ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2020, 10:30 AM   #1
Wudang
BOFH

Flashing android phones.

I wandered off into the bright lights of iPhone for a while and it seems cyanogenmod is dead. I'm leary of buying phones with burned-in vendor crap or worse burned-in vendor malware (my bad, cheap Samsung clone from China).
Anyway advice on what androids are fairly cheap and places to get clean android images from? I rooted a few tablets for my wife's company a few years back and failed to root above chinese clone as it was probably cobbled together from whatever parts failed Samsung QA that day and went to "recycling".
Old 8th January 2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

CyanogenMod is now called LineageOS.

That's all I can add (haven't tried any flashing operations with my ancient Huawei or my recent no-name-but-China-phablet).

I'm having an eye on the development of PinePhone, which if they succeed in their plannings could deliver a completely open-source hardware and software phone with good-enough specs for around $150 in a couple of months. And maybe even with a(n additional) keyboard designed after the awesome Psion 5MX which I once owned and sold at a huge profit to buy my first ThinkPad.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 8th January 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Motorola are normally pretty happy to let you root the phone and used to (I haven't checked in a while) give you all the bits you needed on their website.

If you just buy a phone from them it's the least bloaty of the manufacturers to start with as well
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 05:15 PM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

Ooh pinephone looks sweet! One problem is I need Duo mobile for 2FA for work and I think it’s only apple and android. Thanks. Maybe later.
Old 8th January 2020, 05:16 PM   #5
Wudang
BOFH

Some Samsung’s look nice
Old 8th January 2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There were multiple words in the OP which appeared to be English, yet I understood none of it.
Old 8th January 2020, 07:53 PM   #7
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

I have a Samsung A5 (2017) [SM-A520W, to be precise], and a Tab S2 tablet (8" display, SM-T713). Have LineageOS on both, quite happy with it. Couple of minor hiccups; LOS seems to be unstable from time to time. Conversely, I get the latest security fixes and nearly up-to-date versions (Android 9; 10 isn't available yet)

LineageOS currently seems to support the widest variety of devices. Check the web site, though; also be aware that devices sometimes drop off when Android versions change. For example, the A5 went from Android 7 to 9, as I recall.

The A5 is tricky to root, though; I don't know if recent Samsung models are any easier. Aside from that issue, I'd recommend it as long as you don't want a larger display (it's 5.2"), the display is nice, readable in sunlight, camera is good quality. Pretty good battery life, too.

As mentioned other brands may make rooting trivial. HTC is another brand that makes it easy.

Don't forget, though, that not only does rooting (in theory) void your warranty, the first time you do it you'll reset the device to factory defaults in the process.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet
There were multiple words in the OP which appeared to be English, yet I understood none of it.
Rooting, for Android devices, is the process of removing restrictions in the firmware such that you can install different operating systems and otherwise customize the system software. The operating systems available aren't as drastically different as Windows v.s. Linux is for PCs, but there can be significant differences in what's available and how it's presented. Both Samsung and Huawei, for example, provide a different "user experience" on their devices as delivered to the consumer.

There's also a tendency, by both the device manufacturers and by providers like Sprint (in the U.S.) to add many extra applications not everyone wants that cannot be removed. For example, the Facebook app is often included; I have zero interest in that and don't want that clutter. Custom operating systems allow one to include only what one needs in the base system; everything else is installed later and can be removed at will.

As Wudang mentions, there also have been cases where the pre-installed (and nonremovable) applications had, at best, security issues, and at worst could be considered spyware (notably from some Chinese manufacturers).
Old 8th January 2020, 11:58 PM   #8
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Thats weird. My Andy 2 'Ola has the most things that cannot be disabled or removed. I am a big believer that Sony and Sammy are about as good as Andy phones get for software onboard. My Sammy tablet is user friendly too.

LG and Lanix are my sore spot brands for crap software packages and slow processors.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 01:15 AM   #9
lauwersw
Thinker

Nokia (not really Nokia, actually produced by a company called HMD who license the Nokia brand name) is one of the few large Android companies that use Android One. Also Motorola and Xiaomi appear to be doing that:

https://www.android.com/one/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

Android One is a mostly stock Android version straight from Google without much crapware. The main advantage is that it's much easier for the phone producer to test and deliver Android updates to you, as they only have to test the changes made by Google and not all their own crap, apart from some specific hardware drivers. I know Nokia promises major upgrades (so from Android 9 to 10 to 11) for 2 years after purchase and security updates (only on the latest Android at that moment) for 2 years after that, which is major compared to other brands. I'd love to see even longer update cycles, I've been using phones in the past for up to 7 years!

I have a Nokia 6.1 now for about 2 years, I've had one major upgrade and regular security updates about every 2-3 months. This just requires a simple reboot, and I'm very happy with the overall experience.
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 02:55 AM   #10
Wudang
BOFH

Appreciated folks. Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Motorola are normally pretty happy to let you root the phone and used to (I haven't checked in a while) give you all the bits you needed on their website.

If you just buy a phone from them it's the least bloaty of the manufacturers to start with as well
My last two phones have been Motorola (x4 and g7) and they've been great. I would say they have no true bloatware given that what Moto puts on their phones is legitimately useful (I use some of the Moto actions and their lockscreen) and 100% optional (everything can be turned off). The experience is as close to "stock" Android as you're going to get outside of Pixel.

IMHO, the only reason to flash a Moto phone is if you really want features of a specific alternative OS or you know that there are no further updates coming (I'm expecting the next Android version for my phone in the next month or so). Flashing it in order to "clean" the phone would be a total waste.

And, man, Moto's budget phones are very cheap for their capabilities. Great value.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet