ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2020, 12:18 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Pihole

I've been doing some research to replace pfblockerNG with something that will block ads at the entry point because I have teenagers which I can't trust to vet things.

While digging around I found Pihole, which looks extremely promising. I'm just about to do the install now, and there doesn't seem to be much to it. I'm not sure how in-depth other people get with their network but this seems like a pretty easy way to save some headaches.

Long story short, when installed and setup the pihole server\Docker will be the only thing that can resolve DNS on the internet. I'll update this after I get done with the install process, and have tested it, if anyone is interested. Other than that, figured I'd share a new toy! It's opensource.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 01:49 AM   #2
lauwersw
Thinker

I have colleagues running it and being really happy with it. I'm considering it too for when I find some time.
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:39 AM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
I have colleagues running it and being really happy with it. I'm considering it too for when I find some time.
I have a Dell R810 server with ESXi that runs pfsense, and my servers at home. I spun up a new virtual machine and got this configured with relative ease. I haven't tested throughput, latency and the like to see if it's slowed anything down but there's nothing noticeable so far.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Donal
Illuminator

I have been running it in Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi. Been pretty good so far.
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:14 AM   #5
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I have been running it in Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi. Been pretty good so far.
I really like Home Assistant. I haven't done much with it, but I'm doing some work on my home this summer and I'm looking at using it to automate around the house.

ETA: Or openhab has been highly recommended too, but it's a bit more programming than I'd like.

Last edited by plague311; 22nd January 2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:12 PM   #6
Donal
Illuminator

I'm still getting starting with it. I'm using Hassio because its supposed to be the easiest way for beginners.
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:24 AM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I'm still getting starting with it. I'm using Hassio because its supposed to be the easiest way for beginners.
That makes complete sense. I'm eyeing up the HestiaPi touch, but I'd have to do a bit of conversion since the Europeans don't use power properly. (That's just a joke.)

Old 7th February 2020, 11:57 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

The PiHole works like an absolute charm. Zero ads, and you can control how much data you give out to the internet when surfing. Completely customizable. I love it.

Old 10th February 2020, 03:44 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Switched my network over to DNS over HTTPS, which is built into PiHole. Still works like a charm with the added bonus of HTTPS.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet