ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:22 AM   #81
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You seem to want a President whose word is law. Seems to be that the difference between that and a dictator is a matter of semantics.

And you total ignoring of the whole question of what Trump's exact relations with Putin and Russia is astounding.
Actually I think the word you're looking for is "typical"
Old 16th February 2017, 11:30 AM   #82
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

You seem to want a President whose word is law. Seems to be that the difference between that and a dictator is a matter of semantics.

And you total ignoring of the whole question of what Trump's exact relations with Putin and Russia is astounding.
I'm curious as to how sunmaster reconciles his whole "well, he's the President, he can make those kinds of decisions and we can't gainsay him" deference to Trump with his railing against Obama for making what are (by sunmaster's own admission) the exact same kinds of of decisions.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 12:06 PM   #83
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
He was thrown under the bus by Donald Trump because he became a liability rather than an asset. It's as simple as that. You seem to be implying that's a bad thing.
Yeah, I guess I am saying that's a bad thing.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 12:09 PM   #84
Donal
Illuminator

Isn't saying Flynn was "thrown under the bus" an admission Trump is more involved than he has let on?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 12:13 PM   #85
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Trump has been known to utter non-true statements from time to time to suit his emotional needs of the moment.

I nominate this as the understatement of the century.
I'd second it, but there seem to be so many of these lately. It's tough to single out just one.

But the use of euphemisms like "non-true" in what is an almost pathological avoidance of the appropriate word, i.e."lie", should be noted as well.

Bonus points for that.
Old 16th February 2017, 12:17 PM   #86
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Crimea always has been part of Russia, like Scotland is a part of the UK, and New Mexico is part of America.
Not only is this claim utterly delusional but those comparisons make no sense whatsoever either. A better comparison would've been if Mexico invaded Texas and later maintained that Texas had always been a part of Mexico even-though Texas had been a part of the US for a long time.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 12:22 PM   #87
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

My attempt to satirize President Trump:

The media should be fired since they fired that great guy General Flynn.

Indeed, the media did such a good job of firing Flynn that not even a super winning man like me, Donald J. Trump, was quite unable to prevent the media from firing Flynn.

Now I have to go and find someone to take that job who the media will not be able to fire.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 12:25 PM   #88
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Trump said at the just concluded press conference that the firing of Flynn was made easier by the fact that he has had an excellent replacement for him already. Almost sounded like "I went along with their witchhunt but they'll see what that brings them". Will Tulsi surf in as a personified "stop supporting terrorists act"?
Old 16th February 2017, 12:30 PM   #89
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by imodium View Post
Sorry to ask, but how did McCain start the chaos in the middle east, Libya and Ukraine?

<snip>

He let himself be captured.

How else?
Old 16th February 2017, 12:32 PM   #90
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

CNN and the New York Times said that the information came from four current or former US intelligence officials. Although I'm not a fan of either media outlet, I doubt that they lied about their sources.

Why?

You certain seem to cheerfully harbor such doubts whenever you don't like what they are publishing.
Old 16th February 2017, 01:20 PM   #91
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The biggest issue I would have to say is that he lied about it to Pence and likely Donald too. Pence was going on CBS to specifically speak on the matter and asked Flynn if it was true, Flynn said it wasn't resulting in Pence denying it had happened, only to have evidence surface in the media proving it did. That wasn't a good look for Pence and the worse crime you can commit as a Public Servant is embarrassing your VP or Pres with an attempted cover up.
You are missing the elephant in the room, why didn't Trump address the issue when Pence told the press what Flynn assured him of?

Trump cannot claim he didn't see Pence's position, the Flynn denial included multiple Trumpettes like Conway and Spicer.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:30 PM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
True, the call itself can't be illegal. But he wasn't fired for that, he was fired for his actions afterwards.
That's Trump's claim which was as full of holes as my spaghetti strainer.

Trump is trying hard to deflect the fact he was and is making deals with the Russians behind the public's back, and the fact Trump was using foreign nationals to help him cheat in the election. And yes, breaking into your opponent's computers is comparable to breaking into the DNC HQ at the Watergate Hotel. Be it the Russians or the Plumbers, it's still election cheating.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th February 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:32 PM   #93
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's Trump's claim which was as full of holes as my spaghetti strainer.

Trump is trying hard to deflect the fact he was and is making deals with the Russians behind the public's back.
What?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:35 PM   #94
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Rumor has it that Trump is still pissed that no one has shown him where the 'Cone of Silence' is and he can't twitter on his shoe phone.
Old 16th February 2017, 01:36 PM   #95
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I like that the Trump administration is pointing at the intelligence community as the source for the leak. I won't be surprised if the source of the leak is the Trump team, who knew about the issue before Pence went off to defend Flynn on all the Sunday shows. Or the source of the leak could be Russia, who certainly knew of the issue and knew that there were transcripts within the intelligence community.

Trump used to like leaks. And not just from prostitutes. Why the change of heart? Will he not love the next Snowden as much as the current one?
Or maybe someone is just listening in on Trump's phone(s).
Old 16th February 2017, 01:38 PM   #96
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If Dennis Rodman didn't get caught under the Logan act, I doubt Flynn will.
What policy did Rodman discuss with Un? I don't think the Act is intended to apply to anyone who visits with a foreign leader.

Flynn won't be prosecuted because... Sessions.
Old 16th February 2017, 01:43 PM   #97
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Or maybe someone is just listening in on Trump's phone(s).
It's hard not to when he's on speakerphone.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:44 PM   #98
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

What?
You need it spelled out?

Never mind Obama's sanctions, never mind Putin helped get Trump elected, when Trump is elected he'll end the sanctions and deflect from the Russian hacking of the DNC computers by blaming the victims.
Old 16th February 2017, 01:58 PM   #99
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

You need it spelled out?
Sure, where's the evidence that Trump fired Flynn for something other than (eta: publicly) violating Trump's trust?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein

Last edited by Newtons Bit; 16th February 2017 at 02:04 PM.
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:59 PM   #100
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
On the subject of the links, Trump complained that it was fake news AND complained it was leaking sensitive information. It was either one or the other but cannot be both.

Similarly, Flynn's behaviour was sack-worthy or it was not. He can't blame the media for Flynn's behaviour and at the same time think his behaviour was worth the firing. If Flynn was genuinely offering to resign then Trump could have stood by him by not accepting the resignation.

It all seems to be a piece with Trump's relationship with the truth. It's not that Trump thinks he's lying, it is that he is indifferent to it. He is a bull *******.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 10

Mod WarningLet the autocensor do its job
Posted By:kmortis
And a ball licker and a rectum eater. But, none of this trumpfs his ignorance and evil!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 02:05 PM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Sure, where's the evidence that Trump fired Flynn for something other than violating Trump's trust?

I'l repeat my answer to PhantomWolf:

"... why didn't Trump address the issue when Pence told the press what Flynn assured him of?

Trump cannot claim he didn't see Pence's position, the Flynn denial included multiple Trumpettes like Conway and Spicer."

IOW, Trump's lie is full of holes.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:05 PM   #102
IIIClovisIII
Muse

Did Mr. Flynn even do anything wrong?

I mean you can bring up the Logan Act but the constitutionality of the law has been called into question.

I'd say his biggest crime is being a fearmongering Putin apologist.
IIIClovisIII is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 02:08 PM   #103
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by IIIClovisIII View Post

I mean you can bring up the Logan Act but the constitutionality of the law has been called into question.

Technically yes, he allegedly negotiated with a foreign government on behalf of the US without any authority to do so.

Unless SCOTUS overturns the law, just because people have raised questions does not negate it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th February 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:09 PM   #104
Spindrift

Until the Logan Act is declared unconstitutional, it's still the law and Flynn clearly violated it.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 02:13 PM   #105
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Lying to the VP and the American people anout it.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:21 PM   #106
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, where's the evidence that Trump fired Flynn for something other than (eta: publicly) violating Trump's trust?
Trump says he fired Flynn due to Flynn not being straight with Pence. However, for several weeks Trump has been aware of Flynn's actions, and aware that Pence (and other water carriers) were misrepresenting the facts. It's pretty clear that what triggered the firing was this information going public.

Essentially, Trump also lied to Pence -- a lie of omission I presume.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:29 PM   #107
Spindrift

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Trump says he fired Flynn due to Flynn not being straight with Pence. However, for several weeks Trump has been aware of Flynn's actions, and aware that Pence (and other water carriers) were misrepresenting the facts. It's pretty clear that what triggered the firing was this information going public.

I don't think Trump knows why he fired Flynn, except based on his Apprentice experience it would probably help the ratings for next week's show.
Old 16th February 2017, 03:02 PM   #108
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn denied to FBI agents in an interview last month that he had discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia with that country’s ambassador to the United States before President Trump took office, contradicting the contents of intercepted communications collected by intelligence agencies, current and former U.S. officials said.

The Jan. 24 interview potentially puts Flynn in legal jeopardy, as lying to the FBI is a felony, but any decision to prosecute would ultimately lie with the Justice Department. Some officials said bringing a case could prove difficult in part because Flynn may attempt to parse the definition of sanctions.

A spokesman for Flynn said he had no response. The FBI declined to comment.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...401_story.html

Lying to the vice president is okay. What about lying to the feds? Is it okay to commit felonies?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 03:14 PM   #109
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...401_story.html

Lying to the vice president is okay. What about lying to the feds? Is it okay to commit felonies?

If you're a Republican?

Sure.

If not, just being investigated is enough to portray you as convicted.
Old 16th February 2017, 04:37 PM   #110
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

Yea, that's my thought as well. Trump might be okay with people lying to him on occasion, but he can't tolerate the public knowing that one of his employees has lied to him and not been punished.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:10 PM   #111
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Trump's pick to replace Flynn turns down offer

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:22 PM   #112
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
It's one thing to accept a cabinet position that will see your name in every future US history book, even if the sitting president is a lying sociopath with barely two brain cells to rub together. It's hard to imagine why any decent, competent person would accept a staff job in that hellhole of a White House.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:25 PM   #113
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's hard to imagine why any decent, competent person would accept a staff job in that hellhole of a White House.
Love of country. You still have to think you'll be able to make a difference and it seems like that was the problem.
A friend of Harward's says he was reluctant to take NSA job bc the WH seems so chaotic; says Harward called the offer a "**** sandwich."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:29 PM   #114
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's one thing to accept a cabinet position that will see your name in every future US history book, even if the sitting president is a lying sociopath with barely two brain cells to rub together. It's hard to imagine why any decent, competent person would accept a staff job in that hellhole of a White House.
Same Reason why Trump can't find a good guy for his communications director.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:35 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Love of country. You still have to think you'll be able to make a difference and it seems like that was the problem.
A friend of Harward's says he was reluctant to take NSA job bc the WH seems so chaotic; says Harward called the offer a "**** sandwich."
Harward is an Annapolis Grad, and the creed of the MIddies is "A Midshipman does not lie,cheat or steal,or tolerate those who do".
I guess Harward thought there was too much he could not tolerate working for Trump.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:39 PM   #116
Stacko
Philosopher

Harward is an Annapolis Grad, and the creed of the MIddies is "A Midshipman does not lie,cheat or steal,or tolerate those who do".
I guess Harward thought there was too much he could not tolerate working for Trump.
Worse. He wasn't allowed to fire the laughably unqualified KT McFarland. How is an unqualified Fox News stooge a sticking point?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:30 PM   #117
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The sad part of the Harward story is that we'll just end up with someone worse.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:36 PM   #118
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The whole thing is a **** sandwich with diarrheal mayo!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 09:52 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
You'd think Trump would have asked him before announcing the engagement.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:33 PM   #120
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

You'd think Trump would have asked him before announcing the engagement.
I think this is the business/politics equivalent of "Grab 'em by the pussy."

I don't ask. I just do it. And they let you get away with it if you're rich or famous or President. They all want it. You just know they do; they're begging for it.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics