ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 28th November 2019, 09:51 PM   #2721
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Hitler's (bad) karma must be insignificant compared with Muhammad's because he (Muhammad) started a religion based on evil lies about God, and the effects of that are still going to go on for untold centuries into the future.
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
And your crack about Islam is wrong and uncalled for.
If anything Scorpion's comment about Muhammad, indicates Scorpion doesn't believe any of the "pick & mix religion" he is posting support for. How can Muhammad be blamed for things people did in the future? Does Scorpion think that Jesus is to be blamed for the KKK using the words of Jesus?

I don't think scorpion can set down a coherent map of his claims at all. I think Scorpion just cherry picks any religious claim that suits his own beliefs, at that moment.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:23 PM   #2722
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,329
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
God and the angels see the future as it will be, but seeing is not meddling.

But according to you they do meddle. They communicated through various mediums you've visited. Communication is meddling. Hamlet would have been pretty depressed one way or another, but the spirit of his father communicated that he was murdered. This set Hamlet off on a course he otherwise would not have taken.

You, for example, wouldn't be in this thread tying yourself in knots to explain your own view of God and angels if they hadn't communicated with humans. So, they've intervened in your life and made it different than it otherwise would have been.


Quote:
We make mistakes because of our lack of evolution or ignorance, those mistakes cause consequences, and we have to account for them. It goes on and on over countless lives, until we are cleansed of all karma.

Then why is the human population increasing? Shouldn't it be decreasing? Assuming angels are just lobbing souls at the earth like fastballs, why are they timing their soul delivery so exactly with the human birthrate. They never miss a baby and have one born without a soul. They never accidentally give a soul to a plastic drinking straw.

Has anybody finished the journey since the beginning of the species? Has anybody ever been cleansed of all karma? If so, why is God taking out our best players? He could let them stick around and guide the way for others, or at least teach them not to text and drive.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're using the word Karma wrong.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 06:20 AM   #2723
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,046
Please excuse this digression, but...

There used to be a podcast called “Reasonable Doubts”. In essence, two reformed believers discussing atheism and problems/issues with religion. They had a segment - I forget the name - that each week featured some usually obscure religion.

I listened to one or two, then began skipping that segment. Why? I find nothing more boring than hearing about someone else’s faith system - my position is they’re all artificial constructs based on wishful thinking and “just so” stories. Why waste time hearing about the theology of the mud people of Borneo*? Sure, there may be some vague historical curiosity about what the Romans or Greeks or Inca or Aztecs believed, but if it’s all made up B.S. anyway, who cares?

I mention this because that’s all the weight I give Scorpion’s beliefs, such as they are. They’re arbitrary, not reason-based, internally contradictory, and hence uninteresting - to me, anyway.

And yet, it’s a thread I follow. I’m not sure why, and it may not continue, but for now I find the psychology of the believer peculiarly interesting, along with other member’s responses, which for the most part have been fairly respectful.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming!


*Made up, but you get my drift.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 29th November 2019 at 06:22 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 09:20 AM   #2724
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Then why is the human population increasing? Shouldn't it be decreasing? Assuming angels are just lobbing souls at the earth like fastballs, why are they timing their soul delivery so exactly with the human birthrate. They never miss a baby and have one born without a soul. They never accidentally give a soul to a plastic drinking straw.

Has anybody finished the journey since the beginning of the species? Has anybody ever been cleansed of all karma? If so, why is God taking out our best players? He could let them stick around and guide the way for others, or at least teach them not to text and drive.
The number of souls on earth is only a small amount of the spirits that exist, either incarnate on other planets, or in between lives in the spirit world.
A trance medium said there is a big queue of souls waiting to incarnate on this planet at the present time, because of the great advancements we are making.

Jesus and Buddha may be examples of enlightened souls who only came back to teach us. They had achieved enlightenment and had no need to get reborn other than as teachers. There is supposedly a group of enlightened souls in the spirit world who work with the angels of karma to help human evolution.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 09:37 AM   #2725
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,289
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
A trance medium said...
Fake news. Prove to me here and now that your "trance medium" is a legitimate authority and not one of the charlatans you say you can't tell from the real thing. You told me yesterday you didn't know or remember where you got some of this stuff. So now we have to try to distinguish between things you might have heard from an external source and things you simply make up on the fly.

Quote:
Jesus and Buddha may be examples of enlightened souls who only came back to teach us.
No. Earlier you told us that the more enlightened a spirit gets, the less individual identity it has. That's because you're stealing bits from dharmic animism to fill in the gaps in your reincarnation claims. How predictable then that you identify the two great figures in the religions you're trying to mash together to make up your own.

Quote:
There is supposedly a group of enlightened souls in the spirit world who work with the angels of karma to help human evolution.
But teaching is consummate meddling. You keep trying to tell us that the angels of karma can't actually affect human lives. But then the whole cult of your religion is for them to do precisely that. If that's the case, then it's the angels of karma who are responsible, not the spirits being manipulated.

Last edited by JayUtah; 29th November 2019 at 10:19 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:35 AM   #2726
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,289
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I find nothing more boring than hearing about someone else’s faith system - my position is they’re all artificial constructs based on wishful thinking and “just so” stories.
My position too. But in my case I find it generally interesting to determine how people arrive at belief. Some of that is self-serving: I have lived all over the world, and I find it helpful to know what the prevailing religions in these areas have to say about things. It colors their approach to life and living. How can one live in Utah and not at least defensibly know something about Mormons and Mormonism? I don't propose to believe in the religions, but I can avoid unwanted offense and tension. Not really where you were going with that, I realize, but I just wanted to provide contrast.

Quote:
Scorpion’s beliefs [are] arbitrary, not reason-based, internally contradictory, and hence uninteresting - to me, anyway.
I agree with the first part -- the allegations of fact. It's interesting to see religions that arise in the age of reason. It's easy to see what happens when fearful people attempt to explain the odd observations around them, and turn to superstition to do so. Addressing the second part, it amuses me to watch someone pretend to reason through the construction of a religion and so utterly fail at it. So the actual beliefs are not themselves interesting. As you and others have said, it's just a hodgepodge of crap that seems to be made up on the spot. That's what's interesting. Skeptics seem to have a fondness for the art of an argument. That's why it was skeptics who came up with the original Flat Earth claims. They wanted to see how far an obviously wrong argument could be made to go.

Sadly Scorpion's skill at argument is as poor as the objective validity of his claims. I guess it's the road accident that we all slow down to look at.

Quote:
But for now I find the psychology of the believer peculiarly interesting, along with other member’s responses, which for the most part have been fairly respectful.
And this is because Scorpion is open about his mental illness. Those of us who have experience being around those who suffer the same illness can easily see some of the symptoms. On the other hand, Scorpion is equally honest about his reasons not to seek treatment for his illness. So we walk a fine line between sympathy for the cognitive consequences he's dealing with, but also holding him responsible for the choices he has made in dealing with it.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:30 PM   #2727
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,289
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think that is giving it too much credit, it's simply a hodge podge of things Scorpion thinks he has heard, the only filter being used is "what makes me feel good".
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I don't think scorpion can set down a coherent map of his claims at all. I think Scorpion just cherry picks any religious claim that suits his own beliefs, at that moment.
You guys might be right after all. I think I see a pattern in what he chooses to address each new question. But I might be cherry-picking. To me he seems to vacillate between dharmic animism when he needs to talk about the cycle of life, karma, and so forth, and relatively ordinary Christianity when he needs to talk about individual responsibility and personalized afterlives. But really it's a bowl of spaghetti. It's all tossed together with a marinara of obvious charlatans that Scorpion alternately dismisses as frauds or cites as authoritative sources.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 03:01 PM   #2728
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,723
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You guys might be right after all. I think I see a pattern in what he chooses to address each new question. But I might be cherry-picking. To me he seems to vacillate between dharmic animism when he needs to talk about the cycle of life, karma, and so forth, and relatively ordinary Christianity when he needs to talk about individual responsibility and personalized afterlives. But really it's a bowl of spaghetti. It's all tossed together with a marinara of obvious charlatans that Scorpion alternately dismisses as frauds or cites as authoritative sources.
And the trance medium that once said whatever might support the notion du jour is the spicy meatball that no one can swallow. Mama mia!
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 06:08 PM   #2729
Humots
Critical Thinker
 
Humots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 400
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I believe God created at least two separate species. Our human spirits, and the race of angels. The angels never incarnate and have little choice but to serve the will of God because his power is obvious to them.
So the angels have little (or no) choice but to obey God because of his power. Sounds like God threatens them into obeying, at least implicitly.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There may be some truth in the story of the fallen angel, but the spirit world teaches there is no supreme devil. It has been said that sometimes the angels envy us our struggles, because they are all they can be. But we are on the long road of self discovery and free choice. We cannot be made perfect by magic and need to experience life for ourselves. We are all sons of God and we will all have to realize the power within us for ourselves over many lives.
In my experience, when someone says something happened "by magic" they mean (mockingly) "by some unknown force."

God wouldn't be making us perfect "by magic." Omnipotent, remember?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
As for not letting your daughter touch hot objects, you cannot always stop her making bad choices in life, and she has to learn for herself. Sooner or later you have to let go.
No, I cannot always stop her from making bad choices. But at some point she grows up and becomes the best person to make choices for herself.

At what point in her life do I "let go?" When she's five? Six? Twelve?

Of course not.

My point is that based on your claims, God does just that. He "lets us go" in the sense of abandoning us when we are still children. Your Angels of Karma do not tell us anything, they just arrange for learning or rewarding or punishing experiences to happen without context.

If a person lives a hard life because of something they did wrong in a past life, how do they know that? Because some medium tells them?

My wife and I suffered the loss of our first child. If we asked a medium, he/she might say:

"It's a punishment for something you (Me? My wife? Both of us?) did in a past life. You ask what it was? I have no idea, just something bad. Accept it."

or perhaps:

"It's a learning experience that will lead to great accomplishments in your next life. Only you won't remember it."

or perhaps:

"You will be compensated in your next life. Only you won't know it."

Not a very workable method.
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 08:09 PM   #2730
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,363
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Jesus and Buddha may be examples of enlightened souls who only came back to teach us. They had achieved enlightenment and had no need to get reborn other than as teachers. There is supposedly a group of enlightened souls in the spirit world who work with the angels of karma to help human evolution.
Sorry, you don't get to mix and match religious figures.

First, Jesus was a Jew and a Rabbi, and would have been against mediums (soothsayers) and in general was against people wasting their time with woo, and taught his followers to be kind, to share, and to help out when they could. Very much rooted in earthly concerns.

Plus there's the whole "Jesus will return" thing which is kind of the centerpiece of Christianity and its Easter holiday.

Buddha was very much about paying attention to "the now" and not fretting about the future nor the past, and generally getting you act together.

What about the wisest man of all, Murphy, who's laws truly unveil the secrets of existence? If ever there was a purveyor of truth it is the laws of Murphy.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:00 PM   #2731
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You guys might be right after all. I think I see a pattern in what he chooses to address each new question. But I might be cherry-picking. To me he seems to vacillate between dharmic animism when he needs to talk about the cycle of life, karma, and so forth, and relatively ordinary Christianity when he needs to talk about individual responsibility and personalized afterlives. But really it's a bowl of spaghetti. It's all tossed together with a marinara of obvious charlatans that Scorpion alternately dismisses as frauds or cites as authoritative sources.
I happen to have poked into this whole thing in the past. The actual model, given some foundational assumptions, is fairly self consistent, if rather grim. Charity and aiding anyone in need is out the window, were on to follow such. Naturally, I buy not a word of it.

Nevertheless, Scorpion appears to have heard some of it and promptly failed to work it through to it's natural conclusions. Chinese whispers style.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:18 AM   #2732
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Sorry, you don't get to mix and match religious figures.

First, Jesus was a Jew and a Rabbi, and would have been against mediums (soothsayers) and in general was against people wasting their time with woo, and taught his followers to be kind, to share, and to help out when they could. Very much rooted in earthly concerns.

Plus there's the whole "Jesus will return" thing which is kind of the centerpiece of Christianity and its Easter holiday.

Buddha was very much about paying attention to "the now" and not fretting about the future nor the past, and generally getting you act together.

What about the wisest man of all, Murphy, who's laws truly unveil the secrets of existence? If ever there was a purveyor of truth it is the laws of Murphy.
I have heard a spirit guide mention Jesus and Buddha in the same breath, describing them as spiritual masters. But unsurprisingly I never even heard them mention Muhammad. He was obviously a false prophet. The kind that Jesus warned against.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:23 AM   #2733
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,541
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have heard a spirit guide mention Jesus and Buddha in the same breath, describing them as spiritual masters. But unsurprisingly I never even heard them mention Muhammad. He was obviously a false prophet. The kind that Jesus warned against.
Can you really not think of a more plausible reason why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 05:12 AM   #2734
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,864
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Can you really not think of a more plausible reason why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
Especially given the history of violence of both Christianity and Buddhism.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 05:25 AM   #2735
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have heard a spirit guide mention Jesus and Buddha in the same breath, describing them as spiritual masters. But unsurprisingly I never even heard them mention Muhammad. He was obviously a false prophet. The kind that Jesus warned against.
Nope. To be exact, you have heard some dishonest "medium" dishonestly claiming to "channel" a "spirit guide" mention jesus and buddha in the same breath.

Or are you changing your claims to be that you had that direct communication yourself despite previous claims that you had no such communication ever (with the exception of lottery numbers)? If so, I am moved to wonder why "spirit guides" need to breathe, among other questions.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:20 AM   #2736
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Especially given the history of violence of both Christianity and Buddhism.
Jesus and Buddha both taught non violence. But Muhammad did not.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:24 AM   #2737
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Can you really not think of a more plausible reason why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
If God was the source of the Quran we are all in terrible trouble, because it makes him out to be a semi literate, sadistic monster. I have written a lot of criticism of the Quran on the following thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...326115&page=38
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:27 AM   #2738
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. To be exact, you have heard some dishonest "medium" dishonestly claiming to "channel" a "spirit guide" mention jesus and buddha in the same breath.

Or are you changing your claims to be that you had that direct communication yourself despite previous claims that you had no such communication ever (with the exception of lottery numbers)? If so, I am moved to wonder why "spirit guides" need to breathe, among other questions.
Yes, I do not know for sure if the medium was genuine.

I do not know if spirits breath, but I don't think so because I have read somewhere they can go underwater without drowning.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 08:41 AM   #2739
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,541
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If God was the source of the Quran we are all in terrible trouble, because it makes him out to be a semi literate, sadistic monster. I have written a lot of criticism of the Quran on the following thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...326115&page=38
This is not an answer to my question.

Once again: Can you really not think of a more plausible reason [than Muhammad "being a false prophet"] why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:05 AM   #2740
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
This is not an answer to my question.

Once again: Can you really not think of a more plausible reason [than Muhammad "being a false prophet"] why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
No, I figure the spirit world know full well Muhammad was a lying bandit, who scared people into fighting for him for fear of Allah. They are hardly likely to mention him in the same way as Jesus and Buddha.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:13 AM   #2741
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,541
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, I figure the spirit world know full well Muhammad was a lying bandit, who scared people into fighting for him for fear of Allah. They are hardly likely to mention him in the same way as Jesus and Buddha.
I asked about the motivations of "the mediums you visit", not "the spirit world".

Try again.

Can you really not think of a more plausible reason why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:23 AM   #2742
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Jesus and Buddha both taught non violence. But Muhammad did not.
Jesus did no such thing.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If God was the source of the Quran we are all in terrible trouble, because it makes him out to be a semi literate, sadistic monster. I have written a lot of criticism of the Quran on the following thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...326115&page=38
Bible god is a bloodthirsty thug. His son is a violent revolutionary.

Seriously, have you not read the bible?

Westboro Baptist church is a truly horrible cult, and they strictly follow the bible.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:24 AM   #2743
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I asked about the motivations of "the mediums you visit", not "the spirit world".

Try again.

Can you really not think of a more plausible reason why the mediums you visit would mention Jesus and Buddha but not Muhammad?
Nope.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:27 AM   #2744
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes, I do not know for sure if the medium was genuine.
Really? And you believe it anyway?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I do not know if spirits breath, but I don't think so because I have read somewhere they can go underwater without drowning.
Again with the vague "heard it somewhere".

The pope is gay. It must be true because somebody, somewhere said that once. I'm sure I vaguely remember that. Are you convinced?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:39 AM   #2745
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Jesus did no such thing.
Are you going to quote me the only bible verse which says Jesus brought a sword? Because near enough everything else he said was benign.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:44 AM   #2746
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,541
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Nope.
Consider that most spiritualist mediums even today, let alone back in the 70s, would know virtually nothing about Muhammad, but would be very familiar with Jesus and reasonably familiar with Buddha. Consider that the same would be true of most of their audience.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:51 AM   #2747
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,541
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Are you going to quote me the only bible verse which says Jesus brought a sword? Because near enough everything else he said was benign.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/mt/cr_list.html

And that's just Matthew.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 10:43 AM   #2748
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Are you going to quote me the only bible verse which says Jesus brought a sword? Because near enough everything else he said was benign.
Breaking up families deliberately is benign? Explain that.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 11:03 AM   #2749
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
One can almost feel the "parable, metaphor and context" excuse en route.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:11 PM   #2750
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,020
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I do not know if spirits breath, but I don't think so because I have read somewhere they can go underwater without drowning.
If they can breathe in air, then why couldn't they breathe in water?

If you can come with an explanation for why a spirit could breathe in air but not in water, then I'll come with an equally plausible (or implausible) reason for why they can do both.

edit: "A medium once said..." or "I once read..." are not explanations unless they include the actual explanation.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:53 PM   #2751
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,289
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, I figure the spirit world know full well Muhammad was a lying bandit, who scared people into fighting for him for fear of Allah.
How many Muslim countries have you lived in, Scorpion? Please give me an actual number. You throw a lot of shade on the Qur'an and Islam. I guess that's part of your online character. But consider that the sources you're citing for your religion are circus side-show acts at best. At worst it's just you making stuff up as you go. People who live in crystal balls shouldn't throw rocks.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 01:17 PM   #2752
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,864
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Jesus and Buddha both taught non violence. But Muhammad did not.
Yet Christians and Buddhists have carried out many atrocities over the centuries.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:05 PM   #2753
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,908
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The number of souls on earth is only a small amount of the spirits that exist, either incarnate on other planets, or in between lives in the spirit world.
A trance medium said there is a big queue of souls waiting to incarnate on this planet at the present time, because of the great advancements we are making.
I recall your comments about this planet becoming somewhat nicer than it used to be, and I suggested perhaps that made it not so suitable for someone doing the hard yards, in their reincarnation experiences.

As I recall you commented that other planets existed that may be able to fill the gap. Now you say there is a queue of souls lining up to come to this not so good training ground?

Do you see some contradiction here?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes, I do not know for sure if the medium was genuine.

I do not know if spirits breath, but I don't think so because I have read somewhere they can go underwater without drowning.

I thought spirits were no material. What use would they have of air?

This gets more complex and contradictory as time goes on.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:30 PM   #2754
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,358
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
This gets more complex and contradictory as time goes on.
That's what happens when fanbys treat fanfic as cannon.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:31 PM   #2755
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,046
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

This gets more complex and contradictory as time goes on.
I like the term “arbitrary”.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 04:01 PM   #2756
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I recall your comments about this planet becoming somewhat nicer than it used to be, and I suggested perhaps that made it not so suitable for someone doing the hard yards, in their reincarnation experiences.

As I recall you commented that other planets existed that may be able to fill the gap. Now you say there is a queue of souls lining up to come to this not so good training ground?

Do you see some contradiction here?
Nope. That is part of the internally consistent logic. So long as one accept the assumptions, it all works. Of course the entire lot is predicated upon a bucket of ****, but so long as one accepts that bucket. the conclusions follow logically. For a given value of logic. After all, if one assumes faulty premises for anything then one can make up whatever one pleases, or displeases. or doesn't care about.

Nevertheless, our protagonist is in a different class. His working assumption appears to be that nobody here has given this baloney a moments thought until he rocked up. This is patently false. Why he clings to it is anyone's guess. I defer to Scorpion to identify that. It is not my role to insert words into his mouth.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I thought spirits were no material. What use would they have of air?
Well none. Hence my question about breathing which has not been satisfactorily been answered, so far.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
This gets more complex and contradictory as time goes on.
Given all I know, I know it is baloney from top to bottom. Given all I know, I could mount a logical defense and indeed a case for the superstitious crap. So why do I not? Because it would require me to flat out lie to you and everyone else.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 04:13 PM   #2757
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,674
The real horror of Scorpion's belief system is that he thinks it is moral to see ones fellow man die in a gutter and stand aside as a disinterested observer and merely let it happen.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #2758
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,363
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have heard a spirit guide mention Jesus and Buddha in the same breath, describing them as spiritual masters. But unsurprisingly I never even heard them mention Muhammad. He was obviously a false prophet. The kind that Jesus warned against.
The spirit guide is a disgusting bigot.

The point of having spiritual beliefs is to help one become a better person. This ant-Islamic stuff is not healthy spiritually or intellectually.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 06:13 PM   #2759
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,363
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Are you going to quote me the only bible verse which says Jesus brought a sword? Because near enough everything else he said was benign.
Really? Even the part where he chases the money-changers out of the Temple with a bullwhip? That's a Jesus I can get behind.

Plus all of the Apostles were armed and Judas was part of a sect of people who were well known assassins. Technically the J-Man was a USAF TACP for a 12-man SF ODA team.

He taught kindness and compassion but he taught that one should be ready to stand up for what they believe in. That whole "Turn the Other Cheek" thing is not about non-violence, its about forcing your adversary to treat you as a equal.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 07:47 PM   #2760
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,329
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have heard a spirit guide mention Jesus and Buddha in the same breath, describing them as spiritual masters. But unsurprisingly I never even heard them mention Muhammad. He was obviously a false prophet. The kind that Jesus warned against.

Do you actually think that the mediums gave you an exhaustive list of spiritual masters? And that there only two? Otherwise, maybe they just didn't get around to mentioning Muhammad.

You ask me for a list of all of Snow White's dwarves. I answer, "Sleapy, Sneezy, Dopey, Doc, Bashful, and Grumpy." Do you automatically assume that Happy was not a dwarf, or that he was a false dwarf?

I think you're reading your own social prejudices into what you were told by mediums. Did you ever ask, "What about Muhammed?" I doubt you did.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.