ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , belief in god , Leonardo Blair , mental health issues

Old 1st January 2020, 12:16 AM   #1
DOC
Philosopher

Therapist says if you're an atheist you should lie to your kids about God.

The therapist in the below cited article believes that if you don't believe in God or heaven you should lie to your kids (about God) to promote better mental health.

From an article in the Christian Post by Leonardo Blair

"...I am often asked by parents, ‘How do I talk to my child about death if I don’t believe in God or Heaven?’ My answer is always the same: ‘Lie.’ The idea that you simply die and turn to dust may work for some adults, but it doesn’t help children. Belief in Heaven helps them grapple with this tremendous and incomprehensible loss. In an age of broken families, distracted parents, school violence and nightmarish global-warming predictions, imagination plays a big part in children’s ability to cope,” said Komisar, who is Jewish...

https://www.christianpost.com/news/p...pist-says.html
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
The therapist in the below cited article believes that if you don't believe in God or heaven you should lie to your kids (about God) to promote better mental health.

"...I am often asked by parents, ‘How do I talk to my child about death if I don’t believe in God or Heaven?’ My answer is always the same: ‘Lie.’ The idea that you simply die and turn to dust may work for some adults, but it doesn’t help children. Belief in Heaven helps them grapple with this tremendous and incomprehensible loss. In an age of broken families, distracted parents, school violence and nightmarish global-warming predictions, imagination plays a big part in children’s ability to cope,” said Komisar, who is Jewish...

https://www.christianpost.com/news/p...pist-says.html

If you were an atheist, would you lie to us about God for the same reason?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 05:51 AM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

<snip>]
So what? God is still a myth.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:01 AM   #4
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

What a lot of nonsense.

Quote:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 KJV

The prerequisite to everlasting life is belief.

Last edited by Vixen; 1st January 2020 at 07:14 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:07 AM   #5
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I don't see the harm in it, just like there's no harm in promoting the existence of Santa or the Tooth Fairy . If you bring your kids up as best you can and encourage enquiring minds, then they'll form their own conclusions pretty quickly.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:43 AM   #6
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Which gods should you tell your children to believe in?

Quote:
That explains it.

I would have said that if you're foolish enough to believe in gods, please don't lie to your children. Let them know you're a fool.

Christians prefer lies, atheists prefer truth.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:50 AM   #7
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I found that faking like a believer at times and misleading therapist types nets greater results.

They really don't need to know how I believe as there is no reason to change.

Are there really weak atheists that go to a christian therapist for advice on raising thier kids?
Only from a site that exists to promote religious belief. I smell propaganda machines in the distance.

Last edited by 8enotto; 1st January 2020 at 07:55 AM.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 08:00 AM   #8
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I don't see the harm in it, just like there's no harm in promoting the existence of Santa or the Tooth Fairy . If you bring your kids up as best you can and encourage enquiring minds, then they'll form their own conclusions pretty quickly.
True up to a point, but I know some kids whose conclusions thus formed would include that their parents were liars and that their advice was unreliable.

Kids are subjected to all sorts of lies and myths and confusing cultural customs at school and elsewhere. I figured with my kids that it would be nice if, in all that mess there was someone they could trust. You don't have to ram anything home, or squash beliefs they pick up, but if they ask I think they deserve honest answers. Seemed to work for mine anyway. THey all grew up and seem to be doing all right.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 08:04 AM   #9
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
True up to a point, but I know some kids whose conclusions thus formed would include that their parents were liars and that their advice was unreliable.

Kids are subjected to all sorts of lies and myths and confusing cultural customs at school and elsewhere. I figured with my kids that it would be nice if, in all that mess there was someone they could trust. You don't have to ram anything home, or squash beliefs they pick up, but if they ask I think they deserve honest answers. Seemed to work for mine anyway. THey all grew up and seem to be doing all right.
Also true. With mine, he was given both sides of the coin, mixed in with whatever he picked up at school and from various friends (and his Catholic mother).

He's doing OK as is his satanic cult.

(JK)
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 08:08 AM   #10
sackett
Philosopher

The rapist says you should lie to your kids sex.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:33 AM   #11
DOC
Philosopher

Quote:
...From an article in the Christian Post by Leonardo Blair...

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post

...That explains it...
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
...Are there really weak atheists that go to a christian therapist for advice on raising thier kids?
Only from a site that exists to promote religious belief. I smell propaganda machines in the distance.
Actually it's irrelevant what type of magazine or website the article is in since the article is reporting on the beliefs of a Jewish licensed Psychoanalyst.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:38 AM   #12
Wolrab
Illuminator

He's licensed by Jews?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:39 AM   #13
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Quote:
...From an article in the Christian Post by Leonardo Blair...

Actually it's irrelevant what type of magazine or website the article is in since the article is reporting on the beliefs of a Jewish licensed Psychoanalyst.
Actually, it's very relevant. You didn't answer the question: Which gods should atheists lie about the existence of to their children?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:42 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Actually, it's very relevant. You didn't answer the question: Which gods should atheists lie about the existence of to their children?
If he is Jewish one would assume the big Y guy not the J guy.
Old 1st January 2020, 10:14 AM   #15
DOC
Philosopher

One could argue if the parents spoke of a Christian God they wouldn't be lying since Bart Ehrman said Jesus certainly existed and Christians believe Christ is part of the Godhead (Trinity) or as some say God in the flesh.
Old 1st January 2020, 10:16 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

One could argue if the parents spoke of a Christian God they wouldn't be lying since Bart Ehrman said Jesus certainly existed and Christians believe Christ is part of the Godhead (Trinity) or as some say God in the flesh.
That is a non sequitur, if a person called "Jesus" existed that kicked of the entire Christian religion it does not mean that he was or is a god.
Old 1st January 2020, 10:16 AM   #17
bluesjnr

Does it matter, it's a white lie at worst.
Old 1st January 2020, 11:04 AM   #18
DOC
Philosopher

Quote: ...Which gods should atheists lie about the existence of to their children?

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is a non sequitur, if a person called "Jesus" existed that kicked of the entire Christian religion it does not mean that he was or is a god.
But at least there is some historical evidence that he was God, so even though the parents might believe they were lying, there is some evidence that what they said was truthful if they were talking about the Christian God. The parents and many others believe they don't have proof he is God but there is some evidence he is God. I've talked about that evidence in several threads.

Last edited by DOC; 1st January 2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 1st January 2020, 11:13 AM   #19
Mojo
Mostly harmless

But at least there is some historical evidence that he was God...

Such as?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:19 AM   #20
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

What other things do you recommend lying about DOC?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:54 AM   #21
ynot
Philosopher

I question the quality of the mental health of anyone that claims lies promote better mental health.

The rapist says if you're not a rapist you should lie to your kids about consensual sex (to promote the interests of the rapist).

Last edited by ynot; 1st January 2020 at 12:01 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 12:10 PM   #22
sackett
Philosopher

DOC ole boy, you were comprehensively refuted here years ago. There's just as much evidence for Odin's godhead as for Jesus's. Or for Krshna -- who brings a mighty train of poetry with him, something you can't say for your dazed chrrrristanism.

And you learned nothing from the long trouncing your arguments got. I suspect that you've even grown more stubbornly ignorant during the time you've been gone. How would you convince me otherwise?

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove incivility

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil

Last edited by Agatha; 4th January 2020 at 03:44 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 12:32 PM   #23
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course people (including children) vary a lot, but I would contend that if parents intend to lie they are lying even if by some odd chance their lies turn out to come true.

I think if we aren't sure, we should say we're not sure. We don't need to volunteer embarrassing information, and don't need to get all hung up on categorical imperatives, but I think we should at least try to tell the truth.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 12:32 PM   #24
ynot
Philosopher

The OP is essentially saying “Lying works so well for us theists we think atheists should lie as well”.

Why is it always “Grandma is in heaven” and it’s never “Odds are Grandma is in hell”?
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 12:36 PM   #25
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
No one has ever grown up to persecute and even kill people because those people do not believe in Santa Claus. The belief in gods has had entirely different results.
Old 1st January 2020, 03:04 PM   #26
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

One could argue if the parents spoke of a Christian God they wouldn't be lying
What an inane thing to say. Atheists don't believe any gods exist so they would definitely be lying if they spoke of any of the Christian gods existing.

Quote:
since Bart Ehrman said Jesus certainly existed
Oh, you mean that you believe that a generic, non-divine Jesus existed. That certainly isn't any sort of god.

Quote:
and Christians believe Christ is part of the Godhead (Trinity) or as some say God in the flesh.
Why are we talking about which non-existent gods Christians believe in? Let's talk about all of the non-existent gods that you want atheists to lie about, not just yours.
Old 1st January 2020, 03:07 PM   #27
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Quote: ...Which gods should atheists lie about the existence of to their children?

But at least there is some historical evidence that he was God, so even though the parents might believe they were lying, there is some evidence that what they said was truthful if they were talking about the Christian God.
There is historical evidence for every invented god. I don't want to limit the discussion to just your non-existent one. So your opinion is that atheists and theists should lie about the existence of gods?

Quote:
The parents and many others believe they don't have proof he is God but there is some evidence he is God. I've talked about that evidence in several threads.
All of your claims of evidence have proven to be hollow. Hundreds of people have discussed that in several threads.
Old 1st January 2020, 04:38 PM   #28
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
If you were an atheist, would you lie to us about God for the same reason?
I can't speak for DOC, but I lie about God all the time.

You see, I know God well - and He's nothing like people think. He's actually a bit of a prick - and a moron. He also lies constantly, and didn't do half of what he says. Oh sure He created the Universe, but that was just an accident. Since then he hasn't done squat. He doesn't have any supernatural powers either. Isn't omniscient, can't answer prayers, can't even make a good burrito, let alone one that's too hot to eat. As for giving believers everlasting life - well what do you think? That's right, just another lie.

But I can't tell people that. Imagine what it would do to their mental health!
Old 1st January 2020, 06:07 PM   #29
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DOC
...but as least there is some historical evidence that he was God.
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Such as?
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...65#post9829265
Old 1st January 2020, 06:49 PM   #30
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Not convincing then. Not convincing now.
Old 1st January 2020, 07:01 PM   #31
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Oh my! Your arguments in that thread were absolutely shredded!

So which gods should we lie about the existence of? You've only mentioned one of the Christian gods, is that the only one whose existence you think needs to be lied about?

Last edited by RoboTimbo; 1st January 2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 1st January 2020, 07:37 PM   #32
DOC
Philosopher

Oh my! Your arguments in that thread were absolutely shredded!...
Argument by Assertion. Let the posts stand for themselves without offering up a wide sweeping opinion.

Last edited by DOC; 1st January 2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 1st January 2020, 07:58 PM   #33
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Argument by Assertion. Let the posts stand for themselves without offering up a wide sweeping opinion.
Actually, I'll do as I please. However, I note that you gave a sweeping opinion about your posts providing evidence when they don't. Beware the beam in your eye.

Which gods' existence are we supposed to lie to our children about? Do you think the Christian gods are the only ones that need to be lied about?
Old 1st January 2020, 10:25 PM   #34
DOC
Philosopher

...Which gods' existence are we supposed to lie to our children about? Do you think the Christian gods are the only ones that need to be lied about?
Well if you are an atheist and you think you'd be lying to your child if you chose any God it seems it would be better to at least choose the God (like the Christian God) that has some historical and other evidence to apply to it. Then as the child got older, they would at least have some historical and other evidence to back up their belief if they did indeed choose to disagree with you and believe in God.

Of course if you don't want your child to believe in God as an adult it would be better to promote a God that doesn't have much evidence to support the belief in it.

Last edited by DOC; 1st January 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 1st January 2020, 11:49 PM   #35
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Mythology a million times rewritten to new ideals isn't history or evidence.

It is only mythology. Much of it based in historical events like maybe a flood or earthquake but the explanation is all wrong.

You cannot stop religious membership dwindling with lies and mythology repeated many times.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:51 PM   #36
Steve
Philosopher

Well if you are an atheist and you think you'd be lying to your child if you chose any God it seems it would be better to at least choose the God (like the Christian God) that has some historical and other evidence to apply to it. Then as the child got older, they would at least have some historical and other evidence to back up their belief if they did indeed choose to disagree with you and believe in God.

Of course if you don't want your child to believe in God as an adult it would be better to promote a God that doesn't have much evidence to support the belief in it.
Evidence for existence of any god you could name is exactly the same - zero. Christian god included.
Old 1st January 2020, 11:57 PM   #37
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No one has ever grown up to persecute and even kill people because those people do not believe in Santa Claus. The belief in gods has had entirely different results.
A fact not disputed by anything I wrote.
Old 2nd January 2020, 02:43 AM   #38
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Not, in itself, necessarily bad advice. I've always told my kids, "Never believe anything your mother says," and she's always told them never to listen to their father. Possibly as a result, now they're grown up they show every sign of thinking for themselves.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 02:50 AM   #39
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Old 2nd January 2020, 02:59 AM   #40
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

That line of 'argumentation' only makes sense if you already believe in the Christian God and want to promote the Christian faith. So it does not apply to atheist.

Could you stick to the topic of your own thread and explain why it's better for children's mental health (rather than for their immortal souls) to be lied to by their parents?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy