ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , belief in god , Leonardo Blair , mental health issues

Old 2nd January 2020, 04:31 AM   #41
gypsyjackson
Muse

This is actually a question I'm considering now. I'm an atheist, my wife a Christian, and we live in a (legally secular, but in practical terms) Muslim country. In future, when I am asked by my daughter why mummy doesn't have to cover her hair but her teachers do, just how much of a dick is it going to be acceptable for me to be?

'Should I cover my hair, because all my classmates do'?
'Aina says mummy is going to hell because she eats pork, is she really'?

It's also tricky in that if she tells her classmates they're wrong, she'll probably get into a lot of trouble.

I did think I might go for the Dawkins 5000 gods answer, but not sure.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:10 AM   #42
Ulf Nereng
Student

When did christians begin to promote "Thou Shall Lie" ?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:13 AM   #43
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Well if you are an atheist and you think you'd be lying to your child if you chose any God it seems it would be better to at least choose the God (like the Christian God) that has some historical and other evidence to apply to it. Then as the child got older, they would at least have some historical and other evidence to back up their belief if they did indeed choose to disagree with you and believe in God.

Of course if you don't want your child to believe in God as an adult it would be better to promote a God that doesn't have much evidence to support the belief in it.
That makes absolutely no sense. The "historical and other evidence" for every god is of the same quality. The Christian gods have a huge volume of evidence AGAINST their existence.

No wonder Christians think it necessary to lie about their gods' existence. Are those the only gods whose existence you think needs to be lied about? You think the existence of other gods is more likely?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:23 AM   #44
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

If we are now lying to children because "reasons", where does it stop?

"Why do I have to use a wheelchair daddy?"

"God hates you."

"Why does mommy have cancer daddy?"

"God hates your mom, too."
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:34 AM   #45
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
What other things do you recommend lying about DOC?
Your wife's weight. Trust me.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:50 AM   #46
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Evidence for existence of any god you could name is exactly the same - zero. Christian god included.
I would have to disagree, there might not be proof for a lot of people, but there is evidence for the Christian God. Evidence and proof are not the same thing. As stated before, there is enough evidence out there for skeptic Bart Ehrman to say "Jesus certainly existed". And Christians believe Jesus is part of the Godhead (or Trinity) so a Christian can say I have historical evidence for my concept of God.

Also, in my lifetime I have seen countless people on TV (the latest being Kanye West) who have said Christianity has completely changed their lives. So we have some evidence for the power of Christianity. That power supports the existence of the being behind that power.

Also there is the evidence that it doesn't even make sense for Christianity to be in existence without a resurrection since the resurrection is the central focal point of the religion. How could a small group of scared followers on the outskirts of the Roman empire (whose leader was brutally executed) end up being the official religion of the mighty Roman Empire. It doesn't make sense without a resurrection added into the equation.

Last edited by DOC; 2nd January 2020 at 07:03 AM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:57 AM   #47
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
Actually the psychotherapist in the article was Jewish.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:03 AM   #48
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

You’re promoting it, too.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:04 AM   #49
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I thought you said they were a psychoanalyst.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:14 AM   #50
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

About 1990 years ago....
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:16 AM   #51
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

As stated before, there is enough evidence out there for skeptic Bart Ehrman to say "Jesus certainly existed". And Christians believe Jesus is part of the Godhead (or Trinity) so a Christian can say I have historical evidence for my concept of God.
Fallacy of equivocation. It has been claimed by some non-religious people that a real, human person called Jesus existed, and was involved in a significant part of the actions attributed to the character in the Bible described as Jesus, a part of the Trinity. This is in no sense evidence that the said character was in fact a part of the Trinity.

Also, in my lifetime I have seen countless people on TV (the latest being Kanye West) who have said Christianity has completely changed their lives. So we have some evidence for the power of Christianity. That power supports the existence of the being behind that power.
Selection bias, and non sequitur. There are many Christians, most of whom would presumably claim that Christianity has changed their lives for the better irrespective of whether this is in fact true; those of them who are successful will no doubt attribute their success to Christianity whether or not it has any relevance. And even if this effect were proven - which it is not - there are many other, far more trivial, reasons why a particular set of beliefs might lead to personal success.

Also there is the evidence that it doesn't even make sense for Christianity to be in existence without a resurrection since the resurrection is the central focal point of the religion. How could a small group of scared followers on the outskirts of the Roman empire (whose leader was brutally executed) end up being the official religion of the mighty Roman Empire. It doesn't make sense without a resurrection added into the equation.
Survivorship bias, pure and unembellished.

All in all, nowhere near strong enough evidence to make me want to lie to my children.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:28 AM   #52
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

I would have to disagree, there might not be proof for a lot of people, but there is evidence for the Christian God. Evidence and proof are not the same thing. As stated before, there is enough evidence out there for skeptic Bart Ehrman to say "Jesus certainly existed".
So we're talking about a mortal, non-divine Jesus then?

Quote:
And Christians believe Jesus is part of the Godhead (or Trinity) so a Christian can say I have historical evidence for my concept of God.
Stay on topic, DOC. This isn't about which gods Christians invent.

Quote:
No, it doesn't at all. You'd have to speak to a billion Chinese to figure out why. Again, stay on topic.

Quote:
Well, if you consider that the entire resurrection was invented, it makes sense that Christianity was founded on invented stories and plagiarized fables. Certainly not the kind of gods I'd want to lie about the existence of. I don't see how Christians can stomach lying about them.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:32 AM   #53
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Administrator

DOC, I think you're missing the point. You presented us with an article stating that non-believers should lie to their kids and promote a deity in times of great stress (death being the example given, but one can assume that it could be argued for other cases). What you have failed to do is satisfactory explain why it necessarily has to be the god of the Christians, other than the fact that it's the belief system (BS) that you happen to adhere to. What if a person followed a different BS? Should a Muslim also use Jehovah/Jesus? A Taoist? A Buddhist? A follower of a cargo cult?
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:10 AM   #54
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
...Well, if you consider that the entire resurrection was invented, it makes sense that Christianity was founded on invented stories and plagiarized fables...
The apostles (whom according to the bible saw Jesus after the crucifixion) didn't get martyred for stories they knew were invented:

https://www.christianity.com/church/...-11629558.html
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:17 AM   #55
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

The apostles (whom according to the bible saw Jesus after the crucifixion) didn't get martyred for stories they knew were invented:
You could say the same about the Branch Davidians.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:24 AM   #56
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Argument by Assertion.
Neither did the terrorist hijackers who flew planes into the WTC.
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:30 AM   #57
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning This thread is about the suggestion that non-Christians should lie to their children, not about evidence for the veracity of the events recounted in the Bible. Please stay focused if you can, or take the discussion of evidence for Christianity to another thread if you cannot.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:34 AM   #58
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We can't pretend like the Bible is a bunch of unsupported nonsense isn't at least a factor in whether or not it's some "valid opinion we have a moral duty to introduce our children to."

I'm not telling my (hypothetical) children about vaccine denial, flat eartherism, of 9/11 truther conspiracies in neutral terms and "let them figure out the truth from themselves" either.

Parents aren't morally required to "Teach the controversy."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd January 2020 at 08:43 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:40 AM   #59
Dave Rogers

If you want your children to be happy, wouldn't it be equally valid just to tell them that they live in Finland? As long as they believe it, that's as good as it actually being true.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:50 PM   #60
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

"Promote this religion by violating one of its commandments" is a weird strategy.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 07:16 AM   #61
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Administrator

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
"Promote this religion by violating one of its commandments" is a weird strategy.
This isn't exactly a "Lying for Jesus" moment though. It's saying that it's good for non-believers to lie for Jesus.

Or at least that's DOC's spin. I'm still trying to figure out why it necessarily has to be the Jehovah/Jesus combo platter for this to work (not that I necessarily agree that it would work, but I'm sure the therapist has her reasonings that I just cannot be arsed to go and research until I get my fundamental question of why it has to be Christianity that's pushed).
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 07:26 AM   #62
Thermal
Philosopher

Re: OP: I hate it when the rapist gives child rearing tips. Time and place, man.

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:13 AM   #63
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kmortis View Post
This isn't exactly a "Lying for Jesus" moment though. It's saying that it's good for non-believers to lie for Jesus.

Or at least that's DOC's spin. I'm still trying to figure out why it necessarily has to be the Jehovah/Jesus combo platter for this to work (not that I necessarily agree that it would work, but I'm sure the therapist has her reasonings that I just cannot be arsed to go and research until I get my fundamental question of why it has to be Christianity that's pushed).
He's trying to queue up in two checkout lines at the same time. The article in the OP is strictly utilitarian: Children get benefits from theism, regardless of its truth. But then when questioned on which branch of theism one should pick, DOC states that the one that appears to be the most true* should be preferred. So, should we prioritize the benefits, or the evidence? I'll let DOC decide which line he stands in.

Personally, I find it to be extremely rare that the truth is in conflict with utility. In this case, I can confidently state that Christianity is certainly false, and its evangelical form is morally abhorrent and detrimental to societies the world over. Promoting it to your children can result in lasting harm. Just don't do it.

*While this particular point is highly debatable, this is not the thread for that debate.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:39 AM   #64
xjx388
Philosopher

We never introduced God to our kids and my wife and I are former Catholics. Their maternal Grandmother made some attempts to get the kids properly churched up but they didn’t take. Probably because they weren’t reinforced at home.

My kids asked tricky questions when they were young. I remember my son telling me his friend said he was going to hell because he didn’t go to Church. I remember saying something to the effect of: “You know we aren’t a religious family. We just think the best thing we can do is try to be good people. We don’t think a God who created us as we are would put us here in this crazy world only to punish us forever for not being perfect. So don’t worry about Hell; just try to be a good person.”

So we never really refuted God, we just, when the subject came up, put God into a context that neutralized him...if that makes sense. Not really saying yes or no, just making it a matter they didn’t have to worry about.
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:42 AM   #65
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
He's trying to queue up in two checkout lines at the same time. The article in the OP is strictly utilitarian: Children get benefits from theism, regardless of its truth. But then when questioned on which branch of theism one should pick, DOC states that the one that appears to be the most true* should be preferred. So, should we prioritize the benefits, or the evidence? I'll let DOC decide which line he stands in.

Personally, I find it to be extremely rare that the truth is in conflict with utility. In this case, I can confidently state that Christianity is certainly false, and its evangelical form is morally abhorrent and detrimental to societies the world over. Promoting it to your children can result in lasting harm. Just don't do it.

*While this particular point is highly debatable, this is not the thread for that debate.

The religion that is most true should be obvious: Xjxianism. I am the living embodiment of God, talking to you now. What more proof could you need?
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:52 AM   #66
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is just the Third Person Pascal Wager "Oh oh oh well then answer me this you evil, evil, evil atheist.... if there's a person in front of you dying and they want you to comfort them by telling them there's a God waiting for them what do you tell them?" from yet another angle.

It's a trap question. We say no we're cruel, we say it's proof we really lack strength of conviction. And it's trying to manufacter another "Atheists really deep down know they don't believe what they say and change their tune whenever life gets hard" argument like all the "Famous atheist really converted on his death bed really honest" arguments.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:55 AM   #67
Ulf Nereng
Student

Originally Posted by kmortis View Post

That makes me wonder, what about telling the child that grandma has reached Nirvana now? Or that her soul has passed into another being but doesn't remember anything about her previous life? Sounds good? Or does it have to be that she is in Paradise and is waiting for us to join her there?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:58 AM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That makes me wonder, what about telling the child that grandma has reached Nirvana now? Or that her soul has passed into another being but doesn't remember anything about her previous life? Sounds good? Or does it have to be that she is in Paradise and is waiting for us to join her there?
Don't waste your breathe. People who demand atheists entertain hypothetical scenarios where they are "forced" to promote religion never seem to interested in entertaining hypotheticals where they have to promote a mythology not their own.
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:32 AM   #69
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

AIUI Christianity teaches that grandma's mouldering in her grave and will continue to do so until the second coming, when she'll be resurrected right here on earth. Or something.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:37 AM   #70
sackett
Philosopher

Man but I get tired of repeating this: the only thing religion is good for is comforting the dying. Would I lie to a dying person to afford him or her solace? Of course I would! So would you!

Would I lie to a child in the April of life on the recommendation of some ******* shrink? Or to please some droning evangelical? Never! And neither would you!

Are you there, DOC?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:04 PM   #71
Ulf Nereng
Student

No old person who I know would believe for a moment that I was now suddenly a believer in the afterlife. I might tell them to try to send me a message from the beyond on the off-chance that I was wrong, though. Perhaps that would give them a sort of final purpose?
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:33 PM   #72
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Quote: ...Which gods should atheists lie about the existence of to their children?

But at least there is some historical evidence that he was God, so even though the parents might believe they were lying, there is some evidence that what they said was truthful if they were talking about the Christian God. The parents and many others believe they don't have proof he is God but there is some evidence he is God. I've talked about that evidence in several threads.
If the parents are Greek atheists, should they lie to their children about the existence of Apollo, Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Ares, Athena, Artemis et al?

If the parents are Norse/German atheists, should they lie to their children about the existence Wōden, Odin, Thor, Freya, Rindr, Nerthuz, Hariasa, Loki et al?

I think this is the question RoboTimbo is asking, you know, the question you are avoiding.

Last edited by zooterkin; 3rd January 2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Broken quote tags
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 03:39 AM   #73
DOC
Philosopher

Therapist says if you're an atheist you should lie to your kids about God.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If the parents are Greek atheists, should they lie to their children about the existence of Apollo, Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Ares, Athena, Artemis et al?

If the parents are Norse/German atheists, should they lie to their children about the existence Wōden, Odin, Thor, Freya, Rindr, Nerthuz, Hariasa, Loki et al?

I think this is the question RoboTimbo is asking, you know, the question you are avoiding.
Belief in the Greek and Roman gods eventually subsided as Christianity took hold in the Roman Empire. So it would seem better for those Greek and Norse parents to go with the Christian God.

Edited by Agatha:  This is an edited copy of the original post sent to AAH. On request, I have copied the post back into the thread with the off-topic material removed.

Last edited by Agatha; 4th January 2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 4th January 2020, 04:02 AM   #74
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by Agatha:  removed offtopic material sent to AAH

You are dodging again. Answer the bloody question!

Last edited by Agatha; 4th January 2020 at 12:02 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 04:52 AM   #75
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You are dodging again. Answer the bloody question!
I already did in post 34.
Old 4th January 2020, 06:29 AM   #76
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

I already did in post 34.
Refuted in posts 35, 36, 40, 43 and more. Answer the question.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:16 AM   #77
Thermal
Philosopher

Not defending the OP, but teaching the belief in a god that is consistent with the contemporary culture's belief should be taken as a given, commonly the Abrahamic god. Invoking Aztec deities smacks of strawmanning.

It's not a bad idea to encourage belief in god to children, much as telling them about Santa is not lying and malicious. These are kids, not doctoral candidates. Like Santa, they will come to conclusions in their own time, and along the way perhaps come to understand metaphors and altruism, before they can intellectually grasp the words or concepts. Mom wasn't lying about a magical Santa, she was encouraging wonder at the unseen, and the revering of goodness and giving and all that. And when they realize it was their parents all along, they might get that parents didn't want credit and reciprocity, just encouraged the innocent joy and awe.

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 07:18 AM   #78
Belz...
Fiend God

The therapist in the below cited article believes that if you don't believe in God or heaven you should lie to your kids (about God) to promote better mental health.
He might be right. Most humans seem to have an emotional need for supernatural beliefs.

That's why my children will worship the Outer Gods and the Great Old Ones.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 07:22 AM   #79
Belz...
Fiend God

Deleted.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 07:23 AM   #80
catsmate
No longer the 1

When the truth started getting in their way, i.e. a soon as there was money to be made, power to be grabbed and a hierarchy to be protected.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy