ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st November 2020, 05:50 AM   #1561
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

Trump Announces Groundbreaking Rules to Lower Prescription Drug Prices https://breitbart.com/health/2020/11...n-drug-prices/ via

@BreitbartNews
Trump Announces Groundbreaking Rules to Lower Prescription Drug Prices
One of the rules will force drug companies to treat the U.S. as a "most favored nation," guaranteeing Americans lowest drug prices around the globe. | Health
breitbart.com
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 21st November 2020, 06:47 AM   #1562
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Just because -

My Pillow guy helps spring alleged killer Kyle Rittenhouse from jail

Not just him, though.

Quote:
Supporters have been donating money for his bail, and a lawyer Friday said cash from former “Silver Spoons” and “NYPD Blue” actor Ricky Schroeder and My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell helped spring Rittenhouse.

“KYLE RITTENHOUSE IS OUT OF JAIL.” attorney Lin Wood tweeted. “God bless ALL who donated to help #FightBack raise required $2M cash bail. Special thanks to Actor Ricky Schroder ... & Mike Lindell ... for putting us over the top.”
Behold Trump's America, where murdering BLM supporters leads to... that. To half-echo Pennyfarthing, we may as well start calling him a far right folk hero for doing so. Only half-echo, because "conservative" is a poor descriptor of the crowd that seems to be involved, by now.
Old 21st November 2020, 06:51 AM   #1563
dirtywick
Master Poster

If Lin Wood is his attorney he’ll be back in there pretty soon
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 06:55 AM   #1564
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
If Lin Wood is his attorney he’ll be back in there pretty soon
"Your honour, here is an affidavit stating that Hugo Chavez didn't kill someone in Venezuela twenty years ago. That proves that my client isn't a murderer."

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 06:56 AM   #1565
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't he do this several times already?
He does that every time he gets a "95% Approval Rate In The Republican Party!!!"
Old 21st November 2020, 06:45 PM   #1566
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump tweets

@BreitbartNews
Trump Announces Groundbreaking Rules to Lower Prescription Drug Prices
One of the rules will force drug companies to treat the U.S. as a "most favored nation," guaranteeing Americans lowest drug prices around the globe. | Health
breitbart.com

Okay, I've seen this before, and it still puzzles me. Isn't "most favored nation" a part of an agreement between nations?

Does Trump think the Big Pharma companies are their own country now, or something? Does he think their sales within the US are a result of some kind of treaty they've signed with the US?
Old 21st November 2020, 07:13 PM   #1567
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Okay, I've seen this before, and it still puzzles me. Isn't "most favored nation" a part of an agreement between nations?

Does Trump think the Big Pharma companies are their own country now, or something? Does he think their sales within the US are a result of some kind of treaty they've signed with the US?
It means nothing. It skirts the fact that US consumers pay more for drugs then foreign consumers, but most favored nation status has nothing to do with why.
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:20 AM   #1568
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just arrived at Virtual G20. Was here yesterday also (early), but some of the Fake News Media failed to report it accurately - as usual. My speech is available (they said I didn’t make a speech).

SO TRUE!
Quote Tweet

Sharyl Attkisson
@SharylAttkisson
Faceless Big Tech "fact checkers" disseminate false info, put their partisan opinions on studies & posts, & call it Truth. When asked who their gatekeepers are, they name "news" outlets responsible for some of the biggest disinformation of the past 4 yrs. #OhTheIrony RT
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:02 AM   #1569
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Just because -

My Pillow guy helps spring alleged killer Kyle Rittenhouse from jail

Not just him, though.

Behold Trump's America, where murdering BLM supporters leads to... that. To half-echo Pennyfarthing, we may as well start calling him a far right folk hero for doing so. Only half-echo, because "conservative" is a poor descriptor of the crowd that seems to be involved, by now.
It's too bad Ricky didn't choke on a silver spoon and die.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:45 AM   #1570
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's too bad Ricky didn't choke on a silver spoon and die.

Well, it's nice to finally have a good excuse to support my long-standing irrational dislike of him.
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:22 PM   #1571
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

...I'm a little bemused at something of an ad idea that I'm pondering about.

It would be quite interesting to have some not obviously anti-Republican PAC actually air ads urging people to write-in vote for Trump in the Georgia Senate elections, because that would be the most epic ways to troll the libs right now, in addition to showing support for the fine work that Trump's been doing.

Not entirely original, of course, but... it would be remarkably interesting to see how effective such a tactic would be.

Last edited by Aridas; 22nd November 2020 at 11:24 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:08 AM   #1572
dirtywick
Master Poster

I’m sure it work work well. They burned all their jerseys and smashed their coffee makers because someone on the internet told them to
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:27 AM   #1573
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Republican senators dropping Trump.

https://twitter.com/carlbernstein/st...9410%7Ctwgr%5E
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:38 AM   #1574
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Republican senators dropping Trump.

https://twitter.com/carlbernstein/st...9410%7Ctwgr%5E
Doesn't count unless they do more than think really hard about it.

To apply a Godwin: plenty of Germans didn't really want to support the Nazis.
Old 23rd November 2020, 04:47 AM   #1575
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
...I'm a little bemused at something of an ad idea that I'm pondering about.

It would be quite interesting to have some not obviously anti-Republican PAC actually air ads urging people to write-in vote for Trump in the Georgia Senate elections, because that would be the most epic ways to troll the libs right now, in addition to showing support for the fine work that Trump's been doing.

Not entirely original, of course, but... it would be remarkably interesting to see how effective such a tactic would be.
See if you can get them to send you money into the bargain. When the jig is revealed, donate the money to something socially aware and tell them so.

Like this: https://www.upworthy.com/a-town-came...hers-take-note
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 23rd November 2020 at 04:52 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:14 AM   #1576
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Doesn't count unless they do more than think really hard about it.

To apply a Godwin: plenty of Germans didn't really want to support the Nazis.
Bernstein said pretty much the same later in the thread:

"With few exceptions, their craven public silence has helped enable Trump’s most grievous conduct—including undermining and discrediting the US the electoral system."

His point seems to be more that they know what he's doing is deeply wrong yet they aren't dropping him.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:15 AM   #1577
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
His point seems to be more that they know what he's doing is deeply wrong yet they aren't dropping him.
Because they are trying to play both sides.
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:08 AM   #1578
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Just arrived at Virtual G20. Was here yesterday also (early), but some of the Fake News Media failed to report it accurately - as usual. My speech is available (they said I didn’t make a speech).

According to this article, the Saturday meeting started at 8:00 am, he started Tweeting about the election at 8:13 am, and left to go golfing at 10:00 am, skipping a coronavirus conference.

Quote:
On Saturday morning, Trump joined an online meeting of G20 leaders at 8 a.m. ET to discuss Covid-19 and other issues of concern. How did Trump approach this vitally important conference? He began tweeting about 13 minutes into the opening session, spewing more baseless claims about voter fraud in an effort to overturn the 2020 election. And by 10 a.m. Trump departed to go play golf, skipping a special side conference that was focused on the coronavirus crisis that's exploding in many countries -- including our own.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:15 AM   #1579
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
According to this article, the Saturday meeting started at 8:00 am, he started Tweeting about the election at 8:13 am, and left to go golfing at 10:00 am, skipping a coronavirus conference.
Jeez, if he'd just spend important meetings playing video games like a normal person then at least it wouldn't be a matter of public record that he wasn't paying attention.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:42 AM   #1580
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Hence the word "craven."
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:48 AM   #1581
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Bernstein said pretty much the same later in the thread:

"With few exceptions, their craven public silence has helped enable Trump’s most grievous conduct—including undermining and discrediting the US the electoral system."

Dave
Pretty much what Joe said. If you never say anything at all, you don't have to worry about having your words coming back to haunt you. (Of course, Lindsey Graham famously managed to eat that cake and have it too) Since, according to this article (The Hill), "sixty-six percent of Republican voters support President Trump running for president again in 2024," no GOPer who wants a political future is going to risk running against that tide; speaking against Trump's tantrums now would make ethical and moral sense, but not political sense.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:51 AM   #1582
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Pretty much what Joe said. If you never say anything at all, you don't have to worry about having your words coming back to haunt you.
It's the classic career politician fear, a deep dreading terror at the idea of actually having to take a firm stance.

That's why I said someone in the Trump administration needs to do the "Scene from Outbreak" where the SecState tells the President's staff that right or wrong they WILL own the decision they made.
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:02 AM   #1583
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

It's the classic career politician fear, a deep dreading terror at the idea of actually having to take a firm stance.

That's why I said someone in the Trump administration needs to do the "Scene from Outbreak" where the SecState tells the President's staff that right or wrong they WILL own the decision they made.
Of course, though, as I noted, even that isn't really a necessary norm anymore, craven as it is. As Lindsey Graham showed, you can declare forthrightly "use my words against me in four years," and then, four years later, just brazen through the hypocrisy and still win re-election. With a base that celebrates "trolling the libs lol" as a valid political tactic, you probably really could get away with shooting someone on 5th Ave and not lose a single vote.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:05 AM   #1584
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Of course, though, as I noted, even that isn't really a necessary norm anymore, craven as it is. As Lindsey Graham showed, you can declare forthrightly "use my words against me in four years," and then, four years later, just brazen through the hypocrisy and still win re-election. With a base that celebrates "trolling the libs lol" as a valid political tactic, you probably really could get away with shooting someone on 5th Ave and not lose a single vote.
Well yeah because, yet again, post-fact world.
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:11 AM   #1585
Dave Rogers

With a base that celebrates "trolling the libs lol" as a valid political tactic, you probably really could get away with shooting someone on 5th Ave and not lose a single vote.
Well, you might lose one particular vote...

Dave

- Myriad
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:46 AM   #1586
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

OK, maybe this is the place and ... even... time: Can someone tell me how, in the mind of trumpers, I assume, 'liberals' = ' radical left' ?

Hans
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:50 AM   #1587
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
OK, maybe this is the place and ... even... time: Can someone tell me how, in the mind of trumpers, I assume, 'liberals' = ' radical left' ?

Hans
I think that's just normal US right wing terminology. Anyone to the left of Genghis Khan is a pinko fag Nazi muslim transgender Commie socialized-healthcare-loving traitor to the Constitution, but it's quicker just to say "Liberal".

Dave

- Myriad
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:11 AM   #1588
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Hans

"Trump said it, I believe it. That settles it!"

It's really no deeper than that. Every Democrat is "The first and third most liberal member of Congress!" Every Democrat is a "Radical leftist socialist!" Every Democrat wants to "Destroy America!" No reasons needed, no explanations offered, and don't bother trying to see who else we've labelled the "most liberal" just last week.
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:12 AM   #1589
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's how in this election the most liberal liberal to ever liberal to the Right and not liberal enough for the Left was the same person.
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:40 AM   #1590
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I think that's just normal US right wing terminology. Anyone to the left of Genghis Khan is a pinko fag Nazi muslim transgender Commie socialized-healthcare-loving traitor to the Constitution, but it's quicker just to say "Liberal".

Dave
AH. .. OK. ... I get it. .... I think.

Hans
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:07 PM   #1591
SteveAitch
Student

Er, this is a joke, isn't it?
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:11 PM   #1592
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Er, this is a joke, isn't it?
Yes

https://newsbulleting.com/disclaimer/

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:12 PM   #1593
SteveAitch
Student

Phew!
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:34 PM   #1594
Dave Rogers

AH. .. OK. ... I get it. .... I think.

Hans
Sorry, I forgot 'atheist.'

Dave

- Myriad
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:55 PM   #1595
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Phew!
However, the one where Trump says he should be given over 300 EC votes because he deserves them appears to be entirely factually correct. As I said before, satire is now almost impossible.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:07 PM   #1596
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
However, the one where Trump says he should be given over 300 EC votes because he deserves them appears to be entirely factually correct. As I said before, satire is now almost impossible.

Dave
Hey, that's the same logic that made him a billionaire. He feels like he's worth $8 billion, so he is.
Old 23rd November 2020, 04:34 PM   #1597
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Melania Trump still has to give a **** about Christmas.
Quote:
Melania Trump is once again working her “ass off at the Christmas stuff” even though “you know, who gives a **** about the Christmas stuff and decorations.” This year, her last as first lady, she’s carrying out her prescribed duties as if it were like any other year. She’s doing it all as though she wasn’t recorded besmirching the name of the holiday that her husband famously saved from the dreaded P.C. police.

On Monday she welcomed the Christmas tree. In years past, a couple of beautiful Clydesdales have taken a break from starring in beer commercials to escort the tree to its penultimate resting place, the Blue Room of the White House. Often, both halves of the first couple are there to greet the fallen fir and the family who grew it—Don in his wide tie, Melania in a tartan coat, serving literal Mrs. Claus to the people.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM   #1598
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I understand she is having motor-control implants put in immigrant children so she can use them like automatons in a Christmas village scene.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #1599
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Something that seems to have been overlooked, in all the covid and election related news...

The US on Sunday formally exited the decades-old Open Skies Treaty, some six months after President Donald Trump first announced the decision, according to the State Department. The 1992 treaty allows the 34 member countries to conduct short notice, unarmed, reconnaissance flights over the other countries to collect data on their military forces and activities.
America's European allies, however, value the treaty, as it gives them the ability to collect aerial reconnaissance information that they would not necessarily have access to outside of the treaty.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #1600
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Presumably Trump wanted someone to pay him for something so he’s not going to give it away!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics