ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:25 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

Gastritis?

After being diagnosed, I have been curious about some things, and it strikes my interest in how different people handle stress. I have always carried stress in my stomach. I 'get' the "nervous stomach", and have had one my whole life.

The new meds are working, and the nausea and queasiness are over, leaving me with more questions. Do some people get, say, migraines, while others get Gastritis?

And, are there ways to deal with the symptoms without medication?
Old 5th April 2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

As someone who sees endoscopy reports all day, every day for decades now, I can honestly say nearly every adult in the U. S. has gastritis. It is most likely because our diets suck. I am not knowledgeable as to how stress affects it, although I know people get stomach ulcers and that supposedly has some stress factor to it.

For me personally, my stress manifests lower in my digestive system... more like IBS. I also get dizzy for days and I suspect that is stress related, but I have no way to know for sure.

Also purely anecdotal, my brother and I were recently talking and he gave up soda as part of a diet he is on. He said the one thing he has noticed a marked difference in is his “gut.” He says his heartburn is gone and ... well he said more but I will just leave it at he is a more “regular” human.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 12:58 PM   #3
8enotto
Muse

Grease and chili peppers sets mine off.

Milk of a chocolate variety sets it straight. Extreme cases Pepto B or Maalox whatever is handy.
Changing jobs and not eating Mexican cuisine helps a lot. Grease and chili seem to be the main two food groups.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 02:44 PM   #4
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Lager. Until the morning.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Venom
Master Poster

The closest thing I imagine is in the summer of 2012 when I was struck with a very unusual nausea lasting for about a week and a half. Every time I lied down I felt nauseous but never once did I vomit.

I chewed ginger and took laxatives prescribed by doctors. I probably should have stayed home after the first visit. I was getting paranoid and leading doctors onto things I probably shouldn't have.

I never did find out what exactly it was, but "gastritis" sounds like a fitting name for it.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 04:55 PM   #6
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The closest thing I imagine is in the summer of 2012 when I was struck with a very unusual nausea lasting for about a week and a half. Every time I lied down I felt nauseous but never once did I vomit.

I chewed ginger and took laxatives prescribed by doctors. I probably should have stayed home after the first visit. I was getting paranoid and leading doctors onto things I probably shouldn't have.

I never did find out what exactly it was, but "gastritis" sounds like a fitting name for it.
It sounds as if it was transient for you. Lucky devil. Every time I have tried to gain a few pounds, (always between 88lbs to 92 pounds), I would increase food intake, and soon the gastritis kicked in. I am now a healthier 96 lbs.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:33 PM   #7
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
My son had gastritis a lot as a kid. We later discovered he's lactose-intolerant.
Old 6th April 2019, 05:27 AM   #8
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Also purely anecdotal, my brother and I were recently talking and he gave up soda as part of a diet he is on. He said the one thing he has noticed a marked difference in is his “gut.” He says his heartburn is gone and ... well he said more but I will just leave it at he is a more “regular” human.

I used to get gastritis from ordinary sugar: sodas, chocolate, pastries, desserts ...
Replacing sugar with stevia helped me overcome the problem completely. And I have no problem with 99% chocolate.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
As someone who sees endoscopy reports all day, every day for decades now, I can honestly say nearly every adult in the U. S. has gastritis. It is most likely because our diets suck. I am not knowledgeable as to how stress affects it, although I know people get stomach ulcers and that supposedly has some stress factor to it.

For me personally, my stress manifests lower in my digestive system... more like IBS. I also get dizzy for days and I suspect that is stress related, but I have no way to know for sure.

When my brother was in college, he went in for gut problems. Turns out he was drinking the equivalent of two 8 packs of Coke a day.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology