ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shooting incidents , Texas incidents

Old 5th November 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Mass shooting in small town Texas

Multiple deaths

More to follow as becomes clearer

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41880511
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:01 PM   #2
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Quick!! To the Thoughts and Prayers mobile!

STAT!
Old 5th November 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Reports at least 27 dead
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

STAT!
You're terrible, but I LOL'd so hard.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:08 PM   #5
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of wounded.
Old 5th November 2017, 01:13 PM   #6
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh... At least two "Here is the shooter" posts have started circulating FB with different people claimed as the shooter.
Old 5th November 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Was he white and did he use a bump stock?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

STAT!
Yes, prayers wont solve anything. Nobody says they would. It's expressing sympathy, nothing more. Get over it.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Was it a Muslim or a red blooded American?

We need to know whether this was terrorism or simply the price of freedom and we can't even talk about doing anything about it.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:34 PM   #10
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

We need to know whether this was terrorism or simply the price of freedom and we can't even talk about doing anything about it.
True. Very sad, but true.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump has tweeted from Japan:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...65906086031363

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:40 PM   #12
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Well, it's a First Baptist church, so most likely a majority black membership. Should be interesting to see the suspect...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:40 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

I'm sure it lifts the spirits of all the affected families to know that Trump is monitoring the situation

Great man........great man............The best.....man

Old 5th November 2017, 01:45 PM   #14
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The shooter was in 'full combat gear', apparently.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:46 PM   #15
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I'm sure it lifts the spirits of all the affected families to know that Trump is monitoring the situation

Great man........great man............The best.....man
I'm far from a Trump supporter, but what exactly did you expect him to do from Japan where it is the middle of the night right now?

This is exactly the type of message any leader from any country at a similar time sends when woken up in the middle of the night.

The question remains what will he do later once things become clearer, but to condemn this pretty much is condemning that he breathes air.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:48 PM   #16
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Some fine people on both sides according to the president
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 01:49 PM   #17
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I'm far from a Trump supporter, but what exactly did you expect him to do from Japan where it is the middle of the night right now?

This is exactly the type of message any leader from any country at a similar time sends when woken up in the middle of the night.

The question remains what will he do later once things become clearer, but to condemn this pretty much is condemning that he breathes air.
The same respectful public statement that doesn't involve tweeting.

Old 5th November 2017, 01:51 PM   #18
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Well, it's a First Baptist church, so most likely a majority black membership. Should be interesting to see the suspect...
A picture in the DAILY MAIL of 'concerned relatives' outside the church doesn't bear this theory out.

Old 5th November 2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
There are millions of white Baptists in the USA, especially in the South.

ETA: And here is their Facebook page.

My bet would be on a member (or former member) with a grudge.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 5th November 2017 at 01:55 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:04 PM   #20
Cain
Straussian

I find the whole thing difficult to believe. Sure, this kind of thing can happen in California, but Texans are armed.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:06 PM   #21
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

My bet would be another bored want to be famous idiot. Based on statistics. But srsly, people like that would kill even without guns. I wouldn't invest much hope into gun control in this regard.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:07 PM   #22
DreamingNaiad
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
My bet would be another bored want to be famous idiot. Based on statistics. But srsly, people like that would kill even without guns. I wouldn't invest much hope into gun control in this regard.
I doubt they would have managed such a high body-count.
DreamingNaiad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:08 PM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As many?
Old 5th November 2017, 02:08 PM   #24
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Probably correct. That simply shows my ignorance of relgion... I always thought First Baptist was usually black and American Baptist was usually white. I obviously know nothing! Mea culpa!
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:09 PM   #25
Ryokan

Yes, the man could have used a swimming pool, I guess. It would have caused the same amount of casualties.

Sadly, this Onion article is as relevant as ever:

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-p...s-r-1819580358
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:17 PM   #26
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

So he remembered to show sympathy for the victims and their families first this time. I wonder who really has his phone.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:18 PM   #27
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Police shoot him dead after a 'pursuit', it is being reported.

If this fellow was in combat gear and armed with an AK-assault, could be a neo-nazi survivalist, with a handy captive audience for his target...?

Old 5th November 2017, 02:20 PM   #28
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yes, prayers wont solve anything. Nobody says they would. It's expressing sympathy, nothing more. Get over it.
And then nobody does anything.
Old 5th November 2017, 02:22 PM   #29
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

According to this person, it was some guy who first killed his family. Claims source is CBS.

Makes sense as domestic violence is a key motive for many shootings.

[cut]

Last edited by Vixen; 5th November 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 5th November 2017, 02:22 PM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Paul Ryan on Twitter
"Reports out of Texas are devastating. The people of Sutherland Springs need our prayers right now."

The murdered victims were in a church, praying. If prayers did anything, they'd still be alive, you worthless dick.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:27 PM   #31
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Paul Ryan on Twitter
"Reports out of Texas are devastating. The people of Sutherland Springs need our prayers right now."

The murdered victims were in a church, praying. If prayers did anything, they'd still be alive, you worthless dick.
Nailed him on both counts. Prayers mean crap and he is a worthless dick!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:28 PM   #32
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I find the whole thing difficult to believe. Sure, this kind of thing can happen in California, but Texans are armed.
It's almost as if armed bystanders are no help!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:28 PM   #33
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Paul Ryan on Twitter

It does make you shake your head really

Old 5th November 2017, 02:32 PM   #34
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good afternoon. I wonder what Shinzō Abe, thinks about this hanging out with Trump? More people were just shot to death in a morning church session in Texas than were shot to death in most years in Japan. Would this be a topic of discussion between them? Will Shinzō Abe say something inappropriate and blame the mayor of Sutherland Springs Texas?
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 5th November 2017 at 02:34 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:32 PM   #35
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
As many?
Guy with truck in Nice killed 86, wounded over 400. With cops at the scene.
Old 5th November 2017, 02:35 PM   #36
Ryokan

And how often does that happen?

Do you think there's a reason why most mass killers in the USA use guns instead of vehicles or swimming pools? What do you think that reason is?
Old 5th November 2017, 02:38 PM   #37
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Paul Ryan on Twitter

Again, I believe he is offering sympathy, not solution. Can't you people understand this basic fact ?
Old 5th November 2017, 02:39 PM   #38
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It happened at a church, in the middle of the service even, so I think we can be reasonably confident they had the "prayers" part covered already.

The shooter was in 'full combat gear', apparently.
...what does that even mean? Several guns instead of one?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:40 PM   #39
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

He was an oppressed Muslim killing privileged white people, no big deal.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Last edited by Tony; 5th November 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 02:40 PM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It happened at a church, in the middle of the service even, so I think we can be reasonably confident they had the "prayers" part covered already.

...what does that even mean? Several guns instead of one?
A middle-aged vet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events