ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , natural disasters , Puerto Rico incidents

Old 3rd October 2017, 06:58 PM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
To be fair to Trump, he was sitting next to the governor, asked him if the number was 17, and the governor said 16....
Hurricane Maria death toll jumps to 34 in Puerto Rico
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:30 PM   #162
Stacko
Philosopher

One of Trump's favorite business moves (screwing creditors) aligns with his Presidency's needs but it's not up to him.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:46 PM   #163
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I question the utility of using death tolls as a measure of the extent of disasters. By that metric the shooting at Las Vegas was nearly as big a disaster as Harvey or Irma.

Having said that, this new number itself gives us an idea of how total the devastation is in PR. Two weeks later, and they are still counting, because there is so much damage.

And there still remains a significant portion of the island where they haven't even been able to access well enough to get a complete survey of the cost in human lives.

Good thing for them it wasn't a "real catastrophe", I guess.

Last edited by quadraginta; 3rd October 2017 at 09:01 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:49 PM   #164
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Don't have an empire if you aren't willing to save the day when your colonies need lots of help.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:10 PM   #165
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I haven't read the news articles yet. Those are real quotes? Really?
I usually avoid actually hearing him but they cut in the feed on my morning drive. It would have been a fine performance for the emcee of a local Elk Lodge benefit dinner. Not so much for the leader of the free world comparing human death tolls as if someone wins a prize.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:18 PM   #166
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I question the utility of using death tolls as a measure of the extent of disasters. By that metric the shooting at Las Vegas was nearly as big a disaster as Harvey or Irma.

Having said that, this new number itself gives us an idea of how total the devastation is in PR. Two weeks later, and they are still counting, because there is so much damage.

And there still remains a significant portion of the island where they haven't even been able to access well enough to get a complete survey of the cost in human lives.

Good thing for them it wasn't a "real disaster", I guess.
I'm in the choir here. Trump cherry picked the death rate as if that nullifies the criticism his administration hasn't been able to distribute supplies and get power/water/phones back up in such a small island.

And his administration had nothing to do with keeping the number of deaths down anyway.

He is such a self-centered jerk. It just gets worse and worse.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 01:58 AM   #167
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

Trump doesn't seem to appreciate that Puerto Rico now has no electricity, water, or medical supplies. That's a serious matter for them.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 02:10 AM   #168
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

A significant portion of Katrina's death toll was people in care at hospitals and homes of the elderly, or being nursed at home, who just weren't nursed sufficiently because of evacuations or lack of water and electricity. That death toll is probably still rising in PR, and requires a fast and massive response. You get fast and massive responses only when top leadership is fully committed.

Top leadership hasn't even realised problem yet.

Sent from mobile phone through Tapatalk
Old 4th October 2017, 02:28 AM   #169
dann
Illuminator

In comparison:
This is what happened when electricity wasn't restored to a neighborhood in Havana within four days after the category-5 hurricane Irma:
Quote:
Government representatives were unsuccessful in their attempts to silence the protest, giving excuses to over 500 people. Protesters continued to shout slogans like “people have the power”, “lights, water and food”, “strike”.
http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=127278
However, US Americans seem to think that the failure to restore electricity after a hurricane is an obvious sign of communist repression …
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 04:28 AM   #170
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Trump doesn't seem to appreciate that Puerto Rico now has no electricity, water, or medical supplies. That's a serious matter for them.
"But they have paper towels, a lot of paper towels, the likes of which no one has ever seen!"
Old 4th October 2017, 08:29 AM   #171
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
In comparison:
This is what happened when electricity wasn't restored to a neighborhood in Havana within four days after the category-5 hurricane Irma:
Quote:

Government representatives were unsuccessful in their attempts to silence the protest, giving excuses to over 500 people. Protesters continued to shout slogans like “people have the power”, “lights, water and food”, “strike”.
http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=127278
However, US Americans seem to think that the failure to restore electricity after a hurricane is an obvious sign of communist repression …

Twelve of the eighty people who died in Florida due to Irma were residents of a nursing home who died as a result of the power failure.
Old 4th October 2017, 09:28 AM   #172
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Twelve of the eighty people who died in Florida due to Irma were residents of a nursing home who died as a result of the power failure.
While across the street from a hospital that had power, IIRC.
Old 4th October 2017, 01:38 PM   #173
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
See also in places like Refugio (Nolan Ryan's home town) and Port Aransas, which relies a lot on the tourist trade.
A town name whose pronunciation alone let's people know if you are from the area or not.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 01:43 PM   #174
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Katrina had a real impact on the demographics of Houston and the surrounding area. I wonder where displaced Puerto Ricans are going to end up. Mostly Florida?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 02:56 PM   #175
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Katrina had a real impact on the demographics of Houston and the surrounding area. I wonder where displaced Puerto Ricans are going to end up. Mostly Florida?
I hope they pick particular districts in certain Mid-West and Rust Belt states, actually.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 03:43 PM   #176
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

A town name whose pronunciation alone let's people know if you are from the area or not.

Staunton, VA is like that.
Old 4th October 2017, 05:20 PM   #177
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Staunton, VA is like that.
Leicester, Worcester and Gloucester, MA are like that.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 05:36 PM   #178
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
Leicester, Worcester and Gloucester, MA are like that.

Sure, but those pronunciations are relatively well known.

Few people who have not spent time in Staunton, VA or surrounding environs will know that the locals pronounce it "STAN-ton", and not "STAWN-ton".

I suspect the same is true for Refugio, TX.

Last edited by quadraginta; 4th October 2017 at 05:37 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 05:39 PM   #179
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Puyallup.
Old 5th October 2017, 02:25 AM   #180
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Puyallup.

Willamette.

(Bonus points... Ely, NV. )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 02:27 AM   #181
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

If this derail goes on I'll merely mention Milngavie, Kilncadzow and Ravenstruther.
Old 5th October 2017, 02:56 AM   #182
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Willamette.

(Bonus points... Ely, NV. )
Netburst...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 08:01 AM   #183
d4m10n
Master Poster

Florida, Acela region (NE Corridor), Chicago. (I'm rooting for FL, personally.)

8493454_orig.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto..._United_States

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th October 2017 at 08:02 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 11:59 AM   #184
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The Mayor of San Juan is wearing a new message t-shirt today, and it is again for Trump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg article-nasty-1005.jpg (33.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th October 2017, 01:35 PM   #185
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
We might as well forgive the debt.

I don't think they were ever going to be able to pay it off, even without Maria.

They were deep in debt, IIRC.

So we might as well figure out a way to make that debt disappear.

However, it may give the states ideas about their debt.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 08:10 PM   #186
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Can Elon Musk fix Puerto Rico's broken power grid?

Originally Posted by CNN Money
Elon Musk is offering to solve Puerto Rico's energy crisis -- for the long haul.

Millions of Puerto Ricans are living in the dark at home after Hurricane Maria pummeled the island, knocking out its already fragile electric grid. Two weeks later, only 9% of residents have electricity, according to Puerto Rican government figures.

Musk, the CEO of electric-car maker Tesla, suggested his company's solar power unit could be a long-term solution.

"The Tesla team has done this for many smaller islands around the world, but there is no scalability limit, so it can be done for Puerto Rico," Musk tweeted Thursday morning, adding that the decision is up to Puerto Rican government officials...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/05/news...rid/index.html
Old 5th October 2017, 11:32 PM   #187
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Even if he cannot, he's shown that he has a much better eye for PR and business than President Trump.

One offers a long-term solution to Puerto Rico's power problems (and maybe puts his company in a position to make a load of money ), the other one throws some paper towels, talks to a few rich folk and congratulates himself on what a splendid job he is doing.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 12:44 AM   #188
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Sigh. FEMA removes statistics that don't back Trump's assertion of a great response. Sigh. This guy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.df893417c221
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:16 AM   #189
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

And good timing for him too as he now has capacity, has done some large projects , and doubled the efficiency of the commercial powerpack battery just last year.

I had looked to see if any solar customers were able to have electricity after Maria as no one seemed to report on it. Turns out, those 10,000 customers with solar panels still had to be connected to the grid for delivery, so their fate was the same. I could not find anyone truly 'off the grid'.

I think the public utility will be made functional (no choice in that, right?), then wiped out as an entity, debt included, and the island's customers can then be parceled out over time to private companies - ideally with competing efficient technologies.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 04:00 AM   #190
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Sigh. FEMA removes statistics that don't back Trump's assertion of a great response. Sigh. This guy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.df893417c221
I just don't understand how more than two weeks after the storm, and only 54% of the residents can have access to drinking water, and this is considered a success. 10% have electricity. I get that the rural areas are hard to access and it might take months to get them back to normal, but most of the population is concentrated in cities. More than half are in San Juan.

I've read stories that say that General Buchanan's arrival seemed to make a difference. He's a bit more mission oriented, as one might expect from a general.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 04:05 AM   #191
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I just don't understand how more than two weeks after the storm, and only 54% of the residents can have access to drinking water, and this is considered a success. 10% have electricity. I get that the rural areas are hard to access and it might take months to get them back to normal, but most of the population is concentrated in cities. More than half are in San Juan.

<snip>

I've mentioned this in the other PR thread.

Mrs. qg's home physical therapist has a son and family living in PR, and we've been getting updates on their status when she comes by twice a week.

Yesterday she told us that he had finally managed to get a generator running, and they were happy because they gotten some laundry done.

He runs a small B&B. They live about three miles north of San Juan.

They have running water. Still have no phone or Internet. He calls in to keep her informed on their status by traveling close enough to a working cell tower to get a signal.

They really miss their Internet. He'd like to try and get some of the business from relief workers needing places to stay because so few of the hotels are up and running, but he needs to be on-line to do that.

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th October 2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:11 AM   #192
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I've read stories that say that General Buchanan's arrival seemed to make a difference. He's a bit more mission oriented, as one might expect from a general.
It's considered a success because President Trump has to get an A+ at anything he is associated with, regardless of the actual result. Obviously he grades himself which makes that grade significantly more likely.

If 0.1% of people had water after 2 weeks, he'd still be declaring that it was the best response ever.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:17 AM   #193
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I just don't understand how more than two weeks after the storm, and only 54% of the residents can have access to drinking water, and this is considered a success. ...
Not hard to understand, it's because Trump is sick in the head.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:22 AM   #194
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's considered a success because President Trump has to get an A+ at anything he is associated with, regardless of the actual result. Obviously he grades himself which makes that grade significantly more likely.

If 0.1% of people had water after 2 weeks, he'd still be declaring that it was the best response ever.
This is a major problem that is only going to exacerbate future crises.

Quote:
But when bad luck strikes, the president’s problems become everyone’s problems. And in Puerto Rico we’re seeing that the president’s inability to listen to constructive criticism — and his unwillingness to incentive people to give it to him — transforms misfortune into catastrophe.

This tendency to cut himself off from uncomfortable information rather than accept frank assessments and change course has impacted Trump’s legislative agenda, peripheral aspects of his foreign policy, and now a part of the United States of America itself.

If we’re lucky, maybe the global economy will hold up, we won’t have any more bad storms, foreign terrorists will leave us alone, and somehow we’ll skate past this North Korea situation. Maybe. Because if not, we’re going to be in trouble, and the president’s going to be the last one to realize it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:28 AM   #195
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

One of the many ironies about all the self congratulation that's going on is that it is based on how hard the people are working and what a great job they are doing. That is indleed true. I just read an article about the crew of the Kearsarge (sp?) and what incredibly long shifts they are putting in. I'm sure the same is true for the FEMA workers.

However, the reason they are putting in those long shifts is that they are using helicopters to ship bottled water. That's tough work, but it's a really inefficient way of getting drinking water to people. Surely the United States Army and Navy can ferry in the supplies needed to restart a water treatment plant. Maybe it's hard. Maybe there's some reason that it's more difficult than it seems, but it's a lot more efficient than using naval helicopters to deliver water bottles. Do they have to haul out the plastic trash, too? If the Kearsarge can't do the water treatment plant mission, find someone who is properly equipped to do it.

So, the irony is that we elected a businessman, because he knew better than politicians how to get things done, and instead of getting actual results, he's patting himself on the back for throwing lots of money and using lots of resources to show that he cares about the problem.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 6th October 2017 at 07:29 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:34 AM   #196
Stacko
Philosopher

So, the irony is that we elected a businessman, because he knew better than politicians how to get things done, and instead of getting actual results, he's patting himself on the back for throwing lots of money and using lots of resources to show that he cares about the problem.
Everything makes more sense if you accept that a reality TV star was elected and not a businessman.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:46 AM   #197
chrispy
Critical Thinker

That seems to be a pretty accurate summation.It's across the board, too. he is unwilling to listen to people who acyually have expertise in the field concerned. I would say it is shocking, but sadly nothing really is anymore. That said, it is embarrassing, dangerous, and outright telling of the intellectual capacity of our Dear Leader.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 03:18 PM   #198
autumn1971
Master Poster

Everything makes more sense if you accept that a reality TV star was elected and not a businessman.
This. Anyone who believes Trump has ever been anything other than a name is a fool. How would someone who ever negotiated a real estate deal in NYC think that renegotiating a trilateral trade deal would not only be "easy," but also done one country at a time?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 03:31 PM   #199
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Here we go again....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.679df5823fbf

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:46 PM   #200
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not hard to understand, it's because Trump is sick in the head.
Or has a dick in his head!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events