ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 13th April 2019, 10:39 PM   #801
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Sure, I understand the intention. But the effect is what I’m concerned with here.

So are the cities that don't want their law enforcement co-opted by ICE.

They know what the effect of that is and they don't like it.

Last edited by quadraginta; 13th April 2019 at 10:40 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 10:44 PM   #802
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Miller knows that getting ICE into local LE will cause a rise in criminal activity withing immigrant communities.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 10:50 PM   #803
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

There was a big uproar here a few months ago when a woman was detained and set for deportation after being picked up leaving from family court. The local city government, LEOs, and county courts all make a big stink about it because if part of the community fear responding to summons, it creates backlogs of cases, delays or denies justice, and raises costs of police departments who have to staff up to serve bench warrants.

About the only winners in this situation are bonding agents.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:29 PM   #804
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm assuming it's a large scale version of the "If you love illegal immigrants so much, why don't you offer to let some of them live in your house?" argument that we've seen in this forum periodically.
I have actually dreamed of an illegal (except these aren't illegal) immigrant family moving in with me. The crops they grow would help and they could cook, tile the bathrooms etc. We also have a lot of elderly people who could use some help staying in their homes. And there are complaints that there is an actual shortage of "low-skilled" workers (and I've never met any that were low-skilled to begin with).

Provide job training and work permits. That would help determine which ones are gaming the system.

I like his sanctuary cities plan. I live in a city where tens of thousands have been dropped off downtown over several months. But there does need to be some planning and coordination, which of course rules out any effort by the Trump administration.

It would be interesting to see if they had called his bluff and gotten good PR out of it. Maybe that's why he pretended they had backed down. A face-saving lie, IMO. But I could be wrong.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:11 AM   #805
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just out: The USA has the absolute legal right to have apprehended illegal immigrants transferred to Sanctuary Cities. We hereby demand that they be taken care of at the highest level, especially by the State of California, which is well known or its poor management & high taxes!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:12 AM   #806
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Hereby demand"

King Donald!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:24 AM   #807
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Just out: The USA has the absolute legal right to have apprehended illegal immigrants transferred to Sanctuary Cities. We hereby demand that they be taken care of at the highest level, especially by the State of California, which is well known or its poor management & high taxes!
HE has no such legal right, and of course his "demands" are of no concern - he wants them to be "taken care of at the highest level",he can ask congress to fund such efforts. And of course, if border agents catch actual criminals, they can be deported directly.

But he's doing a wonderful job of proving the point I, and many others, made about how he's simply imagining that he's punishing his "enemies" to whip up his xwnophobic base.

But remember, Obama once sympathized with the parents of a black teen that was chased down and shot by a wannabe vigilante. That's what really "divided the country".

Also...

Trump Tweets

So interesting to see the Mayor of Oakland and other Sanctuary Cities NOT WANT our currently “detained immigrants” after release due to the ridiculous court ordered 20 day rule. If they don’t want to serve our Nation by taking care of them, why should other cities & towns?
Suprise! Oakland's mayor said that the city welcomes refugees and immigrants.

Last edited by Mumbles; 14th April 2019 at 02:28 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:18 AM   #808
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
At some point you have to wonder how many of his followers are trickling away. Surely there must be some.
IMO his nonstop demonizing will cost him. Unlike many here I believe he has supporters who are not cravenly evil hard-core white supremacists. They seem to be still defending him, but yes, I suspect some will fall away. They like him as a disruptive force, but his wanting the U.S. military to rough people up is sickening to many military personnel and possibly a few evangelicals. The Christian left (which includes Catholics in some cases) is already repelled.

A question I've never seen answered: Can Republicans change Senate rules and go straight for the nuclear option? Because they still have a majority in the Senate. But the makeup of the House has changed, so maybe that's moot. Maybe the House can all be charged with treason for disagreeing with him politically.

Last edited by Minoosh; 14th April 2019 at 07:25 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:24 AM   #809
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
HE has no such legal right, and of course his "demands" are of no concern - he wants them to be "taken care of at the highest level",he can ask congress to fund such efforts. And of course, if border agents catch actual criminals, they can be deported directly.
For the money he's willing to spend on detention, the U.S. could put them up in suites at the Mark Hopkins.

I'm kind of amazed Trump has so far not managed to set more black people against brown people.
Old 14th April 2019, 07:26 AM   #810
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Taken care of"

Is that the same as

"Who will rid me...?"
Old 14th April 2019, 01:07 PM   #811
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

It seems blatantly obvious that all this fear-mongering by the Trump twitter feed has only one purpose: To whip up his own base. That's who it is directed at - the mindless morons who would still cheer and vote for Trump while he snacks on a raw live baby on TV. Lose the moron vote and he is politically sunk.

The other obvious point is that most of the wording and thus the composition of the content, and by extension the author of the content, is not Trump himself. There's an underlying campaign to it which a porridge-filled brain like Trump's could not hold for longer than about 10 seconds until the next piece of ass was shown on Fox TV. The evidence has been quite clear for some time that his "advisers" are the ones filling him with the anti-immigrant slogans and other hate-filled rants. It is their minds as much as Donny's that are on display here. This is Miller and Bolton and Sanders and Mnuchin as much as Trump conceiving and driving these awful twitter rants. Trump is quite clearly a sock-puppet for these repulsive people. A barrel-organ of hate who can be made to spew out anything they want by simply turning his Fox-handle (I'd love to see that as a political cartoon, btw).
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:53 AM   #812
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
For the money he's willing to spend on detention, the U.S. could put them up in suites at the Mark Hopkins.

I'm kind of amazed Trump has so far not managed to set more black people against brown people.
Putting aside for the moment the fact that some of us black folks are Haspanic or Latino. Dolt 45's anti-black racism is far more troublesome than anything any Hispanic person has done in the US.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 06:19 AM   #813
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Congress should come back to D.C. now and FIX THE IMMIGRATION LAWS!
Old 15th April 2019, 06:40 AM   #814
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Trump Tweets

...or fund the immigration courts to handle the backlog their already dealing with. Oh, no, wait. That might let more brown people in. No, better change the laws to disallow that instead.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:49 AM   #815
Armitage72
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

"Congress needs to get back to work. Well, I'm off to Mar-A-Lago to play golf."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:25 AM   #816
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

For all his bleating about "fixing" the immigration laws, has Trump ever said what he wants in the package of fixes? Or are his immigration reforms as well thought out as his health care reforms?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:45 PM   #817
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
For all his bleating about "fixing" the immigration laws, has Trump ever said what he wants in the package of fixes? Or are his immigration reforms as well thought out as his health care reforms?

He has said in the past that the legislation could be worked out in an hour, so it's safe to assume that he has no idea.

Originally Posted by Trump Tweet
It would be so easy to fix our weak and very stupid Democrat inspired immigration laws. In less than one hour, and then a vote, the problem would be solved. But the Dems donít care about the crime, they donít want any victory for Trump and the Republicans, even if good for USA!
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:12 PM   #818
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Is there any indication that his "immigration laws" are anything more than funding to build a wall?
Old 15th April 2019, 01:25 PM   #819
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Is there any indication that his "immigration laws" are anything more than funding to build a wall?
Sure! There's also "end chain migration", "restrict immigration to people who can integrate best" (by which he means white people) and "end asylum for refugees".

In other words, a bunch of white nationalist garbage.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:34 PM   #820
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Since Miller is implicit in these crimes, I just wanted to do this once...

Meh, some similarities. But Miller has puppy eyes.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:22 PM   #821
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Trump wants other people to fix everything so he can take credit for it.
Old 16th April 2019, 12:54 PM   #822
mgidm86
Philosopher

Not exactly, she's very evasive in that interview and was very careful in how she responded. She was asked at least 4 different times.

Quote:
SIMON: I've gotten two very complete answers from you to essentially the question, would you welcome more migrants? I haven't heard a yes.

SCHAAF: I said yes. Oakland welcomes all people.

SIMON: So specifically in this case, if more migrants show up, that's fine with you?

SCHAAF: My job as a mayor is to welcome people. I don't build walls. It's our job to welcome everyone into our city, ensure their safety, ensure that their families can thrive. And that is my job no matter where those people came from or how they got there.
Hilited: She was asked specifically about 5,000 people being dropped off in her city. She answered only when that number was left out of the question and she answered with general platitudes "I don't build walls...yada yada". So let's bring it down to 1,000 people:

Quote:
SIMON: Would, let's say, a thousand more immigrants greatly tax the resources of Oakland?

SCHAAF: Oakland is growing very quickly. And we welcome families. We welcome people that seek to make better lives for their families, that are willing to work hard and become wonderful members of our community.

More BS.

What would show support is if she said, "Yes, I would be fine with 5,000 illegal aliens dropped off in my town", but she did not say that. Any mayor or governor who would knowingly give sanctuary to illegals should be removed from office.

Last edited by mgidm86; 16th April 2019 at 12:55 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 01:45 PM   #823
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Not exactly, she's very evasive in that interview and was very careful in how she responded. She was asked at least 4 different times.

Hilited: She was asked specifically about 5,000 people being dropped off in her city. She answered only when that number was left out of the question and she answered with general platitudes "I don't build walls...yada yada". So let's bring it down to 1,000 people:

More BS.

What would show support is if she said, "Yes, I would be fine with 5,000 illegal aliens dropped off in my town", but she did not say that. Any mayor or governor who would knowingly give sanctuary to illegals should be removed from office.
She knows that the moment she agrees to a number, the Trumpalo-Miller tweet-machine will say "There IS a limit after all! Told you they won't accept illegals!"

I thought she made her position quite clear. If immigrants want to settle in Oakland, they would be welcome. Or is that not how you treat new Americans...?
Old 16th April 2019, 02:44 PM   #824
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Why is the idea that immigrants and families full.of hard working people are mutually exclusive hanging over the issue?
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 03:30 PM   #825
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

More BS.

Even if the said town has passed an ordinance saying we will not assist ICE?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:02 PM   #826
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What is your understanding of a sanctuary city?

Because your post sure does read like you don't have a clue. And given it's been explained over and over and over, it's clear people on the right only hear what they want to hear about sanctuary cities. And what they want to hear is not the truth.

Maybe if you actually write out what sanctuary city means it will help you actually understand and remember what it is.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:34 PM   #827
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Even if the said town has passed an ordinance saying we will not assist ICE?
Listen, you, the only people allowed to ignore laws are in the White House.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 08:41 PM   #828
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Since Miller is implicit in these crimes, I just wanted to do this once...

Meh, some similarities. But Miller has puppy eyes.

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...-large-169.jpg
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 11:34 PM   #829
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Nice catch, Venom! I think Pootie has a nicer smile though.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 16th April 2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:28 AM   #830
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Quote:
The Trump administration has opened the door to a seismic overhaul of immigration and asylum procedure that could lead to the indefinite detention of thousands of asylum seekers who cross the border illegally.

The US attorney general, William Barr, on Tuesday issued guidance overruling a precedent set by George W Bush’s justice department in 2005, which enshrined asylum seekers’ right to bond, irrespective of how they entered the country.

Barr stated in his updated guidance that the 2005 decision was “wrongly decided” and he would move to block immigration judges from offering people who have crossed the border illegally and have established a reasonable claim of torture or persecution the chance of release as their cases are decided in immigration court.
Trump administration ends right to bond for certain asylum seekers
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:06 AM   #831
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Democrats in Congress must return from their Vacations and change the Immigration Laws, or the Border, despite the great job being done by Border Patrol, will only get worse. Big sections of Wall now being built!
Old 17th April 2019, 05:10 AM   #832
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

Democrats in Congress must return from their Vacations and change the Immigration Laws, or the Border, despite the great job being done by Border Patrol, will only get worse. Big sections of Wall now being built!
Vacations? Says the Golfer-in-chief?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:19 AM   #833
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Vacations? Says the Golfer-in-chief?

Also, every Republican is just sitting there in Congress, waiting for the Democrats to come back? He makes it sound like only the Democrats are gone.
Old 17th April 2019, 09:29 AM   #834
Baylor
Philosopher

She knows that the moment she agrees to a number, the Trumpalo-Miller tweet-machine will say "There IS a limit after all! Told you they won't accept illegals!"

I thought she made her position quite clear. If immigrants want to settle in Oakland, they would be welcome. Or is that not how you treat new Americans...?
They're not Americans.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 09:32 AM   #835
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
What is your understanding of a sanctuary city?

Because your post sure does read like you don't have a clue. And given it's been explained over and over and over, it's clear people on the right only hear what they want to hear about sanctuary cities. And what they want to hear is not the truth.

Maybe if you actually write out what sanctuary city means it will help you actually understand and remember what it is.
He knows what it means.

FYI, we get a lot of these "you don't even know what that means GRGRG!@!@!!!!!!!!!! I WINZ" posts.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 09:56 AM   #836
Mumbles
Philosopher

That, right there. I'll note that other cities and states have also said that they welcome immigrants and refugees. As I said, Dolt 45's "threat" to bring in hard-working people who avoid committing any crimes is not much of a threat to any normal person, although people that are terrified by nonwhite people, and who loudly insist that anyone who isn't similarly terrified is "virtue signaling" or whatever may imagine it is.
Old 17th April 2019, 10:05 AM   #837
Baylor
Philosopher

That, right there. I'll note that other cities and states have also said that they welcome immigrants and refugees. As I said, Dolt 45's "threat" to bring in hard-working people who avoid committing any crimes is not much of a threat to any normal person, although people that are terrified by nonwhite people, and who loudly insist that anyone who isn't similarly terrified is "virtue signaling" or whatever may imagine it is.
Seriously Mumbles, shame on you. You are giving these non-Americans the typical media lie. You, as a black man, have a unique opportunity to tell these daft non-Americans about actual race relations in the US and not the discredited media narrative. Mass illegal immigration does nothing but fuel the Black/Latino murders and gang wars that are already rampant.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30870505/n...rgeted-blacks/

It also drives black displacement from historically black communties. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...228-story.html
Old 17th April 2019, 10:15 AM   #838
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Seriously Mumbles, shame on you. You are giving these non-Americans the typical media lie. You, as a black man, have a unique opportunity to tell these daft non-Americans about actual race relations in the US and not the discredited media narrative. Mass illegal immigration does nothing but fuel the Black/Latino murders and gang wars that are already rampant.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30870505/n...rgeted-blacks/

It also drives black displacement from historically black communties. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...228-story.html
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 10:19 AM   #839
Baylor
Philosopher

Let's roll our eyes at ethnic cleansing. Such great moral fiber this forum has

Even the SPLC covered this ethnic cleansing of blacks by Latinos.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...nsing-campaign

Doesn't fit our narrative so we'll discredit with more smilies
Old 17th April 2019, 10:20 AM   #840
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
You, as a black man, have a unique opportunity to tell these daft non-Americans about actual race relations in the US and not the discredited media narrative.

Could you tell us more about these "daft non-Americans"?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics