ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th December 2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Music making...?

Many computers ago I had a "program" called "Music Maker 2005," with which I merrily whiled away many afternoons creating vile techno pastiche pieces of "music" in order to annoy my friends and relatives.

My question to the forum is: Is there a current free (or nearly) version of this type of thing available (strictly legal, of course)?

Is there more than one? If so, which is the best?

Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Yours in humble supplication,
Mr Brainache.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Don't know if this is what you want.

https://magix-music-studio-2005-delu....informer.com/
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 05:44 PM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

I hear Audacity is pretty good. I am about to start using it for podcasts and the like. Might be worth a shot.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I hear Audacity is pretty good. I am about to start using it for podcasts and the like. Might be worth a shot.
It is pretty good.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 06:57 PM   #5
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Don't know if this is what you want.

https://magix-music-studio-2005-delu....informer.com/
Bewdy Norm. That's just what the doctor ordered! (I think. I haven't tried it yet. It might be loaded with toxic malware; in which case: Garn git ******, ya ****...)

ETA: Not what the doctor ordered, I'm afraid. Bloody thing won't run on my computer. I'll try that other thing the other boffins suggested.

Last edited by Brainache; 19th December 2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Boffinfail.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 07:11 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I use Audacity all the time. But it's for editing the music you provide rather than creating music (as far as I know).
Old 19th December 2019, 07:15 PM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I use Audacity all the time. But it's for editing the music you provide rather than creating music (as far as I know).
Oh, I understood it as him clipping songs together.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Oh, I understood it as him clipping songs together.
I was probably a bit unclear, but yes I meant some sort of editing software that comes with a library of public domain music samples. Drum tracks, snippets of various instruments etc that can be mashed together into something like this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Strange Women - Mr Brainache

Now I have Audacity, I can go find the samples all by myself.

Thanks Norm and Plague311, but most of all thanks to the fine people at Audacity, without whom this would not have been possible...
Old 19th December 2019, 08:57 PM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I was probably a bit unclear, but yes I meant some sort of editing software that comes with a library of public domain music samples. Drum tracks, snippets of various instruments etc that can be mashed together into something like this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Strange Women - Mr Brainache

Now I have Audacity, I can go find the samples all by myself.

Thanks Norm and Plague311, but most of all thanks to the fine people at Audacity, without whom this would not have been possible...
There are a couple extra steps if you want to export to mp3. It has to do with downloading an encoder, I think. Instructions should be easy to find on the net.
Old 20th December 2019, 03:51 AM   #10
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
There are a couple extra steps if you want to export to mp3. It has to do with downloading an encoder, I think. Instructions should be easy to find on the net.
The extra step involves using the LAME MP3 encoder, which is available as a free download. I have Audacity on my laptop, but I've gotten to where I never use it (only keep it as a backup); if you can use it, you can also use Reaper. In fact, I found Reaper to be more intuitive as far as its layout; there are a lot of features I've never used, but it does have some bells-and-whistles Audacity does not. You will still need the LAME download, when you get ready to mix-down (what they call "Render"). According to that Reaper download page, the software is functional as a trial for 60 days, then you buy. But, just between us chickens...I've been using the version I downloaded 801 days ago with (AFAICT) no loss of function. You have to put up with a nag screen, but, assuming they haven't changed it, you just wait it out and you're good to go.

Don't know if this is what Brainache needs or not- I'm just assuming that if Audacity will work, then Reaper will, with a little more flexibility and function. I use it for song composition- I paste together drum clips (including fills, percussion, cymbals, etc.) and record/mix guitar parts for original compositions, then, when they're in good enough rough shape, submit them as scratch demos to a site called Kompoz, where you can find other musicians world-wide (vocalists, bassists, drummers, keyboard players, etc.) to collaborate and flesh out your bare bones; you can also contribute to other folks' music. I've had pretty decent success there with most of my stuff, turned a couple of just-decent guitar sketches into actual fully-realized songs, with input from the right musicians. There are different levels of membership- IIRC, the basic free level allows you to contribute to as many different projects of other people as you like, and (I think) begin three or four of your own. I have the highest-level membership, which allows unlimited projects, and other goodies, and this level is only $20/month.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 20th December 2019 at 05:07 AM. Reason: spelling
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2019, 04:18 AM   #11
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The last patents for .mp3 have expired some time ago so LAME etc should be perfectly legal and come together with the software these days.

I had some fun with ReBirth back in the days and just went looking if there is something like this for my Android tablet. Found Acid Machine which runs in your browser. Neat.

ACIIIIID!
Old 21st December 2019, 10:49 AM   #12
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I hope we see more work from Brainache and others in the thread.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2019, 11:17 AM   #13
xjx388
Philosopher

If you have a Mac, GarageBand is a modern Magix MusicMaker equivalent and it comes free in every Mac. Comes with many loops and virtual instruments and there are many more you can get cheaply.

I used Magix back in the day and now GarageBand is my go to. I’ll post something from each when I get back home.
Old 21st December 2019, 12:03 PM   #14
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

GarageBand is decent.

You can also go to https://www.audiotool.com and do it online.
Old 22nd December 2019, 03:33 AM   #15
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

If you're after some proper music-making software, then Reaper is IMO the best DAW on the market. It's not technically free, but you get 2 months free trial of the fully-functional software and after that it operates on the honour system - which means that you can continue using it for free indefinitely beyond the trial period, and as and when you do buy a license (which is ridiculously cheap), it's entirely up to you which license you pay for and there's no difference in functionality between the two.

You also get a tonne of updates free. One licence entitles you to all updates until the end of the next version. So Reaper 6 dropped just a few weeks ago (it's now on 6.02), and your licence will remain valid until Reaper 8 is released. Not only is that likely to be a long time in the future (it's about 4 years between releases, so your licence should entitle you to updates for the next 8 years or so), but if you choose not to upgrade then you can still use the previous version with no penalty. It's possible that this operates on the honour system, too, although I don't actually know. I've honestly never heard of anybody not paying for it, even if they intended to stay on the free trial forever, because it's both cheap and awesome.

If you're not used to using a proper DAW you'll find it has a steep learning curve, but it's incredibly deep, powerful, and customisable. The manual is great, and there are a million tutorial videos out there, as well as helpful forums.
Old 22nd December 2019, 08:58 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I hope we see more work from Brainache and others in the thread.
Maybe even hear it!
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:21 AM   #17
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Here's a link to my Kompoz profile page; there are four songs there that I consider my "spotlight" tunes. "Solace" and "Presque Vu" are pretty well finished, as in having had the final mix/mastering done ("Solace" by a nephew of mine in Oregon to whom I sent the separate files, "Presque Vu" by a Kompoz collaborator in Italy who also played the drums for it). "Mrs Grales (Chance Of A Ghost)" and "Gunslinger" are the mixes I've done (in Reaper for the most part), not yet mastered, but pretty much the final arrangements. You can read there, in the notes for each tune, who did what; all of them started with song concepts and guitar compositions of mine which (kind of surprisingly) survived in their initial arrangements to the final ones (with "Presque Vu," I actually cut almost the first minute of my guitar part, since I liked the piano part so much- I don't come in until around 0:53 or so). "Solace" and "Presque Vu" were started in Reaper; the other two began as recordings in my old Boss BR1600 (a stand-alone 16-track digital recorder which I bought in 2004 and don't use anymore), and then transferred as .wav files to Reaper on my laptop and given the drum tracks (as clips pasted together) and other additions (bass, vocals, and keyboards) you hear- all in Reaper.

So...yeah, Reaper can be a little intimidating if you're not familiar at all with DAWs- but, I think, pretty intuitive if you have some little experience with them; and you can get some pretty decent results from it.

ETA- those songs can be played directly from that page- just mouse over the associated picture and press play- or you can click on "Select" and get, for some of them at least, a little history/discussion.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 22nd December 2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling, clarity, ETA
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2019, 11:59 AM   #18
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

You can get more than "pretty decent" results from Reaper. There are some professional producers that use it (although Pro Tools is more common because Pro Tools is more common), but it is reportedly the DAW of choice for video game companies. Ubisoft is one company that uses it, and Harmonix is another.

So you can get results that are just as good as another other professional-level DAW.
Old 22nd December 2019, 03:37 PM   #19
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

So, two artists who use Reaper are Dom & Roland, and Tycho. That means that these tracks were produced on Reaper:

I AGREE

I AGREE

So you can definitely get completely professional-sounding tracks out of it.
Old 22nd December 2019, 04:02 PM   #20
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

In the past I've checked out quite a few Linux distributions that were geared around multimedia production, but unfortunately I found that most were just too bug-filled and glitchy out-of-the-box to be able to reliably use. They often had the latest and greatest in open source software installed, of course, but without things having been properly configured and tuned so that the programs worked well together - if they worked at all. I then lucked upon a distribution called Studio 13.37 geared around music production that actually seemed to behave as advertised.

It's a derivative of Puppy Linux that can be booted from a dvd or thumb drive (or from a CD with an older "lite" version) and run entirely in memory - making it a quick and responsive turnkey system. It also has a real time kernel that the music software has been compiled against allowing for low latency in the software chain.

The guy responsible for the distribution is selling the latest version for around $50 for a downloadable .iso file and for a bit more if delivered on a thumb drive, but some of the older versions have been made available as free .iso downloads.

If anyone here is interested in checking out some of the best Linux has to offer in the way of audio software - and when things are working as they are supposed to - I would recommend downloading one of these older versions and trying some stuff out. Everything including output files can be kept on the thumb drive or dvd, or you can install the distribution and/or save output files to your hard drive. (I personally just copy the system files in the .iso image to a folder and then add an entry to my GRUB boot loader to boot directly from my hard drive from the start as opposed to having to mess with a dvd or thumb drive.)

Version 2.4 is the latest free version, which you can find here along with some older versions:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WVUTWY4cEJmaXM

The latest commercial version is 3.3. Here's the website that gives more details as to what software is included and whatnot:

http://studio1337.pro/

If I were ready to work up some tracks, I would definitely consider buying the latest version to get the more up to date software releases even though the basic programs themselves are available for free. Lots of things have to work together with this sort of music production setup and so the tweaks and optimizations that this guy has added so that everything runs smoothly and reliably would be, I believe, well worth what he charges. The older versions are certainly still usable, though.

Reaper supposedly works in this setup too, btw, using WINE.

Last edited by Shepherd; 22nd December 2019 at 04:49 PM.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2019, 05:36 AM   #21
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Out of curiosity, I googled Magix Music Maker. Well, if you want something like that, legally, for free, then you could do worse than Magix Music Maker. It's available for free on the official website.
Old 23rd December 2019, 04:02 PM   #22
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Many computers ago I had a "program" called "Music Maker 2005," with which I merrily whiled away many afternoons creating vile techno pastiche pieces of "music" in order to annoy my friends and relatives.

My question to the forum is: Is there a current free (or nearly) version of this type of thing available (strictly legal, of course)?

Is there more than one? If so, which is the best?

Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Yours in humble supplication,
Mr Brainache.
Ask a rapper or some such because they obviously make what they consider music without having a lick of musical talent.

"What key is that in?"

"I just hits the "X" key and it makes this low bass sound yo"

"So the key of "X" - man I didn't know you a musician, brah!"

"You should see my lyrics..."

I've used Garage Band on my iPad a few times for prototyping. Are you a musician? Haven't seen that mentioned yet.
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:38 PM   #23
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Ask a rapper or some such because they obviously make what they consider music without having a lick of musical talent.

"What key is that in?"

"I just hits the "X" key and it makes this low bass sound yo"

"So the key of "X" - man I didn't know you a musician, brah!"

"You should see my lyrics..."

I've used Garage Band on my iPad a few times for prototyping. Are you a musician? Haven't seen that mentioned yet.

OK, Boomer.
Old 24th December 2019, 03:30 AM   #24
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Dave is a classically trained pianist:

I AGREE
Old 24th December 2019, 07:09 AM   #25
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
OK, Boomer.

Now that's ******* funny because I was thinking the same thing.

Old 25th December 2019, 11:20 AM   #26
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

I'm relatively sure that this has turned up on Humble Bundle at some point so it's may be worthwhile checking them once a week to see what's new and\or useful (they've moved from mostly games to mostly utility so there's normally something that you may find interesting)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2019, 12:47 PM   #27
Ron Obvious
Scholar

Now that's ******* funny because I was thinking the same thing.
We Boomers had the best music. Your barbs fail to sting, coming as they do from an inferiority complex.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2019, 01:56 PM   #28
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
We Boomers had the best music. Your barbs fail to sting, coming as they do from an inferiority complex.
This is heavy with irony because “OK, boomer” is a response to out of touch arrogance and not your generational age.

So... OK, boomer.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2019, 02:07 PM   #29
Ron Obvious
Scholar

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
This is heavy with irony because “OK, boomer” is a response to out of touch arrogance and not your generational age.

So... OK, boomer.
As long as we understand each other.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2019, 11:02 PM   #30
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Haha, more than any other forum JREF makes me feel young.

Grew up on 50s/60s/70s pop, folk and rock and asides from a handful of exceptions it was a pretty terrible time for this Gen X’er.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2019, 04:09 AM   #31
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

How old do you have to be to be all "get off my lawn!" about a genre that's been around since the 70s?
Old 29th December 2019, 10:16 PM   #32
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Out of curiosity, I googled Magix Music Maker. Well, if you want something like that, legally, for free, then you could do worse than Magix Music Maker. It's available for free on the official website.
Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Mr Beckenheim.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet