ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , natural disasters , Puerto Rico incidents

Old 25th October 2017, 04:42 PM   #281
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Well, Halliburton did not bid, but Zinke's friends company Whitefish got the job.

Here's a glimpse of the job so far.....

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/ene...f4qjmk.twitter

Old 25th October 2017, 08:10 PM   #282
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Well, Halliburton did not bid, but Zinke's friends company Whitefish got the job.

Here's a glimpse of the job so far.....

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/ene...f4qjmk.twitter

This is going to be POTUS level ineptitude.

The reason the standard is the power companies doing a shared attack on the problem is... manpower.
As I understand it, with Texas ad Florida, or any other hurricane, within a few days, they plonk 10 or 15 THOUSAND workers on the ground, with heavy equipment.

White fish is bragging they've got 300 people in PR.

The tail of the prior storm's rains were still falling in Houston as some 400 of those large tree trimmer rigs were caravaning into the county. PR's roads are still largely uncleared... did Whitefish plan for that?
Can they accomplish their contracted task in those conditions?

People will continue to get sick because of the delays, and some of them will die. The infrastructure situation should have been, literally... attacked by concerted military construction forces.
People out... earthmovers in. We'll try to have you back home by Christmas.

It should not be handled gently, and be allowed to drag out for 14 months.
And Whitefish doesn't have the logistical experience to play a leading role in that.

I wonder... did we learn exactly nothing from Katrina?
Or did we learn, depending on the nature of the victims, exactly what can be gotten away with?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 25th October 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 10:09 PM   #283
Thermal
Master Poster

Elon Musk successfully bringing his solar tech to PR and restoring power to a childrens' hospital:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...m_term=nprnews

Previously known as MostlyDead. Feeling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 12:57 AM   #284
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Elon Musk successfully bringing his solar tech to PR and restoring power to a childrens' hospital:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...m_term=nprnews

Interesting contrast to the Zinke/Whitefish business model.

Trump administration draining the swamp.
Old 26th October 2017, 03:34 AM   #285
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
This.

I don't personally know what resources are required, but I do know the United States government has experts on the payroll who do know. This isn't anything the Army Corps of Engineers can't handle, it only takes the political will to get them funded and turn them loose.
But that makes it harder skim off of. That would be counter to everything this administration and the republican party is about.

And do they still maintain that kind of size or has that been outsourced like so much else to independent contractors again to make skimming money easier? Where is Haliburton when we need them?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 06:51 AM   #286
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Eh, they seem more interested in swamping the drain.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 07:04 AM   #287
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
This.

I don't personally know what resources are required, but I do know the United States government has experts on the payroll who do know. This isn't anything the Army Corps of Engineers can't handle, it only takes the political will to get them funded and turn them loose.
"Who do know" hell. There's people in "the business" who live for this kind of thing.

You ever actually talk to a Army Corp of Engineers or Navy Seabee service member? An entire island that needs an infrastructure done quick? This is their "I've been training my whole life for this" moment. They plan for this like Youtube gun-nuts train for the zombie apocalypse.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 07:39 AM   #288
Thermal
Master Poster

Interesting contrast to the Zinke/Whitefish business model.

Musk also offers this solar/battery system as a donation, with an option to compensate and make permanent later. Looks like the grid was installed on a parking lot, so they will probably need to relocate anyway.

Why is it that people like Musk and Pit Bull can quickly figure out how to solve immediate problems? The Comfort sits in open water with empty beds- can no one figure out how to get a helicopter there and Medivac patients on board? She has a landing pad.

Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 07:50 AM   #289
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
"Who do know" hell. There's people in "the business" who live for this kind of thing.

You ever actually talk to a Army Corp of Engineers or Navy Seabee service member? An entire island that needs an infrastructure done quick? This is their "I've been training my whole life for this" moment. They plan for this like Youtube gun-nuts train for the zombie apocalypse.
Exactly. This kind of thing is really hard to do, but fortunately, we have people who plan for and train to do really hard things, and they are adaptable enough that even though they weren't trained for this exact scenario, they can wing it, very well.

Even though no one would have been strafing them this time, I'll bet they could have managed it.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 07:52 AM   #290
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Musk also offers this solar/battery system as a donation, with an option to compensate and make permanent later. Looks like the grid was installed on a parking lot, so they will probably need to relocate anyway.

Why is it that people like Musk and Pit Bull can quickly figure out how to solve immediate problems? The Comfort sits in open water with empty beds- can no one figure out how to get a helicopter there and Medivac patients on board? She has a landing pad.
My understanding is that the issue is that doctors in Puerto Rico are not sure what process needs to be followed in order to get patients on board the Comfort rather than there being no way of physically transporting them there.

Perhaps the questions over Whitefish (whether or not there actually is any impropriety) will get Puerto Rico back in the headline and get the Trump Administration to pull their collective fingers out.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 08:11 AM   #291
Thermal
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
My understanding is that the issue is that doctors in Puerto Rico are not sure what process needs to be followed in order to get patients on board the Comfort rather than there being no way of physically transporting them there.

Perhaps the questions over Whitefish (whether or not there actually is any impropriety) will get Puerto Rico back in the headline and get the Trump Administration to pull their collective fingers out.
I am very confident that a trained Medivac crew, military or civilian, could resolve that in seconds.

And yes, as the death toll continues to rise due to contaminated water and other causes, let's hope that the President's feet are held to the fire and he steps up, whether through humiliation, public outcry, or conscience.

Old 26th October 2017, 08:21 AM   #292
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I am very confident that a trained Medivac crew, military or civilian, could resolve that in seconds.
Maybe

Quote:
FEMA told CNN.com that the Comfort is being used as a last resort at the end of a long line of steps that must be taken first with patients. They must first go to a local medical facility, then to the medical coordinating center in San Juan. From there, they might be sent to Humacao, where the Army's Combat Support Hospital is located. After that, a patient could be sent to the Comfort.
https://weather.com/news/news/2017-1...a-usns-comfort
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 08:24 AM   #293
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

And yes, as the death toll continues to rise due to contaminated water and other causes, let's hope that the President's feet are held to the fire and he steps up, whether through humiliation, public outcry, or conscience.
So do I, but I fear that his self-assessment of A+ performance protects him from humiliation, public outcry will simply be dismissed as #Fakenews and I have yet to see any evidence of a Presidential conscience.
Old 26th October 2017, 08:31 AM   #294
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

...I have yet to see any evidence of a Presidential conscience.
That was dropped for budgetary reasons.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 09:12 AM   #295
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
...I have yet to see any evidence of a Presidential conscience.

I thought it was because he had people for that, and they all got fired.

(Or quit, mebbe. Can you imagine having the job of being Trump's conscience?)
Old 26th October 2017, 09:16 AM   #296
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

You ever see those commercials for animal shelters, where they show you the picture of the puppy, with a leg missing and half its fur gone, chained (with a short chain) to a pole next to a tiny cardboard box in a chicken wire enclosure, with snow on the ground, barely able to lift its head to look at you sorrowfully?

That's what I imagine the job would be like.

Last edited by Hellbound; 26th October 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 26th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #297
Thermal
Master Poster

This is exactly the kind of bureaucratic cock-up that results in empty beds at an emergency hospital. Freaking infuriating.

So do I, but I fear that his self-assessment of A+ performance protects him from humiliation, public outcry will simply be dismissed as #Fakenews and I have yet to see any evidence of a Presidential conscience.
Color me naive, but I am still holding out for the President to find his mind and heart. Nowhere to go but up, right?

Old 26th October 2017, 09:27 AM   #298
Argumemnon
World Maker

Color me naive, but I am still holding out for the President to find his mind and heart.
You're adorable.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 09:31 AM   #299
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just a thought but maybe like Trump sabotaging the ACA then claiming the ACA failed, this is a means of sabotaging government intervention with the idea one needs private free market intervention.

Trump may be interested in looking like he's managing PR well. But he's also just going to blame others when PR's recovery looks bad. Cue crony capitalism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 09:36 AM   #300
Thermal
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Just a thought but maybe like Trump sabotaging the ACA then claiming the ACA failed, this is a means of sabotaging government intervention with the idea one needs private free market intervention.

Trump may be interested in looking like he's managing PR well. But he's also just going to blame others when PR's recovery looks bad. Cue crony capitalism.
A truly disheartening thought. And a likely outcome.

Old 26th October 2017, 09:42 AM   #301
dann
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
As I understand it, that was an obstacle to Denmark's assistance to the US Virgin Islands: It seemed that, as a general rule, FEMA has to buy services from local contractors, private enterprise. I guess that the idea is that otherwise, helping the hurricane victims might disadvantage local businessmen trying to sell their services, but somebody here probably knows more about this than I do.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 09:46 AM   #302
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by dann View Post
As I understand it, that was an obstacle to Denmark's assistance to the US Virgin Islands: It seemed that, as a general rule, FEMA has to buy services from local contractors, private enterprise. I guess that the idea is that otherwise, helping the hurricane victims might disadvantage local businessmen trying to sell their services, but somebody here probably knows more about this than I do.
Well, to a degree, such a policy makes sense. Using local resources, you're putting money and jobs back into a local economy that's just taken a heavy hit, and assisting it to get back to it's feet.

That being said, such a policy should not bar or limit additional sources of assistance when local resources aren't up to the task.
Old 26th October 2017, 09:52 AM   #303
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

This is exactly the kind of bureaucratic cock-up that results in empty beds at an emergency hospital. Freaking infuriating.

Color me naive, but I am still holding out for the President to find his mind and heart. Nowhere to go but up, right?

"Naive" isn't the color I'd use for that.
Old 26th October 2017, 10:02 AM   #304
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I understand the desire but, for all his stumbling through his prepared statement... Flake got it exactly right yesterday on the chamber floor.
We've all been waiting, hoping for that "pivot"... it ain't comin'.

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
The conscience? Well... they're quite costly to maintain. Trump learned that at his daddy's knee.
And with his lifelong premium healthcare, he probably had it surgically removed in his teens.

Certainly it was gone entirely by the time he agreed with the interviewer that remaining STD-free through his Studio 54 days counted as "his personal Viet Nam".

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 10:37 AM   #305
CORed
Philosopher

I'd rather have a job herding cats than a job being Trump's conscience.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 10:41 AM   #306
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I understand the desire but, for all his stumbling through his prepared statement... Flake got it exactly right yesterday on the chamber floor.

The conscience? Well... they're quite costly to maintain. Trump learned that at his daddy's knee.
And with his lifelong premium healthcare, he probably had it surgically removed in his teens.

Certainly it was gone entirely by the time he agreed with the interviewer that remaining STD-free through his Studio 54 days counted as "his personal Viet Nam".
I had extremely low expectations for Trump coming in, and he has managed to fall short of them. I also had a small hope that there was more to Trump than meets the eye, and that he would somehow manage to step up and do a decent job. At this point, it seems that there was actually even less to Trump than meets the eye, and that he has no idea how to step up and do a decent job, in the unlikely event that he even wants to.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 02:17 AM   #307
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, and it's exactly the kind of thing that happens when departments are under-staffed and/or led by people with little or no knowledge of the department, no capacity or willingness to learn and who do the bare minimum (or less) of work.

If you look at the number of vacant senior positions in the Trump Administration, and the quality of the people he has appointed then IMO these kinds of problems will be endemic.

I personally think you're being over-optimistic, but I guess that at least that's better than being dismal. President Trump is behaving exactly as Candidate Trump and Businessman Trump did before him. Expecting a 70-year-old to suddenly and fundamentally change their entire persona and value system is, IMO, a little much. As Pterry would say, a leopard doesn't change his shorts
Old 27th October 2017, 04:20 AM   #308
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I listened to someone on NPR last night discussing the Whitefish deal. It took over a month to get a contract out, and then it went on a no-bid contract to a company that has, literally, two employees, and now they are charging rates double customary emergency rates. And it's just coincidence that the two employees happen to know a cabinet secretary. In fact, the secretary's kid had a summer job with them.

This is sounding very, very, swampy.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 04:22 AM   #309
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That tends to happen after hurricanes.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 04:40 AM   #310
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I listened to someone on NPR last night discussing the Whitefish deal. It took over a month to get a contract out, and then it went on a no-bid contract to a company that has, literally, two employees, and now they are charging rates double customary emergency rates. And it's just coincidence that the two employees happen to know a cabinet secretary. In fact, the secretary's kid had a summer job with them.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, if you pump enough extra **** into the swamp it will inevitably begin to drain.

From the top.

This is what we are seeing.

So Trump's vow to "drain the swamp" is being kept. Just not in the way his bedazzled supporters had expected.

They will, of course, cheerfully and enthusiastically latch on to the idea that he has kept that promise without acknowledging in any fashion the manner by which he has done that.
Old 27th October 2017, 05:31 AM   #311
Thermal
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I personally think you're being over-optimistic, but I guess that at least that's better than being dismal. President Trump is behaving exactly as Candidate Trump and Businessman Trump did before him. Expecting a 70-year-old to suddenly and fundamentally change their entire persona and value system is, IMO, a little much. As Pterry would say, a leopard doesn't change his shorts
I know, I know. Slight derail, but I am a generation younger than the President, and I know personally that when I am entrusted with the welfare of others, whether kids, customers, workers or students, that I set my usual flippancy aside and take my responsibilities dead seriously. How can a man sit in the Oval Office and not appreciate the immense gravity of his position? How the hell can he not look around him and have an altruistic epiphany: Holy ****, this isn't some hack TV show or real estate hustle, these are real body bags?

Old 27th October 2017, 06:46 AM   #312
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

As I have pointed out elsewhere, if you pump enough extra **** into the swamp it will inevitably begin to drain.

From the top.

This is what we are seeing.

So Trump's vow to "drain the swamp" is being kept. Just not in the way his bedazzled supporters had expected.

They will, of course, cheerfully and enthusiastically latch on to the idea that he has kept that promise without acknowledging in any fashion the manner by which he has done that.
Ah, you are thinking of a different approach to the one I had envisioned. which was to dig a bottomless pit.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:10 AM   #313
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I know, I know. Slight derail, but I am a generation younger than the President, and I know personally that when I am entrusted with the welfare of others, whether kids, customers, workers or students, that I set my usual flippancy aside and take my responsibilities dead seriously. How can a man sit in the Oval Office and not appreciate the immense gravity of his position? How the hell can he not look around him and have an altruistic epiphany: Holy ****, this isn't some hack TV show or real estate hustle, these are real body bags?
There are many, many reasons. He could be completely overwhelmed by the whole situation and the only way that he can possibly deal with it is to pretend that it doesn't exist. He could be so completely self-absorbed that things only become real when they have an impact on him personally. He could have some personality disorder which means that he finds it impossible to feel any kind of empathy. He could feel empathy but only for a limited subset of society (rich white men).

Or of course he could be doing the job that those who voted for him wanted him to do. They don't care about brownish people on an island in the Caribbean, they care about getting tax cuts and keeping white people in positions of privilege.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:48 AM   #314
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

There are many, many reasons. He could be completely overwhelmed by the whole situation and the only way that he can possibly deal with it is to pretend that it doesn't exist. He could be so completely self-absorbed that things only become real when they have an impact on him personally. He could have some personality disorder which means that he finds it impossible to feel any kind of empathy. He could feel empathy but only for a limited subset of society (rich white men).

<snip>

I have seen nothing in his entire career which suggests he is capable of feeling empathy for anyone but himself.
Old 27th October 2017, 08:05 AM   #315
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse

The US President tells whopping great lies - not being economical with the truth or cherry-picking favourable parts of a wider story or spinning a story - and whilst the "reputable" press attempt to report on it, the sheer volume of lies seems to have stunned his opposition into silence and his supporters believe whatever rubbish they're told.
This is Trump's MO in a nutshell.

Nothing ever sticks to him because he goes from one lie/scandal to the next, no one has a chance to keep up with him.

By the time anyone gets around to seriously looking at anything he has said or done, he has said or done half a dozen other (possibly worse) things, which then knock the previous thing(s) out of public conscience.
Old 27th October 2017, 09:37 AM   #316
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
By the time anyone gets around to seriously looking at anything he has said or done, he has said or done half a dozen other (possibly worse) things, which then knock the previous thing(s) out of public conscience.
The public has no conscience.

Maybe a consciousness, but I have my doubts about that. Especially these days.
Old 27th October 2017, 11:49 AM   #317
dann
Illuminator

I have seen nothing in his entire career which suggests he is capable of feeling empathy for anyone but himself.
Rosebud!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 11:53 AM   #318
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
You almost have to be impressed. The "Gish Gallop" shouldn't be possible when the conversation isn't one one one but I'll be damned if he doesn't pull it off.

And in a way I think what he is doing is.... sorta genius (for very specific, very horrible usages of genius.) Puerto Rico has no voting power and regardless of how big of a scandal his handling of Puerto Rico is now by the time the election roles around he's going to have done so much other stuff that Puerto Rico is going to be reduced to to a talking point bullet if that. I'm serious when I say I doubt there will be any practical fallout from this.

Politically it's brilliant, as cynical as that is to say. He might actually have weaponized "Missing the forests for the trees."

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:16 PM   #319
Civet
Graduate Poster

More reporting on the Whitefish contract. FEMA's saying they never reviewed the contract even though the contract language states that they did. White House is saying this was all PREPA. Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:17 PM   #320
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
You almost have to be impressed. The "Gish Gallop" shouldn't be possible when the conversation isn't one one one but I'll be damned if he doesn't pull it off.

And in a way I think what he is doing is.... sorta genius (for very specific, very horrible usages of genius.) Puerto Rico has no voting power and regardless of how big of a scandal his handling of Puerto Rico is now by the time the election roles around he's going to have done so much other stuff that Puerto Rico is going to be reduced to to a talking point bullet if that. I'm serious when I say I doubt there will be any practical fallout from this.

Politically it's brilliant, as cynical as that is to say. He might actually have weaponized "Missing the forests for the trees."
Trump's pretty good at it, no doubt about that, but he does have help from the currently extremely-charged and polarised political climate.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events