ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:27 PM   #41
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Hallmark Channel. The network ran a Zola commercial that showed a lesbian couple getting married, (Not a) Million Moms complained, Hallmark Channel pulled the commercial, a much larger number of people immediately complained about the removal, and they reinstated the commercial a day later.
All of which was just an engineered distraction to draw attention away from Aunt Becky's criming! Oh, that lady does love doing crimes! She cannot help herself! She puts on her crime hat and drives her crime car right to crime town!
Old 13th January 2020, 12:31 PM   #42
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I was going to ask this in the vegan thread, has anyone tried the impossible whopper? Is it as good as they say?
Yes it does, but it's also twice the price of a conventional meat based WhopperTM.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:32 PM   #43
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Ah. I see now. The answer is "the riffraff". *flutters silk handkerchief embroidered with seed pearls* Do enjoy these "burger sandwiches" of yours, be certain to wash what fingers you have left to you before you return to your tractor machine!
You, sir, are a Cad and a Bounder! I find Burger King burgers to be rather tasty. And I will have you know that I am no riffraff! If I had a glove with which to slap, you would regret using that word. However, as a reasonable man, I am prepared to accept your apology without further repercussion.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:35 PM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You, sir, are a Cad and a Bounder! I find Burger King burgers to be rather tasty. And I will have you know that I am no riffraff! If I had a glove with which to slap, you would regret using that word. However, as a reasonable man, I am prepared to accept your apology without further repercussion.
I can't hear you over the roar of flavor attained only at Raising Cane's chicken finger restaurants, the only fast food worth eating!
Old 13th January 2020, 12:39 PM   #45
Steve
Philosopher

I can't hear you over the roar of flavor attained only at Raising Cane's chicken finger restaurants, the only fast food worth eating!
Chickens do NOT have fingers!
Old 13th January 2020, 12:40 PM   #46
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Chickens do NOT have fingers!
Then how come they can flip you the bird? Answer me that, with all your science and learning, professor!
Old 13th January 2020, 12:41 PM   #47
ahhell
Master Poster

Perfectly fine chicken fingers but nothing special. The In-n-out of chicken.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:41 PM   #48
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I do not like the Impossible burger. It has a weird taste. Beyond Burgers are much better IMO.
Thanks, I''ll check it out.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:41 PM   #49
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Funny, round here BK was forever tarred by the horsemeat scandal.

Home of the whopper acquired an unintended extra meaning.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:41 PM   #50
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You must live in some alternative mirror dimension from me.

My wife hates tomatoes and doesn't like the kind of sour cream they use at Taco Bell so always asks them to take it off and they do it at about a 50/50 success rate.
At least they're fairly terrible nationwide then. Consistency is nice.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
For those that don't want to watch the link, the best part of the whole episode:

Quote:
Stan: Why would you keep eating something that made you crap blood?

Cartman: Dude have you ever eaten Chipotle, it's really good
Which I vehemently disagree with as I don't find it all that tasty. That is one hilarious episode though.

Hallmark Channel. The network ran a Zola commercial that showed a lesbian couple getting married, (Not a) Million Moms complained, Hallmark Channel pulled the commercial, a much larger number of people immediately complained about the removal, and they reinstated the commercial a day later.
I knew it was something ridiculously petty, thank you.

I think whining about the word damn is even more pathetic than crying about a commercial that had a LGBTQ marriage. I'm perpetually shocked at the significant amount of butthurt that goes on sometimes.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:45 PM   #51
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Mine is Taco Bell, most people say it gives them the poos but I've never had that problem. I get the 3 softshell supreme tacos, and a diet Mountain Dew, and I can't be happier.

Though, a solid 80%+ of the time they forget to put the sour creme and tomatoes on. It's actually happened so frequently here in town that I've stopped calling to inform them of their failure. I never want anything free, but they generally thank me and do the same **** the next time.
During their unsuccessful attempt to expand into the UK there was a Taco Bell in Uxbridge (after which it was a Wendy's that also failed in the UK) which I frequented. I liked it, cheap, filling, a bit different (in the UK anyway, we don't have much Tex Mex unfortunately).

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:56 PM   #52
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
During their unsuccessful attempt to expand into the UK there was a Taco Bell in Uxbridge (after which it was a Wendy's that also failed in the UK) which I frequented. I liked it, cheap, filling, a bit different (in the UK anyway, we don't have much Tex Mex unfortunately).
Their softshell tacos are what I like the most because they don't try to do too much with it.

Shell, meat, cheese, lettuce. That's it. Then I have the sour cream and tomatoes added, but even their basic softshell is great. There aren't many other things I get.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:58 PM   #53
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
If I have to eat fast food I prefer the smaller chains.

Locally we have Whataburger. Sonic has a regional feel, but I think they are pretty well nationwide by now. Dairy Queen in Texas has a different menu from the rest of Dairy Queen, and they are typically only in small towns.

I used to love In-n-Out when I visited California, but now that we have them locally I rarely eat there.

Blakes Lotaburger in New Mexico is a solid local bite.

There seem to be more regional chicken places nowadays, too. But I'm not a huge chicken fan for fast food.

The last time I ate a BK I was waiting to get my license renewed and it was the closest food. It was decent. The last time I ate at MCDonalds I was waiting for some work on my car and it was the only food within walking distance. I just had an ice cream cone, but even that was disappointing.

All that being said, I stopped at Whataburger on Saturday while driving a bit and even though I am a huge fan, I was a bit upset when I saw that there was a Rudy's BBQ at the next exit up. My own fault.
TBH: I wasn't thinking outside of chains mentioned. Local places are good, but it helps if you're, well local, to know which are good. In the UK a lot of the local places are single locations, which can be good, but most often have really, noticably, cheap burgers, frozen fries, premade chicken etc. To be fair I use our local place like that, from time to time. Sometimes you fancy crap!

We have a kebab 'van' near us (in Thame for anyone nearby). It's actually a double length trailer, five star hygiene rating from the local council, modern, purpose designed, looks like a mobile crime lab! Superb food, fresh salad, good quality lamb and chicken. We don't eat from it a lot, it's a treat we really look forward to and savor.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:10 PM   #54
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Shell, meat, cheese, lettuce. That's it. Then I have the sour cream and tomatoes added, but even their basic softshell is great. There aren't many other things I get.
For some reason I have the mutant ability to always be behind someone at a Taco Bell line who needs the entire menu explained to them. And it's always some middle aged or older woman. "What's a... Gordita? What's in a Chulupa? Does the Nachos Bel Grande have this? Does the this come with that? Does that come with this?"

I always want to just grab them and go "Lady... it's a Taco Bell. They have 5 ingredients back there. Just keeping handing them money and saying random Mexican words until they hand you some combination of meat, tortilla, cheese, beans, and lettuce. It's not hard. There's no Beef Wellington Bel Grande or Doritos Locos Sushi."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:13 PM   #55
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

For some reason I have the mutant ability to always be behind someone at a Taco Bell line who needs the entire menu explained to them. And it's always some middle aged or older woman. "What's a... Gordita? What's in a Chulupa? Does the Nachos Bel Grande have this? Does the this come with that? Does that come with this?"

I always want to just grab them and go "Lady... it's a Taco Bell. They have 5 ingredients back there. Just keeping handing them money and saying random Mexican words until they hand you some combination of meat, tortilla, cheese, beans, and lettuce. It's not hard. There's no Beef Wellington Bel Grande or Doritos Locos Sushi."
In a better world, I would pay you competitive wages and generous benefits to accompany me everywhere and lay down the harsh-yet-comical judgements on all the idiots that surround me in my daily life.

I would totally bring back the career of Jester, as someone who follows you around and cracks wise at the plebs that get underfoot (and at you, when you need it).
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:14 PM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In a better world, I would pay you competitive wages and generous benefits to accompany me everywhere and lay down the harsh-yet-comical judgements on all the idiots that surround me in my daily life.

I would totally bring back the career of Jester, as someone who follows you around and cracks wise at the plebs that get underfoot (and at you, when you need it).
I like George Carlin's take on that.

"This job used to be called fool. I've always wanted to put that down on my tax returns; Occupation: Foole. Probably spell it with that extra E just to class it up."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th January 2020 at 01:17 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:18 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Suddenly I envy those hip-hop artists who have a Hype Man.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:20 PM   #58
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Suddenly I envy those hip-hop artists who have a Hype Man.
When I either hit the lottery or take over in my bloody coup, I'm hiring Paul Heyman.
Old 13th January 2020, 01:22 PM   #59
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Now I'm brainstorming ideas for a BK ad campaign. "Size queens love Burger King because we've got the most meat." And so forth.
Seems like a better campaign for Five Guys.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:29 PM   #60
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Funny, round here BK was forever tarred by the horsemeat scandal.
I don't go to BK because they don't serve horses.
Old 13th January 2020, 01:31 PM   #61
Armitage72
Illuminator

I knew it was something ridiculously petty, thank you.

I think whining about the word damn is even more pathetic than crying about a commercial that had a LGBTQ marriage. I'm perpetually shocked at the significant amount of butthurt that goes on sometimes.

If I had any plans to get married in the foreseeable future, I'd be tempted to use Zola for wedding planning and gift registry just for spite. When a similar the exact same group complained about a Honey Maid commercial showing a same sex couple enjoying graham crackers with their child, I bought a box for the first time in years.

Last edited by Armitage72; 13th January 2020 at 01:33 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:35 PM   #62
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't go to BK because they don't serve horses.
No love for the Double Dobbin?

In fairness, BK were a victim of that scam as much as anyone else. But it is an uphill climb to get rid of that image. I envy them not.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:37 PM   #63
plague311
Great minds think...

Not to mention, you're going to a place named "taco bell", the **** you think they're going to have there?!

We only have 1 Taco Bell up here, so you and I are in the same boat as it's the only place for Those People to go. I use the app in today's age. Order it, pay for it, give them 15 minutes and go get it. It's not like it's going to taste any worse if it's room temperature. Heat can't take the "taco bell" out of the tacos.

Interesting to know, if you care enough, that none of Taco Bells food is actually cooked on a grill, etc. in the actual restaurants. It all comes in plastic bags (literally everything from chicken to beef, to nacho cheese) and is cooked via pan of boiling water. It's not at all appetizing. I have no idea why I eat there.

Taco Johns actually makes their meat from scratchish. As in, they get raw beef, add to a pan, add seasoning, etc.

Old 13th January 2020, 01:38 PM   #64
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

well bugger, I use damn all the time.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:38 PM   #65
plague311
Great minds think...

If I had any plans to get married in the foreseeable future, I'd be tempted to use Zola for wedding planning and gift registry just for spite. When a similar the exact same group complained about a Honey Maid commercial showing a same sex couple enjoying graham crackers with their child, I bought a box for the first time in years.
My son is getting married in the near future. This might be a really good idea. I should mention it to him considering that I'll more than likely be paying for everything anyway.

Old 13th January 2020, 01:46 PM   #66
Armitage72
Illuminator

Not to mention, you're going to a place named "taco bell", the **** you think they're going to have there?!

It's not better when customers guess. The first job I ever had was at a McDonalds. I remember a customer coming up to the counter, loudly complaining to his friend about the wait - "They call it fast food, but it takes you forever to get waited on", and then he ordered a Whopper. He had to wait even longer as I explained to him that he was at the wrong restaurant if he wanted one.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:01 PM   #67
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That is a world worth fighting for.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 07:40 PM   #68
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It's not better when customers guess. The first job I ever had was at a McDonalds. I remember a customer coming up to the counter, loudly complaining to his friend about the wait - "They call it fast food, but it takes you forever to get waited on", and then he ordered a Whopper. He had to wait even longer as I explained to him that he was at the wrong restaurant if he wanted one.
That's funny. Someone new to the country I presume? I mean, who doesn't know how it works at McDonalds?
Old 13th January 2020, 07:48 PM   #69
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Have they petitioned to have Gone with the Wind banned yet?

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:18 PM   #70
angrysoba
Philosophile

I thought "d-word" might be douchebag, and the phrase in question was "Big Macs taste like Nancy Reagan's douchebag".
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:21 PM   #71
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

Norm
Frankly, my dear . . .

IIRC, "damn" was not among the words that George Carlin said you can't say on TV. Those are the ones that the FCC would fine the broadcaster for, if they were uttered on TV (before 10 pm, iirc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

It probably isn't an exhaustive list.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:39 PM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
How is that relevant?
Old 13th January 2020, 09:22 PM   #73
fromdownunder
Philosopher

How is that relevant?

There is an, apparently, naughty four letter word in it that starts with d...

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:11 PM   #74
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, how is this action by the not-anywhere-near Million Moms defensible in any way? It is not an attempt to restrict public profanity. It is an attempt to impose an anti-blasphemy rule. A stupid one at that.

Why was damn even considered a bad word for polite conversation many decades ago and among a few people today? Does it describe embarrassing bodily functions? No. It is because it refers to God damming people’s souls. However the word was and is widely used in fundamentalist Christian church services. A significant number of fundamentalist preachers even feel it is okay for them to publicly judge and announce who among the non believers are damned.

What the fundamentalists, such as the pitiful number of moms organization, are pissed off about are other people using the word! It is not that it is obscene, it is because they see it as blasphemy for others to employ it, whereas they have that right. It is attempt to impose religious law on the rest of us. In fact the Million Moms positions have consistently been exactly that.

I assume that the posters who have most strongly backed a right to a freedom of speech even beyond that in the constitution are most strongly against this initiative by the <10^6 Mothers. Good.

Last edited by Giordano; 13th January 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:25 PM   #75
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I thinking about the actual pitiful number of Million Moms, I think it is because most moms I know really are full of love. To join and support the Million Moms group you need to be filled by quite the opposite emotion.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:11 AM   #76
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

That's an impressive amount of disdain and dismissiveness to work into a single thread title.

Also, I'm pretty sure the time has not yet come for "damn" to enter the main stream of commercial speech.
Smelling salts for theprestige...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:13 AM   #77
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Hahaaha! John Cotton would be so proud.

At least I can be assured you'll never sully our shores.

We have mainstream, children's time TV adverts that have used the following:

"There ain't half been some clever bastards" under licence from Ian Dury's music copyright holders.
I'm guessing they draw the line at Plaistow Patricia, though?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:33 AM   #78
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Meh, it's so easy to set up a group on Facebook and then claim that you speak for all who fit into your qualifications even if only a tiny percentage buy in. And then issue electronic press releases. And if the media picks it up, you'll likely get a horde of new admirers.

Anybody remember Mark Dice doing the same thing when Starbucks came up with a new logo about 12 years ago?

Quote:
"The Starbucks logo has a naked woman on it with her legs spread like a prostitute," said Mr Dice.

"It’s extremely poor taste, and the company might as well call themselves Slutbucks."
Dice's YouTube channel has about 1.5 million subscribers.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:39 AM   #79
Mumbles
Philosopher

When I heard "d word" I assumed it would be "dick" and wondered how on earth it would be used in a BK ad.
Same.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:23 AM   #80
Wudang
BOFH

IIRC one million moms is a one ****brain woman org. 41k followers on fb?
nixcraft has 280,662 people follow this
Scibabe: 317,577 people follow this
Insufferably Intolerant Science Nerd: 342,000 people follow this

Somehow this "group" got on the media's list of "idiots who will spout crazy **** on air" for attention and so they pop up in the news like the science whores who write articles on the scientifically perfect formula for a cup of tea. Wastes of oxygen.

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th January 2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Rule 10
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events