ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

White haters on youtube call us apemen

There is an angry young black man belonging to some strange religion that says Caucasians are part ape-man. He says that since Africans in Africa never bred with a nonhuman that black Africans are the only true humans.

I told him that Africans in Africa had indeed interbred with homo habilis. I went on to say that all hominids had intelligence and that being vaguely related to them is no insult to your heritage.

Opinions?
Old 1st April 2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
There is an angry young black man belonging to some strange religion that says Caucasians are part ape-man. He says that since Africans in Africa never bred with a nonhuman that black Africans are the only true humans.
Meh, we're distant cousins of tapeworms. Doesn't bother me.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Some people are not swayed by reason
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 10:51 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's less ridiculous than most racism, since some native African populations are indeed "purer" Homo Sapiens than Caucasians or Asians.
It's still junk science used to support a junk argument, which is that there is some perfect genome, and humans are better the closer their genes are to the ideal.
And that idea is also held by White Supremacists racists.

In summation, it's a nice reminder that everyone can play the stupid racist game with equal or even superior authority.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Thermal
Philosopher

I can find guys on YouTube who think reptiles run the world. YT is not known as a bastion for rational thinking.

That said, it is my understanding that we share a substantial amount of DNA with bananas. Something like 50% IIRC. So the pureblood arguments only go so far.
Old 1st April 2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Meh, we're distant cousins of tapeworms. Doesn't bother me.
I come from amoeba lineage.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
I come from amoeba lineage.
I prefer to skip that part of my family history.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:07 AM   #8
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I can find guys on YouTube who think reptiles run the world. YT is not known as a bastion for rational thinking.

That said, it is my understanding that we share a substantial amount of DNA with bananas. Something like 50% IIRC. So the pureblood arguments only go so far.
On youtube, I can find people who think:

The earth is flat.
A rainbow in a water sprinkler is a sign of toxic stuff in water and air.
Bad weather is caused by a secret government plot.
Chemtrailers.
9/11 truthers.
Jet pla.Ens are powered by compressed air.

To cite just a few examples. Youtube has lots of stupid **** posted by stupid people. There is also plenty of white supremacist crap as well as the black supremacist crap the OP found.

Last edited by CORed; 1st April 2019 at 11:26 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CORed View Post

(snip)
(snip)
Aw, that's one of my favourites.

Old 1st April 2019, 11:42 AM   #10
CORed
Philosopher

Aw, that's one of my favourites.
There's also some woman from Hawaii who is an avid chemtrailer and thinks that any cloud that isn't a cumulus is a sign of "spraying". I haven't seen her stuff for awhile, but I haven't really looked for it either.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Armitage72
Master Poster

Youtube has lots of stupid **** posted by stupid people. There is also plenty of white supremacist crap as well as the black supremacist crap the OP found.

The only video I ever posted on Youtube was a clip from a SyFy Pictures movie called "Bloodsuckers", because it contained a song by a band I like (and they didn't even know their song was in the movie). The title of the song was "Slave Ship", so Youtube initially associated it with videos about the historic slave trade. This resulted in incredibly racist comments being posted on my video for months. I half suspected that they were actually coming from bots targeting the video through the Youtube links.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

I told him that Africans in Africa had indeed interbred with homo habilis. I went on to say that all hominids had intelligence and that being vaguely related to them is no insult to your heritage.

Opinions?
Here is a more serious YouTube discussion of what we do know, and more importantly don't know about the Neanderthals your angry young black man calls "ape-man".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 12:57 PM   #13
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Better question: WHY is your angry black protagonist so concerned about his racial purity? Has he got something to sell to fix this problem? Or is it just that he likes shouting at things on Youtube?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 01:23 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The earth is flat.
Chemtrailers.
9/11 truthers.
Jet planes are powered by compressed air.

To cite just a few examples. Youtube has lots of stupid **** posted by stupid people. There is also plenty of white supremacist crap as well as the black supremacist crap the OP found.
Well, they sort of are, in a manner of speaking.
Old 1st April 2019, 01:23 PM   #15
ahhell
Master Poster

Opinions?
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's less ridiculous than most racism, since some native African populations are indeed "purer" Homo Sapiens than Caucasians or Asians.
It's still junk science used to support a junk argument, which is that there is some perfect genome, and humans are better the closer their genes are to the ideal.
And that idea is also held by White Supremacists racists.

In summation, it's a nice reminder that everyone can play the stupid racist game with equal or even superior authority.
This, but at least its marginally more reasonable for a Black supremecist to use this reasoning than for a white supremacist. All non Africans do seem to have a little bit more admixture with "non-humans", neandertals and denisovans.

The reigion was probably Kemetism or Black Israelites.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 02:02 PM   #16
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Here is a more serious YouTube discussion of what we do know, and more importantly don't know about the Neanderthals your angry young black man calls "ape-man".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Was really expecting this to be video by The Kinks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:20 AM   #17
Thermal
Philosopher

Forgot to link the final word on the subject:

I AGREE
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:16 AM   #18
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Opinions?
My opinion is that your YouTube friend is a nut, and that it is quite unlikely that any amount of facts and logic will alter his belief.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:52 AM   #19
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Opinions?
Having opinions about what you find on YouTube is sort of like having opinions about mosquitoes.

There's lots of them, and they can be really annoying, but trying to single out individuals for special treatment seems pretty much a waste of time and effort.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:08 AM   #20
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

There's also the point that every species in the genus Homo is human.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:19 AM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
There's also the point that every species in the genus Homo is human.
yes, but some are more equally human than others.
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:50 PM   #22
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
yes, but some are more equally human than others.
Fella named Orwell wrote a story along those lines.
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:06 PM   #23
Toontown
Philosopher

I'm just proud to be a member of the same species as Veronika Zemanova. Same phenotype too. So eat your heart out, angry young black men.

Sorry, all the links contain nudity. Just google the name. If you're lucky you might find the video that shows her unloading a gatlin gun from the bare hip.

Last edited by Toontown; 2nd April 2019 at 02:11 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:36 PM   #24
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well, they sort of are, in a manner of speaking.
Well yes, but this guy claims the hydrocarbons are unnecessary.
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:40 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
I'm just proud to be a member of the same species as Veronika Zemanova. Same phenotype too. So eat your heart out, angry young black men.

Sorry, all the links contain nudity. Just google the name. If you're lucky you might find the video that shows her unloading a gatlin gun from the bare hip.
That girl is never going to bump her nose on anything in the dark.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:47 PM   #26
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The only video I ever posted on Youtube was a clip from a SyFy Pictures movie called "Bloodsuckers", because it contained a song by a band I like (and they didn't even know their song was in the movie). The title of the song was "Slave Ship", so Youtube initially associated it with videos about the historic slave trade. This resulted in incredibly racist comments being posted on my video for months. I half suspected that they were actually coming from bots targeting the video through the Youtube links.
It seems that any video that involves black people (and a lot that don't) will draw plenty of ugly comments from racist trolls.
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:38 PM   #27
Venom
Master Poster

It's one of those Afrocentrist guys who preach from the sideways in downtown Camden, New York, Queens about how their ancestors were the Real rulers of Europe in ancient times.

I may be conflating a bunch of different Afrocentrist groups there.

It's essentially a backlash to the white supremacist narrative that was used to justify the Atlantic slave trade and subjugation in the states, West Indies.

"pig skinned Edomites!"

Last edited by Venom; 2nd April 2019 at 03:42 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:57 PM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

Hey. The title of this thread refers to calling 'us' apemen. Is this a whites only thread? If so, I'm out this bitch.
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:06 PM   #29
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I need some help with the " Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology" connection..
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:48 AM   #30
Armitage72
Master Poster

It seems that any video that involves black people (and a lot that don't) will draw plenty of ugly comments from racist trolls.

That's what made me think they were automated comments. My video had nothing to do with black people. It was a group of people on the bridge of a spaceship, none of whom were black, being pursued by a group of enemy spaceships. It seemed to just be the Youtube associations that attracted the comments.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:51 AM   #31
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post

...0 results. Who?

Old 3rd April 2019, 07:23 AM   #32
Steve
Illuminator

...0 results. Who?
Oh I got results....but I didn't dare open any on my work computer!
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:07 AM   #33
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The earth is flat.
Chemtrailers.
9/11 truthers.
Jet pla.Ens are powered by compressed air.

That is nothing, there are people who go to the mountains to prove that elevation is a conspiracy!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:29 PM   #34
CORed
Philosopher

...0 results. Who?
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Oh I got results....but I didn't dare open any on my work computer!
Belz must have "safe search" turned on. Apparently she's a porn star.
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:34 PM   #35
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is nothing, there are people who go to the mountains to prove that elevation is a conspiracy!
No doubt they are using highly accurate measuring techniques like, "Sure doesn't look that high to me." Of course, you can't use any sort of measuring instrument, because those are all made by people who are "in on it".

I also remember seeing a video by somebody who claimed the sun was setting too far north, posted in late June from somewhere in the UK (high latitude near summer solstice; no doubt the sun was setting pretty far north).
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:38 PM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Belz must have "safe search" turned on. Apparently she's a porn star.
It's possible. I was searching from work.

Anyway, she's not bad, thought there is something as being too curvy.

Old 3rd April 2019, 07:23 PM   #37
mgidm86
Philosopher

Being human isn't something to brag about.
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:52 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
It's a bit hard to brag about something you had no say in being...
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:58 PM   #39
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
There is an immense beauty to the natural world, but when looking at all of life on this planet I do think there's something amazing about humans.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:09 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
There is an immense beauty to the natural world, but when looking at all of life on this planet I do think there's something amazing about humans.
I apologise if I'm thinking of someone else here, but I'm fairly sure that mgidm86 would be a supporter of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology