ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags protest incidents

Old 13th September 2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Criticism of Trump a fireable offense?//Women gives Trump the finger, is fired.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/13/medi...use/index.html

ESPN Host Jemele Hill doesn't like Trump, and says so publicly.
Quote:
Hill has been vociferously critical of the president all year long, but she went further this time, calling Trump a "bigot," a "threat" and "the most ignorant, offensive president of my lifetime."

The tweet that garnered the most reaction said: "Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself w/ other white supremacists."

Hill, an African American woman, followed up with this: "His rise is a direct result of white supremacy. Period."

The White House responds with;
Quote:
From the White House podium, Sarah Sanders said Hill's criticism of the president was a "fireable offense by ESPN."
I think this is just another example of the Trump administration shooting itself in the foot. Trump has all but said that neo-nazis are his people; it should be no surprise that people object to it very publicly.

Ranb

ETA; and yes, I've botched my thread title again, two words wrong this time.

Mod InfoMerged with "Women gives Trump the finger, is fired."
Posted By:TubbaBlubba

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 8th November 2017 at 05:18 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Argumemnon
World Maker

Why is her skin colour important to the article?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 02:27 PM   #3
Ranb
Philosopher

Not sure why CNN's Brian Stelter thinks so. Maybe it is to contrast Trump's alleged racism/nazi overtones to Hill's skin color?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 02:28 PM   #4
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I have always consistently taken the position that there is no free speech when it comes to employment. You say something your employer doesn't like and you get fired, too bad.

But for the White House to come out and say you should be fired because you criticized the president?

That's chilling.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
But for the White House to come out and say you should be fired because you criticized the president?

That's chilling.
It's stupid when they call for her to be fired. It's chilling if ESPN actually fires her as a result of the White House's rant.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:31 PM   #6
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

I think this is just another example of the Trump administration shooting itself in the foot. Trump has all but said that neo-nazis are his people; it should be no surprise that people object to it very pub
Ranb

ETA; and yes, I've botched my thread title again, two words wrong this time.
I'm sure Hill is a union member and is working under a contract with her employer, so unless there's a specific condition of employment that she can not express her personal opinion in public it wouldn't necessarily constitute a fireable offense.

Had she spewed out a combination of the seven dirty words on air while doing so, that would probably support a one-way trip out the door.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 02:43 PM   #7
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

This woman is an expert at using over the top comments to get attention.

Back in 2008 she wrote this in her column for ESPEN:

"Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan. Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics."

She got a one week suspension for that but her career arc did not suffer - it went up.

I believe that this was a calculated last ditch effort to get attention for a failing TV show.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

That's chilling.

Yeah, this. The only people who can decide if this is a fireable offense are the employers.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Mark F
Graduate Poster

I believe the (implied) criticism is that Hill wasn't fired because of her race while a white colleague (sorry, his name escapes me at the moment) was recently fired from ESPN for making political comments.

The reality is that ESPN has a policy against making political comments. This was Hill's 1st offense, so she got a warning. The other host had repeatedly violated the policy, so he got canned.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

ESPN would be within its rights to fire her if she harmed their public image. But for the White House to call for her firing is disturbing. That's a genuine First Amendment concern.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:54 PM   #11
johnny karate

It's stupid when they call for her to be fired. It's chilling if ESPN actually fires her as a result of the White House's rant.
It starts being chilling the moment that the highest office of government publicly proclaims you should have your livelihood taken away because you said something they didn't like.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 04:17 PM   #12
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

It starts being chilling the moment that the highest office of government publicly proclaims you should have your livelihood taken away because you said something they didn't like.
It is a political office. They can speak publicly.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 04:20 PM   #13
johnny karate

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is a political office. They can speak publicly.
Yes, they can. Thank you for confirming the thing no one denied.
Old 13th September 2017, 04:27 PM   #14
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

ZOMG, Trump is literally Hitler!
Old 13th September 2017, 04:32 PM   #15
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Yes, they can. Thank you for confirming the thing no one denied.
If they can then there is no problem.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:18 PM   #16
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I believe the (implied) criticism is that Hill wasn't fired because of her race while a white colleague (sorry, his name escapes me at the moment) was recently fired from ESPN for making political comments.

The reality is that ESPN has a policy against making political comments. This was Hill's 1st offense, so she got a warning. The other host had repeatedly violated the policy, so he got canned.
You have your facts wrong. The host was Linda Cohn. A she, not a he. And she was suspended, not fired. And the suspension wasn't for making political comments. She was suspended for saying that ESPN was losing viewers by being too political (and that they overpaid for a bunch of broadcast rights). And that's objectively true. But it makes management look bad. That's why they punished her. It's got nothing to do with her being political.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:19 PM   #17
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Would it bother you more or less if Trump said that his political opponents should be audited by the IRS?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:32 PM   #18
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You have your facts wrong. The host was Linda Cohn. A she, not a he. And she was suspended, not fired. And the suspension wasn't for making political comments. She was suspended for saying that ESPN was losing viewers by being too political (and that they overpaid for a bunch of broadcast rights). And that's objectively true. But it makes management look bad. That's why they punished her. It's got nothing to do with her being political.
I assumed the fired broadcaster in question was Curt Schilling?
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:37 PM   #19
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

Not true.

This is at least her second offense,, she was previously suspended for a week for making other stupid comments:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ds-jemele-hill
Old 13th September 2017, 05:38 PM   #20
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
This woman is an expert at using over the top comments to get attention.

Back in 2008 she wrote this in her column for ESPEN:

"Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan. Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics."

She got a one week suspension for that but her career arc did not suffer - it went up.

I believe that this was a calculated last ditch effort to get attention for a failing TV show.
The show is failing? She was recently promoted because her shows got better ratings than her peers.

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
I forget the particulars but I seem to recall what he said was overtly racist and not just a political opinion.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:38 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Nope. Dubya was literally Hitler, remember? Trump is, *Double Hitler*. Or something.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:44 PM   #22
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

If they can then there is no problem.

Being able to speak publicly and being somehow free from criticism for that speech are two different things.

Being able to speak publicly and infringing on someone's civil rights under color of law are two different things. That hasn't happened in this case, but it's a step towards that if left unanswered.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:54 PM   #23
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Being able to speak publicly and being somehow free from criticism for that speech are two different things.

Being able to speak publicly and infringing on someone's civil rights under color of law are two different things. That hasn't happened in this case, but it's a step towards that if left unanswered.
But criticism over disagreement does not mean the other side is a problem.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:54 PM   #24
Mumbles
Illuminator

Well, she's right.

Of course, a company like ESPNB can fire her if they wanna. But she isn't saying anything incorrect.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 06:02 PM   #25
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Not true.

This is at least her second offense,, she was previously suspended for a week for making other stupid comments:

...A decade ago? This loose cannon is off the rails!
Old 13th September 2017, 06:09 PM   #26
johnny karate

Would it bother you more or less if Trump said that his political opponents should be audited by the IRS?
Depends. What day of the week would this be happening? And what color tie would Trump be wearing at the time?
Old 13th September 2017, 06:23 PM   #27
johnny karate

Then:
There is no contrast, since antifa also seeks to overturn principle of this country. Free speech, for example.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not actually KFILE's job. They're supposedly investigative journalists, not Internet Thought Police.
Now:
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nope. Dubya was literally Hitler, remember? Trump is, *Double Hitler*. Or something.

So for those keeping score at home, sir drinks-a-lot and theprestige think a random collection of black-clad goofballs and CNN are bigger threats to free speech than the government... you know, the only one of those three who can actually threaten free speech.

Last edited by johnny karate; 13th September 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 13th September 2017, 06:57 PM   #28
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Then:

Now:

So for those keeping score at home, sir drinks-a-lot and theprestige think a random collection of black-clad goofballs and CNN are bigger threats to free speech than the government... you know, the only one of those three who can actually threaten free speech.
Umm, pretty sure that black masked thugs attacking speakers can absolutely be a threat to free speech.

The fact that certain people do not understand that free speech is broader than freedom from governmental regulation is *********** baffling.
Old 13th September 2017, 08:11 PM   #29
Loss Leader

But criticism over disagreement does not mean the other side is a problem.

Um ... what?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 08:35 PM   #30
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Um ... what?
There isn't a technical problem with the white house asking someone to be fired...only a disagreement about what someone should do.
Old 13th September 2017, 08:58 PM   #31
johnny karate

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Umm, pretty sure that black masked thugs attacking speakers can absolutely be a threat to free speech.
No, it can't. Consult the First Amendment if you have further questions on this issue.

Quote:
The fact that certain people do not understand that free speech is broader than freedom from governmental regulation is *********** baffling.
Seriously, you should read the First Amendment. It's not very long, and clearly defines from whom speech is made free. (Spoiler alert: It's the government, and no one else.)

Last edited by johnny karate; 13th September 2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:04 PM   #32
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I think this is just another example of the Trump administration shooting itself in the foot. Trump has all but said that neo-nazis are his people; it should be no surprise that people object to it very publicly.

Ranb

ETA; and yes, I've botched my thread title again, two words wrong this time: (
Leave that poor Jabba creature alone! He might be a pitiful wretch who knows no better than RanB, Jabba, or those other pitiful wretches but at least he isn't a pitiful wretch who knows no better than RanB, Jabba, or those other pitiful wretches.

Last edited by John Jones; 13th September 2017 at 09:10 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:10 PM   #33
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
...A decade ago? This loose cannon is off the rails!
I was responding to this:

Quote:
It isn't her first offence whether it happened last week, last year or a decade ago.

If you want to give her a pass for those dumb comments she herself recognized as being inappropriate, feel free to do so.

I guess we shouldn't worry about these moronic comments either, after all a decade has passed since they were made too.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:28 PM   #34
Loss Leader

There isn't a technical problem with the white house asking someone to be fired...only a disagreement about what someone should do.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying we shouldn't discuss the bounds of government interference in speech until the government has interfered with it past the bounds that we set up at some point after discussing it?

L. Leader
Old 14th September 2017, 02:41 AM   #35
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
The show is failing? She was recently promoted because her shows got better ratings than her peers.

The show she is currently doing is called SC6. I really don't care what she did previously. In the entertainment industry - it's all about what you are doing today.

Here are some facts about her new show: While they are still the most highly viewed episodes so far, SC6 is down 20% compared to the 2016 SportsCenter.

... the numbers decreased (relative to the previous year) after the first month. That, along with the declines year-over-year around key events, should be cause for more concern.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/09/sc6...-sportscenter/

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 03:26 AM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
ESPN would be within its rights to fire her if she harmed their public image. But for the White House to call for her firing is disturbing. That's a genuine First Amendment concern.
Of course not, it is only racist or sexist statements that need protection in the form of free speech. Criticising our leader when we need to come together for the good of the country when we finally have a white president is right out.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 05:08 AM   #37
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why single her out? According to his approval ratings, this doesn't seem far off what most Americans think of him.

Last edited by Craig4; 14th September 2017 at 05:09 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 05:55 AM   #38
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Curt Schilling is who I was thinking of. Never heard of Linda Cohn.

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Not true.

Not exactly the same thing.

Last edited by Mark F; 14th September 2017 at 05:58 AM.
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 06:07 AM   #39
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying we shouldn't discuss the bounds of government interference in speech until the government has interfered with it past the bounds that we set up at some point after discussing it?
I'm making my statement on what is the bounds of government interference and taking a stand that this is inside it.
Old 14th September 2017, 06:16 AM   #40
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

No, it can't. Consult the First Amendment if you have further questions on this issue.

Seriously, you should read the First Amendment. It's not very long, and clearly defines from whom speech is made free. (Spoiler alert: It's the government, and no one else.)
I repeat again: The fact that certain people do not understand that free speech is broader than freedom from governmental regulation is *********** baffling.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right, and is a constraint on governmental power. Heck, people in other countries not subject to the First Amendment also enjoy freedom of speech.

The suggestion that black masked thugs attacking speakers is not a threat to free speech is frankly appalling.

I have always said, tho, the greatest threat to the freedom of expression comes from the left.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics