ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:45 AM   #321
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
ANFO

That exploding rifle target mixture whose name I can't think of right now, one ingredient is alumin(i)um powder.

And it's not all that difficult to make your own black powder.

Only one of these is easily set off, though. Two will need an improvised kicker charge, such as gunpowder, to set them off.
Hydrazine is easy to set off and to synthesize from household chemicals (relatively), but it's never been used in these IEDs as far as I know. Probably because of how toxic, corrosive, and unstable it is, and has to be combined with a nitrogen agent anyway (like another kind of hydrazine and I think ammonia nitrate would work). That makes it not only difficult to handle safely, but only a couple steps from ANFO anyway.

HTP is also easy to set off.

Anyone ever accidentally make 'grinder thermite'? It's where the dust by a grinder or cutting wheel builds up from use and burns. Sweeping up isn't just to keep the shop tidy!
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:51 PM   #322
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Investigators have his list of "future targets" which are residences and they can't find anything linking them to each other. There is no apparent theme or target motive. He's like an equal opportunity serial bomber with no particular hatred or aim other than killing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/2...g-targets.html
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:15 PM   #323
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 23rd March 2018 at 05:16 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:20 PM   #324
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Investigators have his list of "future targets" which are residences and they can't find anything linking them to each other. There is no apparent theme or target motive. He's like an equal opportunity serial bomber with no particular hatred or aim other than killing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/2...g-targets.html
Interesting. Seems like it's been a while since we've had a bona fide old school serial killer.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:24 PM   #325
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Interesting. Seems like it's been a while since we've had a bona fide old school serial killer.
I think that Paddock in Las Vegas was the same. I suspect that Cruz at Parkland is also in that group.
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:31 PM   #326
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I think that Paddock in Las Vegas was the same. I suspect that Cruz at Parkland is also in that group.
Those weren't serial killings.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:39 PM   #327
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You're right, those are spree or mass. There was a serial killer last summer or fall. A young black guy shooting homeless and random people. I forget what area that was. He got caught. Didn't seem to have any outstanding problems and from a good family. He just wanted to kill.
Old 24th March 2018, 03:17 AM   #328
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Lethal Exploding Packages in Austin, Texas

Although I am not a big fan of the surveillance state and its capabilities, it must be noted that serial killers are becoming rare occurrence. And when they occur they kill far less people than they did for instance in the 1970s.

The combination of bank details, cameras, license plate registration , mobile phone data is having a big impact.

Just like serial robbers like Bonnie and Clyde promptly stopped existing after police cars were fitted with radio.

Maybe people who would otherwise have become a serial killer‘s are now becoming mass murderers.
Old 24th March 2018, 03:15 PM   #329
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Maybe people who would otherwise have become a serial killer‘s are now becoming mass murderers.
Perhaps a few of them share a similar mindset, but I think the prevalence of shooters and rampage killings is also unwittingly perpetuated by mass media. But they are important events we cannot ignore. A poster here once suggested that the killers should remain anonymous in news reports, but I think that's a silly solution
I think the first major rampage shooting known countrywide began with Charles Whitman, then some lesser known shootings, then Columbine, then general massacres almost everywhere else as this type of behavior was seen and absorbed by other loners and angry disturbed individuals.

Most serial killers appear to kill for pleasure, sex and violence being apparently closely linked.

Most rampage killers appear to be motivated by some deep seated rage or out of control spite. I mean when I had problems controlling my anger I would pout and pout and sometimes intentionally close doors on people, as a mild case. I was selfish and didn't care how many women I was rude to. I think rampage killing is an extreme version of that, also behavior shared by suicide pilots and in some murder suicides. It's scary because they can seem so normal.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2018, 07:21 AM   #330
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One of his two roommates is now considered a person of interest. I guess he knew about the bombs. No details reported yet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events