ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 9th November 2020, 08:09 AM   #201
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Healthcare in USA is designed to kill off poor people.
Not really, a better summary would be it is designed to make the most money.

That the poor don't have much money is why it seems skewed against the poor.
Old 9th November 2020, 08:15 AM   #202
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It is, in some ways, even stupider. Changing jobs, or becoming unemployed, while having health issues can wreak havoc on a families finances, even today. Our medical situation is tied to our employment situation, which is just crazy. However, the kind of scenarios you are describing are mostly a thing of the past. Obamacare helped a lot. Medical bankruptcies plummeted after it was put into effect. It may not be the best possible law, but it achieved some of its goals.
Your account is at variance with the facts

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/this...ankruptcy.html

And

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-b...istics-4154729
Old 9th November 2020, 08:23 AM   #203
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your links are not at variance with anything I said.
Old 9th November 2020, 08:58 AM   #204
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I don't see any practical difference.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:09 AM   #205
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I don't see any practical difference.
Keeping the poor just about alive for long enough to keep taking their money is the difference.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 09:12 AM   #206
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Your links are not at variance with anything I said.
Yes they, are medical bankruptcies have not seen the changes you claimed because of the ACA (and that is just one example.)
Old 9th November 2020, 11:27 AM   #207
erwinl
Master Poster

It's per year, at least for every plan I've ever dealt with.

And, you're right. As a 57 year old man on an Obamacare plan, I was paying something like 600 dollars per month for a plan that had a 5,000 dollar deductible. That's right. I would pay 7,000 dollars if I didn't get sick, plus an additional 5,000 dollars if I did, before the insurance companies paid a cent. And why was I on Obamacare? Because I was unemployed.

And yet it was still better than what there was before Obamacare. Trump was, and still is, trying to get rid of Obamacare, but we were told we shouldn't worry, because he has a secret plan to replace it. Assuming his efforts fail in the Supreme Court, as they are expected to, at least we won't have to worry about that for the next four years, but the health care system is still horribly messed up in America, and we certainly are not going to see huge changes for at least two years.

ETA: And the figures I throw around are greatly simplified. In reality, most plans come with tables that take one or two pages to explain exactly how much you will pay for several different categories of health care expenses.
Thanks.
I never knew it worked like that in the US (not with these costs anyway).

Here I pay just shy of 400 euro's per month for the two of us. this is not too dissimilar to what you pay. The amount of 'out of pocket' per year though, is about the same as my monthly fee, namely 385 euro's. Several basic kinds of medical services, like a visit to the general practitioner, are not paid from that 'out of pocket' money.

Note that I have a very comprehensive insurance and that the average monthly fee, is, I believe, about half of ours (a bit more than a half).
Old 9th November 2020, 11:47 AM   #208
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crackers View Post
They came there on cruise ships, on vacation, and liked it so much they decided to stay. How else could blacks have possibly gotten to Jamaica?”
User name checks out.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:50 AM   #209
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You say tomato.

It's also how it is designed to kill poor people.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:28 PM   #210
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Here I pay just shy of 400 euro's per month for the two of us. this is not too dissimilar to what you pay.
The price I quoted was for me alone. My wife, on a different plan, was more expensive. My 21 year old son, on a different plan, was much cheaper.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:30 PM   #211
angrysoba
Philosophile

Healthcare in USA is designed to kill off poor people.
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You say tomato.

I think “indifference” to the poor is more is more accurate. Insurance companies are in the business of making money not of orchestrating the Final Solution. The point is that if someone asked the insurance companies, “but how do these costs help the poor to afford or have access the healthcare?” The answer is “who cares? Not our problem! The business of business is business!” (Though maybe there will be some PR-inspired faux-CSR campaign for all I know which actually gives them some moral licensing cover - this last bit is just speculation.)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:29 AM   #212
erwinl
Master Poster

The price I quoted was for me alone. My wife, on a different plan, was more expensive. My 21 year old son, on a different plan, was much cheaper.
Oh.
That's truly expensive, if you put it like this.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 10th November 2020, 04:46 AM   #213
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You say tomato.

No it's a very real and significant difference.
Old 10th November 2020, 04:49 AM   #214
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Oh.

That's truly expensive, if you put it like this.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Please don't go off Meadmaker's at best anecdotes, his view of the USA healthcare system is at odds with the facts. Look at the links to the articles I've posted and follow the links within those articles if you want to know the facts.
Old 12th November 2020, 10:27 AM   #215
CORed
Philosopher

You say tomato.

I don't know if it's designed to kill poor people or that's just a desirable (to Banana Republicans) side effect.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:43 AM   #216
xjx388
Philosopher

Please don't go off Meadmaker's at best anecdotes, his view of the USA healthcare system is at odds with the facts. Look at the links to the articles I've posted and follow the links within those articles if you want to know the facts.

Meadmaker is stating the facts. Those are the costs for health insurance in the USA right now.

I’m on an employer plan and the monthly cost for a single employee on the basic HMO plan is $359 (of which our employer pays 65%). It’s double that for employee/spouse or employee/children or $718 (-$233.35). It’s $1436 (-$233.35) for employee family.
Old 13th November 2020, 12:47 AM   #217
dirtywick
Master Poster

My family plan at work, me wife and kids, is $350 per month and my employer pays $900 per month.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:57 AM   #218
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
My family plan at work, me wife and kids, is $350 per month and my employer pays $900 per month.

You are lucky that your employer pays so much of the cost. Most small businesses cover only a portion of the employee’s single rate.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:07 AM   #219
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You are lucky that your employer pays so much of the cost. Most small businesses cover only a portion of the employee’s single rate.
Yeah it's alright. I work in manufacturing and I think it's about an average plan. But manufacturing tends to have better benefits than other industries also, so I don't know.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 01:20 AM   #220
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Meadmaker is stating the facts. Those are the costs for health insurance in the USA right now.

I’m on an employer plan and the monthly cost for a single employee on the basic HMO plan is $359 (of which our employer pays 65%). It’s double that for employee/spouse or employee/children or $718 (-$233.35). It’s $1436 (-$233.35) for employee family.
Nope, read about the bankruptcies and so on. The articles I link to provide the references to actual data and so on.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics