ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags google , ReCAPTCHA

Old 20th December 2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Google ReCAPTCHA

Am I the only one on the web that hates Google ReCAPTCHA? You know, "Click all the images that have TRAFFIC LIGHTS"?

I HATE them! I hate the fact they're so damned ambigious. Is a square where there is only a little bit of the flange of the light fixture supposed to be clicked on not? What about the pedestrian cross-walk light? Or the teeny-tiny set of lights three blocks down the road that you can just barely make out?

And then you get another. And another. AND ANOTHER! Sometimes I've had to solve up to eight of them before I get a "pass."

One comment I read on Slashdot, albeit unconfirmed, is if you get too many wrong Google will tell the website "this is a robot" but still continue to give the user challenges. If this is true, then if you get challenge after challenge you don't know if you should continue solving them or if you should just give up, clear everything out, and try again.

Two other things I hate about them. First, Google is using my labour, without compensation, to train their image matching AI. One of the richest companies on the planet and they're making people work for them for free. Secondly, there are other ways web site developers can manage spurious blog comments and robot signups without having to resort to pissing on their visitors.

And don't tell me that I should just not bother visiting the site. All too often I hit these damned things in order to sign up to a site to report bugs in their products, or to get access to services that pretty much only that site offers.

And finally, the sites that are using the ReCAPTCHA simply don't seem to care. Google sure as hell doesn't care about me getting pissed off at then, and any site that I've contacted about their use of it, whether I'm polite about it or impolite, usually simply ignores my complaint.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What, you believed a giant tech company when it said "Don't be evil"?
Old 20th December 2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

The OP's post made me realize that it has been a long time since I've seen one of these. These days I seem just to be asked to click on a checkable box labeled CAPTCHA. Then I am allowed to proceed. What is going on behind the scenes I have no idea.
Old 20th December 2019, 07:55 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

My impression is that rather than training its AI, it's a way to log your IP (although they probably have it anyway, I don't know.)

I've found that there are ever only three or four selections required. And my impression is that yours are compared to other responses to get a crowdsourced answer. Kind of like the galaxy-checking app where you identify the way the swirls go, and if most answers agree, that's how they log it.

I don't see recaptchas too often, fortunately, and consider it a minor inconvenience most of the time for a service I want. That is, until they start putting ads in there -- "Click on the four products you like the most!" Then I'm done.
Old 20th December 2019, 10:48 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
The OP's post made me realize that it has been a long time since I've seen one of these. These days I seem just to be asked to click on a checkable box labeled CAPTCHA. Then I am allowed to proceed. What is going on behind the scenes I have no idea.

What's going on is that Google knows more about you than your mother does and has decided that you are human but harmless.

Blue Mountain likely uses Linux and is less transparent than the bulk of people that show up on these sites, which makes Google nervous. I have literally written an eMail filter that sends the "Someone logged in to your account with a Linux machine. Was that you?" mails from twitter straight to Trash.
Old 20th December 2019, 11:10 PM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
If you were a computer your mouse would head straight for the box. If you were a human it would go all over the place.

Of course any programmer worth their salt would program the mouse to move in a chaotic pattern. Then it may be hard to tell the difference.
Old 21st December 2019, 02:28 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Google actually has an app you can download called "Crowd source" that you can contribute to by identifying hand written text, photos and some other stuff, it uses that data for machine learning and other things, such as human learning
Old 21st December 2019, 03:49 AM   #8
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Obligatory XKCD.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2019, 04:38 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Am I the only one on the web that hates Google ReCAPTCHA? You know, "Click all the images that have TRAFFIC LIGHTS"?
I only see those at work, for some reason. And yes, they are annoying. I don't know what idiot thought they were a good idea.

Quote:
Two other things I hate about them. First, Google is using my labour, without compensation, to train their image matching AI. One of the richest companies on the planet and they're making people work for them for free.
They do it everywhere. Youtube is using you to train their AI to sell you stuff.

We're product, not customers.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2019, 07:03 AM   #10
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Don't blame google, blame sites using recaptcha. Goggle actually isn't using it on their sites, or is it ?
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2019, 07:55 AM   #11
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Don't blame google, blame sites using recaptcha. Goggle actually isn't using it on their sites, or is it ?

Google owns all sites that use their "services". Or at least their users.
Old 21st December 2019, 08:04 AM   #12
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My impression is that rather than training its AI, it's a way to log your IP (although they probably have it anyway, I don't know.)

I've found that there are ever only three or four selections required. And my impression is that yours are compared to other responses to get a crowdsourced answer. Kind of like the galaxy-checking app where you identify the way the swirls go, and if most answers agree, that's how they log it.
Sometimes I've had to solve as few as three. Other times I've solved eight in a row with no end in sight. Then I have to shut down the browser session, clear everything out, and try again. (I have a "scrap" browser session for this sort of stuff.)

Quote:
I don't see recaptchas too often, fortunately, and consider it a minor inconvenience most of the time for a service I want. That is, until they start putting ads in there -- "Click on the four products you like the most!" Then I'm done.
I've never seen that one.

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
What's going on is that Google knows more about you than your mother does and has decided that you are human but harmless.
I think that's a . Or is it ?

Quote:
Blue Mountain likely uses Linux and is less transparent than the bulk of people that show up on these sites, which makes Google nervous. I have literally written an eMail filter that sends the "Someone logged in to your account with a Linux machine. Was that you?" mails from twitter straight to Trash.
Yes, I use Linux, and have a Pi-hole ad-blocker, and use Ghostery, NoScript, Privacy Badger, and uBlock Origin in my browser. On top of that my /etc/hosts file blocks quite a few Google hosts and as many Facebook hosts as I could find. (More on that later.)

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Obligatory XKCD.
Code:
[img]https://xkcd.com/2228/[img]
Errr ... your qimg tag links to an HTML page and not an image file.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I only see those at work, for some reason. And yes, they are annoying. I don't know what idiot thought they were a good idea.
In one way they are a good idea, just implemented in one of the most frustrating ways possible.

Now, I solved the "bot" issue on one site myself by using a hidden field on an HTML form. Bots will click on the button and/or fill out the field every time. Humans won't because it doesn't appear on the screen (it's shifted 10,000 pixels to the left using CSS) and is outside of the normal "tabindex" order.

Quote:
They do it everywhere. Youtube is using you to train their AI to sell you stuff.
Can you elaborate on this thought? Due to all my ad bockers I very rarely see ads on YouTube. Unfortunately YouTube has too much content I'm interested in, so I can't blacklist them. Maybe I should explore Vimeo instead.

Quote:
We're product, not customers.
That much I'm aware of. It's one of the things I hate about the modern web.

This. Very much this! These sites are programmed by lazy, incompetent developers. They simply assume the ReCAPTCHA code will load and don't bother checking to ensure it did. After all, who doesn't love Big Brother Google and doesn't use their search, mail, docs and dozens of other products (or the 100 or so they've killed off over the years)?

Very often I fill out a form, click "Submit" and 1) nothing happens or 2) I get a message I didn't complete the CAPTCHA. Then I have to move my hosts file out of the way, load up a browser session that has all my privacy and ad blocking extensions disabled, and try the form again.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2019, 08:21 AM   #13
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I think that's a . Or is it ?

More like a .
Old 21st December 2019, 10:12 AM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Obligatory XKCD.
Is not showing up, at least for me. By quoting I see gimg tags so I can at least look for it myself.
Old 21st December 2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I never had issue with Recaptcha actually not working. I often have issues reading the signs scrambled to oblivion, or guessing if 1 pixel of possible fire hydrant counts.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2019, 07:31 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yes they do, at the office I'm working at the moment if you use their internal network to access google.com you often get Google saying something is suspicious and asks you to complete a recaptcha.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet