ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Graham Hancock , joe rogan , michael shermer , zahi hawass

Reply
Old 11th November 2017, 06:24 AM   #881
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
So every tomato and potato plant and seed, brought there 12,500 years ago, was magically washed away in the old world but all the other old world grains weren't harmed at all. Is that your claim?

So, what about the other direction? Can anyone name some diseases that were brought from the Old World to the New World around 800 years ago? Can these diseases be washed away by rain or a good dose of penicillin?
Magically washed away? Ever heard of the Irish potato famine? Better example, the French wine industry almost collapsed utterly and completely at the hands of mildew. EVERY vine in the region was lost. Luckily a guy from Texas had taken some cuttings from France, married the vines to local mustang grape root stock, and grew a large successful vineyard (Munson Wines). Upon hearing of the French catastrophe he reached out to them, and single-handedly saved the French wine industry.

I never said the flood 'covered everything'...stop conflating issues.

GT and the other similar civilizations collapsed due to coastal flooding after the asteroid melted glacial ice, and the resulting climate change due to the debris the asteroid kicked up. Coastal communities were consumed, while agricultural centers stopped producing.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:14 AM   #882
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,278
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Yesterday I learned more than I'll ever need to know about wild and domestic wheat.
You think you need to know about important subjects less than what you can absorb in a day. That explains a lot about the level of scholarship you have evinced in this thread.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:39 PM   #883
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,278
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Magically washed away? Ever heard of the Irish potato famine? Better example, the French wine industry almost collapsed utterly and completely at the hands of mildew. EVERY vine in the region was lost. Luckily a guy from Texas had taken some cuttings from France, married the vines to local mustang grape root stock, and grew a large successful vineyard (Munson Wines). Upon hearing of the French catastrophe he reached out to them, and single-handedly saved the French wine industry.

I never said the flood 'covered everything'...stop conflating issues.

GT and the other similar civilizations collapsed due to coastal flooding after the asteroid melted glacial ice, and the resulting climate change due to the debris the asteroid kicked up. Coastal communities were consumed, while agricultural centers stopped producing.
This is fanciful. But even if things are no longer produced, evidence remains that they once existed. If vines in France had been permanently wiped out by "mildew" in the nineteenth century, would that have removed every grape stone from the remains of mediaeval kitchens?

Have you never heard of fossil remains of extinct creatures, disappeared long ago?

I have pointed this out before. Where is the wheat pollen from your global civilisation? Washed away in a flood? Washed out of lake sediments by flooding? Because old world plant pollen is not found in such locations in the new world. You never answer points like that, but start spouting more utter rubbish.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:24 PM   #884
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,224
Ironic that you cite the late 19th century the phylloxera epidemic.

Phylloxera is an aphid and pest of grapevines native to eastern North America.
American vines were introduced to Europe in the 1850s., Phylloxera Aphids came with them and local indigenous vines had no resistance.
Charles Valentine Riley in collaboration with J. E. Planchon developed resistant strains from American vines and they were promoted commercially by T. V. Munson.

I don't know what you were getting at with your mentioning the vines but the presence of Phylloxera in Europe is good evidence for a world spanning civilisation.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:56 PM   #885
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Ironic that you cite the late 19th century the phylloxera epidemic.

Phylloxera is an aphid and pest of grapevines native to eastern North America.
American vines were introduced to Europe in the 1850s., Phylloxera Aphids came with them and local indigenous vines had no resistance.
Charles Valentine Riley in collaboration with J. E. Planchon developed resistant strains from American vines and they were promoted commercially by T. V. Munson.

I don't know what you were getting at with your mentioning the vines but the presence of Phylloxera in Europe is good evidence for a world spanning civilisation.
Right, and early tomatoes and potatoes probably faced the same challenges here in the Americas, with no natural abilities to fight local problems.

One evasive species wiped out an entire industry. Maybe they never even managed to cultivate the plants in the Americas, but they could certainly have been wiped out. Using their absence as proof or evidence of anything is folly.

---

The wild wheat reading was interesting. Cultivating it would have been done, simply by harvesting it. Kernels can be knocked off with even the slightest brush. Farming or cultivating wild wheat was or IS absolutely a precursor to permanent settlements and brewing stations.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:59 PM   #886
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
You think you need to know about important subjects less than what you can absorb in a day. That explains a lot about the level of scholarship you have evinced in this thread.
For purposes of this thread, AND my career choice...Yes, I absolutely know more than I'll ever need to, as far as wheat goes.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:02 PM   #887
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
This is fanciful. But even if things are no longer produced, evidence remains that they once existed. If vines in France had been permanently wiped out by "mildew" in the nineteenth century, would that have removed every grape stone from the remains of mediaeval kitchens?

Have you never heard of fossil remains of extinct creatures, disappeared long ago?

I have pointed this out before. Where is the wheat pollen from your global civilisation? Washed away in a flood? Washed out of lake sediments by flooding? Because old world plant pollen is not found in such locations in the new world. You never answer points like that, but start spouting more utter rubbish.
Right, and we are still discovering new dinosaurs, as new fossils are unearthed.

When did I saw wheat was globally produced?

If the wine industry had remained inoperative, those stones would have slowly left or been abandoned, until they disappeared altogether.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:42 PM   #888
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,278
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Right, and we are still discovering new dinosaurs, as new fossils are unearthed.
even though they have been extinct for tens of millions of years there remains are still there.
Quote:
When did I saw wheat was globally produced?
When you said there was a global civilisation. Explain how a global civilisation never moved things about: livestock and food crops for instance.

Quote:
If the wine industry had remained inoperative, those stones would have slowly left or been abandoned, until they disappeared altogether.
I've no idea what you mean. It doesn't make sense. Suppose there's a grape stone lying in the ruins of a mediaeval building since the 1470s. Then in the 1870s the wine industry disappears. Does that make the mediaeval grape stone vanish too? How does that work?

Last edited by Craig B; 11th November 2017 at 03:05 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:04 PM   #889
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Magically washed away? Ever heard of the Irish potato famine?
Yes as potatoes were introduced to the Old World, from the New World, in the 15th Century. Your hilarious "pre-12,500 BP advanced civilisation" claim of international traders, falls apart as no tomatoes, corn or potatoes existed in the Old World until the 15th Century.


Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I never said the flood 'covered everything'. GT and the other similar civilizations collapsed due to coastal flooding after the asteroid melted glacial ice.
Göbekli Tepe is in Turkey (Near Asia). The Younger Dryas was a localized glacier melt in North Americas. You have mixed up your continents again.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:11 PM   #890
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,224
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Right, and early tomatoes and potatoes probably faced the same challenges here in the Americas, with no natural abilities to fight local problems.

One evasive species wiped out an entire industry. Maybe they never even managed to cultivate the plants in the Americas, but they could certainly have been wiped out. Using their absence as proof or evidence of anything is folly.
If any of the New World species had been introduced to Europe or vice versa by your ancient civilization chances are at least one of them would have survived? Even if they hadn't there would be remains preserved from the time they were there. Just like we find fossilized plant material for other civilizations and time periods.
Well the potato and tomato originated in the Americas along with maize, vanilla and tobacco not to mention the cacao tree from which we get cocoa and chocolate.
They now all thrive around the world but there is no record of them outside the Americas before the Spanish arrived.

Likewise with plants indigenous to Europe, there are no records of them in the Americas before the Spanish.

I thought you would have picked on something like Cotton, there are varieties in various places around the globe, Americas, Mediterranean, Australia, all indigenous, you could have claimed that as evidence of your ancient civilization.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 11th November 2017 at 05:13 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:25 PM   #891
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Right, and early tomatoes and potatoes probably faced the same challenges here in the Americas, with no natural abilities to fight local problems. One evasive species wiped out an entire industry.
Make a clear statement.
You claim an advanced civilization, traded between the old world and new world and elsewhere, before 12,500BP ("Pyramids on all continents")

You claimed this advanced civilization was wiped, out across the world, in 12,500BP because a glazier melted in North America, but you can't find any evidence of silt layers other than localized layers in North America.

You then claim that some sort of magic event occurred that
1) Removed all Old world species from the New World and all New World species from the old world
2) Destroyed any evidence of this advanced civilisation, across the entire world, but preserved primitive rock paintings and stone carvings from the same and earlier periods, in the same places,
3) That DNA evidence for the conventional known evolution of grains is a fabrication or a conspiracy of some sort.

Is that your current claim today?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:43 PM   #892
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Make a clear statement.
You claim an advanced civilization, traded between the old world and new world and elsewhere, before 12,500BP ("Pyramids on all continents")

You claimed this advanced civilization was wiped, out across the world, in 12,500BP because a glazier melted in North America, but you can't find any evidence of silt layers other than localized layers in North America.

You then claim that some sort of magic event occurred that
1) Removed all Old world species from the New World and all New World species from the old world
2) Destroyed any evidence of this advanced civilisation, across the entire world, but preserved primitive rock paintings and stone carvings from the same and earlier periods, in the same places,
3) That DNA evidence for the conventional known evolution of grains is a fabrication or a conspiracy of some sort.

Is that your current claim today?
You have mischaracterized my statements, enough.

Our exchanges have thusly ended.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 07:04 PM   #893
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
You have mischaracterized my statements, enough.
I'm trying to help you out.

You seem to be struggling to set out what your actual claim is and sticking to it.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 07:33 PM   #894
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I'm trying to help you out.

You seem to be struggling to set out what your actual claim is and sticking to it.
Matthew

He changes his reaction to each posters and each post. He is not engaged in an actual debate. He has no need to for coherent claims as all he is trying to do is get people to respond to him. He seems to think saying contradictory stuff is the best way to do it. Contradictory not coherent.

lol

Its kinda fun watching him intellectually stumbling around. He kinda like a zombie, you keep killing him with logic and reason and keeps trying to keep going by constantly changing his story like a lame, one-legged Gish Gallop.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 08:10 PM   #895
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Matthew, He changes his reaction to each posters and each post. He is not engaged in an actual debate. He has no need to for coherent claims as all he is trying to do is get people to respond to him. He seems to think saying contradictory stuff is the best way to do it. Contradictory not coherent.
He's playing the Monty Python game "Cheese Shop".

1) He states he has evidence of an advanced civilisation.
2) We take turns asking why different types of evidence don't exist,
3) He makes up a new excuse for not having any evidence.


The Monty Python Cheese Shop skit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 10:49 PM   #896
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
He's playing the Monty Python game "Cheese Shop".

1) He states he has evidence of an advanced civilisation.
2) We take turns asking why different types of evidence don't exist,
3) He makes up a new excuse for not having any evidence.


The Monty Python Cheese Shop skit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts
That's pretty much it. I particularly like how he makes up new things that 'must' be evidence of an AC, or if lacking means the locals couldn't have carved a stone. All pompous pontifications of zero value - except as comedy. I wonder when he is going to threaten to hold his breath until he turns blue unless we agree that the Global Civilization existed......lol
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:00 PM   #897
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
The Skeptic Playbook:

-Call whatever event or entity to be disbelieved, woo.
-Dismiss evidence presented as not representative of other better research
-Ignore peer-reviewed research or findings that contradict their findings altogether

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Last edited by King of the Americas; 11th November 2017 at 11:05 PM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:06 PM   #898
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,918
We can see the evidence of Roman civilization in the changes in the atmosphere preserved in Greenland is ice cores, and even see the rise and fall of Roman industry in that evidence. Yet Rome was far from being a global civilization. Where is the ice core data for this ancient civilization?

Similarly Roman trade can be tracked through Mediterranean shipwrecks from the period. Yet there is not a single shipwreck known from this global civilization engaging in global international trade?

Roman coins are found not just throughout the former empire, but also throughout former trading partners, for instance they are common in India. Yet not a single coin from this global civilization has turned up? Maybe they used PayPal for everything...
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:30 PM   #899
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Lather, rinse, repeat...
.............and he tries to change the subject AGAIN

LOL

I suspect he has already started to practice holding his breath.

Last edited by Hans; 11th November 2017 at 11:33 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:32 PM   #900
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
We can see the evidence of Roman civilization in the changes in the atmosphere preserved in Greenland is ice cores, and even see the rise and fall of Roman industry in that evidence. Yet Rome was far from being a global civilization. Where is the ice core data for this ancient civilization?

Similarly Roman trade can be tracked through Mediterranean shipwrecks from the period. Yet there is not a single shipwreck known from this global civilization engaging in global international trade?

Roman coins are found not just throughout the former empire, but also throughout former trading partners, for instance they are common in India. Yet not a single coin from this global civilization has turned up? Maybe they used PayPal for everything...
Yes all the known civilizations, advanced cultures and even many minor cultures all left extensive traces. The civilizations often leaving MILLIONS of pieces of evidence and thousands of sites. All easy to find

The imaginary lost civilization not a single thing......
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:46 PM   #901
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Look into the lost book of Enki.
In response to a real question he provide this suggestion as 'evidence'



This is a book full of 'made up stuff' by Zecharia Sitchin. it is an excellent example of unrestrained woo it is considered a novel and has no scientific value.

It is:

WOO
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 01:51 AM   #902
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,851
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
He's playing the Monty Python game "Cheese Shop".

1) He states he has evidence of an advanced civilisation.
2) We take turns asking why different types of evidence don't exist,
3) He makes up a new excuse for not having any evidence.


The Monty Python Cheese Shop skit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts
If you're looking for a Monty Python portrayal of the likes of KotA the Black Knight is far closer:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 12th November 2017 at 01:54 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 01:57 AM   #903
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,278
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
In response to a real question he provide this suggestion as 'evidence'

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1...37l/623381.jpg

This is a book full of 'made up stuff' by Zecharia Sitchin. it is an excellent example of unrestrained woo it is considered a novel and has no scientific value.

It is:

WOO
Are you telling us that Sitchin's publication isn't
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
... peer-reviewed research ...
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 02:08 AM   #904
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post


peer-reviewed research
Fantastic! Why didn't you say so before?
Please link to the posts where you cited the peer-reviewed research arguing in favour of an advanced civilisation, dating from some 12,500 years ago, that has been lost.
Will it show the stone pyramids, sorry, the huge stone pyramid structures, in Antarctica and Australia?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:50 AM   #905
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
More Mischaracterization...pfft

REPOST for EMPHASIS:

"But at some point the hunter-gatherers learned to maintain the buzz, a major breakthrough. “By the time we became distinctly human 100,000 years ago, we would have known where there were certain fruits we could collect to make fermented beverages,” McGovern says. “We would have been very deliberate about going at the right time of the year to collect grains, fruits and tubers and making them into beverages at the beginning of the human race.” (Alas, archaeologists are unlikely to find evidence of these preliminary hooches, fermented from things such as figs or baobab fruit, because their creators, in Africa, would have stored them in dried gourds and other containers that did not stand the test of time.)

With a supply of mind-blowing beverages on hand, human civilization was off and running. In what might be called the “beer before bread” hypothesis, the desire for drink may have prompted the domestication of key crops, which led to permanent human settlements. Scientists, for instance, have measured atomic variations within the skeletal remains of New World humans; the technique, known as isotope analysis, allows researchers to determine the diets of the long-deceased. When early Americans first tamed maize around 6000 B.C., they were probably drinking the corn in the form of wine rather than eating it, analysis has shown."


Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...1mguoghiHtT.99
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

*Note that the domestication of crops comes BEFORE permanent settlements...?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:51 AM   #906
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
REPOST for EMPHASIS

"It has no froth, is the colour of dark tea and carries an alcohol content of 10% - about double most contemporary beers.

Sakuji Yoshimura, an Egyptologist at Waseda University in Tokyo, helped transcribe the recipe from Egyptian wall paintings.

Kirin spokesman Takaomi Ishii said: "It has a taste very different from today's beer. It tastes a little like white wine."

-- BBC News, Brewers Concoct Ancient Egyptian Ale, 3rd August 2002

Original article: http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kun...#ixzz4xx4WdH7I
© Caroline Seawright
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:54 AM   #907
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
The beer evidence for the amount of grain used to produce 5-15% alcohol is common knowledge, among brewers.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:56 AM   #908
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,694
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
More Mischaracterization...pfft

REPOST for EMPHASIS:

"But at some point the hunter-gatherers learned to maintain the buzz, a major breakthrough. “By the time we became distinctly human 100,000 years ago, we would have known where there were certain fruits we could collect to make fermented beverages,” McGovern says. “We would have been very deliberate about going at the right time of the year to collect grains, fruits and tubers and making them into beverages at the beginning of the human race.” (Alas, archaeologists are unlikely to find evidence of these preliminary hooches, fermented from things such as figs or baobab fruit, because their creators, in Africa, would have stored them in dried gourds and other containers that did not stand the test of time.)

With a supply of mind-blowing beverages on hand, human civilization was off and running. In what might be called the “beer before bread” hypothesis, the desire for drink may have prompted the domestication of key crops, which led to permanent human settlements. Scientists, for instance, have measured atomic variations within the skeletal remains of New World humans; the technique, known as isotope analysis, allows researchers to determine the diets of the long-deceased. When early Americans first tamed maize around 6000 B.C., they were probably drinking the corn in the form of wine rather than eating it, analysis has shown."


Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...1mguoghiHtT.99
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

*Note that the domestication of crops comes BEFORE permanent settlements...?
The beer at GT was not made from domesticated grains.
__________________
"I have no clue" - King of the Americas
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:57 AM   #909
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,694
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
The beer evidence for the amount of grain used to produce 5-15% alcohol is common knowledge, among brewers.
The grain used to brew beer at GT was not domesticated grain.
__________________
"I have no clue" - King of the Americas
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:09 AM   #910
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,224
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
REPOST for EMPHASIS

"It has no froth, is the colour of dark tea and carries an alcohol content of 10% - about double most contemporary beers.

Sakuji Yoshimura, an Egyptologist at Waseda University in Tokyo, helped transcribe the recipe from Egyptian wall paintings.

Kirin spokesman Takaomi Ishii said: "It has a taste very different from today's beer. It tastes a little like white wine."

-- BBC News, Brewers Concoct Ancient Egyptian Ale, 3rd August 2002

Original article: http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kun...#ixzz4xx4WdH7I
© Caroline Seawright

Which is all well and good for ONE BEER brewed thousands of years after your supposed civilisation existed.
You might as well cite a recipe for Tolly Cobbold Special Barley Wine and claim all English beer is 10% and use it to claim that Saxon beer was the same.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:11 AM   #911
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
We can see the evidence of Roman civilization in the changes in the atmosphere preserved in Greenland is ice cores, and even see the rise and fall of Roman industry in that evidence. Yet Rome was far from being a global civilization. Where is the ice core data for this ancient civilization?

Similarly Roman trade can be tracked through Mediterranean shipwrecks from the period. Yet there is not a single shipwreck known from this global civilization engaging in global international trade?

Roman coins are found not just throughout the former empire, but also throughout former trading partners, for instance they are common in India. Yet not a single coin from this global civilization has turned up? Maybe they used PayPal for everything...
So, what is the record for ice cores? How far back do they date?

How old is the oldest shipwreck ever found?

Native Americans accepted a handful of beads for Stanton Island...in some tribal areas, they still purchase wives with goats. Asking where are the 12,500 year old coins from this 'advanced' civilization, as we use credit cards and other forms of digital cash is sorta dumb, don't you think? If I produced a coin, wouldn't you use that as evidence that they weren't advanced?? "Look, they weren't advanced, this coin was mis-struck!"

Look, if you want to prove an advanced global civilization didn't exist, you have to erase or re-label a lot of evidence. Which is what you've seen skeptics do here. No one yet, has addressed the same hand carvings from GT and Easter Island. Hell, this thread was started with a video that contains a plethora of evidence dating this younger dryas flood event. VERY FEW have even watched it.

It's an argument of ignorance. They don't know, and they refuse to directly address information that would disprove their position. If nothing can be presented to sway them...leave them to their own stupidity.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 12th November 2017 at 06:19 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:14 AM   #912
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,224
Even if they were so advanced they had moved beyond cash to credit cards or whatever not all of the old coins would have disappeared.
How many thousands of years did it take us to reach the credit card level? How much cash is still in circulation?
When do you think we will give up cash?

Where is the supporting technology and infrastructure for the cashless society?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:16 AM   #913
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Which is all well and good for ONE BEER brewed thousands of years after your supposed civilisation existed.
You might as well cite a recipe for Tolly Cobbold Special Barley Wine and claim all English beer is 10% and use it to claim that Saxon beer was the same.
It is evidence that directly contradicts the claim that there was ONLY weak beer that did NOT require very much grain.

The OTHER piece of evidence I posted, that you ALSO ignored states humankind was probably brewing some 100,000 years ago. So, by GT time, we were likely good at it.

But, you know...don't bother addressing evidence that you disagree with...keep your position safe...turn away from those ugly facts!
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:17 AM   #914
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Even if they were so advanced they had moved beyond cash to credit cards or whatever not all of the old coins would have disappeared.
How many thousands of years did it take us to reach the credit card level? How much cash is still in circulation?
When do you think we will give up cash?

Where is the supporting technology and infrastructure for the cashless society?
Goats live on grass...look around.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:17 AM   #915
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,224
Your entire evidence is a beer brewed by a different civilisation thousands of years later?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:21 AM   #916
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Your entire evidence is a beer brewed by a different civilisation thousands of years later?
Aheeem...*in a whispered tone*

"I've been arguing that the globe was interconnected."

ETA:

You are ignoring the other evidence that stated brewing was likely 100,000 years old...GT brewers were likely advanced.

ETA II: The evidence posed to contradict my original statement was from a few hundred years ago...which should carry more weight?

Last edited by King of the Americas; 12th November 2017 at 06:41 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:23 AM   #917
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
The grain used to brew beer at GT was not domesticated grain.
Wild wheat CAN and was absolutely "cultivated"...even if by accident.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:32 AM   #918
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Matthew

He changes his reaction to each posters and each post. He is not engaged in an actual debate. He has no need to for coherent claims as all he is trying to do is get people to respond to him. He seems to think saying contradictory stuff is the best way to do it. Contradictory not coherent.

lol

Its kinda fun watching him intellectually stumbling around. He kinda like a zombie, you keep killing him with logic and reason and keeps trying to keep going by constantly changing his story like a lame, one-legged Gish Gallop.
You are kinda like a zombie too, stumbling about, belching up rotten awful, mush-mouth garble; but that might just be how I see all skeptic-infected humans who can't or won't see the evidence presented to them.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 12th November 2017 at 06:37 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:46 AM   #919
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
In response to a real question he provide this suggestion as 'evidence'

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1...37l/623381.jpg

This is a book full of 'made up stuff' by Zecharia Sitchin. it is an excellent example of unrestrained woo it is considered a novel and has no scientific value.

It is:

WOO
Question: Do books like Homer's Iliad and Oddsey, the Bible, or other ancient fictional writings have ANY value to scientific archaeologists?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:48 AM   #920
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Cool

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes all the known civilizations, advanced cultures and even many minor cultures all left extensive traces. The civilizations often leaving MILLIONS of pieces of evidence and thousands of sites. All easy to find

The imaginary lost civilization not a single thing......
ROTFLMAO

*Except for these huge stone monuments that appear on every continent... :/
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.