ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 01:25 PM   #201
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Michael Flynn so he can get back into the administration.
At first I laughed. But that really does not seem outside the realm of possibility.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 01:34 PM   #202
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
With the ratings that the flood is getting I wonder who Trump will pardon next? Bernie Madoff?
Jared Fogle by accident since he knows his name from TV.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 01:39 PM   #203
Spindrift

I see the Donald make a big impression on the Finns this week.

First he mistook one Finnish reporter for another and told her she had already asked a question.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/f40b8ff...takes-one.html
Quote:
Well, mistakes happen. During a bilateral press conference on Monday, President Trump told Finnish President Sauli Niinistö that he could take another question. But when Niinisto called on journalist Maria Annala, Trump wondered about his choice. "Again?" Trump said. "You're going to give her -- the same one?" The president had mistaken Annala for journalist Paula Vilén, who had asked a question earlier. "No, she's not the same lady," Niinistö replied. "They are sitting side by side." Analla quipped, "We have a lot of blonde women in Finland."
Then he says that the Finns are buying large amounts of Boeing fighter jets. The Finns are looking to buy fighters but they have just started the process. I'm sure the Finns will remember this weak-ass 'negotiation' and other aircraft manufacturers are quite happy with Trump's ham-handedness. (Mini-hams though they may be.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-comments.html
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 02:09 PM   #204
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That's interesting. But isn't the other side of the stability coin indolence and/or apathy?
Career civil servants still have their careers to think about.
Quote:
How is that dealt with in Europe?
Ordinary human ambition does the trick.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 02:22 PM   #205
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How else is he supposed to steal the spotlight from the victims and make it all about him? That was seriously presidential, for at least republican values of presidential.
Well, according to Republican Twiiter, it's far better than what Obama did, when he went golfing...during Katrina.
Old 29th August 2017, 02:39 PM   #206
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'd have said "Wave it". Based on his hands he'd have a hard time stepping on it.
Old 29th August 2017, 02:45 PM   #207
Garrison
Illuminator

Is he trying to suggest even the disasters are 'better' on his watch?

Quote:
He later said responding to the disaster would be extremely costly, saying "there's never been anything so expensive in our country's history or anything so historic in terms of damage and ferocity".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41088751

Seriously it sounds like a boast rather than commiserating with the victims.
Old 29th August 2017, 03:40 PM   #208
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41088751

In that video, he looks more like the average loon standing on a soapbox in Hyde Park's Speakers Corner, than the Commander-in-Chief. Also, he's got really small hands.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:38 PM   #209
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Trump refers to it being "more ferocious", when persistence is the real problem.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 07:05 PM   #210
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

First he mistook one Finnish reporter for another and told her she had already asked a question.

<snip>

All those blonder Finnish women look the same to me, too.

Not that I mind.

Kidding aside, the different colored jackets (black vs. red) they were wearing as they sat side by side should have provided him with at least a hint that they weren't the same person.
Old 29th August 2017, 07:18 PM   #211
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Trump refers to it being "more ferocious", when persistence is the real problem.
That was my thought. We've had storms with higher winds but the problem is the loitering around. If it hangs in there, it will drain the Gulf and dump the whole thing on Houston.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 08:32 PM   #212
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

Not that I mind.

Kidding aside, the different colored jackets (black vs. red) they were wearing as they sat side by side should have provided him with at least a hint that they weren't the same person.
4D chess my friends. This way, if he makes the same mistake with a black or Asian person, no one can accuse him of racism. In all seriousness, I've seen enough really sharp people make similar mistakes that I can't really hold this one against him.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 08:55 PM   #213
Steve
Illuminator

Not that I mind.

Trump pays very little attention to other people unless he thinks they may enable him to profit in some way. He would not be paying enough attention to notice that thee were two individuals.
Old 29th August 2017, 09:08 PM   #214
Cleon
King of the Pod People

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/f40b8ff...takes-one.html
I've been to Finland. I'm gonna give him a pass on this one.
Old 29th August 2017, 09:45 PM   #215
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

That was my thought. We've had storms with higher winds but the problem is the loitering around. If it hangs in there, it will drain the Gulf and dump the whole thing on Houston.

The loitering around, or even just the passing by is always the problem. High winds almost never cause the damage in property and human lives that the flooding does. At least not when they hit the U.S.

I think the perception that the winds are the danger is an artifact of the use of the Saffir-Simpson Scale (i.e. Category One through Five) by meteorologists to describe hurricanes in their reports. The only thing it measures is wind strength. There is no component which evaluates flooding potential or storm surge, or anything else. The winds are a danger, but not the most dangerous one.

Some of the most destructive hurricanes in the U.S. have been relatively low on the Saffir-Simpson scale by the time they made landfall. Some had diminished to the point where they were no longer even classed as hurricanes.

The problem is that people get the idea that they don't have to worry as much about a storm because it is, say, only a Category One. Hurricane Matthew last year had been downgraded to a Category One (from a Cat 5) by the time it got to NC, and still managed to kill 26 people in the state and cause flooding that took over a week after it passed by us to finish cresting on some rivers.

Last edited by quadraginta; 29th August 2017 at 09:48 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 09:52 PM   #216
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Trump pays very little attention to other people unless he thinks they may enable him to profit in some way. He would not be paying enough attention to notice that thee were two individuals.

Is this a mistake he makes a lot? How many other times has he mistakenly scolded some reporter for having already asked a question when they hadn't?

If it isn't then there must be some other factor in play.

"All those tits look the same to me."?
Old 29th August 2017, 10:00 PM   #217
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Is this a mistake he makes a lot? How many other times has he mistakenly scolded some reporter for having already asked a question when they hadn't?

If it isn't then there must be some other factor in play.

"All those tits look the same to me."?
The only thing that I find interesting is his pathology of thinking that whatever brainfart he is having is important enough to share. What concern is it who the Finnish leader picks? You invite the guy to take one more question? Shut up and let him take one more question.

Maybe he was upset because the walnut from Klan Country Weekly didn't get to ask any questions.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 10:07 PM   #218
sts60
Master Poster

The basic hydrological cycle:
1. Gulf of Mexico evaporates and is rained onto Houston by Harvey.
2. Houston drains into Gulf and refills it.
3. GOTO 1
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 12:06 AM   #219
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The only thing that I find interesting is his pathology of thinking that whatever brainfart he is having is important enough to share. What concern is it who the Finnish leader picks? You invite the guy to take one more question? Shut up and let him take one more question.

Maybe he was upset because the walnut from Klan Country Weekly didn't get to ask any questions.
This is what i was going to say.
(I couldn't have matched the flourish though)
Old 30th August 2017, 02:33 AM   #220
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

He'd need high ground to stay above all the bodies piled up in Seoul.
I won't necessarily argue against that, but I don't see a few dozen thousand non-whites ending killed as being something Trump would particularily worry about.

Samsung is a direct competitor to Apple and Intel anyway.

McHrozni
Old 30th August 2017, 02:59 AM   #221
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course it is,he only knows how to do one of those after all
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 07:45 AM   #222
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by @realDonaldTrump
After reading the false reporting and even ferocious anger in some dying magazines, it makes me wonder, WHY? All I want to do is #MAGA!
Trump just wants to make America great again but the Fake News Media won't allow it it! Why does the failing New York Times and the Amazon Washington Post hate Trump? Why don't they acknowledge Trump's greatness and that he's doing everything he can for Americas sake?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 07:57 AM   #223
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Trump just wants to make America great again but the Fake News Media won't allow it it! Why does the failing New York Times and the Amazon Washington Post hate Trump? Why don't they acknowledge Trump's greatness and that he's doing everything he can for Americas sake?
Trump's policy: Me! Me! Me!

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 08:23 AM   #224
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
That's the latest meme for Trump supporters. Why are they stopping Trump from doing what he wants to MAGA?

I ask, "What is it exactly that he wants to do, that he has tried to do, that he hasn't been able to do?"

Invariably, they bring up repealing Obamacare and the wall.

You know, the repeal that was killed by Republican senators and the wall that actually is progressing (it's in the proposal stage).
Old 30th August 2017, 08:25 AM   #225
Argumemnon
World Maker

Repealing healthcare and keeping foreigners out makes America great again... kind of makes you think about what makes America great, eh?

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 08:29 AM   #226
Spindrift

What they really want is for the Fake Media to stop showing every time Trump makes an ass of himself. They think that it should be ignored, because you know, he's Making American White Again.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:53 AM   #227
Tero
Graduate Poster

Continuing predictions that Trump will quit.

But when Trump throws in the towel, it will be a terrific towel! Best towel ever! We will make some 50 000 copies to sell, but not through Amazon because Trump hates Amazon.

Rinse, repeat.
http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 10:05 AM   #228
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
I won't necessarily argue against that, but I don't see a few dozen thousand non-whites ending killed as being something Trump would particularily worry about.

Samsung is a direct competitor to Apple and Intel anyway.

McHrozni
And if all those gadget factories get glassed, more jobs for Americans maybe. Win win.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:08 AM   #229
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
And if all those gadget factories get glassed, more jobs for Americans maybe. Win win.
I agree at least Trump is trying to make new jobs and keeping the ones we have already here in America. I remember when Levis hired some North Georgia seamstresses to sew zippers into the jeans but that work was sent to CHina. That hurt a lot of people. Their salary was terrible and Levis could not have saved that much money simply by sending the work to Asia.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:48 AM   #230
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I agree at least Trump is trying to make new jobs and keeping the ones we have already here in America. I remember when Levis hired some North Georgia seamstresses to sew zippers into the jeans but that work was sent to CHina. That hurt a lot of people. Their salary was terrible and Levis could not have saved that much money simply by sending the work to Asia.
Agreed that's what he said he'd do. Not agreed that that's actually something he will do.

My impression is that he's invested a lot of cycles inventing stories about successes that either aren't new jobs (eg: announcing Samsung's US factory as a triumph, when we all knew it was previously planned and announced two summers ago, and the 'infrastructure' plan which is just a tax break for construction companies, no new projects, no new hiring).

Recall the Trump University operational directive: "Offshore, offshore, offshore."

Trump will do what the corporate donors tell him to. They want offshoring, they will get offshoring. The challenge for Trump is to give the impression he's bringing jobs onshore.

There seem to be some potential for exceptions, whereby friendly states are willing to turn the screws on their taxpayers to develop welfare programs that take the form of factory staffing, to assist Trump with this narrative. But the net result is fewer private sector jobs, probably a net loss of employment.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #231
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

There seem to be some potential for exceptions, whereby friendly states are willing to turn the screws on their taxpayers to develop welfare programs that take the form of factory staffing, to assist Trump with this narrative. But the net result is fewer private sector jobs, probably a net loss of employment.
Just an example of that last one, the Wisconsin FoxConn plant is estimated to suck $230k per job out of the state treasury. That's probably going to mean public sector layoffs, no net gain in employment.

It's political theater, and will not scale nationally.
Old 30th August 2017, 12:19 PM   #232
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Just an example of that last one, the Wisconsin FoxConn plant is estimated to suck $230k per job out of the state treasury. That's probably going to mean public sector layoffs, no net gain in employment.

Public employees don't count. They're nothing but incompetents who can't cut it in the private sector, so they become parasites, sucking the lifeblood of the taxpayers who have real jobs.
At least, that's what I would hear people say back when I was a public employee.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 12:23 PM   #233
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Public employees don't count. They're nothing but incompetents who can't cut it in the private sector, so they become parasites, sucking the lifeblood of the taxpayers who have real jobs.
At least, that's what I would hear people say back when I was a public employee.
And yet when their house is on fire or somebody's breaking in, they call 911, not a banker or a broker.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 12:25 PM   #234
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Which brings me to the question about subsidized employment plans like this one. Does it make Wisconsin FoxConn staff a special category of public employee?

And this is worth mentioning... the circulation of that money is being changed a well, so we lose some of the multiplier effect. The employee gets his $40k salary, the other $200k goes to... ? Samsung probably. Shareowner value. Which means it's effectively getting diverted overseas.

The net effect could very well be that American wealth is being siphoned out of the country even faster with this 'deal' than without it. The beneficiaries are the FoxConn hirees and Trump's reputation. The victims are Wisconsin's taxpayers and public employees. And I guess anybody who's been duped into thinking Trump has any plan that will actually improve American workers' prospects.
Old 30th August 2017, 12:27 PM   #235
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Repealing healthcare and keeping foreigners out makes America great again... kind of makes you think about what makes America great, eh?

Here's a thoughtful guide to Trump's impact:
Quote:
Yet the reality is that while Trump is inflicting tangible disproportionate harm to racial minorities across the country, he’s not doing anything substantive to advance the interests of his typical white supporter either.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ism-plutocracy
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 01:06 PM   #236
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump’s Budget Could Cut 200,000 Federal Jobs

That was March. The estimate might be higher now.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 01:07 PM   #237
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

It probably depends on what they mean by 'interests'. If his typical white supporter is prioritizing immigration concerns over economic concerns (and many seem to be), then there's an argument that they're receiving at least some of the benefits sought.

And in terms of economic gains, if a voter was part of what we call the 'ownership class' - say, for example, somebody who owns a construction company with government contracts qualifying for these infrastructure tax breaks, I'd be getting millions of windfall profits. My employees will never see a penny of it, but I'd be seeing benefits as a shareowner. Anybody with shares in companies that can save money by jeopardizing the safety and health of the public are seeing great gains with the removal of environmental restrictions. I know there are a lot of supporters in this class, so it's hard to say whether the 'average' Trump supporter is getting zip economically. I think some are getting at least a few nuggets, but they're probably all billionaires.
Old 30th August 2017, 01:08 PM   #238
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Quote:
Yet the reality is that while Trump is inflicting tangible disproportionate harm to racial minorities across the country, he’s not doing anything substantive to advance the interests of his typical white supporter either.
The Art of the Con.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 01:32 PM   #239
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
Defense Secretary James Mattis on Wednesday sought to downplay President Trump’s earlier assertion that seemed to rule out a diplomatic solution to North Korea's ongoing missile tests.

"The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!" Trump tweeted Wednesday morning.

Mattis broke from that view, telling reporters asking about the tweet at the Pentagon, “We’re never out of diplomatic solutions.”

“We continue to work together, and the minister and I share responsibility to provide for the protection of our nation our populations and our interests, which is what we are here to discuss today,” Mattis said alongside South Korea Defense Minister Song Young-moo.
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/34...on-north-korea

Will Trump stop being such a big pussy and fire this guy who's openly contradicting him? Trump as President should have the last word on government policy.

Normally having a cabinet member openly second guessing let alone contradicting the head of government is a sign that said government lacks discipline. Trump isn't like any other President because he's a weak little worm that's afraid of walking up stairs with his tiny hands.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 01:53 PM   #240
KDLarsen
Illuminator

That's the latest meme for Trump supporters. Why are they stopping Trump from doing what he wants to MAGA?

I ask, "What is it exactly that he wants to do, that he has tried to do, that he hasn't been able to do?"

Invariably, they bring up repealing Obamacare and the wall.

You know, the repeal that was killed by Republican senators and the wall that actually is progressing (it's in the proposal stage).
To be fair, the wall has been flying seriously low under the radar, albeit with the occasional blip over who's going to pay for it. I wouldn't be surprised if your average, reasonably informed American thought that too had stalled somewhere in Congress.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics