ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boris Johnson , Nigel Farage , uk elections , uk politics

Old 6th November 2019, 10:03 AM   #321
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
We ship from Sirius B to avoid paying VAT, will your great, great, great, great grandchild be available to sign for delivery?
Still more reliable than Yodel.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #322
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
For a little light relief, candidate from Sirius dropped https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...rius-1-6356375
Even more interesting is the news alongside it, that a Belgian band has brought out a disco version of John Bercow's 'Order!' Unlock!

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...rder-1-6356116
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:36 AM   #323
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

“Corbyn sides with Russia” says PM who refuses to publish report into Russian interference and whose party has taken £3.5m of Russian money.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:48 PM   #324
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Tom Watson has resigned as deputy leader of Labour and MP.

He's been very much a remainer to Corbyn's indecisiveness, so that can't be good.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 03:58 PM   #325
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Tom Watson has resigned as deputy leader of Labour and MP.

He's been very much a remainer to Corbyn's indecisiveness, so that can't be good.
**** !

Very bad, only the far left zealots will be left
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:07 PM   #326
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
**** !

Very bad, only the far left zealots will be left
Both Labor and the Tories seem to have been hijacked by the zealots. Not good at all.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:12 PM   #327
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Adding to my previous post, while I appreciated Tom Watson's steadfast backing of Remain, I must admit his handling of Carl Beech & Operation Midland left an awful lot to be desired.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:50 PM   #328
sphenisc
Philosopher

The Tories have failed to build any of the 200,000 starter homes they were supposed to, forcing many couples to remain in the family home. Sales of new cars have fallen. A no deal Brexit is predicted to cause a substantial shrinkage of UK GDP.

If I'm in favour of fighting Climate Change should I vote Tory?
Old 6th November 2019, 06:49 PM   #329
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
The greens are ok on some issues. Bonkers on others.
You can say that of every party, though.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:15 AM   #330
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You can say that of every party, though.
Which issues are the Tories OK on?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 02:01 AM   #331
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Adding to my previous post, while I appreciated Tom Watson's steadfast backing of Remain, I must admit his handling of Carl Beech & Operation Midland left an awful lot to be desired.
Indeed. Watson was far too credulous on that issue.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 03:35 AM   #332
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

BBC News: General Election 2019: Voters should back Johnson - ex Labour MP

Having just seen Austin on BBC Breakfast, I have to say that he came across as staggeringly insincere, and his delivery seemed more like an actor playing the part. He also accused Corbyn directly of saying and doing racist things (which may or may not be actionable), but seemed OK in urging people to vote for a party led by serial racist Boris Johnson.

On a related note, my attention was recently drawn to a Jewish press report trumpeting the fact that so many Jewish Labour voters had switched to the Lib-Dems. Apart from the fact that they'd misinterpreted the poll data in the most basic way, it actually showed that it was something 55% had switched to other parties in general, so not markedly more than the 47% other polling shows across the general population. It's also the case that only 11% of Jewish voters supported Labour in 2017, anyway.
Old 7th November 2019, 03:44 AM   #333
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
BBC News: General Election 2019: Voters should back Johnson - ex Labour MP

Having just seen Austin on BBC Breakfast, I have to say that he came across as staggeringly insincere, and his delivery seemed more like an actor playing the part. He also accused Corbyn directly of saying and doing racist things (which may or may not be actionable), but seemed OK in urging people to vote for a party led by serial racist Boris Johnson.

On a related note, my attention was recently drawn to a Jewish press report trumpeting the fact that so many Jewish Labour voters had switched to the Lib-Dems. Apart from the fact that they'd misinterpreted the poll data in the most basic way, it actually showed that it was something 55% had switched to other parties in general, so not markedly more than the 47% other polling shows across the general population. It's also the case that only 11% of Jewish voters supported Labour in 2017, anyway.
The Jewish population according to the last Census numbers apx 250,000. Compare and contrast to the 750K Scots in the UK outside Scotland whom we have been told in no uncertain terms cannot affect the General Election result so should be disregarded
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 11:51 PM   #334
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/11...eral-election/

"The Elections Taskforce will be working on issues including threat intelligence, data science, engineering, operations, legal and others. It also includes representatives from WhatsApp and Instagram.

As we get closer to the election, these people will be brought together in physical spaces in their offices Ė what we call our Operations Centre."

"We donít believe a private company like Facebook should censor politicians. This is why we donít send content or ads from politicians and political parties to our third party fact-checking partners.

This doesnít mean that politicians can say whatever they want on Facebook. They canít spread misinformation about where, when or how to vote. They canít incite violence. We wonít allow them to share content that has previously been debunked as part of our third-party fact-checking program. And we of course take down content that violates local laws. "

Lots more in the first link but nobody reads links and this is getting too long too.

One last handy thing:

"Every political and issue ad in the that runs on Facebook now goes into our Ad Library public archive that everyone can access, regardless of whether or not they have a Facebook account.

"We launched this in the UK in October 2018 and, since then, thereís been over 116,000 ads related to politics, elections, and social issues placed in the UK Ad Library. You can find all the ads that a candidate or organization is running, including how much they spent and who saw the ad. And weíre storing these ads in the Ad Library for seven years.

"Other media such as billboards, newspaper ads, direct mail, leaflets or targeted emails donít today provide this level of transparency into the ad and who is seeing them. And as a result, weíve seen a significant number of press stories regarding the election driven by the information in Facebookís Ad Library. "

Here's the link to the Facebook Ad Library (with UK selected):

https://www.facebook.com/ads/library...sions_lifetime
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 02:50 AM   #335
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. He had to go quickly, just as the Tory Welsh minister had to go quickly, so that as the election approaches, this is old news.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:58 AM   #336
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Which issues are the Tories OK on?

The other day the Tories were saying that Labourís plans for employment law would cost jobs, but Iím not sure whether that means they are in opposed to or in favour of them.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 04:10 AM   #337
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

So, the release of the report into whether there was Russian interference into the Brexit vote has been delayed, I can't find a source but I've heard until March, by which time it's likely that the result will have been implemented (or discarded).

Also, it's been announced that the police aren't going to tell us if they believe there are grounds for investigating Boris Johnson for misconduct in a public office until after the election he believes will return him to office for five years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-investigation

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 05:26 AM   #338
Garrison
Illuminator

So, the release of the report into whether there was Russian interference into the Brexit vote has been delayed, I can't find a source but I've heard until March, by which time it's likely that the result will have been implemented (or discarded).

Also, it's been announced that the police aren't going to tell us if they believe there are grounds for investigating Boris Johnson for misconduct in a public office until after the election he believes will return him to office for five years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-investigation
Which seems yet again remarkably Trumpian, we just need the police to announce they are dredging up some old allegation against Corbyn and we are right back to 2016.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:15 AM   #339
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Which seems yet again remarkably Trumpian, we just need the police to announce they are dredging up some old allegation against Corbyn and we are right back to 2016.
Well, at least a PM doesn't need the excruciating US impeachment process. Just a plain prosecution will do.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:35 AM   #340
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Well, at least a PM doesn't need the excruciating US impeachment process. Just a plain prosecution will do.
Which is exactly why this postponement should raise a few eyebrows, if you can get past the likes of the Mail publishing ever larger numbers for how much Labour's plans will cost.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:54 AM   #341
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

A Conservative candidate has actually managed to post something on social media so horrible that they have decided to step down.

Saying that benefit claimants should be killed is merely regrettable, but this will make you withdraw your candidacy:

Quote:
In one post, Mr Calvert is said to have written that if former Libyan dictator Gaddaffi wanted to walk the streets unrecognised "he should surely have fled to Bradford".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50365354
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 09:34 AM   #342
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

The Labour candidate for Edinburgh South West has also been removed after posting something pretty horrible on Twitter. Full story here.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/a-lett...ox-foundation/
Old 10th November 2019, 11:57 AM   #343
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The Labour candidate for Edinburgh South West has also been removed after posting something pretty horrible on Twitter. Full story here.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/a-lett...ox-foundation/
Honestly? If it was something more gun like than a purple spray bottle (being held up not even touching the trigger) I might be able to summon some outrage, but this seems like a legitimate, albeit unfunny joke.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 01:59 PM   #344
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Honestly? If it was something more gun like than a purple spray bottle (being held up not even touching the trigger) I might be able to summon some outrage, but this seems like a legitimate, albeit unfunny joke.
The joke is a play on the Cilit Bang slogan, 'Bang, and the dirt is gone'. As you say, not particularly funny, but hardly outrageous.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 02:08 PM   #345
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
The joke is a play on the Cilit Bang slogan, 'Bang, and the dirt is gone'. As you say, not particularly funny, but hardly outrageous.
Yes I got that, it was lame but hardly a threat..

Old 10th November 2019, 02:54 PM   #346
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Had a Brexiter MP published this meme about a Remainer MP with the words "BANG! and the traitor is gone", would it have been perceived as a threat?

Oh, I think so.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 10th November 2019 at 02:57 PM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 03:01 PM   #347
GlennB

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Had a Brexiter MP published this meme about a Remainer MP with the words "BANG! and the traitor is gone", would it have been perceived as a threat?

Oh, I think so.
Agreed. For my money the tweet is vile. I'd certainly want to see a candidate showing much better judgement, to put it mildly.

Does twitter drive its users slightly insane?
Old 10th November 2019, 03:32 PM   #348
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Given that the person who tweeted it went through the Jo Cox programme for women in leadership, and Jo Cox was shot, I'd say she didn't learn much common sense while she was in the programme. Also the MP she tweeted it about has required police protection due to credible death threats.

I think she got the boot as much for being a brainless idiot with no sense of what was appropriate as anything else. Admittedly if you applied that across the board there would be a lot fewer MPs.
Old 11th November 2019, 02:18 AM   #349
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Given that the person who tweeted it went through the Jo Cox programme for women in leadership, and Jo Cox was shot, I'd say she didn't learn much common sense while she was in the programme. Also the MP she tweeted it about has required police protection due to credible death threats.

I think she got the boot as much for being a brainless idiot with no sense of what was appropriate as anything else. Admittedly if you applied that across the board there would be a lot fewer MPs.
Meh, I have made this point before. This is no worse than calling people scum. I like Mhairi Black and I am pleased her colourful Twitter past wasn't held against her by the SNP.
I understand why people jump on the slightest thing an opposition party member does while laughing off comments by their own party members as youthful japes or humour that in hindsight is inappropriate.
We want the best candidates standing for election. They may not be the ones with the most boring past. I am more interested in how people behave now and in the future than in the lessons they have learned from their past.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 02:34 AM   #350
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wyld Bird Seed is now a four-piece band rather than a five piece because the other guitarist has decided that to knock it on the head. I was on ultimate-guitar writing down the chords for the guitar solo for Rikki Don't Lose That Number so that Mrs Don can add some keyboards while I play the solo.

Imagine my disgust when, despite having add blockers installed, Boris Johnson's face and "Get Brexit Done" was displayed in the bottom left of the screen
Old 11th November 2019, 02:44 AM   #351
Lothian
should be banned

One positive thing, possibly the only one, out of brexit, it that it has shown that politics is not black and white down party lines. While I have a strong opinion it is nice to see people on different sides of political fence coming together finding common ground and recognising similarities.

This all makes the election even more depressing. Tory and Labour this election are both planning to borrow heavily to deliver their promises. Listen to the parties however and "They are sensibly investing in the future and the opposition are reckless wasters" Labour and the SNP divided by a fag paper on many issues will oppose each other as only siblings can, no doubt to then fight together arm in arm once the election is over.

It would be really nice to have some honesty in the debates so we can see where parties agree and where they differ and exactly by how much.

I am sure that polling and focus groups have shown that being emotionally dishonest and overplaying rhetoric pays in the polls but it doesn't help when people want to weigh up the arguments objectively.
Old 11th November 2019, 05:33 AM   #352
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

So it seems the Brexit Party are going to stand down in Tory seats. So much for not doing a deal. Knew it would happen.
Old 11th November 2019, 06:04 AM   #353
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
So it seems the Brexit Party are going to stand down in Tory seats. So much for not doing a deal. Knew it would happen.
Was there ever really a doubt ?

A nod and a wink between the two parties, Boris Johnson will do his best to ensure a no-deal and the Brexit Party will do everything it can to ensure that he's Prime Minister.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:26 AM   #354
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Was there ever really a doubt ?

A nod and a wink between the two parties, Boris Johnson will do his best to ensure a no-deal and the Brexit Party will do everything it can to ensure that he's Prime Minister.
About the only thing they could do now is find a hole, climb in it, and vanish until after the election. When your selection process failed to weed out a candidate claiming to come form another star system and Nigel Farage is in charge of the whole sorry mess the last thing Boris needs is his new 'ally' coming under more press scrutiny.
Old 11th November 2019, 03:23 PM   #355
Vixen
Suspended

I've had an email from the Labour Party asking me to donate 'a £1'. I donated £3. <shrug> If everybody does that...
Old 11th November 2019, 03:57 PM   #356
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Something to notice about the Brexit Party being a limited company.
Limited companies do not have to disclose their donations or funding. Unlike political parties.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 04:25 PM   #357
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Something to notice about the Brexit Party being a limited company.
Limited companies do not have to disclose their donations or funding. Unlike political parties.
That must be illegal, surely?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 04:28 AM   #358
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nigel Farage told Eddie Mair "of course" he will not refund the dropped Brexit Party candidates, after deciding not to stand his party against the Conservatives in 317 seats.

Quote:
Eddie Mair asked: "Would you refund the money would-be candidates have spent?"
Farage said that he "warned them all, face to face, that if circumstances changed" then there might be a different "situation".

He said: "I'm sorry to the people that have put their time and their money on the line."

Eddie then asked: "How much money how much money have you raked in with these non-refundable £100s?"

Farage told Eddie that 3000 people applied to be candidates.

Eddie asked if they were going to be recompensed.

Nigel Farage said: "Of course not. We're a political party set up to deliver a proper Brexit. We have reset the political agenda this year in the most astonishing way."
https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...andidates-mair

Quote:
"I'm not going to refund their money. They put their faith in me to do the right thing and the vast majority of them, this afternoon, agree with what I've done."
Grifters gonna grift.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th November 2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 04:37 AM   #359
GlennB

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Nigel Farage told Eddie Mair "of course" he will not refund the dropped Brexit Party candidates, after deciding not to stand his party against the Conservatives in 317 seats.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...andidates-mair

Grifters gonna grift.
300k? Nice return for little effort. And the money is going to a limited company so can be paid out as directors' fees and suchlike?
Old 12th November 2019, 04:43 AM   #360
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Maybe some of them will be so pissed off they'll stand as unofficial Brexit party candidates, and spoil Nigel's day.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics