ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brain Implants , deep brain stimulation

Old 7th April 2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Brain Implants

So I was listening to a podcast this weekend about this. There's a new technique called deep brain stimulation that has had some success in treating certain conditions. They implant electrodes deep in the brain and set a voltage to them. The podcast focused on one woman involved in the early studies. She had severe OCD and depression. It was so severe at one point that she could hardly leave her room. The brain implants seem to help. Just zapping the brain with electricity. I wonder if we're all going to have something like this in the future. Of course, it isn't a simple procedure as it involves cutting a hole in your skull. Because she participated in an experimental study, it was free for her, but I imagine this would be quite expensive if it is approved for use.

Quote:
What would it be like if you could control your mood with a hand held device? Literally turn the device to different settings and make yourself happier and sadder? Alix Spiegel talks to a woman who has that power. She was part of a neuropsychiatric trial that implanted a device in her brain that was supposed to help moderate her severe OCD, which also allows her a different level of control over her mood than most of us.
Since she had her implants, which they call "chopsticks," just two long, thin electrodes implanted in the brain, they're now trying a newer model called "the octopus" with multiple electrodes. If only it didn't have to involve such a radical procedure.
Old 7th April 2019, 07:46 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Look up Optogenetics if you want less invasive computer-to-brain transmissions; currently used for research.

In any case: cyborg me up! Take my money on the bits of my brain I don't use anyway!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Parkinson's treatment with some success I believe.
Old 7th April 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
This is The End

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Parkinson's treatment with some success I believe.

Yep. For over 20 years. Puppycow has fallen for the ever so popular "it's new to me so it must be new!!" fallacy... Which in all fairness to Puppycow is likely spurned by the news medias' ploy of selling old things as new.

As SG said, this has been treating Parkinson's for decades...

Seriously though, I love how Puppycows sentence literally contains its own debunking link:

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
There's a new technique called deep brain stimulation that has had some success in treating certain conditions.

From the first sentence of the second paragraph of that link:

Quote:
DBS has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for essential tremor and Parkinson's disease (PD) since 1997.

And then the very next sentence points out that even the disorder Puppycows' OP is about (OCD) has been treated by this for a decade:

Quote:
DBS was approved for dystonia in 2003, obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) in 2009, and epilepsy in 2018.

In summary, there is no "new" technique called deep brain stimulation... Unless of course you want be to tell you about this "new" thing called the "internet"!! Or perhaps more generously, these "new" things called "smartphones"...
Old 7th April 2019, 10:39 PM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, gee. I've been schooled.

I do recommend the podcast though, if you want to hear about the actual lived experience of a patient on which this was performed.
Old 8th April 2019, 03:22 AM   #6
LongFuzzy
Thinker

Michael Crichton wrote "The Terminal Man" in 1972, about a man who has implants placed into his brain. FDA approved the procedure in 1997, so maybe the research was ongoing in 72? Or Crichton could foretell the future?
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 04:32 AM   #7
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Or Crichton was somewhat familiar with experiments done in the 50s and 60s:
The scientist who controlled people with brain implants. It is not an entirely new idea, it is just that microelectronics makes it all a lot more feasible.
Old 8th April 2019, 04:43 AM   #8
Dabop
Muse

There was a group experimenting back in the 80's with putting electrodes into blind peoples brain in the visual centers, with the goal of letting them see again through cameras. I wonder what happened to it?

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:15 AM   #9
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

This also was aired on NPR’s Morning Edition just last week. They interviewed the patient who related her experiences with varying levels of stimulation.

I admit I usually accept news items on NPR as being at least “current”.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 01:10 PM   #10
LongFuzzy
Thinker

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Or Crichton was somewhat familiar with experiments done in the 50s and 60s:
The scientist who controlled people with brain implants. It is not an entirely new idea, it is just that microelectronics makes it all a lot more feasible.
I hadn't realized the research went back that far.
Thanks.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 09:47 PM   #11
Venom
Illuminator

Just try not to reuse them.

*chills down spine*
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:16 AM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Oh, gee. I've been schooled.

I do recommend the podcast though, if you want to hear about the actual lived experience of a patient on which this was performed.
Shame! Shame! Shame!

(Thanks for sharing. Very interesting)

Shame! Shame! Shame!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 9th April 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 11:33 AM   #13
dann
Philosopher

Wireheads?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:55 AM   #14
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
There was a group experimenting back in the 80's with putting electrodes into blind peoples brain in the visual centers, with the goal of letting them see again through cameras. I wonder what happened to it?

I remember that. The technology of the time simply wasn't up to the task. There is still ongoing research into this and other direct-brain stimulation techniques for addressing various disabilities. As the technology improves, they come closer to being feasible.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 09:23 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There are glasses with cameras coupled wirelessly to low-resolution electrodes in the optical nerve that give blind person enough vision to avoid obstacles.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology