ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 11th November 2017, 08:58 AM   #2801
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So Trump says he asked about election meddling and Putin said he didn't do it...and Trump believes him. Okay the best case scenario here is that Trump is just that stupid. The worst case scenario is that Trump knows Putin is lying and just doesn't care and is stupid enough to think this puts the matter to rest.
Putin's press secretary says Donnie didn't ask about meddling:

Originally Posted by The Hill
President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin did not discuss alleged election meddling on Saturday, despite Trump saying they did, according to Putin’s office.

“No,” Putin's press secretary Dmitri Peskov told CNN when asked, “as far as you know, did the two leaders discuss meddling?"
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ction-meddling

So now, I guess Trump wants us to believe Putin except for when he's lying?
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 09:13 AM   #2802
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

WUT?

Is Peskov (and Putin) trying to make Trump look unbelievable?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 09:17 AM   #2803
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

#kremlin spokesman, dmitry peskov has now told #russian state media that #trump did, in fact, raise issue of meddling with #putin
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 09:24 AM   #2804
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
as you are bringing up "typical CT thinking" I think it is worthwhile pointing out that Muller has indicted several people, and Papadopolous has plea bargained.

Yeah, over stuff that isn't even close to either Trump or Putin. And those indictments have nothing to do with the moronic content of the "observer" article you brought to our attention.

I don't think it is against the membership agreement to point out that this is unlike some of the conspiracy theories that you advocate - the easiest one being your somewhat nebulous ones about what happened in 9/11.

Maybe not, but it says a lot about your confidence that anytime you're even slightly cornered, you come up with helpless "but but but you're a twoofer!" nonsense.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:29 AM   #2805
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

To Craig4 and demands about alleged bad behaviour on the part of Russia, here's Putin answering to someone who "knows" what you "know". It's two years old but nothing fundamental has changed, just escalated. Question:

Originally Posted by JOHN SIMPSON, BBC
Western countries almost universally now believe that there’s a new Cold War and that you, frankly, have decided to create that. We see, almost daily, Russian aircraft taking sometimes quite dangerous manoeuvres towards western airspace. That must be done on your orders; you’re the Commander-in-Chief. It must have been your orders that sent Russian troops into the territory of a sovereign country – Crimea first, and then whatever it is that’s going on in Eastern Ukraine. Now you’ve got a big problem with the currency of Russia, and you’re going to need help and support and understanding from outside countries, particularly from the West. So can I say to you, can I ask you now, would you care to take this opportunity to say to people from the West that you have no desire to carry on with the new Cold War, and that you will do whatever you can to sort out the problems in Ukraine? Thank you!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th November 2017, 09:37 AM   #2806
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Not exactly cornered. And it is valid to point out that you have a rather eccentric assessment of what constitutes a credible source.

There are lots of connections between Trump's team and Russia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ck-in-russians

We also know that Don Jr and Jared Kushner attempted to collude, and thier defence is that nothing came of it - despite rather coincidental timing.

ETA: The defence is that someone who has lied about meeting with Russians, and indeed about the specific meeting, is now telling the truth when he says that nothing came of the meeting, even though he was still admitting to something illegal

Time to put in the timeline again...
No new additions

Mar 19 Podesta email hacked
Apr 19 DCLeaks.com registered
May 3 Trump becomes presumptive nominee
June 3 Goldstone contacts Trump Jr. to setup meeting which promises to discuss Clinton
June 7 17:16 Don Jr. confirms meeting w/ Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya
June 7 21:13Trump Sr promises press conf the next week with Clinton dirt
June 8 Trump posts link to DCLeaks
June 9 Trump Jr, Kushner, Manafort meet with Russian operative
June 12 Assange announces Clinton emails
June 27 Hacked emails posted to DCLeaks
July 11 Trump/Manafort nix pro-Ukranian plank in GOP platform (and lie about it)
Late JulyUnusual activity noticed between Russian bank and Trump server
Aug 21 Roger Stone writes "it will soon be Podesta's time in the barrel"
Oct -7 Pussygate video released
Oct 7 Wikileaks releases Podesta emails (an hour later)
2017 - MayDOJ drops money laundering case against client of Natalia Veselnitskaya
July-08Don Jr issues statement* saying the meeting was about orphanages
July-09 NYT prepares to release story about the meeting supposedly about dirt on Clinton
July-09 Donald Trump Jr. issues a new statement* changing his story from less than 24 hours earlier, and accepting that it was about getting dirt on clinton but that nothing came of it:
July-10Don Jr hires lawyer
July-12 Democrats ask questions about the DoJ dropping the money lanudering case

* " “It was a short introductory meeting. I asked Jared and Paul to stop by. We primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children that was active and popular with American families years ago and was since ended by the Russian government, but it was not a campaign issue at the time and there was no follow up… I was asked to attend the meeting by an acquaintance, but was not told the name of the person I would be meeting with beforehand.”"

*“I was asked to have a meeting by an acquaintance I knew from the 2013 Miss Universe pageant with an individual who I was told might have information helpful to the campaign. I was not told her name prior to the meeting. I asked Jared and Paul to attend, but told them nothing of the substance. We had a meeting in June 2016. After pleasantries were exchanged, the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Ms. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information. She then changed subjects and began discussing the adoption of Russian children and mentioned the Magnitsky Act. It became clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting. I interrupted and advised her that my father was not an elected official, but rather a private citizen, and that her comments and concerns were better addressed if and when he held public office. The meeting lasted approximately 20 to 30 minutes. As it ended, my acquaintance apologized for taking up our time. That was the end of it and there was no further contact or follow-up of any kind. My father knew nothing of the meeting or these events.”

So yes, pretty unbelievable
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 11th November 2017 at 09:39 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 09:41 AM   #2807
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

^That's one year after Trump was elected. Literally all they have, and it needs a lot of read ink and hiliting to make the tabled allegations look even a bit impressive.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:42 AM   #2808
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Don Jr accepts meeting with what he thinks is a representative of the Russian state who he thinks is going to provide dirt on Clinton.

Within a couple of hours of him accepting the meeting, Don Sr promises a press conference with Clinton dirt.

The next day, Don Sr posts a link to the website where the leaks are eventually to be placed.

And we are supposed to believe that nothing came of the meeting.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:44 AM   #2809
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
^That's one year after Trump was elected. Literally all they have, and it needs a lot of read ink and hiliting to make the tabled allegations look even a bit impressive.
No, I just haven't been able to update it, because so much is happening
Old 11th November 2017, 09:45 AM   #2810
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

No, I just haven't been able to update it, because so much is happening

Old 11th November 2017, 09:47 AM   #2811
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

btw, Binney says that the CIA admitted to him at his meeting with Pompeo that they have no evidence of Russian hacking. On Sputnik Radio, so it can be safely ignored, jimbob.
Old 11th November 2017, 10:05 AM   #2812
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

To Craig4 and demands about alleged bad behaviour on the part of Russia, here's Putin answering to someone who "knows" what you "know". It's two years old but nothing fundamental has changed, just escalated. Question:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
No, it's not alleged, Manboobs waged aggressive war against Ukraine and stole part of that country. He then invaded Eastern Ukraine though that is going not as well. All he had to do to avoid sanctions was not steal parts of other countries.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 10:24 AM   #2813
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Smerconish: Here's who Trump doesn't believe (video)

This isn't on the same level, but I'd also like to point out how eager Trump is to declare "fake news" on pretty much anything he doesn't like, compared to how eager he is to accept Putin's word without question.

He has a very clear preference for information that does not appear to align with reality.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 10:28 AM   #2814
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

No, it's not alleged, Manboobs waged aggressive war against Ukraine and stole part of that country. He then invaded Eastern Ukraine though that is going not as well. All he had to do to avoid sanctions was not steal parts of other countries.

No, he didn't. You are disinformed. And incapable to digest the content of his answer in the video (which explicitly didn't touch Ukraine). Because it shows what your country did in the world trying to take it over after the SU collapsed. And failed. Too dumb to rule the world. At least Trump has enough self-reflection to realize this.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 11th November 2017 at 10:32 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 10:40 AM   #2815
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Why do we want better relations with Russia now?
For better or worse, it's still one of the major powers in the world. It would be greatly preferable to have excellent relations with them, for quite a few reasons. Economic and cultural, for starters, with a side of being able to be notably more influential in their decision-making.

What has Russia done to fix the issues of their own creation? Has Russia announced a timetable for their withdraw from Crimea? Has Russia pulled it's troops out of Eastern Ukraine (and those are troops)? Has Russia pledged to cease its interference in Western elections? The thaw in our relations should be the reward for improved Russian behavior.
As you've noted here, though, there are other rather notable issues in play, too. Russia's chosen to act antagonistically and aggressively, which makes it quite a bit more difficult to maintain good relations with them.

Uuuuh, now a joint statement by Trump and Putin. So much harmony about several key topics regarding Syria. De-escalation, joining forces against terrorism, etc. THAT'S TREASON!!!1
I'd dare to say that most of the people who heavily oppose illegal election interference are quite fine with working together with Russia on quite a few things where the interests of the US and Russia align.
Old 11th November 2017, 11:21 AM   #2816
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Looks like collusion...
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:23 AM   #2817
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Somewhere, in a secluded room...

DT: Okay, I want to ask you something.
VP: Oh no, not again.
DT: Did you do anything?
VP: My friend...
DT: You know what I’m referring to, right?
VP: Donald.
DT: I have to ask.
VP: You ask a hundred times!
DT: C’mon, you can tell me.
VP: Maybe two hundred!
DT: C’mon.
VP: Answer is always same!
DT: C’mon...
VP: ...
DT: Did you do it? Get it off your chest. I won’t tell.
VP: Alright, da! Yes! I did it all and I’m glad!
DT: It’s okay.
VP: Would do again!
DT: Hey. Hey, c’mere.
VP: Nyet!
DT: C’mere.
VP: No, you always do that handshake-pull-you-off-balance trick!
DT: Okay.
VP: I feel bad you know.
DT: Okay, it’s okay. I appreciate your coming clean. Really, your secret’s safe with me.

- - -

Traveling press: Mr. President! Mr. President, you’ve met with President Putin today. Was there anyt—
DT: He did it.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 11th November 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:42 AM   #2818
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Somewhere, in a secluded room...

DT: Okay, I want to ask you something.
VP: Oh no, not again.
DT: Did you do anything?
VP: My friend...
DT: You know what I’m referring to, right?
VP: Donald.
DT: I have to ask.
VP: You ask a hundred times!
DT: C’mon, you can tell me.
VP: Maybe two hundred!
DT: C’mon.
VP: Answer is always same!
DT: C’mon...
VP: ...
DT: Did you do it? Get it off your chest. I won’t tell.
VP: Alright, da! Yes! I did it all and I’m glad!
DT: It’s okay.
VP: Would do again!
DT: Hey. Hey, c’mere.
VP: Nyet!
DT: C’mere.
VP: No, you always do that handshake-pull-you-off-balance trick!
DT: Okay.
VP: I feel bad you know.
DT: Okay, it’s okay. I appreciate your coming clean. Really, your secret’s safe with me.

- - -

Traveling press: Mr. President! Mr. President, you’ve met with President Putin today. Was there anyt—
DT: He did it.
I don't think so. Trump has a hang-up wanting people to publicly exonerate him. He wanted Comey to announce Trump wasn't under investigation. He wants it announced publicly that Putin didn't help Trump win the election. My guess is it went something more like this:

Trump: I know you didn't meddle, maybe you could announce it a few times?
Putin: That's stupid, you know we did.
Trump: How about if I just say you told me you didn't meddle?
Putin: Suit yourself.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:06 PM   #2819
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Folks, Trump told you how it went: "Every time he sees me he says ‘I didn’t do that’".

I'm sure this is to be taken literally.

Typical Putin.

DT [enters room]
VP: I didn't do that!
DT *sigh*

Maybe that's why Peskov said Trump didn't ask.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 11th November 2017 at 12:09 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:20 PM   #2820
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No, he didn't. You are disinformed. And incapable to digest the content of his answer in the video (which explicitly didn't touch Ukraine). Because it shows what your country did in the world trying to take it over after the SU collapsed. And failed. Too dumb to rule the world. At least Trump has enough self-reflection to realize this.
Yes or no, did Russia guarantee Ukraine's territorial integrity to include the Crimea when Ukraine agreed to send the nuclear weapons on their territory to Russia after the Soviet Union failed?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:21 PM   #2821
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Folks, Trump told you how it went: "Every time he sees me he says ‘I didn’t do that’".

I'm sure this is to be taken literally.

Typical Putin.

DT [enters room]
VP: I didn't do that!
DT *sigh*

Maybe that's why Peskov said Trump didn't ask.
What value could the word of Manboobs possibly have?
Old 11th November 2017, 12:32 PM   #2822
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yes or no, did Russia guarantee Ukraine's territorial integrity to include the Crimea when Ukraine agreed to send the nuclear weapons on their territory to Russia after the Soviet Union failed?

The Yes or No question you have to answer before I even consider discussing any details with you is: Was it a violent, western-backed coup that started the events? And even if you manage to answer correctly, I would likely just refer you to the thread where we discussed events while they happened to get further information. I just don't care enough about your opinion to waste much energy on it. And this is increasingly so with people who servantly stick to the "Western" pre$$titute narrative in light of more and more open cracks appearing in it. There just isn't any good excuse anymore. Enlighten yourself.
Old 11th November 2017, 12:40 PM   #2823
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Uuuuh, now a joint statement by Trump and Putin...
So more collusion?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:46 PM   #2824
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
So more collusion?

Yup. They even conspired to prepare the statement in advance, and Lavrov and Tillerson were in on it. It's admitted!
Old 11th November 2017, 01:14 PM   #2825
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That's obviously a fake. Where are the hashtags and like buttons that are on all official presidential press releases?
Old 11th November 2017, 01:36 PM   #2826
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'm a bit surprised after encounters like these that no one points out to Trump that he comes off as Putin's little butt-boy.
Old 11th November 2017, 01:36 PM   #2827
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Uuuuh, now a joint statement by Trump and Putin. So much harmony about several key topics regarding Syria. De-escalation, joining forces against terrorism, etc. THAT'S TREASON!!!1

I'd say you're guilty of making a straw-man, but it's likely you know that and did it on purpose just to muddy the waters.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:48 PM   #2828
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
So more collusion?
Colluders collude to say they didn't collude.

Hmmm...

Collaborate?

Coordinate?

Coitillate?
Old 11th November 2017, 02:05 PM   #2829
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The Yes or No question you have to answer before I even consider discussing any details with you is: Was it a violent, western-backed coup that started the events? And even if you manage to answer correctly, I would likely just refer you to the thread where we discussed events while they happened to get further information. I just don't care enough about your opinion to waste much energy on it. And this is increasingly so with people who servantly stick to the "Western" pre$$titute narrative in light of more and more open cracks appearing in it. There just isn't any good excuse anymore. Enlighten yourself.
I read some of it but your comments and silly little CTs didn't really add value. Putin stole part of another country and invaded another part of it.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:12 PM   #2830
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't think so. Trump has a hang-up wanting people to publicly exonerate him. He wanted Comey to announce Trump wasn't under investigation. He wants it announced publicly that Putin didn't help Trump win the election. My guess is it went something more like this:

Trump: I know you didn't meddle, maybe you could announce it a few times?
Putin: That's stupid, you know we did.
Trump: How about if I just say you told me you didn't meddle?
Putin: Suit yourself.
If one has to explain the joke...
Old 11th November 2017, 02:28 PM   #2831
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I'm a bit surprised after encounters like these that no one points out to Trump that he comes off as Putin's little butt-boy.
"No butt boy. No butt boy. You're the butt boy."
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:29 PM   #2832
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If one has to explain the joke...
Polite way of saying I didn't think the joke was great.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th November 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:31 PM   #2833
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Colluders collude to say they didn't collude.

Hmmm...

Collaborate?

Coordinate?

Coitillate?
This is the latest shiny object, argue semantics as if it actually changes the crime because the news media et al are not articulating the specifics.

I do believe 'conspired' fits the bill to get around the straw.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:43 PM   #2834
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

"No butt boy. No butt boy. You're the butt boy."
With pictures of their meeting like this one coming out, I can't understand why people think Trump is Putin's bitch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 11th November 2017, 02:51 PM   #2835
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

This is the latest shiny object, argue semantics as if it actually changes the crime because the news media et al are not articulating the specifics.

I do believe 'conspired' fits the bill to get around the straw.
That's it!

I knew there has to be a "con" in there somewhere, with Trump involved.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:34 PM   #2836
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Trump has proven that he is Putin's lover boy who will go out of is way to undercut the government of the United States of America in order to appease Putin.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:41 PM   #2837
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Polite way of saying I didn't think the joke was great.
Hold on a second while I ask the numerous writing awards obscuring the wall in my office what they think.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:46 PM   #2838
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Of course that's a tradition at APEC the propagandized morons just never noticed because nobody cared if they cared before.

This more like the reality of their relationship.

skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:07 PM   #2839
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hold on a second while I ask the numerous writing awards obscuring the wall in my office what they think.
You have writing awards? That is so cool. Seriously.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:34 PM   #2840
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

You have writing awards? That is so cool. Seriously.
Thank you. (And, if I may add, I enjoy your contributions on the forum.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics