ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2018, 07:20 AM   #41
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well if by that you mean Republican candidate and head of the Illinois Log Cabin Republicans then yes.

https://www.advocate.com/business/20...an-over-coupon

"A local leader of the conservative LGBT group the Log Cabin Republicans and a state delegate for Donald Trump in the 2016 election, Matson is currently running for the 48th Ward Alderman on a platform that includes “Restoring Law and Order,” according to his campaign site.

"Welcome to Chicago where 'No Lives Matter.' Living here is like living in a real-life ultra-violent video game. City Hall Democrats say the cops get the blame,” his website reads. "Parents should be able to send their children off to school without fear of them getting caught between gangland crossfire along the way.”

“Matson believes in law and order and will see to it that Chicago's Finest are treated like the heroes that they are,” the site continues.

But Matson, who called the police on a woman for what he said he believed was a fraudulent coupon, has a spotty history. "
Isn't the hilited the real issue here? Calling the cops over a coupon you don't recognize? Has he done this with other customers? The normal thing, is it?
Old 16th July 2018, 07:29 AM   #42
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It is not the stuff of forgeries - the coupon was too large an amount - $17.95. You don't forge coupons of that denomination. You go for $1 off of Minute Maid or $.75 off of Scott Towels and you do them in volume.
When I was a kid there was a grocery store that gave us actual cash for cents-off coupons. Then the manufacturers got wise and started asking grocery stores for evidence that it had really sold that much Minute Maid.

Nice while it lasted.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 03:22 PM   #43
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Is that a usual way of refunding for a defective product in the States? In the UK, within the warranty period, the onus is on the retailer to replace or refund in the first instance, and the retailer would then take it up with the manufacturer. A consumer would generally only go direct to the manufacturer if the retailer had gone out of business. The retailer would then replace or refund in cash.

It is for groceries. I bought several boxes of breakfast cereal for my cousin a month or so ago, and three of them were recalled for possible salmonella contamination the next day.

I called Kellogg's, gave them the lot numbers off the boxes, and they promptly sent me three coupons good for one free Kellogg's product up to $5.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:29 PM   #44
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well if by that you mean Republican candidate and head of the Illinois Log Cabin Republicans then yes.

https://www.advocate.com/business/20...an-over-coupon

"A local leader of the conservative LGBT group the Log Cabin Republicans and a state delegate for Donald Trump in the 2016 election, Matson is currently running for the 48th Ward Alderman on a platform that includes “Restoring Law and Order,” according to his campaign site.

"Welcome to Chicago where 'No Lives Matter.' Living here is like living in a real-life ultra-violent video game. City Hall Democrats say the cops get the blame,” his website reads. "Parents should be able to send their children off to school without fear of them getting caught between gangland crossfire along the way.”
Not that this clown actually care, but:

Two things worth pointing out that contribute to this "crossfire" - the closing of public schools, which often require school students to cross gang territory lines in order to get an education,

Chicago Police themselves, who often work to worsen gang tensions, and relations between police and community, as extensively documented by the Obama-era DoJ, which Dolt 45 and Jeff Sessions has effectively blocked. This leads to nastiness like what we saw this weekend...

(And yes, dems do play a role in this as well, particularly Rahm Emmanuel - but as always, only a complete idiot would consider the GOP to be anything other than strong proponents of more violence based on their behavior in the past decade. As in most cities, groups like BLM are the ones actually working to ease these issues.)

Quote:
“Matson believes in law and order and will see to it that Chicago's Finest are treated like the heroes that they are,” the site continues.
So...strict federal oversight? I mean, I doubt I'm the only person what considers forced confessions via genital mutilation to be less than "heroic"...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 09:09 PM   #45
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Yay! More click bait to get the Trumpista-defenders riled up.

Woman ("I'm black, not African-American") tries to use a coupon in a CVS in Chicago and the manager says it's a fake and then, quaking in fear (understandably - he's a Republican and blacks are scary, amirite) phones the police.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/wat...e-fake-coupon/

Probably another of those Cook County Democrats we hear about.
It didn't occur to me until just now, but the gentleman is definitely sporting that nouveau-Hitler-Youth haircut that is famously worn by Jason Kessler, Richard Spencer, James Fields, and others who have lately made names for themselves Securing a Future for White Children.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 04:22 AM   #46
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
It is for groceries. I bought several boxes of breakfast cereal for my cousin a month or so ago, and three of them were recalled for possible salmonella contamination the next day.

I called Kellogg's, gave them the lot numbers off the boxes, and they promptly sent me three coupons good for one free Kellogg's product up to $5.
In the UK the opposite generally happens. People are usually advised to return recalled products to the retailer they bought them from. The retailer will issue the refund, and then claw it back from the manufacturer.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 05:10 PM   #47
newyorkguy
Philosopher

What's different about this incident, all of these incidents, is the video footage. Imagine if there was NO video -- just the woman's version versus that of Morry 'Living here is like living in a real-life ultra-violent video game' Matson's version.

First time I recall one of these incidents being filmed was in Brooklyn where an emotionally disturbed but unarmed black man in a black neighborhood climbed a store awning and was 'brought down' by an NYPD officer shooting him. Onlookers were horrified but no one believed them. Including me! I figured there HAD to be more to the story. But there wasn't more to the story; there was less. The video surfaced and the story ended when the cop who fired the shot committed suicide.

More relevant is the CVS response:
Quote:
“We sincerely apologize to Ms. Hudson for her experience in one of our stores. Our Region Director in Chicago contacted Ms. Hudson as soon as we were made aware of this incident. CVS has begun an investigation and we will take any corrective action that is warranted to prevent it from happening again,” CVS spokesperson Mike DeAngelis said in a statement.
Below is an image of the Coupon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coupon Presented at CVS.jpg (125.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 17th July 2018 at 05:11 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 12:13 AM   #48
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I've had coupons rejected once in a while by stores. They just say "sorry, we don't accept this coupon" and then I either pay full price or I just leave. I am white, so none of them ever ended up calling the police on me during these incidents.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 04:30 AM   #49
mikado
Graduate Poster

So not being American, how does this coupon thing work?
Old 18th July 2018, 04:32 AM   #50
mikado
Graduate Poster

What's going on is called "fear". He's trembling! As I said (before I facetiously called him a Cook County Democrat in a nod to one of our more monomaniacal posters), he's a Republican. A Trump Republican. A Log Cabin Trump Republican.

TRW isn't Fox & Friends, and he's facing a lage angry black woman. And he's quaking in his boots.
Looks more like Parkinson's to me than fear..just my two cents worth
Old 18th July 2018, 03:35 PM   #51
newyorkguy
Philosopher

...Coupons are made to be printed and are bar-coded. You scan that puppy and your system will tell you if it's valid. CVS (nor any corporate retailer) does not need the hired help playing Sherlock Holmes. You scan the coupon and accept it or deny it based on the POS system's response. If the system comes up negative and the customer insists, you call a senior manager or call corporate. You do not call the police.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. You scan the UPC and if it doesn't go through you apologetically tell the customer, "I'm very sorry but this isn't scanning." The two employees reportedly accused the woman of presenting a forged coupon. I guess I should say former employees:
Quote:
CVS has fired two employees at a store in the Edgewater neighborhood who called the police on a black female customer Saturday after she attempted to use a coupon. “We have completed our investigation, and as a result the two colleagues who were involved are no longer employed by CVS Health,” Mike DeAngelis, a spokesman for CVS Health, said in an email. Link

In addition to the racial issue, the woman who presented the coupon said it was for a product used for incontinence and therefore, understandably, she felt a tad uncomfortable to begin with. Is Morry "MAGA" Matson still running for alderman in Chicago's 48th Ward? Depending on the political makeup of the district, an incident like this could put him over the top come November.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 04:16 PM   #52
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
...Is Morry "MAGA" Matson still running for alderman in Chicago's 48th Ward?

Nope.

Quote:
Morry Matson, an independent candidate for 48th Ward alderman, announced Tuesday he is withdrawing from the race due to health problems. Matson said in an email that he had suffered a brain seizure in May that required surgery, which would prevent him from continuing his campaign. Matson claimed on his campaign website that he was a Trump delegate, however the Illinois Republican Party said he was not a delegate to the Republican National Convention. Link

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events