ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer

Old 21st October 2017, 10:46 AM   #41
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
One more aspect, we may need to check: In view of SR can also be a natural healing méchanism, whether it can also revert cancer cells to become normal cells? Actually, clearing killed cells in mass can lead tó heavy need of body cleaning mechanism which otherwise can also be quite harmful. So body def. Mechnism may not opt it till all other possibilities are exhausted. Since these béing self but abnormal cells, bódy def. can try it. DNA repair mech. well exists in our body.
As to the here quoted, NO!!! None of it applies to anything but the errors and silly assumptions made in the embrowned, enlarged and emboldened paragraph with which you responded and I embiggened, embrowned and emboldened for ease of examination by the actually qualified on the topic and it's fatal and many flaws!!!!!
[size="3"]
Mod InfoContinued from here.
Posted By:kmortis
As to the title : THERE ARE NO POSSIBLE SCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS OF HOMEOPATHY AS THERE IS NO SCIENCE AT ALL TO BE FOUND IN HOMEOPATHY OR IT'S ILK!!!!!!!!!!!
The last three words mean anything related to/like homeopathy.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 21st October 2017 at 10:50 AM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 12:56 PM   #42
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

"... I embiggened, embrowned and emboldened for ease of examination..."

Jiggery-pokery with font attributes has no effect whatever on the underlying semantic morass betrayed by the words themselves. Gibberish repeated in whatever format remains gibberish.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 01:58 PM   #43
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post

Jiggery-pokery with font attributes has no effect whatever on the underlying semantic morass betrayed by the words themselves. Gibberish repeated in whatever format remains gibberish.
Kumar's rhetoric reminds me of a stoner friend of mine. He's much easier to understand if you imagine each of his missives are preceded by a HUUUUGE bong hit...

and the words, "You know what would be REALLY cool? If..."

Try it next time you read one of Kumar's posts. Read it in whatever you consider a stereotypical "stoner" voice.

Since this is a alt-med thread, you can go with imagining him using an all-natural, compostable bong.

halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 03:21 PM   #44
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
As to the title : THERE ARE NO POSSIBLE SCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS OF HOMEOPATHY AS THERE IS NO SCIENCE AT ALL TO BE FOUND IN HOMEOPATHY OR IT'S ILK!!!!!!!!!!!
The last three words mean anything related to/like homeopathy.

I don't think the thread title is actually Kumar's fault: I think it was applied to a bunch of merged threads by a moderator.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 06:17 PM   #45
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Bong hits? We preferred shotgun - but that was more than 35 years ago. Guess I'm out of touch with chemically induced states of mind.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 06:30 PM   #46
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Tissue repair and regeneration involves growth and multiplication of cells. It is not something that happens inside the cells so as to be able to make cancerous cells non-cancerous. Remember what the basic problem with cancer cells is?
What tissue repair and regenératión can be possible by such physiological regulation?
Old 21st October 2017, 06:32 PM   #47
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the thread title is actually Kumar's fault: I think it was applied to a bunch of merged threads by a moderator.
Yes. From my side discussions on that are over.
Old 21st October 2017, 08:07 PM   #48
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Kumar, I know you are ignoring me, probably with good reason as frankly all I really do is take the piss, which is too easy really with all the crap you post, but listen this time.

I have stage 4 cancer, started in the bowel, and has moved to my liver, lungs and probably a few other places by now. (I'm avoiding technical terms.) Your posts banging on about homeopathy (which is bollocks by the way) and things you just don't have a clue about, and probably never will, like spontaneous remission and the immune system, which to understand properly take years of medical training and a solid grasp of science, both of which you lack (understatement of the year?) are quite disrespectful, both to people who are dealing with cancer, and the professionals helping us, from oncologists, through dietitians and all the support staff like radiologists, nurses, and researchers trying to find cures and treatments for what is a very complex series of diseases.
Sitting on your little ivory tower mountaintop, banging on about odds, religion, your woeful interpretation of the laws of nature will help no one, least of all yourself.
Get a job, or a hobby within your capabilities - I suggest basket weaving or something.
Bottom line is I am going to die relatively soon. Might be a year, hopefully will be a bit longer. The chances of me making it through the next five are slim to remote. I'm doing my best, as are all the amazing people I deal with on an almost daily basis, to make it as long as possible. They are real, as am I. Your contribution to medicine is nil, nada, or even less if that's possible as your faith in garbage like homeopathy and all the other nonsense you bang on about can get people killed, or take time away from them that real medicine could give them.
So I respectfully ask you to stop it.
If not I'll continue to take the piss, and even that is probably more than your ideas are worth. You can ignore me (I stand by what I said about your daughter) but I am right, and you will be forever wrong.
Well that kinda sucks. I can relate because my sister had breast cancer, extensive chemo, mastectomy/reconstruction, and all of the side effects pertaining. Yet here she is still vertical and trying to organise a movie trip with me to Bladerunner 2049 (we are old enough to have seen and read the original)

Were she to have followed Kumar's advice, she would be ten years dead. And I am fairly sure what she would say to Kumar.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:25 PM   #49
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well that kinda sucks. I can relate because my sister had breast cancer, extensive chemo, mastectomy/reconstruction, and all of the side effects pertaining. Yet here she is still vertical and trying to organise a movie trip with me to Bladerunner 2049 (we are old enough to have seen and read the original)

Were she to have followed Kumar's advice, she would be ten years dead. And I am fairly sure what she would say to Kumar.
I am not ad vicing. I am checking by logical and indicative presentations. I do/can not interfere and decide onc's, choice & fate.

Btw, how you can claim above with A&F?
Old 21st October 2017, 09:45 PM   #50
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Kumar, I know you are ignoring me, probably with good reason as frankly all I really do is take the piss, which is too easy really with all the crap you post, but listen this time.

I have stage 4 cancer, started in the bowel, and has moved to my liver, lungs and probably a few other places by now. (I'm avoiding technical terms.) Your posts banging on about homeopathy (which is bollocks by the way) and things you just don't have a clue about, and probably never will, like spontaneous remission and the immune system, which to understand properly take years of medical training and a solid grasp of science, both of which you lack (understatement of the year?) are quite disrespectful, both to people who are dealing with cancer, and the professionals helping us, from oncologists, through dietitians and all the support staff like radiologists, nurses, and researchers trying to find cures and treatments for what is a very complex series of diseases.
Sitting on your little ivory tower mountaintop, banging on about odds, religion, your woeful interpretation of the laws of nature will help no one, least of all yourself.
Get a job, or a hobby within your capabilities - I suggest basket weaving or something.
Bottom line is I am going to die relatively soon. Might be a year, hopefully will be a bit longer. The chances of me making it through the next five are slim to remote. I'm doing my best, as are all the amazing people I deal with on an almost daily basis, to make it as long as possible. They are real, as am I. Your contribution to medicine is nil, nada, or even less if that's possible as your faith in garbage like homeopathy and all the other nonsense you bang on about can get people killed, or take time away from them that real medicine could give them.
So I respectfully ask you to stop it.
If not I'll continue to take the piss, and even that is probably more than your ideas are worth. You can ignore me (I stand by what I said about your daughter) but I am right, and you will be forever wrong.
Yes true. I read your above post quoted by other poster so accepted you request in my goodness(but you never).

While feeling bit sorry on you condition, as told be you and pray for all well, I can now very well understand about your attitude due to so much odd. However, I just tell you, nothing homeopathic(just mentioning it here only for you) is there in consideration and discussions about SR. I tried to indicate it many times but posters here have odd perceptions about me, which I can not change. A&F Truth. Now henceforth, I do not and shall not mind your talks. You are now free to post anything about me which I shall also not ignore. May God grace you.
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:20 AM   #51
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I am not ad vicing. I am checking by logical and indicative presentations. I do/can not interfere and decide onc's, choice & fate.

Btw, how you can claim above with A&F?
Because she is alive and not dead, duh.
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:37 AM   #52
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Because she is alive and not dead, duh.
Yes but Anita Moorjani(case of SR) is also alive look to be in perfect health. How we can prove A&F of either?
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:37 AM   #53
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I am not ad vicing. I am checking by logical and indicative presentations.

You are not "checking" anything; you are Just Asking Questions.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:38 AM   #54
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

You are not "checking" anything; you are Just Asking Questions.
How asking questions can not be checking?
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:41 AM   #55
fagin
Illuminator

Yep, my mother and grandmother both had bowel cancer, caught it soon enough and although both had large chunks of their innards removed, managed ok, my mother is still going after 10 years at 82, and grandmother died after a stroke at 93. Unfortunately I dicked around so long before having it seen to and it's progressed so far and wide it's just a matter of when, not if.
It's kind of weird to start seeing the rest of your life in terms of months instead of years or decades. Focuses the mind a bit.

Yes true. I read your above post quoted by other poster so accepted you request in my goodness(but you never).

While feeling bit sorry on you condition, as told be you and pray for all well, I can now very well understand about your attitude due to so much odd. However, I just tell you, nothing homeopathic(just mentioning it here only for you) is there in consideration and discussions about SR. I tried to indicate it many times but posters here have odd perceptions about me, which I can not change. A&F Truth. Now henceforth, I do not and shall not mind your talks. You are now free to post anything about me which I shall also not ignore. May God grace you.
Kumar, pray all you like if it makes you feel better, it won't do anything for me.
I know from your posts that you are not a bad person, probably quite the opposite, but you are quite misguided, and your English is still atrocious.
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:52 AM   #56
fagin
Illuminator

Yes but Anita Moorjani(case of SR) is also alive look to be in perfect health. How we can prove A&F of either?
The doctor who actually treated her, with chemo, seems to think it was a remarkable recovery, but not that remarkable.

Quote:
'Hodgkin's disease is quite curable,' says Chan. 'It can have a dramatic response to chemotherapy. If it had been another cancer patient in her state, I wouldn't have expected her to survive, but with lymphoma, it's never too late.
http://www.scmp.com/article/580612/r...modern-science

As for the other doctors quoted in the article, her GP was obviously a dangerous quack, and the other one is speculating.
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:55 AM   #57
Mojo
Mostly harmless

How asking questions can not be checking?

Because if you bothered to check anything before posting you would not need to ask the questions. You are proposing ideas, most if not all if which have no beside in reality, in the hope that someone will validate them. You say you are asking people to "check" your ideas to make it less apparent that you are advocating nonsense.

Old 22nd October 2017, 03:08 AM   #58
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Kumar, pray all you like if it makes you feel better, it won't do anything for me.
I know from your posts that you are not a bad person, probably quite the opposite, but you are quite misguided, and your English is still atrocious.
You may know, attitude of my that doctor daughter. Today I just casually talked about your case and my feelings about Cancer. Inspite of my telling about your odd comments on her, she asked me boldly, if you know anything and can do anything, you should do. This is her type of Doctor's ethics. Therefore we respect doctors here upto worshiping level. But since, inspite of understanding some logics & dynamics, I am not competent to do anything for others.
Old 22nd October 2017, 03:32 AM   #59
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

The doctor who actually treated her, with chemo, seems to think it was a remarkable recovery, but not that remarkable.

http://www.scmp.com/article/580612/r...modern-science

As for the other doctors quoted in the article, her GP was obviously a dangerous quack, and the other one is speculating.
Yes since many things were involved in this case, many speculations can be made. But nothing in absolute sense. Recovery was bit miracle and spontaneous type and complete. I doubt, it was recoverable by routine treatments. Therefore I previously doubted, remission either due to treatment or due to disease or due to immune response. Why can't it be by so called physiological regulation by Immune system on ultimate, somewhat as last effort? Her organs were acutely shut down which could had changed whole Biochemistry of body probably bringing remission. We need to check this type of cases very very carefully, deeply and dynamically. Probably, if really dedicated competent research senior scientist study my relevant posts in these topics, he may get some good clues which can help to many.
Old 22nd October 2017, 03:35 AM   #60
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Because if you bothered to check anything before posting you would not need to ask the questions. You are proposing ideas, most if not all if which have no beside in reality, in the hope that someone will validate them. You say you are asking people to "check" your ideas to make it less apparent that you are advocating nonsense.
What are you saying: whether I am asking, checking, telling, indicating or advocating---in short getting or giving? We also need discussions on dynamics.
Old 22nd October 2017, 03:42 AM   #61
fagin
Illuminator

Not really, to expand, from the article:

Quote:
Oncologist haematologist T.K. Chan was one of those who treated Moorjani last February when she was admitted to the Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital and says she was close to death.

Chan and the other specialists tapped her chest to drain her lungs, which he says probably saved her life. They then began chemotherapy, a treatment she had refused for 31/2 years.

'Hodgkin's disease is quite curable,' says Chan. 'It can have a dramatic response to chemotherapy. If it had been another cancer patient in her state, I wouldn't have expected her to survive, but with lymphoma, it's never too late.

'Whether the spiritual experience helped, I'm not in a position to say. Let's just say she did do a little better than expected as a patient who was critically ill. It was a remarkable recovery. But I feel it was the chemotherapy, definitely, and the emergency draining of the chest.

'To be scientific, if she refused treatment from us and recovered, it could be due to her experience, but she did receive chemotherapy so it's not something absolute.'
Once she got proper treatment, she recovered. Seems simple enough to me.
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:17 AM   #62
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Not really, to expand, from the article:

Once she got proper treatment, she recovered. Seems simple enough to me.
Whatever but it was like miracle type recover. Quite quick most recovery i.e within a week, id also a big thought.
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:34 AM   #63
fagin
Illuminator

No, it might have been a miracle if she didn't have proper treatment.

As it stands, she got a bit lucky. And medicine did what medicine tries to do.
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:53 AM   #64
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

No, it might have been a miracle if she didn't have proper treatment.

As it stands, she got a bit lucky. And medicine did what medicine tries to do.
Whether quick and complete remission (probably without residue side effects) is possible with chemotherapy or other regular medical treatments of cancer?
Old 22nd October 2017, 05:38 AM   #65
Mojo
Mostly harmless

What are you saying: whether I am asking, checking, telling, indicating or advocating---in short getting or giving? We also need discussions on dynamics.

You arrive making a statement of some sort, and asking other posters to "check" it. Other posters point out to you that the statement is contradicted by what is already known, but you ignore this and repeat the statement, eventually indulging in special pleading, accusations that posters who disagree with you have vested interests, and your "A&F" nonsense. This is not the behaviour of someone who is sincere in their intention of checking their ideas.

Old 22nd October 2017, 05:40 AM   #66
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Whether quick and complete remission (probably without residue side effects) is possible with chemotherapy or other regular medical treatments of cancer?

"Now is the woodcock near the gin."

Old 22nd October 2017, 05:58 AM   #67
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

You arrive making a statement of some sort, and asking other posters to "check" it. Other posters point out to you that the statement is contradicted by what is already known, but you ignore this and repeat the statement, eventually indulging in special pleading, accusations that posters who disagree with you have vested interests, and your "A&F" nonsense. This is not the behaviour of someone who is sincere in their intention of checking their ideas.
Whatever. Things should come to certain satisfactory conclusion. Let us not repeat same only story.
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:44 AM   #68
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Whatever. Things should come to certain satisfactory conclusion. Let us not repeat same only story.

We will "repeat same only story" for as long as you refuse to learn from what others tell you.

Old 22nd October 2017, 07:30 AM   #69
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

We will "repeat same only story" for as long as you refuse to learn from what others tell you.
Same can apply on you. If you just pass the time, you can but avoid derailing the thread.
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:11 AM   #70
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Same can apply on you. If you just pass the time, you can but avoid derailing the thread.
The thread has been derailed ever since Page One where it was shown the OP has no basis in reality. Repeating absurd and/or disproven assertions IS "the same old story."
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:54 AM   #71
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

The thread has been derailed ever since Page One where it was shown the OP has no basis in reality. Repeating absurd and/or disproven assertions IS "the same old story."
Okay as you think in you.
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:57 PM   #72
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Okay as you think in you.
Well, at least you concede your posts are nonsense.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:07 PM   #73
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

That I shall do. But when those are quoted, I felt casually, probably that poster may be understanding these and so can help. Just casual.
I think people are tired of doing your homework for you.

Hans
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:16 PM   #74
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

That is why I embiggened, embrowned and embolded - so no one would miss noticing the blather for the blather it is!!!!!!!!! I did not write the original claim I just made it much more visible for anyone who might miss it's load of FAIL!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:50 PM   #75
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I think people are tired of doing your homework for you.

Hans
Bit opposite.
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:19 PM   #76
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Bit opposite.
Not even close. You have presented NO accurate results or evidence, NO proven or even provable (based on your descriptions and phrasings) evidence or accurate results for any of your claims and you still cannot explain anything you keep claiming to try to explain based on your clearly demonstrated inability to translate your claimed beliefs/findings/claims into readable English - much less into a paper/papers acceptable for academic journal publication.

Wash this space!

Old 23rd October 2017, 01:48 AM   #77
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Bit opposite.
Sorry, but you are the one with homework to do. You claim that homeopathy works medically. You are the one challenging the paradigm. You are the one who must try to provide evidence.

And no, "mass observation since long" does not cut it. We can cite mas observation since long for many silly ideas.

Hans
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:59 AM   #78
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Sorry, but you are the one with homework to do. You claim that homeopathy works medically. You are the one challenging the paradigm. You are the one who must try to provide evidence.

And no, "mass observation since long" does not cut it. We can cite mas observation since long for many silly ideas.

Hans
I think, discussions on it are over in A&F since A&F words were confirmed by a quite competent poster here.
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:59 AM   #79
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Bit opposite.
That's a bald faced lie and I think you know it.
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:02 AM   #80
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

I think, discussions on it are over in A&F since A&F words were confirmed by a quite competent poster here.
If you could rid yourself of your obsession with A&F - which simply does not exist* - you might possibly fare better in an exchange of ideas. And you might just possibly stop making fairy-story claims which have no supporting evidence. "A quite competent poster" might be a fortunate find, but one point does not describe a line (see Euclid), and one source not backed up with evidence does not establish something as bring reflected in reality.

*Others have repeatedly tried to disabuse you of that fallacy along with many others.

Last edited by Peregrinus; 23rd October 2017 at 06:05 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology