ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th April 2019, 05:45 AM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

3 Academic Profs get Evolution Completely Wrong

Read this article first.

Quote:
Researchers witness the emergence of a new gene in the lab

How do new genes appear? For more than a century, researchers have thought that, from time to time, new gene functions evolved after cells accidentally made a copy of one of their existing genes. According to this theory, the 'extra' gene copy could then evolve freely. In this way, it could acquire a new function, while the original gene ensured that the original function was retained. No direct observation supporting this theory has been reported so far. Now, however, researchers at TU Delft have observed this evolutionary mechanism in action for the first time in yeast cells. https://m.phys.org/news/2019-04-witn...-gene-lab.html
Start this 3 profs vid 2 minutes in.
SciManDan YT Channel https://youtu.be/8NLdlsyXkGM

Last edited by Steve001; 10th April 2019 at 07:21 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Venom
Master Poster

Nice "consensus" of scholars.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:22 AM   #3
steenkh
Philosopher

I read the article. It looks OK. I cannot see Youtube movies. What are the three professors doing wrong?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:38 AM   #4
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Gene duplication is one mechanism, there are others. Simple transcription errors at recombination are the most common.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 02:10 AM   #5
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

This is the full text of the paper the press release refers to? https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1007853
Old 11th April 2019, 02:13 AM   #6
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm missing what the video has to do with the press release linked to in the OP. It's not the same researchers (or "researchers" in the case of the video).
Old 11th April 2019, 04:35 AM   #7
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I read the article. It looks OK. I cannot see Youtube movies. What are the three professors doing wrong?
All of them have expertise in fields unrelated to biological sciences and they are creationists too boot. In the vid they each offer up reasons why evolution is wrong. One such is irreducible complexity.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:41 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
One such is irreducible complexity.
Is a second one "fairies"? I mean, they're about as real as the first.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:48 AM   #9
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm missing what the video has to do with the press release linked to in the OP. It's not the same researchers (or "researchers" in the case of the video).
There is no direct connection between the two. There is a evidentiary link in the evolution
vs creationism argument which would be genes do spontaneously come to be and quickly do to the need to adapt to a changing enviroment rather than at the guiding hand of some supernatural agent.
Old 11th April 2019, 04:56 AM   #10
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Gene duplication is one mechanism, there are others. Simple transcription errors at recombination are the most common.
Up until recently according to the article it's only been a "what we think" is going on. Now we have direct observations that long held assumptions are in fact true.
Old 11th April 2019, 05:06 AM   #11
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

There is no direct connection between the two. There is a evidentiary link in the evolution
vs creationism argument which would be genes do spontaneously come to be and quickly do to the need to adapt to a changing enviroment rather than at the guiding hand of some supernatural agent.
Ah, gotcha'!
Old 12th April 2019, 01:23 AM   #12
steenkh
Philosopher

All of them have expertise in fields unrelated to biological sciences and they are creationists too boot. In the vid they each offer up reasons why evolution is wrong. One such is irreducible complexity.
Thanks for explaining. I'll see if I can watch the video at a later date.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 09:52 AM   #13
CORed
Philosopher

I haven't watched that one yet, and I do watch SciManDan quite a bit. Irreducible complexity? In other words, I can't figure out how that happened, therefore God.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology