it just naturally sinks to the bottom of the world.
Old 30th March 2019, 12:19 PM   #18
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

A simple search indicates that dangerous levels in humans probably require 25-50% if water to be replaced by heavy water.
If Australia's rain contained THAT much deuterium it would be the worlds premier nuclear power.
Old 30th March 2019, 12:44 PM   #19
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Yes it is heavier, so it sinks to the bottom of the world.

OMG I was beat to the punch line!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 08:09 PM   #20
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
If only you understood Quantumbiochemophysics, you'd get it.
Sounds like a job for Neuroquantumbiochemophysics.
Old 31st March 2019, 08:02 AM   #21
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Oh hell, I guess we shouldn't leave out Albert then.

Relativisticneuroquantumbiochemophysics

If you understood that you'd understand everything, you'd get even really stupid jokes.

Last edited by Cheetah; 31st March 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 08:10 AM   #22
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post

Oh hell, I guess we shouldn't leave out Albert then.

Relativisticneuroquantumbiochemophysics

If you understood that you'd understand everything, you'd get even really stupid jokes.

Only relevant if the joke is traveling a significant portion of the speed of humor or in close proximity to a large comedy well.
Old 31st March 2019, 08:51 AM   #23
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Only relevant if the joke is traveling a significant portion of the speed of humor or in close proximity to a large comedy well.

Well that's on a whole 'nother level of complexity, I mean everyone who understands - and there aren't many - agree that the theory of Relativity is child's play in comparison to Steinein's theory of Relevancy. You shouldn't mention it, it just confuses people.
Old 31st March 2019, 11:35 AM   #24
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Then what explains the the spinning head of the mitochondria?
The mitochondrial ATP synthase is actually a fascinating molecular rotor that turns as it pumps protons across the mitochondrial membrane and makes ATP from ADP. One of the only examples of a biological "wheel."

Unfortunately the rest of the OP is largely Jabberwocky.

Last edited by Giordano; 31st March 2019 at 11:37 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 07:56 PM   #25
therival58
Muse

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The mitochondrial ATP synthase is actually a fascinating molecular rotor that turns as it pumps protons across the mitochondrial membrane and makes ATP from ADP. One of the only examples of a biological "wheel."

So Kruse almost got it right this time, but not quite
Old 31st March 2019, 08:17 PM   #26
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Sounds like a job for Neuroquantumbiochemophysics.
Or what we mutant Aussies call bull-****.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:31 AM   #27
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

So Kruse almost got it right this time, but not quite
As I see it he does manage to state several scientific facts, although often they are not directly related to one another or are taken out of context. But then he puts them all together in a paper bag together with more crazy ideas, shakes it wildly, tears it open, and reports the result as a revelation.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:21 PM   #28
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

As I see it he does manage to state several scientific facts, although often they are not directly related to one another or are taken out of context. But then he puts them all together in a paper bag together with more crazy ideas, shakes it wildly, tears it open, and reports the result as a revelation.
Yes, but you need to sprinkle it with a bit of lunacy to REALLY make to work.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:34 PM   #29
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

kinetic isotope effect

Some enzyme-catalyzed reaction show a kinetic isotope effect. Most of the time deuterium produces a decrease in the rate, when compared with its lighter isotope. However, this is about the only sliver of truth I can find in the notion presented in the opening post.
Old 8th April 2019, 05:36 PM   #30
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

bacterial flagella

The bacterial flagella also rotates in response to the protonmotive force, as you probably are aware. It can also change directions, which has never ceased to amaze me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology