ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:51 AM   #321
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Looks like April Fools!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 10:53 AM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But why? He has already claimed he has had proof for decades that hydrinos exist. I thought he was working on his prototype commercial model generators now? Seems a rather large step backwards to me.
Old 1st April 2019, 11:41 AM   #323
jrhowell
Muse

I see nothing in that about the continuous generation of power. It refers to "continuum light", which apparently means a continuous spectrum vs. one with lines.

Both this and their recent calorimetry results are based on operation in a one-shot mode. They are assuming that no unexpected reactions are occurring that could account for the supposed excess energy. Without actual continuous operation there is a lot of room for measurement/experimental error.

-----
Added: A one-shot reaction that occurs in a very short amount of time produces a lot of power, but not much energy.

Last edited by jrhowell; 1st April 2019 at 12:04 PM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:55 AM   #324
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

From the claim, "no energy releasing conventional chemical reaction was possible"

Out a unicorns behind there is no possibility!!
Another complete lie!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 12:31 PM   #325
HappySkeptic99
Scholar

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
From the claim, "no energy releasing conventional chemical reaction was possible"

Out a unicorns behind there is no possibility!!
Another complete lie!
True. Also, "The mean duration of the radiation in the nine tests was about 860 μs" . So, they have 1 MW for less than a millisecond. They blow up a silver shot containing water, with an arc welder, and get some modest energy for a tiny bit of time.

There are a number of very questionable estimations in this measurement, including both the calibration of the UV, and the calibration of the electrical input.

They also claim problems with EM pulses, so have they made sure that isn't affecting their measurements?

There is also the possibility of this just being a scam, but there might be some energy to be had from blowing up silver along with water, in a plasma. AgO doesn't give enough energy to compensate for the H2O hydrolysis (I haven't looked up AgO2), but there may be a Silver Hyroxide compound that would give net energy.

Still, pyrotechnics plus bad calibration and consideration of reactants = a scam that keeps giving.

Question, why release the results of a measurement in October 2017 now? There wasn't much analysis done. This could've been done in 2 weeks. This seems like desperation.

Also, they got maybe 1KJ of energy (by their own claims maybe 2KJ, which is probably not reality) out of 80g of silver, worth about $50. Perhaps some of the silver was recoverable as slag, but that is still $10 of silver used up. 1 kWH is worth about 6 cents, but would cost $36,000 of silver. Not a great ROI!

Last edited by HappySkeptic99; 1st April 2019 at 12:57 PM.
HappySkeptic99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 04:14 PM   #326
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

My mistake. I misread. Thanks for the corrections.
Old 1st April 2019, 04:46 PM   #327
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by HappySkeptic99 View Post
True. Also, "The mean duration of the radiation in the nine tests was about 860 μs" . So, they have 1 MW for less than a millisecond. They blow up a silver shot containing water, with an arc welder, and get some modest energy for a tiny bit of time.
Also as i recall, they prepare that "silver shot" in a particular fashion. So the energy consumed in simply creating the shot fuel would have to be subtracted from that modest energy output.
Old 1st April 2019, 05:17 PM   #328
HappySkeptic99
Scholar

Also, they got maybe 1KJ of energy (by their own claims maybe 2KJ, which is probably not reality) out of 80g of silver, worth about $50. Perhaps some of the silver was recoverable as slag, but that is still $10 of silver used up. 1 kWH is worth about 6 cents, but would cost $36,000 of silver. Not a great ROI!
OOps, that was 80mg of silver, worth about 5 cents. Still, 1kWH would be $36 of silver.
HappySkeptic99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:29 AM   #329
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

There are a number of very questionable estimations in this measurement, including both the calibration of the UV, and the calibration of the electrical input.

They also claim problems with EM pulses, so have they made sure that isn't affecting their measurements?

There is also the possibility of this just being a scam, but there might be some energy to be had from blowing up silver along with water, in a plasma. AgO doesn't give enough energy to compensate for the H2O hydrolysis (I haven't looked up AgO2), but there may be a Silver Hyroxide compound that would give net energy.

Still, pyrotechnics plus bad calibration and consideration of reactants = a scam that keeps giving.

Question, why release the results of a measurement in October 2017 now? There wasn't much analysis done. This could've been done in 2 weeks. This seems like desperation.

The "paper" linked to is about "experiments" in Feb and March of this year.
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:19 AM   #330
HappySkeptic99
Scholar

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The "paper" linked to is about "experiments" in Feb and March of this year.
Did you read the paper? https://brilliantlightpower.com/pdf/...ort_040219.pdf

It specifically says that the measurements were from August and October 2017.

Perhaps you are thinking about the water bath video?

Last edited by HappySkeptic99; 2nd April 2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:53 PM   #331
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Did you read the paper? https://brilliantlightpower.com/pdf/...ort_040219.pdf

It specifically says that the measurements were from August and October 2017.

Perhaps you are thinking about the water bath video?
Yeah crossed wires, I was thinking you were talking about the "Calorimetry" paper, sure SBs link lead to that originally!
Old 5th April 2019, 02:57 PM   #332
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

1st Quarter Update

Shareholder meeting presentation
Old 5th April 2019, 03:07 PM   #333
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Meh...

Same old same old.

With Edison yet...

I was only able to get the shareholder presentation.

I couldn't find any 1Q19 update.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 5th April 2019 at 03:09 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2019, 05:23 AM   #334
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Meh...

Same old same old.

With Edison yet...

I was only able to get the shareholder presentation.

I couldn't find any 1Q19 update.
Whilst it is, it is also a reset, all those promises of commercial prototypes... oh dear we are back to the beginning again, got to prove the research again...
Old 7th April 2019, 08:27 AM   #335
Hans
Philosopher

Talking

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Whilst it is, it is also a reset, all those promises of commercial prototypes... oh dear we are back to the beginning again, got to prove the research again...
Looks like the professional 'talkers up' have been pulled back. I wonder if Mills will use his same old tried and true method - used the last few decades - 'contracts, full production, yadda yadda'. LOL
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 06:34 AM   #336
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Looks like the professional 'talkers up' have been pulled back. I wonder if Mills will use his same old tried and true method - used the last few decades - 'contracts, full production, yadda yadda'. LOL

Well, it has been quite a few years since he "sold" anything to anyone, so he should probably look into scamming selling it to someone else, he's due.

Of course, this will be a bit harder than the last time, what with there not being sky-high oil prices and an economic downturn making people desperate to find cheaper energy.

Perhaps he could try selling it to all the Albertans outraged over the new Canadian Carbon Tax. "Stick it to Justine True-dough's Libtards! They can tax carbon, but they can't tax Hydrinos(TM)*!"

Come to think of it, could you fake up a reason why a Hydrino reaction could cut down on CO2 production? I'm sure there's coal fired plants out there run by morons who would fall for it.

"*because they don't exist...."
Old 9th April 2019, 07:37 AM   #337
HappySkeptic99
Scholar

They are links to the same PDF.

Really, are shareholders going to sit still for all those slides?

I actually got angry reading it. It is so full of B.S. . There is literally zero information on successful energy production - only a few glowy or explody things, and a talk of how they "might" produce energy with the SunCell or Magneto-hydrodynamic generator.

They did go out of their way to say that everything about Hydrinos are now "proved", 100% and conclusively. They are the biggest ***** liars around. The thing is, the number of people in the company that know it is lies, might only be a few people. I bet they have very strong NDAs at the company, preventing any whistle-blowing. I doubt they have many Ph.D.s on staff, either.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:07 PM   #338
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, it has been quite a few years since he "sold" anything to anyone, so he should probably look into scamming selling it to someone else, he's due.

Of course, this will be a bit harder than the last time, what with there not being sky-high oil prices and an economic downturn making people desperate to find cheaper energy.

Perhaps he could try selling it to all the Albertans outraged over the new Canadian Carbon Tax. "Stick it to Justine True-dough's Libtards! They can tax carbon, but they can't tax Hydrinos(TM)*!"

Come to think of it, could you fake up a reason why a Hydrino reaction could cut down on CO2 production? I'm sure there's coal fired plants out there run by morons who would fall for it.

"*because they don't exist...."

Yes what lies will he try next? Same old same old or something new.....It is exciting watching a scam live (one feels for the defrauded investors thou)
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:09 AM   #339
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

CSurveyGuy has popped his head round the door of the subreddit

As I'm sure the majority here don't follow the subreddit, CSurveyGuy is a physicist who was a frequent poster on the sub, and who spent his time challenging Mills' theory, often by delving in to the maths or where it contradicted known physics, and often would post by taking one element of Mills' book and challenging supporters to show how it was derived, how it followed on from what was already known, and how it led to the next step.

He's currently taking a year away from the forum, but has reappeared just to make the post above, which I think it a great explanation for why physicists don't take Mills' theory seriously, and is a good way to try to get his supporters to look at it in depth and see whether it really passes the smell test.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:58 PM   #340
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The replies include good examples of how people support cranks and pseudoscience with idiotic arguments.

optiongeek: A "Miils" argument that asserting things about currents in rings magically produces an induced electric field that stabilizes Mills electron as a shell around a nucleus woo.
Rings have the same problem as a shell - they are unstable. Even worse, they repel each other and so a perturbation is more likely to make the "shell" break.

WupWup9r: Uses Mills idiocy. Abysmally ignorant assertions about QM makes QM wrong and his woo correct. A delusion that Schrodinger and scientists of his time were "geocentralists"! WupWup9r stupidity that theory should not be driven by data.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 06:03 PM   #341
JeanTate
Master Poster

CSurveyGuy has popped his head round the door of the subreddit

As I'm sure the majority here don't follow the subreddit, CSurveyGuy is a physicist who was a frequent poster on the sub, and who spent his time challenging Mills' theory, often by delving in to the maths or where it contradicted known physics, and often would post by taking one element of Mills' book and challenging supporters to show how it was derived, how it followed on from what was already known, and how it led to the next step.

He's currently taking a year away from the forum, but has reappeared just to make the post above, which I think it a great explanation for why physicists don't take Mills' theory seriously, and is a good way to try to get his supporters to look at it in depth and see whether it really passes the smell test.
He gives one such explanation.

Another is that Mills’ predictions - i.e. the values for various parameters - differ from experimentally determined values (many of them anyway), by more than 3 sigma (sometimes by much, much more).

If you accept Mills’ claims at face value, just a single, robust mismatch is enough reason to ignore the whole thing ....
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 12:57 AM   #342
MarcoM85BG
New Blood

Hi everybody,

I'm Marco Marchesi from Italy, a chemist. I got interested in Mills' theory because of the CP approach, so also about the hydrino-related work and the Suncell. I'm quite fascinated about the theory and the possibility to finely calculate all the numbers of atom and molecule physics, but I'm also quite disturbed about the big late in the so-called "hydrino" energy technologies.

So, my question.

Look at the registered Raman spectra (attached, sorry, I can't post URLs yet)
And look at the calculations (attach 02).

My own results are that the showed spectra is related to something diatomic, with a bond length of circa 0,36 Ångström, very like the half of a "normal" hydrogen molecule (so also the smallest known molecule).

Had anyone done this calculation yet?
Do you maybe have an other "classical" explanation for this results or the origin of this spectra?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Hope you like my contribution.
* sorry for the italian in the excel frame
Kind regards,
M.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raman Spettroscopy 02.jpg (41.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Raman Spettroscopy 01.jpg (35.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by MarcoM85BG; 16th April 2019 at 01:07 AM.
MarcoM85BG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:42 AM   #343
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
He gives one such explanation.
I did say "a", not "the".
Old 16th April 2019, 04:52 AM   #344
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
WupWup9r: Uses Mills idiocy. Abysmally ignorant assertions about QM makes QM wrong and his woo correct. A delusion that Schrodinger and scientists of his time were "geocentralists"! WupWup9r stupidity that theory should not be driven by data.
He's a weird one. Claims to be an engineer, to work in a lab, to have worked with researchers at top universities, and to have the knowledge/access to equipment to have attempted to build his own hydrino reactor before Mills shut him down, but he's absolutely terrible at critical thinking. Half of what he posts is completely irrelevant to what everybody else is talking about, he's 100% in on the whole "all physicists are deliberately suppressing Mills' research because they earn their living from quantum mechanics being true", will buy wholesale anything said by an authority that agrees with him, and if presented with facts that contradict his beliefs will either come up with convoluted reasons for why those facts cannot be true or are irrelevant, or will completely switch his reasoning on a dime to incorporate those facts while not altering the conclusion that he draws from those facts one iota.

His posts remind me of the worst of the cranks that we've had here over the years who have claimed to be able to disprove Einstein, etc., except that if what he posts is true he actually should be qualified to offer some meaningful commentary rather than being comparable to someone who's just pulled an idea out of the aether and thinks that that's the same thing as doing science.

I mean, it shouldn't surprise me, given what I know about the way the human mind works, but I can't help but have it strike me as odd.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:34 AM   #345
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by MarcoM85BG View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm Marco Marchesi from Italy, a chemist. I got interested in Mills' theory because of the CP approach, so also about the hydrino-related work and the Suncell. I'm quite fascinated about the theory and the possibility to finely calculate all the numbers of atom and molecule physics, but I'm also quite disturbed about the big late in the so-called "hydrino" energy technologies.

So, my question.

And look at the calculations (attach 02).

My own results are that the showed spectra is related to something diatomic, with a bond length of circa 0,36 Ångström, very like the half of a "normal" hydrogen molecule (so also the smallest known molecule).

Had anyone done this calculation yet?
Do you maybe have an other "classical" explanation for this results or the origin of this spectra?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Hope you like my contribution.
* sorry for the italian in the excel frame
Kind regards,
M.M.
Welcome to the forum and thread MarcoM85BG,

According to the operation procedure...

https://smif.pratt.duke.edu/sites/sm...edure_Rev9.pdf

the 1200 grating and 325nm laser configuration is not within the operational functionality for the Horiba Jobin Yvon LabRam Aramis Raman/PL System
Old 16th April 2019, 03:47 PM   #346
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I'm Marco Marchesi from Italy, a chemist...So, my question.

Hi MarcoM85BG. This thread has been going for a couple of years and Mills previous stupidity with the Raman spectra has been explained before. Mills ignorance of physics has been explained before (frequent ignorant claims that his results cannot come from standard physics when physicists say that they can!).

As a chemist, you will have used scientific instruments. You know that they come with manufacturer's instructions on how to use them to get valid data. You know that if you violate these instructions, you will get invalid results. That is what Mills spent years doing. That is the period where that Raman "spectra" was published.

Your calculations are not for this thread and are based on invalid data as above. The thread is about Mills' calculations, e.g. in Mills' deluded and lying book.

P.S. Raman spectroscopy is "is a spectroscopic technique used to observe vibrational, rotational, and other low-frequency modes in a system". If that spectra were valid the peaks need not come from vibrating hydrogen molecules and especially not from Mills hydrino delusion.

You may not understand how deluded hydrino are, MarcoM85BG, since you seem to believe in Mills theory.
  • Mills does not have a "CP theory". Mills has assertions with classical physics and cherry picked parts of QM. That includes QM energy levels. What QM says about adding energy levels below the ground state is that the lowest level becomes the ground state. Thus a normal hydrogen atom in Mills' delusion would be in the lowest possible hydrino state. This does not happen in the real world. Mills stops this with a catalyst delusion.
  • Mills has the delusion that a bound election is a atomic sized shell around a nucleus.
    Chemists expect that this is a delusion because they know about chemical bonds and their shapes.
  • Mills has the delusion that a bound election is a atomic sized shell around a nucleus.
    High school science students suspect this is a delusion because they know about the shell theorem. The net force between the shell and nucleus is zero wherever the nucleus is within the shell. Bump the shell and the nucleus is ejected!
    The measured size of bound electrons is less than that of a proton!
    The upper limit of the radius of an electron is 10-22 meters from considering an electron in a Penning trap.
  • Mills has the delusion that a free election is some kind of flying disk.
    Electrons scattering from each other act like small, spherical particles.
  • Mills has the delusion that he can arbitrarily add QM features to classical physics.
    QM theory includes the experimental observation that quantum particles have intrinsic spin that is impossible in classical physics. Mills merely asserts that electrons have that QM spin.

Last edited by Reality Check; 16th April 2019 at 04:14 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 04:19 PM   #347
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

...and the possibility to finely calculate all the numbers of atom and molecule physics,
Are you aware that all of the maybe hundreds of ionization energies listed in Mills' book are wrong, MarcoM85BG?
Mills even emphasizes this in his tables with % differences from measured values. The possibility of getting correct values is only in Mills head.

On the other hand, QM calculations do get correct values.
Old 20th April 2019, 06:02 AM   #348
malbui
Beauf

I now have my Tesla Model 3 and a very fine car it is indeed. Where's the BLP generator to stick in the boot so I never have to worry about recharging again?
Old 20th April 2019, 07:40 AM   #349
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I now have my Tesla Model 3 and a very fine car it is indeed. Where's the BLP generator to stick in the boot so I never have to worry about recharging again?
It was put on the delivery unicorn last week; are you sure it hasn't reached you yet?
Old 21st April 2019, 03:49 PM   #350
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Latest video from BLP?
Maybe an actual HydrinoTM based product on the shelves now?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Mike!; 21st April 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology