ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th April 2019, 01:29 AM   #41
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
There's also the point that every species in the genus Homo is human.
I'm not sure about that, but humans (all races thereof) do fall under the family of great apes. So we are all equally "apemen" (and "apewomen").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
Old 4th April 2019, 03:20 AM   #42
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
There is an angry young black man belonging to some strange religion that says Caucasians are part ape-man. He says that since Africans in Africa never bred with a nonhuman that black Africans are the only true humans.
This sounds like a retread of a philosophy that had some purchase around 20 years ago, that declared all evolution away from the African original as inferior corruption.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 04:51 AM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Being human isn't something to brag about.
It's better than the alternatives.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 04:53 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
This sounds like a retread of a philosophy that had some purchase around 20 years ago, that declared all evolution away from the African original as inferior corruption.
Which is kind of amusing. Other racists are claiming that since we came out of Africa and became white in the process, black people are more primitive. I guess bigots will always find a way to support their bigotry with made-up reasoning.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 07:19 AM   #45
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm not sure about that, but humans (all races thereof) do fall under the family of great apes. So we are all equally "apemen" (and "apewomen").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
If you'll read to the third paragraph of that article you'll seem human applies to all species in Homo and that it sometimes is applied to predecessors even.

And, yes, we are all apes. We're also all primates, etc.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 08:37 AM   #46
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
There is an angry young black man belonging to some strange religion that says Caucasians are part ape-man. He says that since Africans in Africa never bred with a nonhuman that black Africans are the only true humans.

I told him that Africans in Africa had indeed interbred with homo habilis. I went on to say that all hominids had intelligence and that being vaguely related to them is no insult to your heritage.

Opinions?
Post a link so we can give the vid a "Dislike".
Steve001 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2019, 11:42 AM   #47
dann
Philosopher

I'm not sure that the alleged video actually exists. It's an April 1st OP.
I tried to google the significant words from the OP, but all I found was this, and it's quite sensible:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If anybody's interested, there are white boobs at 3:15!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2019, 03:21 PM   #48
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I tried to google the significant words from the OP, but all I found was this, and it's quite sensible:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Terry Swoope gets a lot of hate from the so-called pro-black crowd, but he's a bit of an oddball himself. I think his heart is in the right place he just has no formal education in any of this and he tends to attract a lot of "woke" internet armchair theorists.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2019, 09:22 PM   #49
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post

I AGREE

Gotta say I was expecting a pic of Trump and Pence

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology