ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:50 PM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

An odd problem with a jittery mouse

System is Win 10 Pro 64bit - the mouse is a bog-standard Microsoft wireless USB LED infra-red mouse.

Every so often, the mouse pointer will start to lag as I move it. If I move the mouse quite quickly to get from one side of the screen to the other, the jumps are big, but as I slowly approach the icon I want to click on the mouse jitters back and forth, missing the icon. I have to move it very, very slowly so that the jumps are smaller, until it is hovering over the icon.

I can temporarily fix this problem by rapidly sliding the mouse back and forth on the mouse pad several times. This always fixes the problem but it is only temporary - within anything from a few minutes to a couple of hours, the lag and jumpiness is back.

Now, if this was an old PS2 mouse, I would suspect the ball and rollers needed cleaning, but this an LED/IR mouse - no moving parts. Its almost as if the computer is busy doing something else and is not devoting enough resources to the mouse, but quickly moving it quickly triggers the computer to take notice.

I thought one of the suspects might be a weak wireless signal, so I put the transmitter on a USB extension cord and taped to the desk right in front of the mousepad. This didn't fix it. Also, I have an identical mouse-keyboard-transmitter combination at home, so I swapped them over. The problem remained with the same computer.

At this stage, I'm thinking drivers, but would like to know if anyone else has any ideas before I start monkeying with them.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #2
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Change the batteries. If that cures the problem, make a note to change them a year hence.
Old 19th November 2019, 02:13 PM   #3
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Change the batteries. If that cures the problem, make a note to change them a year hence.
Yeah, tried that. It still does this with a fresh set.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 02:34 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes it's the surface that makes it react badly. Maybe try a different mousepad or surface?
Old 19th November 2019, 02:57 PM   #5
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

When I heard "Jittery mouse" - I immediately thought "Get rid of the cat!"

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 03:05 PM   #6
KevinB
Student

Possibly dirt or bright light on the mouse mat.
KevinB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 03:08 PM   #7
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Putin.
Old 19th November 2019, 04:14 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe go into Task Manager and end processes that are not critical. Try them one-at-a-time and see if stopping a running process helps the mouse.
Old 19th November 2019, 04:15 PM   #9
GodMark2
Master Poster

Clean the lens with a cotton swab and some detergent solution (1 drop dish liquid in about a cup of water is enough). Dust and grease buildup from the mousepad can cause the focus to not be very good.
Old 19th November 2019, 05:06 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Sometimes it's the surface that makes it react badly. Maybe try a different mousepad or surface?
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Possibly dirt or bright light on the mouse mat.
Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Clean the lens with a cotton swab and some detergent solution (1 drop dish liquid in about a cup of water is enough). Dust and grease buildup from the mousepad can cause the focus to not be very good.
I have changed the mousemat and cleaned the lens as GodMark2 suggested. That was about half an hour ago. I have to say that the mouse pointer movement seems generally a bit smoother that it was even when it didn't have the jitter problem

So far, so good. I will update if I have any further problems.
Old 19th November 2019, 05:37 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm curious if you did the mousemat and lens cleaning as separate testable things, or if both changes were done simultaneously.

IOW, was the problem caused by the mat or the lens?
Old 19th November 2019, 05:48 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Keep your meth in a mouse-proof container. Duh!
Old 19th November 2019, 06:52 PM   #13
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Same problem I had with a logitech mouse was corrected by a firmware update.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 07:00 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

If you use a mouse pad, ditch it. Optical mouses do not need them.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Thank you for saying "mouses". The plural of the little rodent is "mice". But for computer peripherals, I always say "mouses".
Old 19th November 2019, 07:29 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Thank you for saying "mouses". The plural of the little rodent is "mice". But for computer peripherals, I always say "mouses".
So long as you pronounce it to rhyme with "houses".

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 08:27 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Hice"?
Old 19th November 2019, 10:55 PM   #18
Hungry81
Master Poster

Mouseopodes.

Last edited by Hungry81; 19th November 2019 at 10:59 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 11:43 PM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'm curious if you did the mousemat and lens cleaning as separate testable things, or if both changes were done simultaneously.

IOW, was the problem caused by the mat or the lens?
I did both at the same time. I'm in a business situation here, I want to fix it not necessarily spend a lot of time diagnosing the actual cause.

However, I have to say that cleaning lens had an immediate effect on how the mouse operated (smoother and more responsive than before) so I'm inclined to think that it was the major contributor. The mouse has operated flawlessly all afternoon, so I'm hopeful its fixed.
Old 19th November 2019, 11:44 PM   #20
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"I hate meeces to pieces"
- Mr. Jinx
Old 20th November 2019, 03:11 AM   #21
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I did both at the same time. I'm in a business situation here, I want to fix it not necessarily spend a lot of time diagnosing the actual cause.

However, I have to say that cleaning lens had an immediate effect on how the mouse operated (smoother and more responsive than before) so I'm inclined to think that it was the major contributor. The mouse has operated flawlessly all afternoon, so I'm hopeful its fixed.
It can be a bit odd. With my current mouse there are two desks which, if I sit at them, reduce my mouse pointer to a quivering wreck. Use a sheet of paper as a temporary mouse mat and no more problem. Why does this only occur with those two particular desks? I have no idea. There is no difference between them any any of the other desks as far as I can tell.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 06:40 AM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I've found that MDF (hardboard, or Masonite) makes an excellent mousing surface. I usually put a sheet of shelf liner grip material underneath so it doesn't slide around.
Old 20th November 2019, 06:46 AM   #23
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Weelllllll.....

That kinda depends. You are correct that they don't technically need them. On the other hand, not every surface is the same. On some surfaces they don't work well at all, so a mouse pad can give a consistent surface that doesn't interfere. But it is dependent on situation. You generally don't need one, but they can help if your mouse has trouble with whatever surface you use it on.

And there are "optical" mouse pads, made to provide a good surface for optical mice. They tend to be a stiffer, plasticized surface instead of the cloth of traditional mouse pads.
Old 20th November 2019, 06:49 AM   #24
elgarak
Illuminator

The most common dirtiness problem I encounter is a hair stuck in front of the lens. Often barely visible to my old eyes.

Causes either non-movement (the hair is fixed in place, and is the main thing the optics sees), or jumpiness (when the hair moves.)

Cleaning, best with compressed air can, helps.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 07:42 AM   #25
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
The most common dirtiness problem I encounter is a hair stuck in front of the lens. Often barely visible to my old eyes.

Causes either non-movement (the hair is fixed in place, and is the main thing the optics sees), or jumpiness (when the hair moves.)

Cleaning, best with compressed air can, helps.
We have four cats.

Hair is definitely a problem.
Old 20th November 2019, 02:23 PM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
We have four cats.

Hair is definitely a problem.
I agree, I'm always having to clean hair out of my optical trackball.
Old 20th November 2019, 02:56 PM   #27
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I went through this recently. Tried every recommendation/trick/advice on the Internet. Changed system settings, updated drivers, and etc.

Finally . . . a hardware problem. I replaced the mouse and the problem went away.
Old 20th November 2019, 09:47 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Weelllllll.....

That kinda depends. You are correct that they don't technically need them. On the other hand, not every surface is the same. On some surfaces they don't work well at all, so a mouse pad can give a consistent surface that doesn't interfere. But it is dependent on situation. You generally don't need one, but they can help if your mouse has trouble with whatever surface you use it on.

And there are "optical" mouse pads, made to provide a good surface for optical mice. They tend to be a stiffer, plasticized surface instead of the cloth of traditional mouse pads.
Yes, that's a good point. They don't work very well on more reflective or glossy surfaces. If your desk has such a surface, you may want to use a matte mat.

- Randall Munroe
Old 21st November 2019, 12:17 AM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Everything worked perfectly.... for most of the day, and then right at the end of the day... the return of the jittery mouse. Gah!!! Back to square one.

Just reading thorough some of the comments here, I am really beginning to wonder if the actual surface I have the mousemat on is not a good one. It is not, strictly speaking a desk. I have the mousemat sitting on the top of a film scanner on a workdesk.

The transition between the body of the scanner and the lamp cover (the black bit) is a bit bumpy. Tomorrow, I am going to try a piece of MDF (as suggested by alfaniner) on the scanner with and without the mousemat on top, and see what happens.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:28 AM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

If anyone's interested, I was working IT during the transition from ball mouses to optical mouses. I tried a lot of different things to optimise them, which is how I worked out that a matte desk is the optimal surface. I've spent the rest of my life trying to get people to stop using mouse mats.

Okay no I haven't.

- Randall Munroe
Old 21st November 2019, 12:42 AM   #31
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
When I heard "Jittery mouse" - I immediately thought "Get rid of the cat!"

It made me think of this thread from June: Any particular reason a mouse would mindlessly run in circles?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 11:16 AM   #32
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Does that scanner have a fan or something in it that would induce vibration?
Old 21st November 2019, 04:04 PM   #33
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Yes, that's a good point. They don't work very well on more reflective or glossy surfaces. If your desk has such a surface, you may want to use a matte mat.
That's been less true for ages, modern sensors work pretty well across a wide range of surfaces,personally I like a rigid mousemat for a smoother action when moving the mouse and they're easier to clean. Whereas my old gaming desk has a patch where the finish has been worn away as I used the mouse without a mat for too long.

As for the original problem, I've had some luck with repositioning the wireless reciever, if you can use the front port (or use a USB extension) to bring it closer to the mouse.

Beyond that you may want to ask how much time you're willing to spend troubleshooting a £15 part, and get a cheap wired mouse as a backup
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 04:38 PM   #34
p0lka
Graduate Poster

blow on the mouse where the roller ball used to be, a stray hair in the flashy lens thing can cause the issues you mentioned.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:30 PM   #35
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
That's been less true for ages, modern sensors work pretty well across a wide range of surfaces...
I haven't found that to be the case. But I admit it's been a couple of years since I've been forced to try and use a shiny desk.

- Randall Munroe
Old 21st November 2019, 06:46 PM   #36
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Does that scanner have a fan or something in it that would induce vibration?
It does have a fan, but it only runs while the scanner is actually scanning a film or a transparency.

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st November 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:32 AM   #37
plague311
Great minds think...

Did you upgrade the firmware\driver? Windows updates almost weekly, sometimes the updates can break ****.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 03:46 PM   #38
Joe Random
Master Poster

Not convinced this is your issue, but in the past I've had problems with wireless mouses which had to do with the specific placement of the receiver. Not distance, just placement - for some reason the specific orientation of the receiver compared to where the mouse was made the signal erratic. Changing that by, say, moving the receiver from a port on the front of the case to one on the back, or getting an extender so the receiver plugged in oriented up-to-down vs front-to-back (even if further away) would clear up the issue for me. Obviously this wouldn't work if you just plugged it into a port right next to the one it's in now.

Just something you might be able to try for free depending on your available ports.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:57 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No problems all day yesterday, and none at all today (its Saturday here, so its a half day). It seems that placing a piece of MDF on the scanner top, replacing the mousemat and cleaning the lens seems to have fixed this problem. This jitter problem was happening at least a three or four times times each day.

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Not convinced this is your issue, but in the past I've had problems with wireless mouses which had to do with the specific placement of the receiver. Not distance, just placement - for some reason the specific orientation of the receiver compared to where the mouse was made the signal erratic. Changing that by, say, moving the receiver from a port on the front of the case to one on the back, or getting an extender so the receiver plugged in oriented up-to-down vs front-to-back (even if further away) would clear up the issue for me. Obviously this wouldn't work if you just plugged it into a port right next to the one it's in now.

Just something you might be able to try for free depending on your available ports.
Well, we were having a problem similar to that with a wifi connected scanner. Every so often, the scanner would time out in the middle of a scan, reporting that its wifi connection was lost. It would do this several times in a row, then suddenly would work OK for a few days. We tried a few fixes, including moving the scanner a few inches one way or the other. Its seemed to fix the problem temporarily but after a while, the problem came back. What fixed it ultimately was moving the wifi access point a couple of feet to the left... we've had no problems since.
Old 24th November 2019, 10:37 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher

A guy I used to work next to had a mouse that would move by itself, right and left click at the most inconvenient times, and it was a randomly occurring problem for almost two months. Some days it wouldn't happen, some days it would come and go.

The problem followed him when he'd try another computer. There were many in the room (we were working at Google on Google Maps and literally drawing roads on satellite imagery at the time). Very strange behavior for a mouse!

He finally discovered that if he used his left hand instead of his right that the problem would disappear immediately. Was my suggestion

It got to the point where he was using the mouse left handed. If he moved his right hand near the mouse the cursor would start to move around. The closer his hand got the worse it moved! He said, "There's a force in my hand!" He seriously thought that might be the cause.

The problem: I had plugged a second mouse into his PC and was operating it with my foot. He even had a half-assed IT guy check out the PC and he didn't notice the extra USB cable! I was home free after that.

He's a good friend so it wasn't "bad", but I had him going for two months. He thought his hand was possessed and he'd sometimes get frustrated and slam the mouse. Not usually, he was pretty mellow. Other times he'd laugh his ass off when it happened.

I felt bad after awhile but I couldn't stop. It was too perfect! I took it too far really, I admit it.

After some time I got bolder. I'd right click with my foot, move down the menu, select something while we both stared amazed at the screen. He'd look at me with mouth agape like WTF!?!?!?

I got very good with the foot-mouse. I sat right next to him so I saw his entire 30" monitor the whole time. I'd have my hands behind my head while we watched his mouse dance. It's not me!

And of course he suspected me for awhile. But when he tried switching desks I got down there and moved the mouse to the other machine. It was a mess of cables with dozens of computers. That's when I really had him. The problem was him.

Sometimes I'd laugh so hard I'd have to pretend I was coughing and look the other way.

People pranked each other a lot there, it was a "thing", especially if you left your PC unattended and not password locked (called getting "cheesed"). But this was the best ever I must say. He got me a few times too but nothing like this.

It was my best prank ever. We're still friends and still talk now and then. GREAT guy and a great friend. Thankfully! I told this story here years ago and a few called me a jerk, but jerk or not, this was a damn fine prank!

ETA:
If it makes anyone feel better I did get another guy. He was a total homophobe and after getting sick of hearing his crap, me and my buddy "the mouse-victim" emailed him a couple of times pretending I was a guy that was attracted to him and "noticed" him on the Google campus.

30 seconds after I sent that email he demanded I follow him into the conference room for a chat.

"Tell me, is this you? Are you messing with me?"

"Nope." Man was he bothered by this. I never told him the truth either.

I also put a Chippendales desktop wallpaper on his PC once when he forgot to hit the screen saver on his break. That was a common prank though.

This dude creeped out a few girls too so I didn't feel bad at all for him.

Since the thread seems resolved, here's a good easy computer prank - might be an old one. Not sure if this still works on Windows 10.

- Take a screenshot of the PC desktop.
- Set it as the desktop wallpaper.
- Right-click the desktop, select View, then UN-check "Show Desktop Icons".

The icons disappear but the screenshot wallpaper makes everything look normal. Your victim will wonder why none of their desktop icons and folders are working.

Last edited by mgidm86; 24th November 2019 at 10:52 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet