ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:30 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Wink Customer support (or lack of)

I'm a small-time gambler and opened an internet account with bookie Paddy Power. At the time they dealt with customers in Greece when other major bookies had been warned off by Greece, which has a state-run gambling system.

Paddy Power was then similarly warned off and closed my account at short notice, leaving my balance (a paltry €40 or so) in limbo, plus some open bets. I can't even use their chat support, as I'm unable to log in.

Paddy P has failed to respond to three emails to their support system, but there is a phone number. The website gethuman.com analyses connection times to get a response from such numbers. Paddy Power has an average response time of 89 minutes

Nice work. Offer support methods and then make them useless. Pocket customer money with plausible deniability.

Last edited by GlennB; 5th December 2019 at 03:31 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:36 AM   #2
Worm
Illuminator

Have you tried engaging on social media? I've had companies respond on Twitter in the past, when they failed to do so by email or phone.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:47 AM   #3
GlennB

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Have you tried engaging on social media? I've had companies respond on Twitter in the past, when they failed to do so by email or phone.
They do have a twitter option but I have no twitter account, and don't want one. I'd also have to use a VPN as any access from a Greek IP is blocked from the outset.
Old 5th December 2019, 05:04 AM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

Get the Opera browser. It has a built in vpn.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:30 AM   #5
GlennB

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Get the Opera browser. It has a built in vpn.
That doesn't help as the account has been summarily closed. The VPN just gets me to the twitter option and I have no desire whatsoever to open a twitter account just for this.

I don't especially mind losing the money, it's just the sheer 'bugger you' attitude of the service that rankles.

Any cashout is obliged by law to go to the original source of the deposit, i.e. my credit card. They could have done that themselves in a flash.
Old 5th December 2019, 12:21 PM   #6
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
That doesn't help as the account has been summarily closed. The VPN just gets me to the twitter option and I have no desire whatsoever to open a twitter account just for this.

I don't especially mind losing the money, it's just the sheer 'bugger you' attitude of the service that rankles.

Any cashout is obliged by law to go to the original source of the deposit, i.e. my credit card. They could have done that themselves in a flash.
Which is exactly what Pokerstars did for me several years ago after they were forced out of the US market. I don't recall the exact amount of my balance at the time, but I think it was less than $100, which was promptly refunded. Customers of another major online poker site (I don't recall the name) were not so lucky, and it came out that that company had been playing fast and loose with player accounts, and basically got caught short when the US government began enforcing the online gambling ban (which for some reason doesn't include fantasy sport leagues, but that's whole different can of worms).

Last edited by CORed; 5th December 2019 at 12:23 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet