ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Should Harry and Meghan abdicate?
Yes, stripped of titles including HRH and public funding/protection 9 25.71%
Yes but keeping titles incl HRH, public funding, protection and Frogmore Cottage 2 5.71%
No, Harry cannot give up his British citizenship and Archie belongs to the Queen 3 8.57%
Who? 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th January 2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Should Prince Harry and Meghan Markle abdicate?

So now the British Royal Family has been 'rocked to its very foundations', according to the DAILY HORROR MAIL, using one of PRIVATE EYE's stock phrases, usually in relation to Ron Pevsner of Neasden FC.

Meghan has fled to 'North America' to be with Archie and Harry is to face the music with his grandmother, the Queen, father Prince Charles and big brother, William.

Quote:
The Queen has summoned senior royals to Sandringham on Monday for face-to-face talks to discuss the future roles of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Palace officials told the BBC that Prince Harry, the Duke of Cambridge and the Prince of Wales would all attend, while Meghan is expected join the discussion over the phone from Canada.

The Sussexes say they plan to step back as senior members of the Royal Family.

There is no suggestion a conclusion will be reached at the meeting.

But BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said it is hoped that the talks will produce a "next step" on the way to defining the couple's new relationship with the Royal Family - in line with the Queen's wish to find a solution within days.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51077816

So what do you think? 'Princess Pushy' and nice-but-dim Harry or badly done-by Meghan and her gallant husband?

Is the UK a disgustlngly racist country or has it been stretched to the end of its tether?
Old 12th January 2020, 07:23 PM   #2
Thermal
Philosopher

I think they are involved in Satanism.

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:24 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Nearly did a thread on this as I was surprised there wasn't one.

Good luck to them.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:30 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't think they can "abdicate". Don't you have to be on the throne or at least offered one before you can renounce it? By my count there are at least six people between Harry and the throne right now.
Old 12th January 2020, 07:34 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

1. This is nearly impossible for me as an American to wrap my head around. What's he giving up the symbolically nothing nothingness of a title and a powerless throne he's the sixth (and 3 of those people have a combined age of "potty trained") in line for?

2. My official answer is what ever pisses anyone even the least bit perturbed that a member of the precious "Royalty" married a dirty cross-breed American commoner the most.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th January 2020 at 07:48 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:37 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. This is nearly impossible for me as an American to wrap my head around. What's he giving up the symbolically nothing nothingness of a title and a powerless throne he's the sixth in line for?
Well, he didn't ask to be born into the job. His mother died because of overeager paparazzi, and now his wife is being subjected the same treatment. He may just want to live a peaceful, regular life. Can anyone blame him?
Old 12th January 2020, 07:42 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, he didn't ask to be born into the job. His mother died because of overeager paparazzi, and now his wife is being subjected the same treatment. He may just want to live a peaceful, regular life. Can anyone blame him?
No that's exactly my point. What positive does he being "Royalty" give this guy? Again it's not like he can get bored and call the banners to invade France like Princes could do in the old days.

It seems like the only thing he has to lose is other people's emotional attachment to their idea of his royalty. I say go for it and I wish him luck.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th January 2020 at 07:45 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

They should do whatever they want. I think they're going to find pretty quickly that not being rich and royal is much less fun than it seems.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:49 PM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
They should do whatever they want. I think they're going to find pretty quickly that not being rich and royal is much less fun than it seems.
I doubt they'll stop being rich. The family owns a lot of property and has investments privately belonging to them, not the crown. Unless Granny and Dad really want to set out to punish him Harry's still set for life financially.
Old 12th January 2020, 07:54 PM   #10
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

He is a cheeky sponging bastard. His mother couldn't keep her knickers on and he deserves a title and a dip into the civil list as much as his dad (James Hewitt) does. None!
Two kids taking the piss, both from dysfunctional families and both on the make. Begone the pair of you, your lack of decorum is better suited to a life in North America.
And how about giving back that £2m we wasted on your silly charade of a wedding, which will probably be over in 4-5 years, if your mother's record is anything to go by.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:55 PM   #11
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I love all this royal title stuff, and ceremonies and whatnot. I think it's cool.

But these are actual people, and it's really weird to have people be born to be something, when that something is just some sort of tabloid fodder. Far be it from me, a yankee, to tell Brits what to do, but this really is all a bit silly.

I've occasionally wondered if somehow they could create a non-hereditary monarchy. Have this figurehead that gets to symbolize the nation, and lots of excuses for pomp and ceremony, but isn't stuck with this for life. And you don't have the spectacle of a guy like Charles marrying because he thinks he's supposed to, and waiting for his mother to die so he can do the job he was born for, except he is already an old man when he starts.

So, have a king or queen that didn't get their job by birth. Maybe have a term limit at 10 or 15 years for a king or queen. Plus, coronations seem like a lot of fun. Why should we have to wait for someone to die to have one? They could choose the next Queen by.....aye there's the rub.....how would you decide how they are chosen?

Oh, well. I hope it all works out for them. Just a couple of years ago, or however long it was, everyone was talking about how nice Harry and Meghan's wedding was. Now, I can only assume that the Brits are none too fond of Meghan. What is it with the Windsor family and divorced American women?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 08:01 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

1. This is nearly impossible for me as an American to wrap my head around. What's he giving up the symbolically nothing nothingness of a title and a powerless throne he's the sixth (and 3 of those people have a combined age of "potty trained") in line for?

2. My official answer is what ever pisses anyone even the least bit perturbed that a member of the precious "Royalty" married a dirty cross-breed American commoner the most.
How it works is they get certain funding in exchange for performing certain duties. Charities...events etc

Tbf the bloke would be into his charities either way and he has as much chance of becoming king now as me or your next door neighbour so if he is sick of his missus getting crap from the British press fair play to him.

The dude is worth about 40 million pounds so they are hardly going to starve.

Think the next thing that will happen is UK people moaning he and his kid still need tax funded royal protection security, but these people are idiots
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 08:05 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Think the next thing that will happen is UK people moaning he and his kid still need tax funded royal protection security, but these people are idiots
Yeah the "Let me show you the math on how much the Royal Family brings in (from land deals and tourism) versus how much it costs to upkeep and maintain them" is just one of those discussion we have to pretend we've never had before everytime the topic comes up.

He's a human being, not a real life dress up doll who's entire life is doomed to be a stuck in perpetual Disney Prince cosplay for the enjoyment of the masses. He doesn't owe a specific lifestyle to anyone.
Old 12th January 2020, 08:06 PM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
He is a cheeky sponging bastard. His mother couldn't keep her knickers on and he deserves a title and a dip into the civil list as much as his dad (James Hewitt) does. None!
Two kids taking the piss, both from dysfunctional families and both on the make. Begone the pair of you, your lack of decorum is better suited to a life in North America.
And how about giving back that £2m we wasted on your silly charade of a wedding, which will probably be over in 4-5 years, if your mother's record is anything to go by.
UK people tend to get a bit hand wringy over these things.

You will now see lots of posts like the above.

Funniest bit is the poster says 2 million pounds on the wedding when it was 20 just on the security

Old 12th January 2020, 08:25 PM   #15
xjx388
Philosopher

Do you think the British people will ever tire of this royal nonsense? Or is the expense seen as more to fund a real life soap opera?

I mean I get it, the monarchy is part of the fabric of the country. But jeez Louise...at some point I’d think people would grow tired of paying for their BS.

But that’s just me, a Yank with no sense of ... of...British stuff.
Old 12th January 2020, 08:28 PM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah the "Let me show you the math on how much the Royal Family brings in (from land deals and tourism) versus how much it costs to upkeep and maintain them" is just one of those discussion we have to pretend we've never had before everytime the topic comes up.
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Do you think the British people will ever tire of this royal nonsense? Or is the expense seen as more to fund a real life soap opera?

I mean I get it, the monarchy is part of the fabric of the country. But jeez Louise...at some point I’d think people would grow tired of paying for their BS.

So that's a yes, it will be one of those discussions we have to pretend we've never had before everytime he topic comes up. Good to know.
Old 12th January 2020, 08:32 PM   #17
xjx388
Philosopher

So that's a yes, it will be one of those discussions we have to pretend we've never had before everytime he topic comes up. Good to know.
I don’t really know what your referring to. I’ve never really participated in a discussion about the Royals. But this whole “Harry and Megan want to quit, sort of,” was interesting to me so I popped in.
Old 12th January 2020, 08:33 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Probably one day when the queen dies.

But at the moment they still bring in more in tourism than cost.

The other thing is diplomatic influence. You just have to watch the orange idiot looking like a 5 year old meeting her to realise how much influence on international relations she has for the UK

Old 12th January 2020, 08:35 PM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don’t really know what your referring to. I’ve never really participated in a discussion about the Royals. But this whole “Harry and Megan want to quit, sort of,” was interesting to me so I popped in.
Long story short the public doesn't "pay for the Royals."

Due to a long standing tradition on the Royal Family not charging for public use of their vast land holdings and the tourism brought in, the Royal Family makes Great Britain money, not cost them.
Old 12th January 2020, 08:44 PM   #20
DragonLady
Illuminator

I tried to vote "Who?" and accidentally voted "no".

Truth is, I think they should do what will make them happy, to whatever extent they can without limiting their son's choices later in his life.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 08:45 PM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Long story short the public doesn't "pay for the Royals."

Due to a long standing tradition on the Royal Family not charging for public use of their vast land holdings and the tourism brought in, the Royal Family makes Great Britain money, not cost them.
Last year they cost just over 70 million pounds but agree they make more than cost

Old 12th January 2020, 08:51 PM   #22
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think they should both take up professional wrestling.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 09:02 PM   #23
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Last year they cost just over 70 million pounds but agree they make more than cost
The Royals receiving payments from parliament came about when George III ran up significant debts which the income from his lands didn't cover. He offered parliament a deal - they clear his debts and pay him a generous wage, and in return they could have the income from the lands. Thinking it would pay off in the long term, Parliament agreed.

Note - Parliament would not own the lands, merely manage them and receive the income from them. So if the public ever decides to "stop paying" the Royal family, then by the terms of the deal the income from the land reverts to them since they own it.

Last estimate I heard was that at the time when the outlay for the Royals was £40 million, the income from those lands was £200 million a year. So any idea that the Royal Family cost us money, are parasites, etc, are just uninformed.
Old 12th January 2020, 09:11 PM   #24
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
The Royals receiving payments from parliament came about when George III ran up significant debts which the income from his lands didn't cover. He offered parliament a deal - they clear his debts and pay him a generous wage, and in return they could have the income from the lands. Thinking it would pay off in the long term, Parliament agreed.

Note - Parliament would not own the lands, merely manage them and receive the income from them. So if the public ever decides to "stop paying" the Royal family, then by the terms of the deal the income from the land reverts to them since they own it.

Last estimate I heard was that at the time when the outlay for the Royals was £40 million, the income from those lands was £200 million a year. So any idea that the Royal Family cost us money, are parasites, etc, are just uninformed.
Really can't be bothered getting into an argument over something we actually agree on.

What I know is the Royals cost just over 70 million last year but brought in more.

BTW

The queen doesn't own Buckingham or a lot of her other castles.

Think she owns Sandringham but might be wrong.

The govt does

Old 12th January 2020, 09:15 PM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apologies

Just bothered googling.

Just under 70.

67 million

Old 12th January 2020, 09:38 PM   #26
Cain
Straussian

It's difficult to respect countries that have a monarchy (even if it's only ceremonial). King of Sweden, Queen of England, who cares? Abolish them all and find something else to gossip over.

My brother was just saying that people are complaining about how "woke" Harry now is. He should go back to his playboy lifestyle of bangin' broads, gettin' drunk, and dressin' up as a Nazi. Y'know, havin' fun with his "mates." Stupid.
Old 12th January 2020, 09:46 PM   #27
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It's difficult to respect countries that have a monarchy (even if it's only ceremonial). King of Sweden, Queen of England, who cares? Abolish them all and find something else to gossip over.

My brother was just saying that people are complaining about how "woke" Harry now is. He should go back to his playboy lifestyle of bangin' broads, gettin' drunk, and dressin' up as a Nazi. Y'know, havin' fun with his "mates." Stupid.
Why do you think a happily married man who cares deeply for his wife and son should go “back” to that lifestyle?
Old 12th January 2020, 09:48 PM   #28
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I think they should both take up professional wrestling.
Who would you like to see them wrestle?
Old 12th January 2020, 09:55 PM   #29
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

His mother couldn't keep her knickers on and he deserves a title and a dip into the civil list as much as his dad (James Hewitt) does.
You do of realise that unless some major form of time travel occurred that you are spouting nonsense. It's been pretty well established that Diana didn't have her affair with Hewitt until Charles was back with Camilla, which all occurred in 1986, two years after Harry was born. It would seem that it was combination of Harry being another boy (Charles apparently really wanted a daughter) and Diana's post natal depression that were a catalyst to the falling a part of the marriage and the whole affairs thing.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 12th January 2020 at 09:56 PM.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 09:56 PM   #30
Steve
Philosopher

So, he’s a typical Brit then. You must be really, really old to refer to them as kids. Your odd views on North America are noted. I bet Wales is a paradise by comparison.

Oh yeah, if your mother kept her knickers on you wouldn’t be here either.
Old 12th January 2020, 09:59 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

A recent episode of The Pod Delusion podcast had a segment on how to abolish the monarchy. Turns out it's pretty complicated. The Queen apparently still holds a fair bit of authority and responsibility in the machinery of government, which will have to be devolved to someone else. It was an interesting bit.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 10:16 PM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
A recent episode of The Pod Delusion podcast had a segment on how to abolish the monarchy. Turns out it's pretty complicated. The Queen apparently still holds a fair bit of authority and responsibility in the machinery of government, which will have to be devolved to someone else. It was an interesting bit.
I think that a bit like Brexit, people haven't thought through the full implications of abolishing the monarchy. They think that they can just strip them of their lands and keep hold of the Royal Estates, and then somehow create a mythological crown/president position that won't need any security, won't be paid, won't need a residence, or any of the other things that they think that they are paying for the Queen.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 10:17 PM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Of course they should.
Since the Revolutionary War, you can't be King and Queen of the UK and the US simultaneously.
Old 12th January 2020, 10:24 PM   #34
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Of course they should.
Since the Revolutionary War, you can't be King and Queen of the UK and the US simultaneously.
Doesn't the US already have a King at the moment?

Old 12th January 2020, 10:31 PM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Kick them out of the palaces and move them to a trailer park. That's where our inbred people live.
Old 12th January 2020, 11:02 PM   #36
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Kick them out of the palaces and move them to a trailer park. That's where our inbred people live.
Edgey

Meanwhile, back in the real world.....

Old 12th January 2020, 11:05 PM   #37
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The Evil Queen Mum must be stopped!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 11:07 PM   #38
Elagabalus
Philosopher

How dare you!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 11:46 PM   #39
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Why do you think a happily married man who cares deeply for his wife and son should go “back” to that lifestyle?
I don't.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:06 AM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
He will remain rich no matter what he does, he has inherited wealth.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events