ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boris Johnson , Nigel Farage , uk elections , uk politics

Old 12th November 2019, 04:44 AM   #361
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Maybe some of them will be so pissed off they'll stand as unofficial Brexit party candidates, and spoil Nigel's day.
Or even Boris's.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 05:05 AM   #362
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
300k? Nice return for little effort. And the money is going to a limited company so can be paid out as directors' fees and suchlike?
Plus donations, from the Great British public, shady offshore businessmen and of course Russia
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 05:49 AM   #363
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Is NF's show still on LBC during the election period? How can that be ok?
Old 12th November 2019, 05:51 AM   #364
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He's not a candidate or a member of a political party.
Brexit Party is a ltd company, not a political party.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 05:57 AM   #365
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Nigel Farage told Eddie Mair "of course" he will not refund the dropped Brexit Party candidates, after deciding not to stand his party against the Conservatives in 317 seats.

Grifters gonna grift.
Only last week Mrs Analyst - muddling her way through being the local Green Party election agent - wondered aloud as to how Brexit Ltd. could afford the deposits for candidates in "every" constituency. I said that they were probably counting on the candidates paying that themselves, as well as any other expenses they may incur, rather than the "party" covering them. Seems I was right.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:05 AM   #366
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Another good reason to think that he never ever planned to stand.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:09 AM   #367
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
BBC News: General Election 2019: Voters should back Johnson - ex Labour MP

Having just seen Austin on BBC Breakfast, I have to say that he came across as staggeringly insincere, and his delivery seemed more like an actor playing the part. He also accused Corbyn directly of saying and doing racist things (which may or may not be actionable), but seemed OK in urging people to vote for a party led by serial racist Boris Johnson.

On a related note, my attention was recently drawn to a Jewish press report trumpeting the fact that so many Jewish Labour voters had switched to the Lib-Dems. Apart from the fact that they'd misinterpreted the poll data in the most basic way, it actually showed that it was something 55% had switched to other parties in general, so not markedly more than the 47% other polling shows across the general population. It's also the case that only 11% of Jewish voters supported Labour in 2017, anyway.
Wow, an apology for racism followed by a “racism isn’t a big deal because we don’t need that minority’s votes anyway, there’s too few of them”.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:11 AM   #368
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

He is not a candidate but he is Leader of the Brexit Party as registered with the Electoral Commission.

http://search.electoralcommission.or...rations/PP7931

I don't think Nicola Sturgeon would be allowed to have her own show on the radio during the election period even though she isn't standing either.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:13 AM   #369
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Wow, an apology for racism followed by a “racism isn’t a big deal because we don’t need that minority’s votes anyway, there’s too few of them”.
Yeah except there was no apology for racism there at all. And the second part wasn't true either.

Still 0% true is probably the average for this election so far from Tories.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:39 AM   #370
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

This election is so depressing. I think that I will ignore all news about it.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:43 AM   #371
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

A friend told me that she was in the library in Peebles and chatting to some woman (not sure if she knew her or not) who said, yeah, well, I have voted SNP in the past but not this time. I'm voting Conservative. I like Boris. I think he's great.

Yes, my friend was quite depressed about that.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:46 AM   #372
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
A friend told me that she was in the library in Peebles and chatting to some woman (not sure if she knew her or not) who said, yeah, well, I have voted SNP in the past but not this time. I'm voting Conservative. I like Boris. I think he's great.

Yes, my friend was quite depressed about that.
Parties underestimate the British public's fondness for the BoJo character at their cost

I don't get it myself, but then again I don't "get" The X Factor, Dominos Pizza, Ford Focuses and WKD and they are all popular too.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:49 AM   #373
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Parties underestimate the British public's fondness for the BoJo character at their cost

I don't get it myself, but then again I don't "get" The X Factor, Dominos Pizza, Ford Focuses and WKD and they are all popular too.
There are an awful lot of people who view Politics as part of the entertainment industry.
Old 12th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #374
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Rod Liddle drags the Spectator to an all time low

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/...r-kids-voting/

Drug your children if you think they might disagree with you on the future of the country they will inherit.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 08:14 AM   #375
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Rod Liddle drags the Spectator to an all time low

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/...r-kids-voting/

Drug your children if you think they might disagree with you on the future of the country they will inherit.
What the actual ****? I can't read the article because it's behind a paywall; what point is he trying to make?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 10:29 AM   #376
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Rod Liddle suggested that the election should be on a day when Muslims can't vote (or do anything without going to Hell, "there must be one") and parents should drug their University aged children, lock them in their rooms for the day or pay them to prevent them voting. He also had a dig at Rosie Duffield for having been a victim of domestic abuse.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 11:16 AM   #377
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
False accusations. <snip>

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rule 11.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 13th November 2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:43 PM   #378
Garrison
Illuminator

As far as the Brexit party goes I expect this grand gesture to devolve into shambles as individual Brexit party candidates refuse to play ball and the number of seats to be contested contracts to nothing but a few Labour marginals. The big problem is that as soon as the GE campaign kicked off Brexit went to the back of list of topics for discussion and, as usual, the economy and the NHS has come to the fore.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #379
Rolfe

Only last week Mrs Analyst - muddling her way through being the local Green Party election agent - wondered aloud as to how Brexit Ltd. could afford the deposits for candidates in "every" constituency. I said that they were probably counting on the candidates paying that themselves, as well as any other expenses they may incur, rather than the "party" covering them. Seems I was right.

Good luck to Mrs Analyst, that's quite an undertaking.

On that same note I had a call from Amanda Burgdauer's election agent last night, would I be in if he came round this morning so I could sign her nomination papers. I said sure, but wondered why he was driving 15 miles or more to a country village when there is a socking big town in the way full of party members and activists.

When he showed up he explained. Apparently the nominating voters have to provide their number on the electoral register. The returning officer decided last week to re-compile the electoral register for a few wards, including the wards in the town. Thus nobody's number on the register matched their number on the party's software. So the agent had to come out to the village to get people who weren't affected by the number change to sign the papers.

He's been doing this for decades. He has some really cool stories, like the time a polling station was issued with the wrong ballot papers and the police had to track down about 20 voters and get them to go back and vote again. Or the time a polling clerk scored off the wrong name on the register when someone in a hourehold voted, so that when that person showed up they were told they had already voted.

All sorts of complications. And as soon as a complication occurs, who do you call? The election agent of course. Maybe as there aren't so many Green voters it won't be as hairy.
Old 12th November 2019, 04:42 PM   #380
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

High quality candidate from the Tories:

Quote:
A former MP who lost his seat after he was convicted of a false expenses claim has been selected by the Conservatives to stand in the general election.

Chris Davies lost his Brecon and Radnorshire seat after 10,005 people signed a recall petition.

He stood again but lost a by-election to the Liberal Democrats and will now contest the Anglesey seat of Ynys Mon.

Welsh Conservative chairman Byron Davies said Mr Davies "must now be allowed to move on".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50396788

UK party of Trump IMO
Old 13th November 2019, 12:02 AM   #381
sphenisc
Philosopher

Maybe some of them will be so pissed off they'll stand as unofficial Brexit party candidates, and spoil Nigel's day.
I guess they can stand as independents, there are probably rules against them standing using the name they've got in all their publicity materials.
Old 13th November 2019, 02:22 AM   #382
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
I guess they can stand as independents, there are probably rules against them standing using the name they've got in all their publicity materials.
Probably, but this might be muddied by the Brexit party being a limited company, not a political party. In any case, they could probably get away with using the leaflets and posters they already have by stickering them with 'Independent' or some such.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:50 AM   #383
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Can the Brexit party actually stop them standing? As far as I can tell they have done all the necessary work, paid the fees and registered. Can Nigel stop them legally?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:52 AM   #384
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Can the Brexit party actually stop them standing? As far as I can tell they have done all the necessary work, paid the fees and registered. Can Nigel stop them legally?
The only thing I can think of is claiming trademark on 'The Brexit Party'.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 02:57 AM   #385
Dave Rogers

Can Nigel stop them legally?
More to the point, does he actually want to? I suspect he'd rather have something else to complain about in case we actually do leave the EU. I foresee years of him moaning about betrayal.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 13th November 2019, 04:32 AM   #386
Tolls
Illuminator

Probably, but this might be muddied by the Brexit party being a limited company, not a political party. In any case, they could probably get away with using the leaflets and posters they already have by stickering them with 'Independent' or some such.
That's what Wayne "I spent 10k, and all Nige gave me was this T-shirt" is planning on doing.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:23 AM   #387
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt there would be anything he could do against candidates who chose to instead stand as "independent anti-Brexit," or some such.
Old 13th November 2019, 08:02 AM   #388
Matthew Best
Philosopher

But they would be pro-Brexit.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #389
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Well obviously they'd BE pro-Brexit, but they'd campaign as anti-Brexit in order to split the anti-Brexit vote, thus allowing the pro-Brexit candidate who actually campaigned as pro-Brexit to win.

It's all quite simple really.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:38 PM   #390
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
D'oh!
Old 14th November 2019, 02:47 AM   #391
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Under the Conservatives' decade-long stewardship, NHS performance has fallen off a cliff.

Quote:
A&E waiting times hit worst-ever level

The data from NHS England showed 83.6% of patients arriving at A&E were treated or admitted in four hours.

The target is 95%. It has not been met since July 2015.

Other targets covering cancer and routine hospital treatment are also being missed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856

I guess the issue is that the NHS is a monolithic state enterprise, once the Tories can get around to selling it off piece by piece to US healthcare companies, performance will increase and costs will fall
Old 14th November 2019, 03:42 AM   #392
Rolfe

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Under the Conservatives' decade-long stewardship, NHS performance has fallen off a cliff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397856

I guess the issue is that the NHS is a monolithic state enterprise, once the Tories can get around to selling it off piece by piece to US healthcare companies, performance will increase and costs will fall

It's worth noting that health policy is devolved and there are four independent health services in the UK, with reciprocal agreements for treating each other's patients. Also, at least as far as Scotland is concerned, this didn't begin with devolution at the turn of the century. The Scottish NHS has always been an entirely separate beast. Performance varies quite a lot between the four organisations, and that's worth a mention.

However I take your point. I was living in England from 1982 unti 2006 and I saw a dreadful decline under Thatcher and Major, and if Blair did anything to be proud of it was that he increased investment in the NHS and brought performance up to fairly acceptable levels. When Cameron was elected I hoped that his rhetoric about protecting the NHS might even be sincere, particularly in view of his personal experience with his epileptic son, but alas it was not to be. It all seems to be back in the state it was in the 1990s, or even worse.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:31 AM   #393
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Not being flippant, but even failing to reach the 95% target, the vast majority of people are still admitted or treated within four hours, and obviously it's all about individual urgency, rather than everyone being dealt with in the order they arrive.

As it happens, what I thought was going to be a routine ECG a few weeks back (referral from GP to the hospitals drop-in service, with no specific appointment), resulted in me being immediately sent to A&E, and I was seen in less than ten minutes. They then didn't let me leave until some three hours after I'd arrived in the first place.
Old 15th November 2019, 03:56 AM   #394
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Not being flippant, but even failing to reach the 95% target, the vast majority of people are still admitted or treated within four hours, and obviously it's all about individual urgency, rather than everyone being dealt with in the order they arrive.

As it happens, what I thought was going to be a routine ECG a few weeks back (referral from GP to the hospitals drop-in service, with no specific appointment), resulted in me being immediately sent to A&E, and I was seen in less than ten minutes. They then didn't let me leave until some three hours after I'd arrived in the first place.
If not meeting the target isn't really an issue then they have the wrong targets surely? Which would be a different but equally serious problem
Old 15th November 2019, 05:27 AM   #395
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Free broadband.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 05:30 AM   #396
Rolfe

If they win three elections in a row. Don't hold your breath.

And maybe some free food for children and indeed anyone who is hungry would be a better use of the money.
Old 15th November 2019, 05:45 AM   #397
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
If not meeting the target isn't really an issue then they have the wrong targets surely? Which would be a different but equally serious problem
Of course. Targets in themselves can have adverse consequences more serious than not meeting the targets.
Old 15th November 2019, 06:25 AM   #398
Mid
Graduate Poster

Free broadband.
Government and IT what could possibly go wrong?
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 06:41 AM   #399
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Free broadband.
I hate to say it, but they almost deserve to lose if that's an early campaign pledge. It's so easy to label it as "crackpot communism" and BT has already put their own much higher (100B) costing on it.

Pathetic politics.
Old 15th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #400
Arcade22
Philosopher

Free broadband.
All new British homes are going to be carbon neutral and all homes will have 1000/1000mbit fiber broadband, even out in the country. This actually happening.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics