ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2020, 01:25 AM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

1TB Micro SSD - WTF

How do they fit a terabyte into a micro SSD? You could just about fit a petabyte in a 5.25 inch case if you pack it with those things.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 01:37 AM   #2
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

They use new technology from Pym Industries to do it.....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 02:01 AM   #3
BillC
Bazooka Joe

1 TB = 8x1012 bits. At 6 transistors per bit, that's 4.8x1013 transistors -- 48 trillion -- on a 15x11 mm card.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 02:27 AM   #4
Cheetah
Master Poster

Someone took a MicroFocus X-Ray of 16GB MicroSD, wonder what a 1TB looks like.
Old 8th January 2020, 08:02 AM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I was recently amazed that I could fit my entire music mp3 library and more on a 128gb micro SD card no bigger than my fingernail. One problem is, it's easy to misplace if not kept in its slot.
Old 8th January 2020, 08:21 AM   #6
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Someone took a MicroFocus X-Ray of 16GB MicroSD, wonder what a 1TB looks like.
I don't know specifically, but it could look identical. That X-ray image doesn't even detect the memory elements.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 03:28 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I was recently amazed that I could fit my entire music mp3 library and more on a 128gb micro SD card no bigger than my fingernail. One problem is, it's easy to misplace if not kept in its slot.
Best idea is to have 2 or 3 backups in addition to what is on the computer. After all if you lost your library you would have lost something valuable. While we are on the subject review what else is on your computer that you consider valuable and back that up too.

As to SSD drives how about a 2TB drive?
Ref: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...hoCRJgQAvD_BwE

or 4TB? Ref: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...92-MZ-76P4T0BW

or 8TB WTF? rEF: https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/06/...ssd-prototype/

Last edited by rjh01; 8th January 2020 at 03:29 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 03:37 PM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Best idea is to have 2 or 3 backups in addition to what is on the computer. After all if you lost your library you would have lost something valuable. While we are on the subject review what else is on your computer that you consider valuable and back that up too.
Hehe, that is my backup.
Old 8th January 2020, 04:22 PM   #9
a_unique_person

You could fit, at a guess, 50 micro SD in a SSD case, so I am expecting to see 50TB drives out soon.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 04:25 PM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You could fit, at a guess, 50 micro SD in a SSD case, so I am expecting to see 50TB drives out soon.
Already available from Viking.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 04:39 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I still find the 2TB drive I got for Christmas pretty amazing, and it's got a spinny thing in it.
Oh, and the old computer I'm typing on appears to total about .7GB of storage and it's 2/3 unused.

640k is enough for anyone.
Old 9th January 2020, 01:22 AM   #12
lauwersw
Thinker

I currently manage around 100TB of data for my company, all on fast SSD storage with triple redundancy for safety. So not on a single drive, most definitely not, but no real backups either yet, as that becomes impractical at that size, even though we do plan on taking another copy.

Sometimes I'm still amazed and scared ******** at the same time by that amount. In theory the data could be reproduced from scratch, but that would take a lot of time and effort from many thousands of people, who'd be majorly pissed at me. I do manage to sleep reasonably well, thank you :-)
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 01:38 AM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
I currently manage around 100TB of data for my company, all on fast SSD storage with triple redundancy for safety. So not on a single drive, most definitely not, but no real backups either yet, as that becomes impractical at that size, even though we do plan on taking another copy.

Sometimes I'm still amazed and scared ******** at the same time by that amount. In theory the data could be reproduced from scratch, but that would take a lot of time and effort from many thousands of people, who'd be majorly pissed at me. I do manage to sleep reasonably well, thank you :-)
Are they all located in the same building? If so what happens if that building is destroyed? You need a remote backup. You only need one on fast SSD. The others can be on a normal hard drive. Save big $.
Old 16th January 2020, 01:12 PM   #14
This is The End

Normally in that situation you would do a monthly backup/sync to offsite. The offsite backup doesn't need to be an up to the minute 1 to 1 copy.
Old 16th January 2020, 04:14 PM   #15
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

To me, the exciting thing isn't cramming a terabyte onto a Micro SD card. What makes me smile is that in about 2 years that terabyte of storage will cost around $50.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 04:58 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
To me, the exciting thing isn't cramming a terabyte onto a Micro SD card. What makes me smile is that in about 2 years that terabyte of storage will cost around $50.
I assume you mean of solid-state storage, because you can get a 2TB spinny-thing one for US$60 or less.
Old 16th January 2020, 05:11 PM   #17
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I assume you mean of solid-state storage, because you can get a 2TB spinny-thing one for US$60 or less.

Micro SD
Old 16th January 2020, 05:19 PM   #18
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Exactly. Putting 1TB into a hard drive, even a solid state PC drive, isn't really news worthy of a thread. I assume the thread title is a mistake.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 05:35 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I assume the thread title is a mistake.
8K Television - WTF
Old 16th January 2020, 06:07 PM   #20
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I assume the thread title is a mistake.
What's wrong with the thread title?
Old 16th January 2020, 06:20 PM   #21
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
What's wrong with the thread title?
Extra "S." If there is a "micro SSD," somebody chose a purposely confusing name.
Old 16th January 2020, 06:31 PM   #22
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Extra "S." If there is a "micro SSD," somebody chose a purposely confusing name.
Ah, of course.
Old 16th January 2020, 07:38 PM   #23
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
8K Television - WTF
Windows 10 - WTF
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 02:41 AM   #24
lauwersw
Thinker

Are they all located in the same building? If so what happens if that building is destroyed? You need a remote backup. You only need one on fast SSD. The others can be on a normal hard drive. Save big $.
(sorry for the late answer) It's cloud based, so the cloud vendor handles geographic distribution. It's guaranteed to be replicated to multiple copies in at least 2 separate data centers.
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2020, 03:21 PM   #25
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
8K Television - WTF
That's just a logical progression of current technology that doesn't involve the level of technology required for a 1 TB MicroSD.
Old 26th January 2020, 03:22 PM   #26
a_unique_person

My bad. Report me.
Old 26th January 2020, 03:37 PM   #27
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
My bad. Report me.

I'm going to report you if you don't stop using these moronic tapatalk emojis.
Old 26th January 2020, 06:23 PM   #28
Hungry81
Master Poster

Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2020, 06:51 PM   #29
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Not entirely sure what just happened there, but suggest that no-one should should eat or drink anything from Hungry81's last location.
Old 27th January 2020, 03:52 AM   #30
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Back in 2004, I bought my first USB thumb drive. It was £30, for 128MB. Yes, MB. And I wasn't ripped off. The past really is a different country.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 12:47 PM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Back in 2004, I bought my first USB thumb drive. It was £30, for 128MB. Yes, MB. And I wasn't ripped off. The past really is a different country.
Back before the Euro came in I spent £450 of my employer's money on a 4GB drive.The

At last count I have 227 of them in a jar, event freebies from the last year or so.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 01:28 PM   #32
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Last week I bought a thumb drive to transport data from one laptop to another on occasion. Only criteria was that it was one of the tiny ones that are basically just the USB plug, so it can stay in one of the laptops permanently until I switch to the other one. 8GB would have sufficed. The situation in the shop around the corner was that the smallest one available was 16GB for 8€. 32GB was 10€, 64GB 14€ and 128GB 23€ (didn't check for higher capacity ones). I took the 64GB option. Maybe I'll fill it with music or so.
Old 1st February 2020, 01:53 PM   #33
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
I bought a 32 meg one in Placette in Geneva in the very early 2000s and for a fleeting moment I was one of the cool kids at work.
Old 1st February 2020, 02:23 PM   #34
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Last week I bought a thumb drive to transport data from one laptop to another on occasion. Only criteria was that it was one of the tiny ones that are basically just the USB plug, so it can stay in one of the laptops permanently until I switch to the other one. 8GB would have sufficed. The situation in the shop around the corner was that the smallest one available was 16GB for 8€. 32GB was 10€, 64GB 14€ and 128GB 23€ (didn't check for higher capacity ones). I took the 64GB option. Maybe I'll fill it with music or so.
Manufacturing the case, packaging and shipping cost more than the ICs.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 04:28 AM   #35
a_unique_person

The ones that aren't miniature are probably full of air. They are easier to hold and harder to lose in the larger case.
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:44 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Personally I prefer standard SD or CompactFlash if you're just using it as a backup. Otherwise Micro is pretty sweet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:45 AM   #37
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

USB thumb drives, modern stuff they'll never catch on we will be using MemorySticks for decades to come.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:46 PM   #38
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

The problem with Micro SD (apart from the fact that sneezing on it means it is lost in the carpet somewhere) is that it is not very fast. Even USB 3 is five times faster than the fastest SD transfer rate. Thunderbolt 3 will do 40 times the bit rate.

I'm not saying "don't buy a micro SD card". They certainly have their applications e.g. in cameras, but for an external drive for a computer, I'd go with a physically larger SSD any day, if it supports USB 3 or Thunderbolt.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:59 AM   #39
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Just for perspective, thirty-something years ago I visited a computer facility that had a one-terabyte backup system. It consisted of a wall full of tape cartridges or disk packs and multiple drives to read/write them. It took up a good portion of a large room.

Now, you can store that amount of data on a card about the size of a fingernail.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 12:41 PM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The problem with Micro SD (apart from the fact that sneezing on it means it is lost in the carpet somewhere) is that it is not very fast. Even USB 3 is five times faster than the fastest SD transfer rate. Thunderbolt 3 will do 40 times the bit rate.

I'm not saying "don't buy a micro SD card". They certainly have their applications e.g. in cameras, but for an external drive for a computer, I'd go with a physically larger SSD any day, if it supports USB 3 or Thunderbolt.
I'd prefer CompactFlash myself but they're absurdly expensive.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet