ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th April 2019, 03:49 PM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

First commercial launch of Falcon Heavy

Being the space nerd that I am, this is looking exciting

Launch has been pushed back to the end of the current launch window at 8:32 pm in Florida (00:32 UTC) due to high level winds at the original time of 6:30. If there is a hold for any reason now, the launch will be scrubbed.

SpaceX will be attempting to recover all three boosters; the two side boosters back to LZ1 and LZ2 at The Cape, and the core booster to the drone ship OCISLY positioned 1000k/m downrange. If this all works it will be the first time that three boosters have been recovered, and the longest range booster recovery to date. If they succeed, that is around 90% hardware recovery for reuse.

You can watch the launch live here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMGu2d8c8g
Old 10th April 2019, 04:20 PM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Launch has been scrubbed.

Come back tomorrow, same time, same place
Old 11th April 2019, 12:03 PM   #3
phunk
Illuminator

18:35 EDT / 22:35 UTC today is the new launch window if the weather is good.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:29 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Scheduled launch is 22:35, that is about three ours from now.

Weather looks good; partly cloudy, 25°C, gentle breeze, 4 m/s from the east, but high altitude winds are still a concern.
Old 11th April 2019, 03:40 PM   #5
phunk
Illuminator

All 3 cores nailed the landing.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:41 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

All three boosters landed safely. and Arabsat 6A is in nominal orbit.

Outstanding!

I know that what they are doing here is not easy, but they sure make it look that way.

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th April 2019 at 03:44 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:57 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

But that attempt for the first private industry probe landing on the Moon did not go so well....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:03 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But that attempt for the first private industry probe landing on the Moon did not go so well....

Descent engine shut down 10Km up. They got it restarted, but too late.

It was a bit of a budget attempt though, by the new boys on the block.
Old 11th April 2019, 04:50 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Well, nuts! I've missed yet another live launch. I'd have sworn they said something like 8:30 Eastern. Replay was still pretty cool.
Too bad about Beresheet but still quite an accomplishment.
Old 11th April 2019, 05:21 PM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Well, nuts! I've missed yet another live launch. I'd have sworn they said something like 8:30 Eastern. Replay was still pretty cool.
Too bad about Beresheet but still quite an accomplishment.
Yeah, I was on the bus at the time. But it's okay. It's Friday here, so I'll pour myself a drink and watch it tonight.
Old 11th April 2019, 06:43 PM   #11
cjameshuff
Thinker

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
All 3 cores nailed the landing.
They recovered the fairing halves too, and plan on reusing them for the first time on their Starlink launch later this year (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1116514068393680896). That means the only thing actually expended on this launch was the second stage.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 06:53 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
They recovered the fairing halves too, and plan on reusing them for the first time on their Starlink launch later this year (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1116514068393680896). That means the only thing actually expended on this launch was the second stage.
That is quite frankly amazing. They were recovered from the water, rather than being caught by the big net ships, but still.
Old 11th April 2019, 07:05 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And they are planning to reuse these three cores in the upcoming Falcon Heavy STP-2 mission in June
Old 11th April 2019, 07:05 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And they are planning to reuse these three cores in the upcoming Falcon Heavy STP-2 mission in June
And the fairings. Don't forget the fairings. This'll be the first time they'll be reused.
Old 11th April 2019, 07:47 PM   #15
cjameshuff
Thinker

The two side cores. They weren't sure the center core would make it, and planned to use another one.

The center core set a record for highest reentry energy recovery, about 25% higher than the previous record from the numbers I've seen. It may need some work.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 08:00 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The two side cores. They weren't sure the center core would make it, and planned to use another one.
The fact that they can re-use them at all is just stunning.
Old 12th April 2019, 01:00 AM   #17
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

I was asleep, being on the east side of the Atlantic, and therefore didn't see the launch live (unlike the first).

But this is so cool and exciting.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 10:14 AM   #18
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And the fairings. Don't forget the fairings. This'll be the first time they'll be reused.
Not for STP-2 though. That'll get new fairings. First fairing reuse will be on their own payload (starlink) not a customer.
Old 12th April 2019, 10:32 AM   #19
Garrison
Illuminator

It is amazing to watch the two first stages landing in almost perfect sync.
Old 12th April 2019, 01:08 PM   #20
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not for STP-2 though. That'll get new fairings. First fairing reuse will be on their own payload (starlink) not a customer.
And here are those two fairing halves on the recovery boat shortly after being hauled out of the sea.

Note the silvery material on the tip. I've never seen that before.... heat shielding?

Old 12th April 2019, 01:17 PM   #21
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
It is amazing to watch the two first stages landing in almost perfect sync.
It's exceptionally beautiful. Looks like something out of Thunderbirds, but it's really happening.

Must be an amazing experience to be involved in making machines which can do that and then have people all over the world watch as they pull off the ultimate party trick.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 01:19 PM   #22
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This is possibly why Starlink has been delayed until NET May (was originally planned for Mid April.

I'm guessing that those two fairings are going to get a very thorough inspection. Just because they have parachutes for the landing doesn't mean the impact energy with the water is not significant. A fairing failure during launch is likely to have disastrous consequences.

Its worth them making the effort though. Those fairings cost about US$6m a pair, so even if they spend a $million or so recovering and refurbishing them, its still a significant cost reduction per launch
Old 12th April 2019, 01:51 PM   #23
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Note the silvery material on the tip. I've never seen that before.... heat shielding?
GPS III Falcon 9 launch in December had similar. Launch commentary at the time mentioned it as thermal protection due to increased heating on that launch trajectory.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 02:06 PM   #24
sts60
Illuminator

Watched it from outside the VAB. Nice and crisp and bright and loud.

Things are getting busier and busier at KSC/CCAFS. SpaceX and ULA launching unmanned payloads, SLS grinding toward flight, OmegA starting work to use the VAB/Crawler/39B infrastructure, Blue Origin expanding, SpaceX and Boeing nearing Commercial Crew flights, Dreamchaser underway, a host of other outfits getting after it...
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 01:32 AM   #25
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Wait, what is going on with the VAB and Crawler?
Old 14th April 2019, 02:12 AM   #26
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Watched it from outside the VAB. Nice and crisp and bright and loud.

Things are getting busier and busier at KSC/CCAFS. SpaceX and ULA launching unmanned payloads, SLS grinding toward flight, OmegA starting work to use the VAB/Crawler/39B infrastructure, Blue Origin expanding, SpaceX and Boeing nearing Commercial Crew flights, Dreamchaser underway, a host of other outfits getting after it...
Including Stratolaunch getting their aircraft off the ground:

Stratolaunch: 'World's largest plane' lifts off for the first time
Old 14th April 2019, 02:23 AM   #27
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Talking

Will come in handy when we have to lift whales to their spaceships.
Old 14th April 2019, 02:25 AM   #28
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Northrop Grumman are using it for their new Omega rocket, which is sort of a revamp of the Ares I and Liberty designs. USAF has put up money towards development and apparently they will be using the VAB.
Old 14th April 2019, 02:55 AM   #29
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Will come in handy when we have to lift whales to their spaceships.

As long as they can swim that last little bit from 10km to LEO.
Old 14th April 2019, 03:00 AM   #30
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
As long as they can swim that last little bit from 10km to LEO.
A diet of beans should provide sufficient thrust.
Old 14th April 2019, 06:42 AM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Geez, Louise, the first thing I see when clicking on that is the caption:
"If successful the jet would be a cheaper way to launch objects into space than using rockets." So much fail.
Old 14th April 2019, 08:13 AM   #32
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

"If successful the jet would be a cheaper way to launch objects into space than using rockets." So much fail.
Just read a little further.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 12:05 PM   #33
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Just read a little further.
I did. The caption writer didn't.
Old 14th April 2019, 01:24 PM   #34
cjameshuff
Thinker

I did. The caption writer didn't.
Sounds like you didn't read to the point where it said: "The idea is to fly the plane to 10 km (6.2 miles) high before releasing satellites into orbit."

Or even to "the aircraft is designed to act as a flying launch pad for satellites".

Actually, the article's only direct reference to rockets being involved in air launch is in reference to Virgin Orbit.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:57 AM   #35
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Is this available on youtube or something?
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:10 AM   #36
ohms
Graduate Poster

Yep

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Or if you mean the Stratolaunch thing:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by ohms; 15th April 2019 at 02:11 AM.
ohms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:40 AM   #37
3point14
Pi

This think looks so Kerbal, and this method works brilliantly in KSP.

Of course, in KSP, I can reach a reasonable fraction of orbital velocity with a plane and zoom climb to really, really thin air.

I real life, not so much.

KSP is much more fun.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:42 AM   #38
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It's exceptionally beautiful. Looks like something out of Thunderbirds, but it's really happening.

Must be an amazing experience to be involved in making machines which can do that and then have people all over the world watch as they pull off the ultimate party trick.
Agreed!
Old 15th April 2019, 05:54 AM   #39
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Northrop Grumman are using it for their new Omega rocket, which is sort of a revamp of the Ares I and Liberty designs. USAF has put up money towards development and apparently they will be using the VAB.
Sorry for not coming back to the thread, but thanks to Garrison for the answer.

OmegA (as it is styled) uses a Shuttle-derived solid first stage and a cryogenic second stage, with options for additional stages and strap-on boosters. NG has leased or bought an unused Mobile Launch Platform and is starting to modify it for their rocket. So they’ll process it in the VAB (they’re leasing High Bay 2), and use the Crawler to transport it to Pad 39B for launch.

They’ll also control the launch from the Launch Control Center‘s Firing Room 4, which was reconfigured to support multiple commercial users and is in fact also being used by SpaceX for their Falcon Heavy launches.

This means that NASA’s Multi-User Spaceport concept for Launch Complex 39 is becoming a reality, which surprises me (and I support the development project on the SLS side), but it is a pleasant surprise. I’m a sucker for all that hardware.

To get a feel for the OmegA processing description, here’s the SLS Mobile Launcher in one of the VAB bays. The vertical doors are 456 feet (about 150 meters for you soccer fans) tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F479D7F0-C6A4-41A5-B955-654BD4E26EE6.jpg (62.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1D824697-4E7C-4203-92A8-ED64361E6D53.jpg (135.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by sts60; 15th April 2019 at 05:59 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 06:03 AM   #40
sts60
Illuminator

Also, here’s one of the side cores an hour and a half or so after landing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 930A62FC-C513-47C2-8DC2-AA68AC4ED9CB.jpg (27.8 KB, 7 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology