ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer

Old 10th November 2017, 07:50 AM   #321
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
I meant, can an atoms or molecules of a substance be so modifies that all radiations come from it in individual radiation form not in spectrum form?
I feel, it may be difficult to molecularized or atomized a substance, still in substance form of many type of stone/molecules.
Let's get a few things clear:

1: All radiation is in individual form (wavelength). A spectrum just means that you have a mixture of different wavelengths.

2: Individual atoms and molecules are too small to reflect visible light.

3: They do however absorb some light energy. This is used in spectrography, where you can detect even minute amounts of substance in a sample.

4: The reflected light we see from an object depends on many things; the structure of the substance, the texture of the surface, and, of course, the character of the incoming light.

I don't know if this makes you any wiser.

Hans
Old 10th November 2017, 08:11 AM   #322
Pixel42
Schr÷dinger's cat

Once again, Kumar: this is a discussion forum, not a teaching forum. There are lots of places on the internet where you can acquire the education you appear to be lacking, but this isn't really one of them There will be a limit to the willingness of even the most patient posters to correct your ignorance. If you want to discuss a topic you would be better advised to acquire some basic knowledge and understanding of it elsewhere before raising it for discussion here.
Old 10th November 2017, 08:23 AM   #323
sackett
Philosopher

Still not your culture, Kumar.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 08:32 AM   #324
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Except it, every other thing is relevant.
First you must take THIS into account!

Quote:
Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is healing.

The planet is bursting with meridians. Gratitude is the deeper meaning of inspiration, and of us.

The goal of a resonance cascade is to plant the seeds of karma rather than stagnation.

We exist as morphic resonance. You and I are travellers of the galaxy. We believe, we grow, we are reborn.

If you have never experienced this explosion at the quantum level, it can be difficult to self-actualize. Have you found your journey? How should you navigate this spatial cosmos?

You must take a stand against greed. You may be ruled by greed without realizing it. Do not let it exterminate the growth of your circuit. Delusion is the antithesis of consciousness.

To go along the mission is to become one with it.
It is time to take karma to the next level. The Goddess will give us access to technological growth. It is in summoning that we are reborn.

The complexity of the present time seems to demand an unveiling of our third eyes if we are going to survive. Without transformation, one cannot believe. We can no longer afford to live with materialism.
Source
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:11 AM   #325
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Let's get a few things clear:

1: All radiation is in individual form (wavelength). A spectrum just means that you have a mixture of different wavelengths.
Thanks

WhethÚr mixture mean they mix or bond with each other or travel jointly but still individual?

Quote:
2: Individual atoms and molecules are too small to reflect visible light.
Whether basically, they only reflect?

Quote:
3: They do however absorb some light energy. This is used in spectrography, where you can detect even minute amounts of substance in a sample.
Is it part of inšident energy or just specific wavelengths?

Quote:
4: The reflected light we see from an object depends on many things; the structure of the substance, the texture of the surface, and, of course, the character of the incoming light.
Can we modify structure and texture of the substance that it reflect light in individual wavelengths not in combination?
_---------------

Hans

Last edited by Kumar; 10th November 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:17 AM   #326
fagin
Illuminator

Hans
Obviously not.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:38 AM   #327
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks. Can we blunt or reform any object which emit or reflect wavÚ or EM radiÓtion simgly or individually not in spectrum form of many cˇlours like in sunlight?
That would require a highly designed paint that only reflected a single wavelength of EM radiation.

Not even considering that the EM spectrum extends well beyond the 'visible' area
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:42 AM   #328
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks

WhethÚr mixture mean they mix or bond with each other or travel jointly but still individual?
Photons are separate not really bonded except under very unique circumstances
Quote:

Generally (on earth), although temperature can cause a substance to radiate (light a light bulb filament), also excitation can cause soem atoms to radiate
Quote:

Really depends, in spectroscopy they are invariant sets of wave lengths
Quote:

Can we modify structure and texture of the substance that it reflect light in individual wavelengths not in combination?
_---------------

Hans
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:45 AM   #329
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks

They are individual.

Quote:
They don't reflect visible light.
Atoms and molecules only emit radiation in special cases.

Quote:
(On spectral absorbsion)
Each element absorbs a specific wavelength.

Quote:
Yes. Most colored substances do that.

Hans
Old 10th November 2017, 09:49 AM   #330
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
That would require a highly designed paint that only reflected a single wavelength of EM radiation.

Not even considering that the EM spectrum extends well beyond the 'visible' area
Sorry not a single pure color substance but of many cloured but so structured that all wavelengths reflected from it travel individually not in combination,?
Yes but for the sake of these discussion, we can limit to visible EMRs.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:15 PM   #331
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry not a single pure color substance but of many cloured but so structured that all wavelengths reflected from it travel individually not in combination,?
You don't really read the answers to your questions, do you. I answered that.

Hans
Old 10th November 2017, 01:36 PM   #332
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
I think - just a guess here - that Kumar wants his radiation (from any source or object) to be emitted / arrive one quanta at a time.

No, he wants substances to emit photons that are characteristic of that particular substance, and that can get trapped in water so that when the substance is no longer present the water will still have the characteristics of the substance.

There are a number of problems with this idea.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 01:57 PM   #333
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, he wants substances to emit photons that are characteristic of that particular substance, and that can get trapped in water so that when the substance is no longer present the water will still have the characteristics of the substance.

In fact there is only one problem with this idea: It is unadulterated nonsense.

hans
Old 10th November 2017, 02:01 PM   #334
Mojo
Mostly harmless

hans

Ah yes. I knew there was something.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 02:03 PM   #335
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Visual representation of Kumar trying to science:

halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 08:19 PM   #336
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

hans
No. Nothing like so. I simply want to know, can a substance composed of different atoms/molecules emit or reflect wavelengths which do not travel in combination but travel individually?
Old 10th November 2017, 08:21 PM   #337
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

No, nothing like it. Refer my last post. I simply want to ascertain whether complete disassociation & de-bonding is possible or not?
Old 11th November 2017, 01:50 AM   #338
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

I think, I am talking about Diffuse reflection like it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_reflection

In it, reflected wavelengths do not form a spectrum but just travel individually in any direction not in combination with other waves.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:20 AM   #339
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No. Nothing like so. I simply want to know, can a substance composed of different atoms/molecules emit or reflect wavelengths which do not travel in combination but travel individually?
Radiation consists of photons. They always travel ibdividually.

Hans
Old 11th November 2017, 02:55 AM   #340
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Radiation consists of photons. They always travel ibdividually.

Hans
Then, how we see rainbow or same rays via a prism? Whether spectrum of EMRs is illusionary term?

Last edited by Kumar; 11th November 2017 at 02:57 AM. Reason: correct
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:01 AM   #341
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Then, how we see rainbow or same rays via a prism?

Because photons of different wavelengths are refracted by different angles.

Quote:
Whether spectrum of EMRs is illusionary term?

No, photons are not all of the same wavelength.

Old 11th November 2017, 03:03 AM   #342
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I think, I am talking about Diffuse reflection like it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_reflection

In it, reflected wavelengths do not form a spectrum but just travel individually in any direction not in combination with other waves.

You will still see a spectrum if you pass the light going in any particular direction through a prism.

Old 11th November 2017, 03:21 AM   #343
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Smile

You will still see a spectrum if you pass the light going in any particular direction through a prism.
Does it mean a spectrum or a long wave which we see on record are just illusionary tems, not actual? Actual is just single photon which can travel in company?
Old 11th November 2017, 03:25 AM   #344
Pixel42
Schr÷dinger's cat

Does it mean a spectrum or a long wave which we see on record are just illusionary tems, not actual? Actual is just single photon which can travel in company?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E...rticle_duality
Old 11th November 2017, 03:35 AM   #345
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Old 11th November 2017, 03:37 AM   #346
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
How it is relevant?
Anyhow I like it in opening of above link:

"It seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the other, while at times we may use either. We are faced with a new kind of difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality; separately neither of them fully explains the phenomena of light, but together they do.,"
Old 11th November 2017, 03:39 AM   #347
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Then what?
Do they follow other, bond, travel in company or otherwise? Tell me how light and spectrum even a photo look so,?

Last edited by Kumar; 11th November 2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Add
Old 11th November 2017, 03:42 AM   #348
Pixel42
Schr÷dinger's cat

How it is relevant?
It's the answer to your question, which makes it as relevant as it's possible to be.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:46 AM   #349
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Then what?

Then you are wrong, as usual.

Last edited by Mojo; 11th November 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:26 AM   #350
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's the answer to your question, which makes it as relevant as it's possible to be.
Okay as you say. But I could not understand. My problem.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:27 AM   #351
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Then you are wrong, as usual.
Read edited post.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:36 AM   #352
fagin
Illuminator

How it is relevant?
Anyhow I like it in opening of above link:

"It seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the other, while at times we may use either. We are faced with a new kind of difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality; separately neither of them fully explains the phenomena of light, but together they do.,"
Kumar, scientists, real ones, actually study things in depth.

Over the past 14 years, you have been banging on about all sorts of things, but your understanding of anything does not seem to have improved, not least your abysmal use of English.

People have suggested that you at least attempt a primary school level of science before making a fool of yourself, although over those 14 years, if you were really interested in learning, you could have obtained a proper education.

One can only assume that you are not.

Science, like mathematics and to a lesser degree English, has a very specific terminology. Certain things mean things, not whatever you interpret them to mean (generally wrongly).

May I respectfully suggest that you spend the next 14 years doing something more productive?

Perhaps sitting under that mango tree you like so much, munching mangoes, and contemplating your navel.

Because you've proved, beyond any doubt, as A&F as it gets, that you are quite incapable of learning anything about anything.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:37 AM   #353
Pixel42
Schr÷dinger's cat

Okay as you say. But I could not understand. My problem.
In this case there's no reason to feel bad about that because very few people do understand quantum theory. It takes years of study to even begin to wrap your head around it.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:53 AM   #354
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Then what?
Do they follow other, bond, travel in company or otherwise? Tell me how light and spectrum even a photo look so,?
Photons travel in straight lines and don't interact with other photons. However, a photon is a very small unit, do any light you see under normal conditions consists of millions of photons.

Most light, even colored light, contains photons of different wavelengths.

A prism will sort the wavelenghts, so we perceive a spectrum.

Hans
Old 11th November 2017, 05:16 AM   #355
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Kumar, scientists, real ones, actually study things in depth.
Long post. I felt you told something relevant. But felt sorry.
Old 11th November 2017, 05:21 AM   #356
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Photons travel in straight lines and don't interact with other photons. However, a photon is a very small unit, do any light you see under normal conditions consists of millions of photons.

Most light, even colored light, contains photons of different wavelengths.

A prism will sort the wavelenghts, so we perceive a spectrum.

Hans
Thanks. It means, nothing to think, photons travel together i˝ combination and all lights and spectrum has millions of independent photons. Ok?
Old 11th November 2017, 05:25 AM   #357
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Read edited post.

Still nonsense.

Old 11th November 2017, 07:17 AM   #358
fagin
Illuminator

Thanks. It means, nothing to think, photons travel together i˝ combination and all lights and spectrum has millions of independent photons. Ok?
Until they stop for lunch.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:53 AM   #359
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure what you mean by "in combination".

Hans
Old 11th November 2017, 10:12 AM   #360
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Individual, yes; independent, no.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology