ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th March 2019, 11:38 AM   #2001
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,357
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
... and your ego felt it important enough to create this entirely hilarious thread in order to parade around and tell people about your life as though you're just a world-weary sage who's been given the short end of the stick...
Just FYI, he didn't create the thread, a moderator did. It's a split from another thread.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 11:41 AM   #2002
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Just FYI, he didn't create the thread, a moderator did. It's a split from another thread.
Fair enough. Although one can't browse this thread without getting the feeling that Scorpion really loves to talk about Scorpion. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he sat conversing with himself in the mirror. I don't have much sympathy.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 11:44 AM   #2003
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
There is. You have been quite open in sharing your diagnosis of mental illness. Hearing voices is a rather commonplace experience for people suffering from certain forms of mental illness.

Most people describe this as "butterflies", but yah, you're simply describing symptoms of anxiety.


He doesn't know anything about this because it is not real, but he will claim that he does. Have fun sliding around on the carpet in your socks.
You simply assume there is nothing in spiritualist theories, but you do not know. Why should mentally ill people hear voices ? You have no idea, so it is possible there may be unintelligent astral entities that obsess people, as spiritualist mediums say.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 11:55 AM   #2004
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You simply assume there is nothing in spiritualist theories, but you do not know. Why should mentally ill people hear voices ? You have no idea, so it is possible there may be unintelligent astral entities that obsess people, as spiritualist mediums say.
You believe without proof, you use blind faith, and you accept what daft people tell you because you're daft enough to believe that they're actually talking to spirits, when the closest they've ever gotten to any spirit is in the booze aisle of their local Asda. And you go and talk about things people don't know.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:13 PM   #2005
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
You believe without proof, you use blind faith, and you accept what daft people tell you because you're daft enough to believe that they're actually talking to spirits, when the closest they've ever gotten to any spirit is in the booze aisle of their local Asda. And you go and talk about things people don't know.
Yea, it must be irritating that I don't capitulate, and turn myself in at the nearest mental hospital. But my entire life experience is that there probably is a spirit world, and they do communicate with us through some genuine mediums.

I am not put in my place by a bunch of atheists, because I think you are all wrong about almost everything.

I say again there must be a reason that people like me hear voices and I am about to risk life and limb exposing myself to static electricity to see if the voices are driven out. It won't be soon as Amazon predict it will be weeks before I receive my wimshurst machine. Maybe it has to come from abroad.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:18 PM   #2006
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,357
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I say again there must be a reason that people like me hear voices and I am about to risk life and limb exposing myself to static electricity to see if the voices are driven out.

Is there someone in your life that you trust that knows about this plan?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:22 PM   #2007
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yea, it must be irritating that I don't capitulate, and turn myself in at the nearest mental hospital. But my entire life experience is that there probably is a spirit world, and they do communicate with us through some genuine mediums.

I am not put in my place by a bunch of atheists, because I think you are all wrong about almost everything.

I say again there must be a reason that people like me hear voices and I am about to risk life and limb exposing myself to static electricity to see if the voices are driven out. It won't be soon as Amazon predict it will be weeks before I receive my wimshurst machine. Maybe it has to come from abroad.
Who's you? You know nothing about my views on virtually anything besides how I think your views are silly, obviously unproven psychobabble. So, here's ten points for your own ironic ignorance about other peoples views.

Of course there's a reason you hear voices, you're suffering paranoid delusions that have been groomed by a few weird money-grabbing people who take advantage of your plight.

Talk about being wrong about everything, lol.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:24 PM   #2008
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Is there someone in your life that you trust that knows about this plan?
No, but I will unbolt the door, so that if my sister cannot get me on the phone, she can get in without breaking down the door. I have been reading up on the safety of wimshurst machines, and as far as I can tell a low charge will not harm me, although it might be painful. I intend to try the machine out until I know how to store a low charge in the capacitors, then apply it to my stomach.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:26 PM   #2009
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, but I will unbolt the door, so that if my sister cannot get me on the phone, she can get in without breaking down the door. I have been reading up on the safety of wimshurst machines, and as far as I can tell a low charge will not harm me, although it might be painful. I intend to try the machine out until I know how to store a low charge in the capacitors, then apply it to my stomach.
Seems like a good idea. You should film this nonsense and post it up to Youtube, for science. Either that or you should get a grip of yourself and come back down to earth.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:28 PM   #2010
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Who's you? You know nothing about my views on virtually anything besides how I think your views are silly, obviously unproven psychobabble. So, here's ten points for your own ironic ignorance about other peoples views.

Of course there's a reason you hear voices, you're suffering paranoid delusions that have been groomed by a few weird money-grabbing people who take advantage of your plight.

Talk about being wrong about everything, lol.
Paranoid delusions is one thing, but hearing voices in your ears is another. There is no doubt I hear voices whispering to me when it is quiet and there must be a reason for it. I am going to see if the reason is I have entities in my aura and they respond to static. That is an experiment worth trying.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:31 PM   #2011
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Paranoid delusions is one thing, but hearing voices in your ears is another. There is no doubt I hear voices whispering to me when it is quiet and there must be a reason for it. I am going to see if the reason is I have entities in my aura and they respond to static. That is an experiment worth trying.
You're hearing voices in your head, like many people with paranoid delusions do, some people see things which aren't there, like my friend, who committed suicide by jumping in the Mersey last year. He didn't get the help that he needed, and neither are you, you should think about that before you meet the same end that he did due to paranoid delusions.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:34 PM   #2012
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
You're hearing voices in your head, like many people with paranoid delusions do, some people see things which aren't there, like my friend, who committed suicide by jumping in the Mersey last year. He didn't get the help that he needed, and neither are you, you should think about that before you meet the same end that he did due to paranoid delusions.
Sorry about your friend but I have been at this for donkeys years, and am not suicidal.

As I said, paranoid delusions are not the same thing as hearing voices.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:39 PM   #2013
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Sorry about your friend but I have been at this for donkeys years, and am not suicidal.

As I said, paranoid delusions are not the same thing as hearing voices.
Here's your future, mate: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...-took-14905211

He had the same delusions, and he began doing strange things, like what you're doing with this static electricity crap you're planning.

He was seeing bugs that weren't there, spiders crawling in his bed, hearing voices, was found jogging in the streets without shoes on, all manner of things that should've set warning signals off, but nobody took it seriously, much like you don't take your problem seriously.

That's your future, mate. Seek the help that you need before you're fished out of a river and need your dental records to identify your decaying, bloated corpse. My mate can't be helped now, but you can. Do yourself a favour.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:48 PM   #2014
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Here's your future, mate: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...-took-14905211

He had the same delusions, and he began doing strange things, like what you're doing with this static electricity crap you're planning.

He was seeing bugs that weren't there, spiders crawling in his bed, hearing voices, was found jogging in the streets without shoes on, all manner of things that should've set warning signals off, but nobody took it seriously, much like you don't take your problem seriously.

That's your future, mate. Seek the help that you need before you're fished out of a river and need your dental records to identify your decaying, bloated corpse. My mate can't be helped now, but you can. Do yourself a favour.
It is unfortunate what happened to your friend. Did he get any anti psychotic medication? Because that is about all the help you get in Britain today.
Psychiatrists are over stretched and there is no talking therapy for schizophrenics. I would not have objected to a nice national health nurse holding my hand, but there is no chance of that either.

The modern drugs do work, and I am on a low dose of abilify, but it does not stop the voices.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 12:52 PM   #2015
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It is unfortunate what happened to your friend. Did he get any anti psychotic medication? Because that is about all the help you get in Britain today.
Psychiatrists are over stretched and there is no talking therapy for schizophrenics. I would not have objected to a nice national health nurse holding my hand, but there is no chance of that either.

The modern drugs do work, and I am on a low dose of abilify, but it does not stop the voices.
There's a great deal more to the story than what was reported by the Echo, but basically, he was poorly managed, some of my friends are making a case, but I don't know the details.

You can be helped, Scorpion, and you seem to allude to wanting someone to help you out, because it doesn't seem like you're in a happy place. I may laugh and joke, but I wouldn't wish for you to end up being pulled out of a river, mate.

There are options out there, places to go, people to talk to, but you have to want to do it, nobody can force you. Think about these things before doing anything silly, that's all I'll say on the matter. Good luck to you.

BTW, I agree, simply medicating a person isn't a way to solve the issue, but it can go a long way to helping solve the issue, and it can't be ignored, IMO.

As for the mediums who're giving you advice, I'd take them with a healthy pinch of salt, they don't seem to me to be your friends. If you have any friends that you can trust, speak to them, because my friend Chan kept his problems largely to himself, and look what happened there...
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 24th March 2019 at 12:55 PM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 01:37 PM   #2016
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,339
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There is no doubt I hear voices whispering to me when it is quiet and there must be a reason for it.
The reason is that you have schizophrenia and hearing voices is a symptom of schizophrenia, in the same way that pain in the joints is a symptom of arthritis and spots on the skin is a symptom of measles. There are treatments and drugs that alleviate the symptoms of most illnesses, even chronic ones, but schizophrenia is a particularly tricky one I know, and it's sometimes difficult to find the right treatment for every patient. I hope you find a more effective treatment soon, but you won't get it from spiritualists and other woo merchants.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 01:49 PM   #2017
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The reason is that you have schizophrenia and hearing voices is a symptom of schizophrenia, in the same way that pain in the joints is a symptom of arthritis and spots on the skin is a symptom of measles. There are treatments and drugs that alleviate the symptoms of most illnesses, even chronic ones, but schizophrenia is a particularly tricky one I know, and it's sometimes difficult to find the right treatment for every patient. I hope you find a more effective treatment soon, but you won't get it from spiritualists and other woo merchants.
Nobody knows how or why schizophrenics hear voices.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 01:58 PM   #2018
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,357
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Nobody knows how or why schizophrenics hear voices.
You've actually recently cited a study that explains how a majority, maybe even all, schizophrenics hear voices.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 02:12 PM   #2019
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You've actually recently cited a study that explains how a majority, maybe even all, schizophrenics hear voices.
They may hear voices, but how and why?
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 02:19 PM   #2020
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,357
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
They may hear voices, but how and why?
You cited the study. I provided a link to the study you cited. Did you read it? You only have to read the abstract, not the whole thing, to get the general conclusion. People even repeated the explanation in the thread.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 02:35 PM   #2021
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,339
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Nobody knows how or why schizophrenics hear voices.
The mechanism may not be completely understood but that does not alter the fact that hearing voices is a symptom of this particular illness. The illness causes the brain to malfunction, and that malfunction manifests as this symptom. It's no different to the other examples I gave, even if how this illness produces this symptom is less well understood than how, say, arthritic joints produce pain.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 24th March 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 06:41 PM   #2022
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,018
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
As for the mediums who're giving you advice, I'd take them with a healthy pinch of salt, they don't seem to me to be your friends.
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I hope you find a more effective treatment soon, but you won't get it from spiritualists and other woo merchants.

Quoted for truth.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 06:56 PM   #2023
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,089
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am going to see if the president of the spiritualist association knew what he was talking about when he said they would feel static electricity like fire and be ejected from my aura. Hopefully without electrocuting myself.
Hold on. You blew 100 bucks on a Wimshurst machine because some fool who heads up the local gullibles society told you that astral beings stuck in your aura can be ejected by static electricity?
  • How does he know that?
  • How do you know you can believe him (against, you know, all of science)?
  • How big a charge is necessary to knock the astral beings out?
  • Where do the astral beings go after being so rudely ejected?
  • Are you worried that you would anger the astral beings?
  • Is a Wimshurt capable of producing the necessary charge?
  • Can a human survive such a shock?
  • Why can't you use his?
  • Have you discussed this plan with your doctor?
  • As in, the person who prescribed Abilify for you?
  • Wouldn't it be safer/cheaper to increase your Abilify dose a bit before intentionally electrocuting yourself?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 08:46 PM   #2024
LongFuzzy
Thinker
 
LongFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, but I will unbolt the door, so that if my sister cannot get me on the phone, she can get in without breaking down the door. I have been reading up on the safety of wimshurst machines, and as far as I can tell a low charge will not harm me, although it might be painful. I intend to try the machine out until I know how to store a low charge in the capacitors, then apply it to my stomach.
I seriously suggest you DO NOT DO THIS! You obviously don't know about electricity, and you could very well store a deadly charge. Playing around with high voltage is not something for the untrained. Please for your own safety, do not use any capacitors in your attempt to dislodge your spirits. You may end up dislodging yourself.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 11:36 PM   #2025
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,317
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
I seriously suggest you DO NOT DO THIS! You obviously don't know about electricity, and you could very well store a deadly charge. Playing around with high voltage is not something for the untrained. Please for your own safety, do not use any capacitors in your attempt to dislodge your spirits. You may end up dislodging yourself.
Case in point. Old school TVs and monitors used to have a HT lead running the tube. Without due care and attention, it could easily cause insta-death.

Scorpion simply does not care.His spiritualst guru's? They don't care about him at all. They are happy and content to use him as a poster child for their woo.

I regularly get static shocks from my car/Clothes rails in stores/My ex-wife/random strangers/My cat and so forth. Scorpion thinks this is all evidence of something "other" despite the fact that static discharge is mundanely understood by pretty much anyone who has traversed a nylon carpet.

So why does Scorpion think that static lecky is evidence for spirits? Damned if I know. Damned if he knows either. It is apparently "spooky" enough to count as evidence. Or some such BS.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 07:46 AM   #2026
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,301
Umm Scorpion....

Isn't this exactly what others did to you that you hated so much 50 years ago?

But now under less controlled circumstances.
Please be smarter than this.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 08:04 AM   #2027
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Hold on. You blew 100 bucks on a Wimshurst machine because some fool who heads up the local gullibles society told you that astral beings stuck in your aura can be ejected by static electricity?
  • How does he know that?
  • How do you know you can believe him (against, you know, all of science)?
  • How big a charge is necessary to knock the astral beings out?
  • Where do the astral beings go after being so rudely ejected?
  • Are you worried that you would anger the astral beings?
  • Is a Wimshurt capable of producing the necessary charge?
  • Can a human survive such a shock?
  • Why can't you use his?
  • Have you discussed this plan with your doctor?
  • As in, the person who prescribed Abilify for you?
  • Wouldn't it be safer/cheaper to increase your Abilify dose a bit before intentionally electrocuting yourself?
Good questions.
As I said the source of the idea you can drive out astral entities was the former president of the spiritualist association, his name was Thomas Johansson and he gave a lecture on the subject in the 1970s at the spiritualist headquarters in London. I wrote to him asking how the charge of static electricity could be safely applied, but he never answered me. So I am left to draw my own conclusions. It comes down to experimenting on my own to see if I can clear my voices with static. I have no information on how much of a charge it takes to electrocute astral entities. I do not care where they go if I get rid of them. I do not think they are evolved enough to get angry with me and I don't give a damn if they do. I would be quite pleased if I hurt them.
I have read that wimshurst machines will not kill, but a shock can be painful.

I have not seen a doctor or psychiatrist for years, and I obviously would not tell them what I plan, although I might want to tell them if it is successful. But they obviously would not believe me.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 25th March 2019 at 08:07 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 08:31 AM   #2028
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Another anecdote. I went for spiritual healing at a spiritualist church a few years ago.
There were two ladies doing the healing and working together. One of them looked at the other healer and pointed at my stomach. She other one looked down and nodded. I don't know what they saw, and they said nothing to me. But I have felt disturbing feelings in my stomach for 50 years, as if something is writhing around in it.
I felt the healing as heat, and felt uplifted for days after the healing.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 08:44 AM   #2029
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Another anecdote. I went for spiritual healing at a spiritualist church a few years ago.
There were two ladies doing the healing and working together. One of them looked at the other healer and pointed at my stomach. She other one looked down and nodded. I don't know what they saw, and they said nothing to me. But I have felt disturbing feelings in my stomach for 50 years, as if something is writhing around in it.
I felt the healing as heat, and felt uplifted for days after the healing.
Again, Scorpion, this is all very familiar to me. These are warning signs, and if you don't do something actually beneficial for your mental wellbeing, then you're going to end up being found dead one day, and I don't think any of those hokey spiritualist mediums would bat an eyelid or attend your funeral, but your friends and family will. There's very little difference in the things you talk about and the things my friend talked about before he lost his mind completely and killed himself. Do what you're gonna do, but why not give one of those mediums a call and see if they'll vouch for this "static healing," and if they'll take credit for it if you end up offing yourself.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 08:49 AM   #2030
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
I seriously suggest you DO NOT DO THIS! You obviously don't know about electricity, and you could very well store a deadly charge. Playing around with high voltage is not something for the untrained. Please for your own safety, do not use any capacitors in your attempt to dislodge your spirits. You may end up dislodging yourself.
Thanks. I do know something about electricity. I am qualified in Television and electronics, and microprocessors. But I know next to nothing about static electricity apart from the fact it can destroy processors, and I used to use a wrist strap to earth myself when working on electronics circuit boards.

As far as wimshurst machines I know they build up high voltages but use low current. Since it is the current that kills I figure I can risk a shock. I will not be rushing into shocking myself though. I figure the reason stun guns are effective is they use high voltage and very low current too, but they do not normally kill unless someone has a weak heart.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 10:16 AM   #2031
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Been looking up the source of the lecture I attended on schizophrenia and I found out the name of the lecturer was Tom Johanson not Thomas Johansson. He is now dead and unless I get a message from him (joke) I cannot find out anything more about his statement that he used static electricity on people at the spiritualist association. Here is a link about him.

http://www.tomjohanson.com/
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 11:41 AM   #2032
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
I searched for ' entities in the aura' on Google and found a lot of pages about it, but none about using static to get rid of them.
I did however temporarily get my computer taken over by a site that planted a program on my computer, and I had to find the program in windows 10 and delete it before I could reset my homepage.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 01:52 PM   #2033
LongFuzzy
Thinker
 
LongFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Thanks. I do know something about electricity. I am qualified in Television and electronics, and microprocessors. But I know next to nothing about static electricity apart from the fact it can destroy processors, and I used to use a wrist strap to earth myself when working on electronics circuit boards.

As far as wimshurst machines I know they build up high voltages but use low current. Since it is the current that kills I figure I can risk a shock. I will not be rushing into shocking myself though. I figure the reason stun guns are effective is they use high voltage and very low current too, but they do not normally kill unless someone has a weak heart.
If you really know something about electricity, you would know why mixing a wimshurst (or a VDG) and capacitors is a bad idea. You really need to understand the relationship between volts, ohms, and amps. What you are contemplating can easily get you killed.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 03:00 PM   #2034
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
If you really know something about electricity, you would know why mixing a wimshurst (or a VDG) and capacitors is a bad idea. You really need to understand the relationship between volts, ohms, and amps. What you are contemplating can easily get you killed.
I am not contemplating attaching extra capacitors to the machine. I was referring to the leyden jars which come as standard with the generator. I believe they store the electric charge by capacitance.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 08:58 PM   #2035
Dabop
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 915
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am not contemplating attaching extra capacitors to the machine. I was referring to the leyden jars which come as standard with the generator. I believe they store the electric charge by capacitance.
They ARE capacitors (luckily for you if you are foolish enough to try this) very primitive and inefficient ones
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 11:21 PM   #2036
LongFuzzy
Thinker
 
LongFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
They ARE capacitors (luckily for you if you are foolish enough to try this) very primitive and inefficient ones
Yep, but if you read the users manuals for this devices, they all say, Don't put your body parts in the path of the spark. But Scorpion is qualified in Television, and electronics, and microprocessors, so he must know what's he's doing.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 06:35 PM   #2037
duffdav
New Blood
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I searched for ' entities in the aura' on Google and found a lot of pages about it, but none about using static to get rid of them.

Scorpion
Are you familiar with Dr. Carl Wickland’s book “Thirty Years Among the Dead” ?

wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wickland

According to Wickland, he emigrated from Sweden to St. Paul, Minnesota, married Anna W. Anderson and moved to Chicago, graduating from Durham Medical College in 1900. Wickland's own autobiographical sketch lists accomplishments as a general practitioner of medicine, member of the Chicago Medical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and chief psychiatrist at the State Psychopathic Institute of Chicago.

Wickland turned away from conventional medical psychology and toward the belief that psychiatric illnesses were the result of influence by spirits of the dead. Wickland came to believe that a large number of his patients had become possessed by what he called "obsessing spirits", and that low-voltage electric shocks could dislodge them, while his wife Anna acted as a medium to guide them to "progress in the spirit world". Spiritualists considered him an authority on "destructive spirits" and he wrote a book in 1924, Thirty Years Among the Dead, detailing his experiences as a psychical researcher.
duffdav is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 06:42 PM   #2038
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,089
Originally Posted by duffdav View Post
According to Wickland,
So sometime back in the 1970s at a spiritualist church (where and when most great scientific advances take place), a younger, mentally ill Scorpion with a drinking problem attends a lecture from a guy who read and paraphrased an anecdote from Wickland's book.

Fast-forward to 2019, and an older and still mentally ill (yet sober!) Scorpion eschews further medical treatment that he admitted was working to help treat his condition so that he can blow 95 bucks and potentially electrocute himself based on a wispy memory of a dude who once said something based on a book about nonsense.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 06:28 AM   #2039
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,247
Originally Posted by duffdav View Post
Scorpion
Are you familiar with Dr. Carl Wickland’s book “Thirty Years Among the Dead” ?

wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wickland

According to Wickland, he emigrated from Sweden to St. Paul, Minnesota, married Anna W. Anderson and moved to Chicago, graduating from Durham Medical College in 1900. Wickland's own autobiographical sketch lists accomplishments as a general practitioner of medicine, member of the Chicago Medical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and chief psychiatrist at the State Psychopathic Institute of Chicago.

Wickland turned away from conventional medical psychology and toward the belief that psychiatric illnesses were the result of influence by spirits of the dead. Wickland came to believe that a large number of his patients had become possessed by what he called "obsessing spirits", and that low-voltage electric shocks could dislodge them, while his wife Anna acted as a medium to guide them to "progress in the spirit world". Spiritualists considered him an authority on "destructive spirits" and he wrote a book in 1924, Thirty Years Among the Dead, detailing his experiences as a psychical researcher.
Hi! glad to see you here. No I have never heard of Carl Wickland. I do remember another medium, Ursula Roberts saying that ECT (electro convulsive therapy) could dislodge obsessing entities. I am not sure how high the voltage of ECT was, it may be in the region of 150 volts.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 06:49 AM   #2040
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,339
In order to establish whether any medical treatment is effective it is necessary to use a double blind test protocol, in order to eliminate the placebo effect and investigator bias. Do you understand why this is, Scorpion? If not I would be happy to explain it to you further. It is such protocols that enable us to show, for example, that aspirin is an objectively effective painkiller and homeopathic remedies are not, even though users of both will report perceiving some benefit from taking them.

Please describe the test protocol you intend to use to establish whether or not the machine you have ordered can "dislodge possessing entities".
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.