ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:05 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Conservative 'Moms' group slams Burger King for using 'the d-word' in a commercial

CNN - "Activist conservative group One Million Moms is taking aim at Burger King for using what it calls the "d-word" in a commercial promoting the non-meat Impossible Whopper.

In the ad, a group of people taste-test the plant-based patty that has been a hit for the fast-food company. With a mouthful of food, one man says, 'Damn, that's good.'"

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/12/us/on...ing/index.html

Point 1. These people are stupid.

Point 2. "People on the internet are freaking out about something" is not front page news.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th January 2020 at 10:11 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:08 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

When I heard "d word" I assumed it would be "dick" and wondered how on earth it would be used in a BK ad.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
When I heard "d word" I assumed it would be "dick" and wondered how on earth it would be used in a BK ad.
Whopper rebranding.

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:18 AM   #4
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I was going to ask this in the vegan thread, has anyone tried the impossible whopper? Is it as good as they say?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:19 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Whopper rebranding.
Now I'm brainstorming ideas for a BK ad campaign. "Size queens love Burger King because we've got the most meat." And so forth.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:21 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's an impressive amount of disdain and dismissiveness to work into a single thread title.

Also, I'm pretty sure the time has not yet come for "damn" to enter the main stream of commercial speech.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:23 AM   #7
rockysmith76
Suspended

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's an impressive amount of disdain and dismissiveness to work into a single thread title.

Also, I'm pretty sure the time has not yet come for "damn" to enter the main stream of commercial speech.
there are greater crisis in the world however, these twits have too much free time
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:23 AM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Doe those "c-word" types realize that the English origin of "damn" is from the German word "Dammen", meaning women?

I thought the D would have been for "dumb", and the SJWs are complaining about it being pejorative of the low IQ of themselves.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:25 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Remember when they couldn't say "ass" on television? Now they can not only say it but show it! Much has been gained in the march of progress.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:27 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I used, verbatim, the title of the news article I linked to. I always do this when I use a single article as a primary source.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:29 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I was going to ask this in the vegan thread, has anyone tried the impossible whopper? Is it as good as they say?
I think so. I had the one at Red Robin (same company, Impossible, making the patty) and that's a little more generic sit down casual dining then fast food, but yeah I found it functionally indistinguishable from a normal generic beef patty.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:32 AM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they've got a new menu item.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Watch to the end, I promise it's worth it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:35 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
there are greater crisis in the world however, these twits have too much free time
Thanks, it's been a while since I've seen an actual example of whataboutism, rather than an attempt to deflect legitimate claims of special pleading under that aegis.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:41 AM   #14
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Oh Noes! Will the Republic survive?

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus

Last edited by BStrong; 13th January 2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: idiot typing
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:42 AM   #15
Myriad
Hyperthetical

They must be looking for new targets after having finally wrapped up their successful campaign to eliminate the interjection "zounds!" (which after all is a shortened form of the blasphemous oath "by God's wounds!") from common usage.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:43 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Doe those "c-word" types realize that the English origin of "damn" is from the German word "Dammen", meaning women?

I thought the D would have been for "dumb", and the SJWs are complaining about it being pejorative of the low IQ of themselves.
No smiley... Is this a Poe?

"Damn" actually comes from old French, which got it from Latin, where it's a word for "damage" or "loss". Related words from the same origin include "indemnify" and "condemn".

"Dammen" in German comes from Latin "domina", which probably comes from "domus" or possibly from earlier words with connotations of "tame".

I hope you're making a joke, because white-knighting the word "damn" based on spurious etymology and lowkey misogyny seems like an even stupider hill to die on than the original complaint.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:45 AM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I used, verbatim, the title of the news article I linked to. I always do this when I use a single article as a primary source.
Noted. Let the record show that CNN has packed an impressive amount of disdain and dismissal into their headline.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:52 AM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I thought the d word was going to be divorce.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:56 AM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Who even eats at Burger King? I know they are more common than McDonald's but I don't know anyone who ever eats at one except when travelling and there's literally nowhere else.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:06 AM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Who even eats at Burger King? I know they are more common than McDonald's but I don't know anyone who ever eats at one except when travelling and there's literally nowhere else.
Of the big 3 burger fast food joints (McDonalds/Wendys/Burger King) their burgers are by far the best.

I mean they are fast food so "They are what you eat when you don't feel like putting mental effort into deciding what to eat" is there, but of the 3 they are the one I gravitate to the most.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:06 AM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So the word is damn. That's awesome. They broke a barrier. I'm thinking now to take a Whopper to eat inside a Hobby Lobby but they don't allow food in the store. Damn!
Old 13th January 2020, 11:09 AM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Of the big 3 burger fast food joints (McDonalds/Wendys/Burger King) their burgers are by far the best.

I mean they are fast food so "They are what you eat when you don't feel like putting mental effort into deciding what to eat" is there, but of the 3 they are the one I gravitate to the most.
Ah. I see now. The answer is "the riffraff". *flutters silk handkerchief embroidered with seed pearls* Do enjoy these "burger sandwiches" of yours, be certain to wash what fingers you have left to you before you return to your tractor machine!
Old 13th January 2020, 11:18 AM   #23
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Agreed. Unfortunately, their chicken (in any form they offer) is by far the worst, so I haven't been to one in years.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:24 AM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They now have tater tots with cheese inside which might turn out to be the greatest food on earth.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:25 AM   #25
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I do not like the Impossible burger. It has a weird taste. Beyond Burgers are much better IMO.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:26 AM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If anything McDonalds is the one I eat at by my own choosing (vice just "finding myself there because it's available") the least.

Mainly because it has the crappiest dollar menu. Prices for fast food have gone up a lot and when I start getting close to or breaking the 10 dollar mark for a basic combo I start figuring I might as well look for an actual restaurant, not a fast food joint (murky though that distinction is these days) but Wendy's, Burger King, and Hardees (which I totally forget about until just now) have 4 and 5 dollar meal deals.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:27 AM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Let's see, here are some related headlines:

CNN misses the story: Miami Herald, 2012: The (Not Really) One Million Moms.
Quote:
"One Million" Moms actually has only 44,113 followers on Facebook. ("They're rounding to the nearest million and I get that," Ellen said on her show last week)

One Million Moms has a long history of anti-gay preaching. The article is a crack-up.
Quote:
I am concerned about the future of our country, not just because these moms are raising their kids in an atmosphere of intolerance, but because they're also probably helping their children with their math homework.
Then there is this elephant: CNN afraid to use the word Damn after intimidation by an astro-turf group on FaceBook.
Quote:
If you're going to call yourselves One Million Moms and summon the collective power of baby-making women, at least do it for something worthwhile, like lowering the unemployment rate or finding a cure for cancer or feeding Macaulay Culkin.

Instead, the organization One Million Moms is lobbying JCPenney to fire its new spokesperson, squeaky-clean-lesbian-talk-show-host Ellen DeGeneres, because she "is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store."

An online project of the "conservative, pro-family" American Family Association, One Million Moms has urged members to call their local JCPenney stores to complain.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:37 AM   #28
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, I thought that Trump had already broken the barrier for the use of “damn” (as well as a bunch of even worse words) in public media. But if “Million Moms” is trying to walk him back too...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:54 AM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If anything McDonalds is the one I eat at by my own choosing (vice just "finding myself there because it's available") the least.

Mainly because it has the crappiest dollar menu. Prices for fast food have gone up a lot and when I start getting close to or breaking the 10 dollar mark for a basic combo I start figuring I might as well look for an actual restaurant, not a fast food joint (murky though that distinction is these days) but Wendy's, Burger King, and Hardees (which I totally forget about until just now) have 4 and 5 dollar meal deals.
Without wanting to come across as some sort of food pretentious idiot (I have takeaways) McDonalds is ****.

I have had it once and is basically factory assembly line.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:57 AM   #30
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Agreed. BK is my "I accept that I have to go to the in-laws but if I'm driving four hours I'm at least going to have one treat" guilty pleasure.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:03 PM   #31
plague311
Great minds think...

Wasn't one million mom's recently in the news for something about Hallmark too? Say what you will, they're definitely a voice that seems to be getting heard. I don't know if that's a good thing since hearing them generally makes me think they're ******* stupid.

The use of the word "damn" is about as shrug worthy as it gets. I swear all of the time, so I'm not impartial by any means. That being said, I live in extremely conservative North Dakota, and there is perpetual swearing in my office. I didn't even know most conservatives gave a ****, but that's entirely based on my anecdotal experiences.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:05 PM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Agreed. BK is my "I accept that I have to go to the in-laws but if I'm driving four hours I'm at least going to have one treat" guilty pleasure.
Mine is Taco Bell, most people say it gives them the poos but I've never had that problem. I get the 3 softshell supreme tacos, and a diet Mountain Dew, and I can't be happier.

Though, a solid 80%+ of the time they forget to put the sour creme and tomatoes on. It's actually happened so frequently here in town that I've stopped calling to inform them of their failure. I never want anything free, but they generally thank me and do the same **** the next time.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:08 PM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Though, a solid 80%+ of the time they forget to put the sour creme and tomatoes on. It's actually happened so frequently here in town that I've stopped calling to inform them of their failure. I never want anything free, but they generally thank me and do the same **** the next time.
You must live in some alternative mirror dimension from me.

My wife hates tomatoes and doesn't like the kind of sour cream they use at Taco Bell so always asks them to take it off and they do it at about a 50/50 success rate.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:10 PM   #34
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Mine is Taco Bell, most people say it gives them the poos but I've never had that problem.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:17 PM   #35
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If I have to eat fast food I prefer the smaller chains.

Locally we have Whataburger. Sonic has a regional feel, but I think they are pretty well nationwide by now. Dairy Queen in Texas has a different menu from the rest of Dairy Queen, and they are typically only in small towns.

I used to love In-n-Out when I visited California, but now that we have them locally I rarely eat there.

Blakes Lotaburger in New Mexico is a solid local bite.

There seem to be more regional chicken places nowadays, too. But I'm not a huge chicken fan for fast food.

The last time I ate a BK I was waiting to get my license renewed and it was the closest food. It was decent. The last time I ate at MCDonalds I was waiting for some work on my car and it was the only food within walking distance. I just had an ice cream cone, but even that was disappointing.

All that being said, I stopped at Whataburger on Saturday while driving a bit and even though I am a huge fan, I was a bit upset when I saw that there was a Rudy's BBQ at the next exit up. My own fault.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:18 PM   #36
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Hahaaha! John Cotton would be so proud.

At least I can be assured you'll never sully our shores.

We have mainstream, children's time TV adverts that have used the following:

"There ain't half been some clever bastards" under licence from Ian Dury's music copyright holders.
The most-popular ever advert for Toyota, in which a variety of people and one dog clearly state "Bugger!".
Some dickhead Aussies asking "Where the bloody hell are you?"

Also a pizza chain called Hell that features Satanic images and a pentagram.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:20 PM   #37
Armitage72
Illuminator

Wasn't one million mom's recently in the news for something about Hallmark too? Say what you will, they're definitely a voice that seems to be getting heard. I don't know if that's a good thing since hearing them generally makes me think they're ******* stupid.

Hallmark Channel. The network ran a Zola commercial that showed a lesbian couple getting married, (Not a) Million Moms complained, Hallmark Channel pulled the commercial, a much larger number of people immediately complained about the removal, and they reinstated the commercial a day later.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:23 PM   #38
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

No smiley... Is this a Poe?

"Damn" actually comes from old French, which got it from Latin, where it's a word for "damage" or "loss". Related words from the same origin include "indemnify" and "condemn".

"Dammen" in German comes from Latin "domina", which probably comes from "domus" or possibly from earlier words with connotations of "tame".

I hope you're making a joke, because white-knighting the word "damn" based on spurious etymology and lowkey misogyny seems like an even stupider hill to die on than the original complaint.
Beat me to the pedantry. There's something about spurious eytmologies that just pushes my buttons.

Damen, is probably cognate with the English Dame from the latin Domina which is probably of Dominus, or Master.

Also, this is another, "some idiot on the internet is offended by something that nobody cares about so lets pretends its a story to get clicks." brand of journalism.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:23 PM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Now I'm imaging One Million Moms as some sort of Lovecraftian colonial organism, like One Million Ants from Rick and Morty.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:25 PM   #40
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

I thought they had somehow worked the word "Democrat" into a commercial.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events