ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #3041
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

It appears that Fox News is now relying on Trump to broadcast its output. We already know they make up their content to play to him alone. I can just imagine...

"Hi Donny! Good morning! How are you today? OK, it's time to listen to us now. So eyes front and sit up straight. We have important stuff to tell you that you need to tweet urgently. Here's what you are going to say today..."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #3042
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It appears that Fox News is now relying on Trump to broadcast its output. We already know they make up their content to play to him alone. I can just imagine...

"Hi Donny! Good morning! How are you today? OK, it's time to listen to us now. So eyes front and sit up straight. We have important stuff to tell you that you need to tweet urgently. Here's what you are going to say today..."

Like a backwards Truman Show?
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #3043
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Like a backwards Truman Show?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #3044
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

I wonder how much Trump pays him?
Probably the payment comes out of some slush fund Trump doesn't care about.
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #3045
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Probably the payment comes out of some slush fund Trump doesn't care about.

Committee for the Re-Election of the President?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #3046
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Trump is angry at Giuliani after his latest interviews

Furthermore, Buzzfeed reportedly has documentary evidence contradicting Giuliani's statements about Trump Tower Moscow
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #3047
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Giuliani says he's afraid his gravestone will read "he lied for Trump"
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #3048
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

I wonder how likely it is that, at some point, Rupert Murdoch realises that if Trump goes down, he's going to take at least the Faux News part of his media empire down with it, and so unhitches his wagon from the Trump Train Wreck.

If that happened, I wonder what that spin would look like.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #3049
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wonder how likely it is that, at some point, Rupert Murdoch realises that if Trump goes down, he's going to take at least the Faux News part of his media empire down with it, and so unhitches his wagon from the Trump Train Wreck.

They'll just need to wait for a particular thing to come out or happen (documentary evidence of Trump doing something that nobody can deny is a felony, or perhaps something like caving on the wall), and they can talk about how he's not the man they thought he was, how he betrayed them and America, etc. Basically the same line that other right-wing pundits such as Ann Coulter have taken when it's looked like turning on him was the right thing to do.
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #3050
3point14
Pi

They'll just need to wait for a particular thing to come out or happen (documentary evidence of Trump doing something that nobody can deny is a felony, or perhaps something like caving on the wall), and they can talk about how he's not the man they thought he was, how he betrayed them and America, etc. Basically the same line that other right-wing pundits such as Ann Coulter have taken when it's looked like turning on him was the right thing to do.
For a rather specific definition of "the right thing to do."
Old Today, 04:16 AM   #3051
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, there was an implied "for the sake of their own careers" on the end of that.
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #3052
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Committee for the Re-Election of the President?
How about the Committee for the Re-Election of Trump In November?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #3053
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I think it would have to be more damning than "just" a felony. There didn't seem to be a lot of angst on the right about the Trump suborning perjury when the Buzzfeed article first came out.
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #3054
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I think it would have to be more damning than "just" a felony. There didn't seem to be a lot of angst on the right about the Trump suborning perjury when the Buzzfeed article first came out.
Yeah, but that wasn't proven and, indeed, may be false.

Anyway, the point isn't that we're talking about what would make Fox News go "OMG! I've legitimately been bamboozled!", we're talking about what would make Fox News go "welp, supporting Trump is no longer going to help us and, in fact is starting to harm us. This looks like something we can use as an excuse for ending our support."
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #3055
Paul2
Illuminator

I think it would have to be more damning than "just" a felony.
Kill someone on Park Avenue?

Get an abortion?

Change his name to Donallaquon?

Sign a tax hike?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #3056
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Because it wasn't credible.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #3057
dasmiller

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Kill someone on Park Avenue?
Maybe. But I'm sure he'd come up with a justification, and a lot of his base would buy it.

Quote:
Get an abortion?
Interesting. You know, if almost anyone else did it and then said, "It was many years ago, it was a foolish and terrible thing that I deeply regret and I'm working to make sure that nobody else makes that mistake," they would probably be forgiven. But Trump, admit he made a foolish and terrible mistake? Can't happen. This would be problematic for him.

But, of course, it wouldn't be him. It would be some girl that he knocked up, and he'd disavow her actions.

Quote:
Change his name to Donallaquon?
lol

Quote:
Sign a tax hike?
He'd blame the Democrats for keeping so many costly and cownerp counpern counterproctiv bad social programs that raising taxes was the only physically fishscale fiscally resonsp covfefe thing to do.

Maybe if there was actually a tape where he talked about trading sanctions for some business advantage. Or insulting part of his base, or selling out part of his base for a business advantage.

I can see that I've gotten pretty jaded about this.
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #3058
dasmiller

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Because it wasn't credible.
Cohen lied to Congress to protect Trump after discussing with Trump exactly what Cohen was going to say to Congress, and it's not credible that Trump suggested that Cohen lie? It's more credible that Cohen risked perjury charges against Trump's wishes, and that Trump simply forgot to set the record straight?

Nevermind. Let's simply accept that you and I simply live in different universes.
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #3059
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

They'll just need to wait for a particular thing to come out or happen (documentary evidence of Trump doing something that nobody can deny is a felony, or perhaps something like caving on the wall), and they can talk about how he's not the man they thought he was, how he betrayed them and America, etc.
Why would they need to do that?

If evidence builds up that even the most die-hard Trump supporter can't deny is condemning, all Fox would have to do is forget that they ever supported Trump, switch all their programming to point out all of the Democrat's faults, real or imagined (I'm sure they could get a little more mileage out of "uranium 1" and other fake stories), and wait for the next republican Candidate to gush over.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #3060
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How about the Committee for the Re-Election of Trump In November?
Committee Of Real Republicans Under President Trump

You know, to differentiate themselves from BRINOs.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:13 AM   #3061
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Talking

Cohen lied to Congress to protect Trump after discussing with Trump exactly what Cohen was going to say to Congress, and it's not credible that Trump suggested that Cohen lie? It's more credible that Cohen risked perjury charges against Trump's wishes, and that Trump simply forgot to set the record straight?

Nevermind. Let's simply accept that you and I simply live in different universes.
Claims without evidence have a credibility problem.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #3062
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Committee Of Real Republicans Under President Trump
Works too.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #3063
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You know, this must be a really tough time to be editor of The Onion. Reality keeps coming up with stuff that would be too crazy even for them.
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #3064
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Quote:
"I have a sense of ethics that is as high as anybody you can imagine," Giuliani added. "I’ve been doing this forever. I am doing what I believe in. I may not always be right, but I am doing what I believe. And I believe [Trump] has been treated horribly."
He's channelling Trump.
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #3065
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He's channelling Trump.
Maybe when he says "sense of ethics that is as high as anybody you can imagine", he means he's drugged his sense of ethics into senselessness?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #3066
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

A legal expert opines on legal issues related to the Mueller investigation:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/opini...nig/index.html

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics