ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Democratic primaries , hillary clinton , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 8th November 2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Giz
Philosopher

Joe Biden didn't run because he expected a negative campaign by Hillary

It seems like DNC bigwigs are finally confirming that Hillary is indeed done:

"Joe Biden knew he could beat Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination but decided not to run because he feared a “stop at nothing” smear campaign by her supporters, he reveals in a new memoir"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...tive-campaign/
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
It seems like DNC bigwigs are finally confirming that Hillary is indeed done:

"Joe Biden knew he could beat Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination but decided not to run because he feared a “stop at nothing” smear campaign by her supporters, he reveals in a new memoir"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...tive-campaign/
Oh he "knew", did he?
Old 8th November 2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Also, "he expected a negative campaign"?

You mean like always happens in every race for the presidency?

Of course there would be a negative campaign against him, but that's not something unique to Hillary or her supporters, it's what all candidates do to some degree. Of course there would be opposition research, and of course the press would have taken a much harder look at him if he had ran than if he stayed on the sidelines. That's just how election campaigns are these days.

BTW, did Biden himself actually say that he "knew he could beat Hillary Clinton" or is that the reporter putting words in his mouth?
Old 8th November 2017, 07:26 PM   #4
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Oh he "knew", did he?
that is what the linked article says.

Do you have a basis to contradict it?

Source and context
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think Hillary would have called him "Little Joe", or "Crooked Joe", or "Lying Joe"? Probably not.
Old 8th November 2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

The Daily Mail has a bit more story and quotes from the book:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...p-nothing.html
Old 8th November 2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

First of all, I don't need any basis, it's up to the person who makes the claim to provide evidence.

What I do know is that there's no way he could "know" that. He might have thought it, but in all likelihood he would have been mistaken. Nobody knows how it would have played out, but at no point did he ever have a lead over her in the polls:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...cratic-primary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/...EeWEdXgcyYUWUg

Finally, I'm wondering whether Joe Biden actually said that or if the reporter put words in his mouth, because I don't see a direct quote in quotation marks. That makes me wonder what he actually said.
Old 8th November 2017, 08:06 PM   #8
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

First of all, I don't need any basis, it's up to the person who makes the claim to provide evidence.

What I do know is that there's no way he could "know" that. He might have thought it, but in all likelihood he would have been mistaken. Nobody knows how it would have played out, but at no point did he ever have a lead over her in the polls:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...cratic-primary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/...EeWEdXgcyYUWUg

Finally, I'm wondering whether Joe Biden actually said that or if the reporter put words in his mouth, because I don't see a direct quote in quotation marks. That makes me wonder what he actually said.
That is some next level pedantry. I think most people’s actual take away here is that he thought that Hillary and her supporters were going to attack and exploit the tragedy in his family.

Care to comment about that, or just going to quibble about terms.

Source and context
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 08:49 PM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

That is some next level pedantry. I think most people’s actual take away here is that he thought that Hillary and her supporters were going to attack and exploit the tragedy in his family.

No, these are just his thoughts and fears about hypothetical attacks, not actual facts. Nothing there specifically about "exploiting the tragedy in his family". That would be political malpractice anyway, it would backfire and I don't think they're that stupid. I mean, how would an opponent exploit the death of a candidate's son for political advantage? If anything that would gain them sympathy votes and lose votes for the candidate doing the attacking.

Compared to the primary on the Republican side, the Democratic one seemed positively genteel and polite by comparison. Some polite criticisms were made back and forth between Bernie and Hillary, but I don't recall any schoolyard insults or anything overly personal.
Old 8th November 2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

I think Joe didn't run for two reasons:

1. His heart wasn't in it as he was still dealing with the death of his son.

2. He knew that many Democrats wanted Hillary to be the first female President and the idea of Bill back in the White House in any role was VERY exciting.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:28 PM   #11
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Mod WarningRemoved response to derail
Posted By:TubbaBlubba

If Biden actually said that (I think his words from various points in the book have likely been interpreted to coming to that), what part is there to disagree with.

The preliminary campaign was in full tilt when his son finally succumbed (it's the same type of cancer McCain has, I read recently) in the spring of '15. He knows the Clintons and that there would be a rough-and-tumble fight. He's said in the book and in at least one interview recently that he and Hillary committed that if he did run they weren't going to run negative campaigns, but then closes that with a political disclaimer,... but your and my supporters can get a little rough at times.

Biden's faced nasty campaigns. The guy who said he'd like to beat Trump's ass is going to back away from a political fight? Or the grieving father was saying that it might not be the kind of thing he wanted to add to his plate at that moment.

Let's wait a day or two and see what Biden says. He's doing the book tour thing and if he actually meant it in the way it's being re-interpreted* he'll say so.

*The spin, of course, is that smiling lovable Joe was a-skeered of the big bad bullies because Hillary's such an unrepentant evil-doer that no sane person would run against her.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; Yesterday at 03:38 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:35 PM   #12
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
He's said in the book and in at least one interview recently that he and Hillary committed that if he did run they weren't going to run negative campaigns, but then closes that with a political disclaimer,... but your and my supporters can get a little rough at times.
Hmmm, you seem to be saying that Biden also thought his own supporters could be expected to get dirty, i.e. it's 50/50 blame... but the quote I've seen is:

“But if I ran, I told her, I would not run a negative campaign. She said the same,” he writes, in excerpts published by Mail Online, but then she added: “Although some of our supporters can get out of hand sometimes, it would not be me.”

... which is 100% Hillary, especially when followed by "“And Clinton backers sent the signal that they would not stop at voting records and policies if I did get in the race,” he writes.".
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 10:07 PM   #13
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Hmmm, you seem to be saying that Biden also thought his own supporters could be expected to get dirty, i.e. it's 50/50 blame... but the quote I've seen is:

“But if I ran, I told her, I would not run a negative campaign. She said the same,” he writes, in excerpts published by Mail Online, but then she added: “Although some of our supporters can get out of hand sometimes, it would not be me.”

... which is 100% Hillary, especially when followed by "“And Clinton backers sent the signal that they would not stop at voting records and policies if I did get in the race,” he writes.".
I'm willing to concede that if it's important but I fail to see that it is.

And it should be noted that he quotes her as saying "our supporters" and then doesn't point out that no, his supporters would never do such a thing. He owns the page and could've denied that on his supporters' behalf.

He's a grown up. He's a politician. He survived the plagiarism scandal, he survived the foot-in-mouth-disease reputation, he is a doyenne of the party known for tough in-fighting.

I'm not disputing that he may have had the thoughts in his head; I'm disputing that Joe Biden would run from a fight because he was afraid of the Billary machine. It may have been one of many thoughts running through his head. The news-consuming public likes stupid one line answers. There can't be myriad reasons for Hillary losing (or Trump winning). You can only pick one: Russian Interference, Comey's Double-Fakeout, Voter Suppression, Bad Dem Campaign.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 12:59 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Do you think Hillary would have called him "Little Joe", or "Crooked Joe", or "Lying Joe"? Probably not.
People are saying his father was a close personal friend of Lee Harvey Oswald.... that's what I've been told.
Old 9th November 2017, 05:27 AM   #15
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
I think Joe didn't run for two reasons:

1. His heart wasn't in it as he was still dealing with the death of his son.

2. He knew that many Democrats wanted Hillary to be the first female President and the idea of Bill back in the White House in any role was VERY exciting.
3. He was 73 years old at the time.
Old 9th November 2017, 05:32 AM   #16
Argumemnon
World Maker

Wouldn't it be on the claimant to support their claims?

Oh, wait. This news confirms your biases, so no proof is required.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 05:34 AM   #17
Argumemnon
World Maker

That is some next level pedantry.
I just love how much effort you can put in maintaining your various faiths, TBD. Apparently now pointing out that there is no quote to verify the claim with is pedantry!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 08:05 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Biden would have been a wonderful candidate, he's clean and articulate.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:11 AM   #19
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Biden would have been a wonderful candidate, he's clean and articulate.
Yeah, not like most crackers in the US.

Old 9th November 2017, 10:34 AM   #20
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Also, "he expected a negative campaign"?

You mean like always happens in every race for the presidency?

Of course there would be a negative campaign against him, but that's not something unique to Hillary or her supporters, it's what all candidates do to some degree. Of course there would be opposition research, and of course the press would have taken a much harder look at him if he had ran than if he stayed on the sidelines. That's just how election campaigns are these days.
One of these things is not like the others. TBD's problem is as obvious as his avatar.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 10:40 AM   #21
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
One of these things is not like the others. TBD's problem is as obvious as his avatar.
APOLOGIZE!

Source and context
Old 9th November 2017, 10:45 AM   #22
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

One comment: That's not what he said.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 10:48 AM   #23
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

One comment: That's not what he said.
Well I invite you to correct the record by posting what he said:

Source and context
Old 9th November 2017, 10:50 AM   #24
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Well I invite you to correct the record by posting what he said:
You already did, in the OP.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:02 AM   #25
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

This thread isn't about TBD
Old 9th November 2017, 11:05 AM   #26
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You already did, in the OP.
I didn't post the OP.... But it would appear that that you are suggesting that he was concerned only with Hillary's supporters and not Hillary?

Well I am certain that everyone would agree with the inference that he was concerned about Hillary, Hillary's surrogates and Hillary's supporters, indeed he specifically mentions that people were feeding the press with negative stories about his voting record.

It was pretty clear where that was coming from, and maintaining the fiction in the interest of plausible deniability that it was merely Hillary's "supporters" and not Hillary campaign is naive as hell.

Source and context
Old 9th November 2017, 11:21 AM   #27
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
You are correct.

This thread is yet another in a tedious series of distractions in which conservatives bore us about awful they think Hillary is, despite the fact that the behavior about which they're complaining pales dramatically in comparison to that of the guy they voted into office.

Let's everyone stay on topic, shall we?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 11:27 AM   #28
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You are correct.

This thread is yet another in a tedious series of distractions in which conservatives bore us about awful they think Hillary is, despite the fact that the behavior about which they're complaining pales dramatically in comparison to that of the guy they voted into office.

Let's everyone stay on topic, shall we?
Oh dear, it would appear that Joe Biden's book and comments relating thereto are "tedious" and "bore us."

In order to make this thread palatable to those who think that Joe Biden's book and comments relating thereto are "tedious" and "bore us," I strongly suggest that everyone post a joke, or maybe a funny cat picture.

Or better yet, just complain incessantly about Trump.

I for one wish to apologize quite vigorously and also very sincerely for having the temerity to

1. discuss Joe Biden's book and comments relating thereto which are "tedious" and "bore us."

2. not repeatedly mentioning Donald trump in every thread.

I weep for those who are bored and hope to do better in the future to not bore people with actual current events that are boring.

Godspeed.

Source and context
Old 9th November 2017, 11:34 AM   #29
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Oh dear, it would appear that Joe Biden's book and comments relating thereto are "tedious" and "bore us."

In order to make this thread palatable to those who think that Joe Biden's book and comments relating thereto are "tedious" and "bore us," I strongly suggest that everyone post a joke, or maybe a funny cat picture.

Godspeed.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:47 AM   #30
Giz
Philosopher

Worrying sign for 2020: Democrats appear to be unwilling to distance themselves from Clinton (Understandable if it was criticism from Trump but not so much when it is Joe Biden).

Worrying sign for the USA Politics sub-forum: Anything other than criticism of Trump appears to be regarded as an off-topic derail.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:37 PM   #31
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Yes, I owe TBD an apology:

I didn't post the OP....
I started reading this thread and the linked article, but stepped away for a while, and when I came back, for some reason I was thinking that you started the thread. Please accept my sincere apology.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:50 PM   #32
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I owe TBD an apology:

I started reading this thread and the linked article, but stepped away for a while, and when I came back, for some reason I was thinking that you started the thread. Please accept my sincere apology.
No need to apologize! Life happens.

Thank you in any event.

Source and context
Old 9th November 2017, 02:20 PM   #33
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Worrying sign for 2020: Democrats appear to be unwilling to distance themselves from Clinton (Understandable if it was criticism from Trump but not so much when it is Joe Biden). ...
Uhm ... which Democrats are you talking about? Got evidence?
Old 9th November 2017, 02:21 PM   #34
Toontown
Philosopher

It is good to know that "frigging" can be used without censure.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:55 PM   #35
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Let's wait a day or two and see what Biden says.
Hell no. Why wait when there are political points to be scored right now!

And if in 'a day or two' the truth turns out to be quite different, we will have already moved on to something else and everyone will remember "Joe Biden didn't run because Hillary was being mean to him..."
Old 9th November 2017, 06:33 PM   #36
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I for one wish to apologize quite vigorously and also very sincerely for having the temerity to

1. discuss Joe Biden's book and comments relating thereto which are "tedious" and "bore us."

2. not repeatedly mentioning Donald trump in every thread.

I weep for those who are bored and hope to do better in the future to not bore people with actual current events that are boring.

Godspeed.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Joe Biden's book is boring, I'm saying your schtick is.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 07:23 PM   #37
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Joe Biden's book is boring, I'm saying your schtick is.
Well, to be clear, you were actually whining about people discussing joe Biden’s book, which you declared.... what was it... oh right, tedious and that it bored you.

But now, it seems that my Schtick is boring you? Oh golly, well that is unfortunate. Because i am not going to stop exposing the despicable conduct of the Clinton cult.

Well, sorry to bore you. Thanks, tho, for letting everyone know how boring you find stuff.

Folks, do indeed try to entertain Johnny karate, will you?

Source and context
Old 10th November 2017, 10:02 AM   #38
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Negative Campaigning! No Way!

I always think of this classic example:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 04:07 PM   #39
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
3. He was 73 years old at the time.
4. "President" H Clinton and the DNC had the whole process rigged anyway, something Biden must surely have been aware of.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 04:09 PM   #40
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
4. "President" H Clinton and the DNC had the whole process rigged anyway, something Biden must surely have been aware of.
No.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics