ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th April 2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

No Humans Have Ever Left the Earth's Atmosphere

technically speaking. Here's why.
From the YT Channel "Seeker"
https://youtu.be/aPBVGXdsR0I
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 09:18 AM   #2
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Anton's many avid viewers were recently treated to one of his nice exposťs on this.
Old 7th April 2019, 09:54 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And the sun's gravity has infinite extent, so nothing is really outside the Solar System.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 10:14 AM   #4
This is The End

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And the sun's gravity has infinite extent, so nothing is really outside the Solar System.

I'm going to have to see the math on that one.

If the math hits Planck's Length then it most definitely ends. And not even technically ends, it would literally end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length
Old 7th April 2019, 12:21 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

If the math hits Planck's Length then it most definitely ends. And not even technically ends, it would literally end.

My bad. The sun's gravity actually ends about 187,000 miles out.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 03:24 PM   #6
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

One light-second? So the earth, about 500 light-seconds from the sun, is far removed from the sun's gravity?

Today is the 7th of April, so theprestige's post is about a week too late to be April Fool's.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 04:33 PM   #7
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Are you just typing as you go through wikis?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 11:15 PM   #8
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

Given the thread you are reading, what do you think was the point being made by that post you responded to?

I'm pretty sure it was that the Apollo astronauts really did leave Earth's atmosphere.

Admittedly it's odd to see an implied argument based on an analogy coming from theprestige, but I'm still pretty sure that's what he was saying.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 12:57 AM   #9
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
technically speaking. Here's why.
From the YT Channel "Seeker"
https://youtu.be/aPBVGXdsR0I
Sorry, I simply donít have the time or inclination, nor, usually, the environment, to watch random YouTube videos, especially when Iím browsing a text-based forum.

Whatís the argument being made?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 03:04 AM   #10
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Sorry, I simply donít have the time or inclination, nor, usually, the environment, to watch random YouTube videos, especially when Iím browsing a text-based forum.

Whatís the argument being made?
This.

In the last few days I've seen flat earth trolls on FB throwing around "and NASA now admit the moon is inside the earth's atmosphere so...". I guess it's related to that. But since the OP and first reply are both just YouTube links, I can wait and see.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 04:44 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Sorry, I simply don’t have the time or inclination, nor, usually, the environment, to watch random YouTube videos, especially when I’m browsing a text-based forum.

What’s the argument being made?
Presumably, that the earth's atmosphere just decreases in density are you go away but never really technically ever drops to zero particles per square meter, so you're "always" within it no matter where you go. It's silly, though technically true, thought not really because there is certainly a point where you could say that earth's atmosphere density is actually zero.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 04:48 AM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
This.

In the last few days I've seen flat earth trolls on FB throwing around "and NASA now admit the moon is inside the earth's atmosphere so...". I guess it's related to that. But since the OP and first reply are both just YouTube links, I can wait and see.
Nothing like that. It is just that there are odd atoms of hydrogen and helium out beyond the moon's orbit. This is what our exosphere consists of. These atoms can now be detected.

The channel appears to be a reasonable one.

For more information watch the YouTube in the OP.
Old 8th April 2019, 04:54 AM   #13
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Nothing like that. It is just that there are odd atoms of hydrogen and helium out beyond the moon's orbit. This is what our exosphere consists of. These atoms can now be detected.
Thanks. That is indeed just the sort of thing I assumed the trolls were alluding to.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:12 AM   #14
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, we would consider that the astronauts took a certain amount of Earth’s atmosphere with them...
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:29 AM   #15
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Ok, this looks like the same story.
https://www.space.com/earth-atmosphe...yond-moon.html

There are some atoms of hydrogen from the earth’s geocorona, but at a density that would be regarded as a vacuum on the earth.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:33 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My life became infinitely better the day I realized I could ignore everything that's ever been or will be said after "Well technically speaking...."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 07:21 AM   #17
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

There are lots of different definitions for the top/end of the atmosphere each with it's own particular use case, but surely any gas found on the surface of the moon is part of the moons atmosphere.
Old 8th April 2019, 07:35 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

See also, I think Voyager 2 has "left the solar system" roughly 900 times by now.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 07:39 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
See also, I think Voyager 2 has "left the solar system" roughly 900 times by now.
From which we can conclude that Voyager 2 is male, because it refuses to stop and ask someone where it is.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 08:10 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post

One light-second? So the earth, about 500 light-seconds from the sun, is far removed from the sun's gravity?

Today is the 7th of April, so theprestige's post is about a week too late to be April Fool's.
My bad. I forgot you can't make jokes most days of the year. Sorry to confuse your serious mind. Maybe you'll feel better if you help TITE with his math pedantry.
Old 8th April 2019, 08:12 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Of course, we would consider that the astronauts took a certain amount of Earthís atmosphere with them...
That's the real reason, of course. Similarly, nobody has ever actually stood on the moon.
Old 8th April 2019, 08:17 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post

Admittedly it's odd to see an implied argument based on an analogy coming from theprestige, but I'm still pretty sure that's what he was saying.
Every so often, it's good to have an object lesson. Arguments from analogy always fail. One of the most common failure modes is that even when the analogy itself is serviceable enough, people will still go out of their way to miss the point.
Old 8th April 2019, 08:21 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My life became infinitely better the day I realized I could ignore everything that's ever been or will be said after "Well technically speaking...."
Exactly this.
Old 8th April 2019, 08:51 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Can I see the math on that?
Old 8th April 2019, 03:01 PM   #25
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Can I see the math on that?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 8th April 2019, 03:16 PM   #26
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

My bad. I forgot you can't make jokes most days of the year. Sorry to confuse your serious mind.
No problem. I'll get over it.

Jokes are easier to recognize when they're funny. Although I recognized the absurdity of your post, I've seen enough absurdity in both this subforum and in the USA Politics subforum to recognize that the most absurd claims are the most likely to have been advanced with utmost seriousness.

Every so often, it's good to have an object lesson. Arguments from analogy always fail. One of the most common failure modes is that even when the analogy itself is serviceable enough, people will still go out of their way to miss the point.
Citing a single object lesson as though it implies a universal ("always") is like citing a single person's behavior to conclude all supporters of his political party are lying degenerates.

That is of course an argument from analogy. Will you demonstrate its failure by missing the point?
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 03:21 PM   #27
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

That's the real reason, of course. Similarly, nobody has ever actually stood on the moon.

When I get my moon hotel up and running, I'm going to have a big, pressurized domed area where people can walk on the moon in their bare feet.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:04 AM   #28
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
When I get my moon hotel up and running, I'm going to have a big, pressurized domed area where people can walk on the moon in their bare feet.
Iím guessing Lunar regolith is not the sort of thing you want between your toes
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 10:33 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Apparently it's highly abrasive, and the dust poses serious health risks on the skin, in the lungs, etc.

I'm betting that any serious moon base is going to start with an aggressively prophylactic system to keep the regolith away from human contact, and that the system will become even more aggressive over time.

The "moon room hotel" would be like putting people in a room full of powdered asbestos.
Old 10th April 2019, 12:14 PM   #30
Loss Leader

**** that noise. Do you have any idea how much people would pay for that? I'm guessing at least two hundred, two-fifty a night.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 12:17 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
**** that noise. Do you have any idea how much people would pay for that? I'm guessing at least two hundred, two-fifty a night.
I'm guessing it would be unethical to sell that service at any price.
Old 10th April 2019, 03:57 PM   #32
Loss Leader

You sound just like NASA when I called them this afternoon.

L. Leader
Old 10th April 2019, 04:18 PM   #33
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Sorry, I simply don’t have the time or inclination, nor, usually, the environment, to watch random YouTube videos, especially when I’m browsing a text-based forum.

What’s the argument being made?
I must admit I was being a bit impish with leaving the title unchanged from the vid as it gives the appearance of being woo-ish but it's not. I'm certain you know YT vids provide generally a description with info as does this vid in detail. So a quick read would have provided all the necessary info for you to determine if you would want to watch this vid. In case you've been away this vid is a talk about the Earth's geocorona based upon old NASA data.

Last edited by Steve001; 10th April 2019 at 04:21 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 08:40 AM   #34
autumn1971
Illuminator

Yup. No wind or water-based erosion means extremely sharp edges.
Iíve always been kind of amazed it didnít disable the ascent-modules
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 02:20 PM   #35
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Yup. No wind or water-based erosion means extremely sharp edges.
Iíve always been kind of amazed it didnít disable the ascent-modules
Really? How do you suppose regolith might reach the ascent module?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 02:21 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Apparently the astronauts tracked it everywhere, despite their best efforts.

I expect if the ascent modules were reused to any degree, the interiors would started exhibiting abrasion damage pretty quickly.

It's probably not realistic to think they might have been disabled by a single mission, but any long term lunar facility is going to have to deal with such a risk.

Last edited by theprestige; 12th April 2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 13th April 2019, 09:06 AM   #37
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Shoes.

And those ascent modules were very light and thin-skinned
-The Bard
Old 13th April 2019, 09:13 AM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Shoes.

And those ascent modules were very light and thin-skinned
The astronauts wore outer boots over the shoes of their suits, and did not bring them into the ascent module (I think).
Old 13th April 2019, 10:47 AM   #39
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

The dust was really clingy though and they got it on their legs and particularly their knees if they had to kneel down.
Old 13th April 2019, 11:01 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
The dust was really clingy though and they got it on their legs and particularly their knees if they had to kneel down.
Yep. They took precautions, but the dust got everywhere anyway.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology