ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Global Cooling Prize - Rewards for Innovations in Airconditioning

At least US$3million to be awarded to inventors who advance energy efficiency in residential cooling systems - development which is vastly needed now and increasingly becoming more important.

https://globalcoolingprize.org/

https://globalcoolingprize.org/about...rize/partners/

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 28th March 2019 at 10:15 AM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

I'd love to claim the prize, but honestly it is so simple and has been known for so long, that I doubt they would ever even consider giving me money for stating the obvious.

Passive geothermal works incredibly well at keeping residential homes cool in summer and reasonable in winter, and me and my dad built a house like that in the early 1980's. He got most of his information off Foxfire and Mother Earth News. We designed the house with a full basement and designed airflow through certain simple tricks to be automatic from the cool basement through the house and into the attic and finally out the roof through hurricane vents! No electricity needed most days. But just in case we needed a little extra boost, we had a fan assist that could cool the house in 15 minutes on hot days.

We never even had to use actual AC once ever. No need. I also have a design for cooling a high-tunnel greenhouse in summer using active geothermal along this same principle, but I haven't built that one yet. However, I am certain it could work just as easily and go from heating to cooling with a very simple ductwork manifold.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 02:52 PM   #3
This is The End

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Passive geothermal works incredibly well at keeping residential homes cool in summer and reasonable in winter, and me and my dad built a house like that in the early 1980's. He got most of his information off Foxfire and Mother Earth News. We designed the house with a full basement and designed airflow through certain simple tricks to be automatic from the cool basement through the house and into the attic and finally out the roof through hurricane vents! No electricity needed most days. But just in case we needed a little extra boost, we had a fan assist that could cool the house in 15 minutes on hot days.

AFAIK that only works if the location has a long cold winter.

If you tried to do that in Arizona (or pretty much anywhere where 70% of the population of the planet lives) you would need to have a very deep basement indeed.
Old 28th March 2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
AFAIK that only works if the location has a long cold winter.

If you tried to do that in Arizona (or pretty much anywhere where 70% of the population of the planet lives) you would need to have a very deep basement indeed.
90% of the country is 67 degrees or less at 20 feet. And even if you can't build a basement, you can usually install tubing. This makes it active geothermal rather than passive, but still a huge savings over standard AC
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I'd love to claim the prize, but honestly it is so simple and has been known for so long, that I doubt they would ever even consider giving me money for stating the obvious.

We never even had to use actual AC once ever. No need. I also have a design for cooling a high-tunnel greenhouse in summer using active geothermal along this same principle, but I haven't built that one yet. However, I am certain it could work just as easily and go from heating to cooling with a very simple ductwork manifold.
Do it.

It sounds like you've got many years of experience with this, so you may know more than many inventors.

The trick is to do it more efficiently than the people who are implementing it today.

I had to google, because I hadn't heard of it. Here's something I found in case others are interested.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...g-and-cooling/
Old 30th March 2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Molinaro
Illuminator

It would be nice to know your definition of "cool the house in 15 minutes on hot days".

What target temp are you talking about? What is the bottom end limit?

I have kept my home at a nice 12 C (53 F) for the past 20 years.
Old 30th March 2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
It would be nice to know your definition of "cool the house in 15 minutes on hot days".

Yeah, not that cold. Just turnover the air from the basement, and cool it down to comfortable 70 degrees or so F. Then flip off the fan and we are back to passive mode. Passive works most days alone. But on hot days over 90 F we might need go active twice a day for 15 min? +/-
Old 30th March 2019, 08:06 PM   #8
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Wow, Molinaro, how have you done that? With passive geothermal too?
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Molinaro
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Wow, Molinaro, how have you done that? With passive geothermal too?
Uh no, just normal AC in the summer and windows open just enough in the winter.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:13 AM   #10
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Old 3rd April 2019, 07:29 PM   #11
mgidm86
Philosopher

Wouldn't the basement warm up as it loses the cool air? When you pull air out of the basement other air must come in. If that air comes from the house or outside it will be warm. Maybe it's enough to last for an entire day though, depending on basement and house size.

I read about people burying duct underground but eventually the ground around the duct will warm up.

It was awhile ago so I may not remember correctly.

Another solution would be to move out of the warmer climates
Old 4th April 2019, 05:57 AM   #12
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

You keep your home at 12oC? Why?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 06:46 AM   #13
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Wouldn't the basement warm up as it loses the cool air? When you pull air out of the basement other air must come in. If that air comes from the house or outside it will be warm. Maybe it's enough to last for an entire day though, depending on basement and house size.
Yes. We planned air flow for that very reason, and with that in mind.

I read about people burying duct underground but eventually the ground around the duct will warm up.
It's a sign of undersized ducting.

Another solution would be to move out of the warmer climates
I am thinking this solution is what we are trying to avoid and why they are willing to offer such a prize in the first place.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:31 PM   #14
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Um, yeah, I was too dumbfounded after seeing that to actually ask the same thing.

I am thinking this solution is what we are trying to avoid and why they are willing to offer such a prize in the first place.
Indeed!
Old 5th April 2019, 11:34 PM   #15
Orphia Nay
Tagger

What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings

Quote:
In the capital of Zimbabwe, a building called Eastgate Centre holds nearly 350,000 square-feet of office space and shops. It uses 90 percent less energy than a similar sized building next door.

What’s Eastgate Centre’s secret? Termites.

In the 1990s, Mick Pearce, the building’s architect, took his inspiration from mounds built by fungus-farming termites he saw on a nature show. The insects created their own air conditioning systems that circulated hot and cool air between the mound and the outside.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/s...inkId=65693794
Old 6th April 2019, 05:21 PM   #16
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Ideal wine storage temp.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 10:16 AM   #17
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Ideal wine storage temp.
If you live in a wine cellar, yeah.

Wait, he's onto something....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology