ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chaos Computer Club , congress , Germany events , hacking

Old 30th December 2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

24th Chaos Communication Congress Recordings

Today is the last day of the annual Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin. As usual they cover a broad variety of topics around hacking, communication, security issues, science, cultural developments etc pp. Geek stuff and as most of the lectures are in english these days, i thought i give you a link to the recordings.

Some are already online, the rest will follow "when they're ready".

Schedule: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Fahrplan/
Recordings: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/C...nce_Recordings

Enjoy.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

A lot of good stuff this year.

Schedule (look up ID of lecture in description)
Recordings (find ID in list)

Originally Posted by ID 3015
Rapid Prototype Your Life

The time is now to make anything you can imagine

The tools are at hand to free you from the bonds of consumer slavery. No longer must you rely on distant and faceless factories or bow down before the false idols of mass produced consumer manufactured items. Never again look into the aisles of oblivion filled with mass produced products. Take rapid prototype manufacturing into your life and return to a time before corporations robbed you of our individualism. A cottage industry paradise awaits those with the digital skills and the means to acquire or build the machines that can actualize the items that exist now only in your imagination.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 27th January 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Just finished #3052, a documentary about Joseph Weizenbaum. Really enjoyed it. RIP.

Wassup here, do you think a "hacker" conference is something illegal, or why is nobody commenting? Sure enough enough nerds are here.

Oh, and Roger Dingledine of TOR fame is my current favorite Übernerd. Great approach, that guy.

Also, if you're into specifics, don't miss the ultimate C64 talk.
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

And another year goes by...

Schedule (look up ID of lecture in description)
Recordings (find ID in list)

Originally Posted by ID3567
WikiLeaks Release 1.0
Insight into vision, motivation and innovation

During the last 12 months WikiLeaks representatives have been talking at numerous conferences, from technology via human rights to media focused, in an effort to introduce WikiLeaks to the world. WikiLeaks has had major document releases that have spawned attention in all major newspapers by now, it has triggered important reform and has established itself as part of the accepted media reality.

Little did we have the chance though to talk about a bigger picture, especially of how we perceive the future and its constraints.

We therefore would like to talk about our vision of the information society, journalism's role in that society, as well as our role in it. Along this vision we will introduce new features for WikiLeaks Release 1.0, that will be no short of changing the world as we all know it.
Old 3rd January 2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Have read; will check it out. Currently I inhabit a cell, albeit one in a spreadsheet. Too much work to give your stuff a thorough go right now. I will say I find rapid prototyping eg interesting, tho not so much the philosophy in the quote above, but will gotakealooksoonest.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:30 PM   #6
six7s
veretic

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Wassup here, do you think a "hacker" conference is something illegal, or why is nobody commenting? Sure enough enough nerds are here.
Maybe everyone else is too polite to point out the irony of an organisation with Communication in its name and a web site that sucks
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The organisation actually has Chaos in its name. Not Communication. If that braindead little joke is everything you have to add, just stfu.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 3rd January 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:00 AM   #8
six7s
veretic

The organisation actually has Chaos in its name. Not Communication. If that braindead little joke is everything you have to add, just stfu.
FAIL

Welcome - 26C3 Public Wiki
Quote:
26C3: Here Be Dragons

The 26th Chaos Communication Congress (26C3) is the annual four-day conference organized by the Chaos Computer Club (CCC).
Old 4th January 2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

... by the Chaos Computer Club. Look them up on the internetz.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:52 AM   #10
six7s
veretic

Why?
Old 4th January 2010, 12:59 AM   #11
Ducky

You two want to at least grease up first?

That's the only way this is going to be interesting to the rest of us.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 06:58 AM   #12
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

27C3: we come in peace

Just started.

Schedule
Streams
Old 27th December 2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by six7s View Post
Why?
Because that would give you the chance to see the difference between the CCC (the organization), and 27C3 (the event).
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

They are not only the largest and oldest computer club in the world (at least that's what they told me), but also the best IT-enduser-lobby worldwide (from what i've gathered). Those guys directly brief the german government on IT and privacy issues, which results in dutch hackers praising Germany as a privacy paradise - which doesn't mean much, still a lot of work to do and assults to counter.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 27th December 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 28th December 2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Watching live, this one (ID 4263) just ended:

Quote:
My name is Nicholas Merrill and I was the plaintiff in a legal case in the US court system where I challenged the FBI’s policy of using a feature of the so-called USA PATRIOT act - what are called “National Security Letters” - to bypass the American Constitution's system of checks and balances and in violation of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights - in order to obtain protected personal information and to unmask anonymous Internet users. I spent over 6 years not able to speak to anyone (other than my lawyers) about my case - forced to lie to those closest to me due to an FBI gag order that carried a possible 10 year prison sentence for violating it. However the lawsuit resulted in the establishment of two key legal precedents and made changes that affect every Internet worker and Telephone worker in America. I would like to speak to the 27C3 audience in order to tell about my experience and to challenge (and offer my support and assistance to) those individuals who are in a position to challenge government surveillance requests to follow their consciences and do so.

People who work at Internet Service Providers and Telephone companies as well as IT workers at Universities and private businesses are increasingly likely to encounter government attempts at surveillance. I would like to speak to the CCC regarding my experiences in resisting a National Security Letter and also a “Grand Jury Subpoena” as well as my experience of being gagged by the FBI for nearly 7 years - unable to speak on the subject or identify myself as the plaintiff in the NSL lawsuit.

He got what he deserved: standing ovations.

Next and concluding the evening is a feature about Stanislaw Lem, one of my favorite authors. Event titled "the dissapointed do-gooder". Do-Gooder is what my translator does to "Weltverbesserer" - talk is in german language.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:11 PM   #16
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I thought this might be a thread about Jerry Pournelle.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

.. but then it just turned out to be the unofficial forum management thread.
Old 29th December 2010, 09:33 PM   #18
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Awesome, CE, I've been to their website before and heard about the gatherings but never got into it until now.

Danke schön!
Old 31st December 2010, 03:22 PM   #19
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

You're welcome.

Recordings of this year are starting to come in, you can find them here. Some are also on YouTube. Here's the Keynote by Rop Gonggrijp, one of the founders of continental europe's first private ISP, XS4ALL in Amsterdam:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 3rd January 2011, 06:06 AM   #20
Ohforf
Scholar

Cool

I really enjoyed this Speech : "Copyright Enforcement Vs. Freedoms".
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The 27C3 was a Meeting of extraordinary talented People discussing serious Matters and having Fun.
Also noteworthy : The "Fnord Jahresrückblick" (english translation available) and "CCC Jahresrückblick" (german only) really made me ROFL IRL.

Last edited by Ohforf; 3rd January 2011 at 06:08 AM.
Ohforf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2011, 08:13 AM   #21
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Starts tomorrow.

Schedule is here (Times are UTC+1).
Streams will be there.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:02 AM   #22
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Conference is in full swing, everbody got an ultrafancy badge...

Quote:
Besides being a shiny electronic name tag, the r0ket is an easy to use full featured microcontroller development board.

I AGREE

Stuff gets youtubed and in addition they have an independent on-demand-streaming. Livestream here.

In half an hour the TOR guys will report How governments have tried to block Tor.

Quote:
Roger Dingledine and Jacob Appelbaum will talk about how exactly these governments are doing the blocking, both in terms of what signatures they filter in Tor (and how we've gotten around the blocking in each case), and what technologies they use to deploy the filters -- including the use of Western technology to operate the surveillance and censorship infrastructure in Tunisia (Smartfilter), Syria (Bluecoat), and other countries. We'll cover what we've learned about the mindset of the censor operators (who in many cases don't want to block Tor because they use it!), and how we can measure and track the wide-scale censorship in these countries. Last, we'll explain Tor's development plans to get ahead of the address harvesting and handshake DPI arms races.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 28th December 2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 26th December 2012, 07:09 PM   #23
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yup, that's right, as the tickets were sold out literally in minutes the last years, this year they decided to finally leave the good old Berlin cave and move to Hamburg with a venue twice as large, expecting 6K attendants.

Will start the next 11 UTC+1, Schedule is here, streaming link about to come.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 26th December 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 27th December 2012, 03:29 AM   #24
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Streams: http://29c3.fem-net.de
Old 28th December 2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Two events maybe interesting for the JREF Forum audience later tonight - ID 5230, in a good 2 hours in Saal 6:

Originally Posted by ID5230
Stylometry and Online Underground Markets

Stylometry uses linguistic information found in a document to perform authorship recognition. In this talk, we will present how stylometry can be used to deanonymize users in multilingual underground forums. [...]

And after that, for the magicians, in Saal 4:

Originally Posted by ID5270
Hanussen's mindreading
Experiments of the historical psychic

This is fun stuff for the late night program, not a serious talk: Is it possible to read sb. others mind?

In the late 1920ies/early 1930ies Berlin was excited by the famous mindreader and fortune-teller Erik Jan Hanussen who performed his strange abilities on stage. His act was so convincing that leading nazis believed in his powers and wanted him for advice – until they decided to murder him.

Markus Kompa tells the true story of the mysterious mindreader 'Erik Jan Hanussen' (1889-1933) and offers to copy Hanussen's experiments with participation of the audience. [...]

edit: recordings are/will be here.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 28th December 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 26th December 2013, 06:12 AM   #26
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

30th Chaos Communication Congress
December 27th to 30th, 2013
CCH Congress Center Hamburg, Germany, Earth, Milky Way
Congress Wiki with Schedule, Livestreams, etc.
Old 27th December 2013, 08:39 AM   #27
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Wiki down - hacked?

Schedule mirror is here, streams are over there. Keynote with Glenn Greenwald in three hours.
Old 26th December 2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

same place, same time
schedule (UTC+1)
streaming
keynote by alec empire (yes, THE alec empire!)
Old 26th December 2015, 07:37 PM   #29
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

There we go again, what the hell maybe there are still some people who read here but are unfamiliar with the event. Eight hours to keynote (speaker is still secret). Reading the wiki I thought there must be some easy way to get a notice if something you deemed interesting soon starts, and yes after half an hour of research I had a fancy app on my "smart phone". xCal is the format for that. Enjoy!

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 26th December 2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 27th December 2015, 02:58 AM   #30
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

5 minutes to go.

Streams: http://streaming.media.ccc.de/32c3/
Old 30th December 2015, 05:22 PM   #31
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

A great event again. Here's a talk I thought was especially fun & cool. The other stuff likely is at that youtube account as well. Intelexit:

I AGREE
Old 1st January 2016, 07:15 PM   #32
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I almost missed the maybe most important talk of this year's congress, Rop and Frank's "10 years after" update to their indeed very influential 2005 talk "We lost the war". If you're interested in what this I think very important and relevant (and totally non-evil) community is about, maybe the best way to figure it out is to listen to these two talks.

2005:
I AGREE

2015:
I AGREE
Old 26th December 2016, 06:35 PM   #33
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yup, that's right, as the tickets were sold out literally in minutes the last years, this year they decided to finally leave the good old Berlin cave and move to Hamburg with a venue twice as large, expecting 6K attendants.

Four year later: that venue is sold out as well, with +12K attendants. Well, this time it is the 33C3, which makes it 3 3s and 3 Cs, which works for everyone. Click pic and find out for yourself. Starts Dec 27 at 11 am CET.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 26th December 2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 26th December 2017, 09:06 AM   #34
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

As always same date, schedule, streaming. Place is now Messe Leipzig, where around 15,000 people are expected to show up.
Old 26th December 2017, 02:08 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It all seems very well organized.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2017, 01:41 PM   #36
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

What a great program so far. Will catch the upcoming talk about the Internet in Saudi Arabia at the top of the hour, but am filled with info already. And there seems to be one underlying theme: It is now clear what will happen with all the big data. The gamification of society. On the forefront, although a bit naive about the nature of what is occuring, this talk about the situation in China where they are on a five year plan to make gamification mandatory!
Old 29th December 2017, 09:55 AM   #37
Hans
Philosopher

I almost missed the maybe most important talk of this year's congress, Rop and Frank's "10 years after" update to their indeed very influential 2005 talk "We lost the war". If you're interested in what this I think very important and relevant (and totally non-evil) community is about, maybe the best way to figure it out is to listen to these two talks.

2005:
I AGREE

2015:
I AGREE
Very interesting thanks CE
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 12:19 PM   #38
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Very interesting thanks CE

You're very welcome Hans, thanks for taking the time. I think there are few things that last a good two hours that can give such an insight into the technological world we live in, and what it means, as watching these two lectures.

A longtime annual highlight of the Congress was a thing Frank did together with another CCC big wig, Fefe, called "Fnord Jahresrückblick (Year Review)", mentioned in #20, a satirical review working with memes and stuff. They cancelled it this year, saying they are unable to produce something worth the effort and people should simply watch the news.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:18 PM   #39
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Here's a nice review of the event:

Originally Posted by hackaday
If you’ve been to a Chaos Communication Congress, you know the feeling — the strange realization after it’s all over that you’re back in the “real world”. It’s somehow alienating and unfriendly in comparison to being surrounded by computer freaks, artists, hackers, activists, coders, and other like-minded individuals over the four days of the Congress. A hand-written poster by the podcasting center read “Endlich, normale Leute” — “At last, normal people” — which is irony piled on irony but the sentiment is still right for certain strange values of “normal”. Normal hackers? You’d probably fit right in. [...]
Old 26th December 2018, 04:01 PM   #40
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

"Refreshing Memories" is the slogan this year and they rented a bit more of the giant Leipzig Messe so that the event will be significantly bigger once again, now with five instead of four parallel event halls.

The keynote is titled "Why and How the Precariat will define the Global Transformation to save our planet" by a British economist named Guy Standing, a proponent of unconditional basic income. Which isn't as unusual as it seems, because finding unconventional solutions to problems of society was always under the umbrella of what is considered "hacking" by the CCC.

Opening event will be in 11 hours from now.

Schedule: https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2018/Fahrplan/
Streaming: https://streaming.media.ccc.de/35c3

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet