ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jack Burkman , Jacob Wohl

Old 1st October 2020, 05:23 PM   #281
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Popehat is hedging by pointing out that this is a serious state felony, but not a federal felony.

A big step into the big leagues by our favorite scammers, but not quite the full monty.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1311776195302756353
Not Federal, therefore not pardonable by Trump. Cool!
Old 1st October 2020, 06:17 PM   #282
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Oh **** yeah they are, way worse.
Marquette, Kinross, and Newberry are all "wonderful" places to leave them for a few winters. 3 square meals a day of nutraloaf should do wonders for them.
Old 1st October 2020, 07:22 PM   #283
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Jacob Wohl, 22, and Jack Burkman, 54, each face four felony counts in Detroit, including conspiring to intimidate voters in violation of election law and using a computer to commit crimes, Attorney General Dana Nessel said.

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/st...259460101?s=19

This one isn't fake: https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7...1052--,00.html
How odd that they attached their names to the enterprise, per the robo call recording played by Rachel Maddow this evening.
Old 1st October 2020, 08:04 PM   #284
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

They've attached their names to all of their enterprises, why would it be odd in this case?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 08:08 PM   #285
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Illegality. I suppose they were unaware of that.
Old 1st October 2020, 08:10 PM   #286
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Their plan was to showcase how they could manipulate voters and then hope someone would pay them to do it at scale.
They might be lucky to get charged now instead of in a year.
Old 1st October 2020, 08:35 PM   #287
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Jacob Wohl, 22, and Jack Burkman, 54, each face four felony counts in Detroit, including conspiring to intimidate voters in violation of election law and using a computer to commit crimes, Attorney General Dana Nessel said.

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/st...259460101?s=19

This one isn't fake: https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7...1052--,00.html
Only 5-7 years? Hell, even hanging's too good for them!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:08 PM   #288
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If I ROFL at these two dumb-*****, does it really count as schadenfreude?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:08 PM   #289
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If I ROFL at these two dumb-*****, does it really count as schadenfreude?
It sure does, but my rabbi assured me it's allowed in this particular case.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:39 AM   #290
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
You may be underestimating how stupid they are.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:52 AM   #291
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
When they see day after day their hero getting away with everything it's not surprising that they don't think there are consequences.
Old 2nd October 2020, 04:11 AM   #292
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It sure does, but my rabbi assured me it's allowed in this particular case.
Its just that they are so ******* stupid, I almost feel sorry for them........ almost.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:09 AM   #293
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

All of this admin's GOP crims should get the full Sherriff Joe treatment.
See if the right doesn't change their opinion on whether that was acceptable or not.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:25 PM   #294
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
So, that photo...I don't want to be the guy who sees it everywhere, but seriously: is that a shirt a straight guy would wear?
No.

Unless he is just trying to embarrass his wife and kids while on vacation.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 03:19 PM   #295
Doubt
Philosopher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_State_Prison

I would love to see them post Yelp reviews of Jackson Prison. At one time it was the largest walled prison in the world.
Old 8th October 2020, 08:03 AM   #296
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Happening now:

Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman appear at their felony arraignment in Michigan [picture of the two idiots in the tweet]

The prosecutor in the Jack Wohl case says Wohl and Burkman showed up to their arraignment with a film crew and a stack of $100 bills, to flourish when they paid their bail. Now the prosecutor wants a $1 million bail.

Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman's bail is set at $100K each, with the condition that they don't do any more robocalls.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/statu...15150509985797

Last edited by Firestone; 8th October 2020 at 08:04 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 12:17 PM   #297
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Is it telling that they've apparently had their ties confiscated?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 10:19 AM   #298
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Wohl and Burkman, bizarrely, appear to have incriminated themselves in a hearing today over a civil lawsuit filed by the National Coalition on Black Civil Participation. The lawsuit was filed over the voter-intimidation robocall scheme that Wohl and Burkman are also facing criminal charges for.

Inexplicably, the pair appeared in-person at the civil hearing without an attorney and began answering questions, rather than asking for a stay pending the resolution of the criminal case which is what usually happens in cases like this. Everything the two say during this hearing can be used against them in the criminal case. And boy did they say things.

Quote:
Burkman declared the two would not be partaking in robocalls between now and the election and stated he believes his bail set by the Michigan court is “unconstitutional.”

The judge then asked Burkman, “whether you or acting alone or with anyone else prepared that message and caused it to be sent?”

“Oh yes, your honor, yes,” Burkman said. “Yes, yes, yes,” he added.

The judge then asked whether Burkman has in his possession the list of all who were contacted by the robocall, to which Burkman stated, “I do not, in my possession.”

Burkman then admitted to giving the third-party California company which sent out the robocall the green light.

Burkman’s associate, Jacob Wohl then chimed in, claiming that the robocalls contents were conducted with publicly available voter registration information and that the robocalls never stated to “stay home.”

Navarro [attorney representing the plaintiffs] completed the hearing by shutting down Wohl’s objection that the call never said to “stay home.”

She read the transcript back to the court, where the last line of the call is, “don’t be finessed into giving your private information to the man, stay home” and the hearing was closed.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 11:49 AM   #299
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Wohl and Burkman, bizarrely, appear to have incriminated themselves in a hearing today over a civil lawsuit filed by the National Coalition on Black Civil Participation. The lawsuit was filed over the voter-intimidation robocall scheme that Wohl and Burkman are also facing criminal charges for.

Inexplicably, the pair appeared in-person at the civil hearing without an attorney and began answering questions, rather than asking for a stay pending the resolution of the criminal case which is what usually happens in cases like this. Everything the two say during this hearing can be used against them in the criminal case. And boy did they say things.
Man. They are a distilled form of stupid.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 12:02 PM   #300
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

From Popehat

Wohl and Burkman, while under indictment for robocalls in one state and investigation in others, are apparently answering questions about it in a hearing in a civil case. This is Olympic-level recklessness, almost certain to generate incriminating evidence about knowledge and intent. If they have criminal lawyers it’s astounding those lawyers are letting this happen, even if the exact same robocalls aren’t at issue.

Last edited by smartcooky; 26th October 2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 26th October 2020, 05:29 PM   #301
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Man. They are a distilled form of stupid.

They're playing D-3 Checkers!
Old 26th October 2020, 06:12 PM   #302
crescent
Illuminator

Wohl and Burkman, bizarrely....
That's becoming a more and more all-encompassing statement. Most articles about the two should be prefaced that way.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 06:14 PM   #303
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
From Popehat

Wohl and Burkman, while under indictment for robocalls in one state and investigation in others, are apparently answering questions about it in a hearing in a civil case. This is Olympic-level recklessness, almost certain to generate incriminating evidence about knowledge and intent. If they have criminal lawyers it’s astounding those lawyers are letting this happen, even if the exact same robocalls aren’t at issue.
Establishing both criminal intent and their willingness to flat-out lie in court certainly seems like a gift to the prosecutors.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2020, 06:26 PM   #304
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

As has been remarked before about this pair, it takes a certain level of intelligence to realize one isn't very intelligent. They fall so far below that bar that they are convinced they are immensely clever. This has not worked out well for them in the past, and I don't foresee it working out well now.
Old 26th October 2020, 08:54 PM   #305
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Inexplicably, the pair appeared in-person at the civil hearing without an attorney and began answering questions, rather than asking for a stay pending the resolution of the criminal case which is what usually happens in cases like this.
Super-geniuses don't need an attorney.
Old 26th October 2020, 09:55 PM   #306
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
...while super-morons think they don't need an attorney.

Seriously, these guys are the Sultans of Stupid; a walking, talking exemplar for Dunning-Kruger!

Last edited by smartcooky; 26th October 2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 27th October 2020, 04:00 AM   #307
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I guess we know they're broke now. It was a big clue that they routinely stiffed their "actors" in their various schemes, but showing up to court without a lawyer seems like an unambiguous signal that these guys were barely scraping up enough dough to run their schemes.

Or perhaps I'm underestimating their recklessness and stupidity and they actually thought they could handle this on their own.
Old 27th October 2020, 06:51 AM   #308
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I guess we know they're broke now. It was a big clue that they routinely stiffed their "actors" in their various schemes, but showing up to court without a lawyer seems like an unambiguous signal that these guys were barely scraping up enough dough to run their schemes.

Or perhaps I'm underestimating their recklessness and stupidity and they actually thought they could handle this on their own.
Wow, they aren't even smart enough to find a gig where they could embezzle from the Trump campaign.
Old 27th October 2020, 11:06 AM   #309
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

As you noted, they routinely stiff the actors they hire to try to pull off their stunts.

You know, the very people best able to blow the whistle on their stunts.

So yeah, I'll go with you underestimating their stupidity.
Old 28th October 2020, 04:59 AM   #310
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

For a moment of "good" news - looks like Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman have been indicted in multiple states now for their disinformation robocalls.
Old 28th October 2020, 05:46 AM   #311
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Burkman and Wohl now charged in second state, Ohio, for their robocall vote suppression scheme.

Quote:
Wohl and Burkman face eight counts of telecommunications fraud and seven counts of bribery and a possible 18 years in prison. (Bribery in this context refers to 3599.01(A)(2) in the Ohio Revised Code: “Attempt by intimidation, coercion, or other unlawful means to induce such delegate or elector to register or refrain from registering or to vote or refrain from voting at a primary, convention, or election for a particular person, question, or issue.")
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...obocall-scheme

Quote:
Similar robocalls were made in areas with “significant minority populations” in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Illinois, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said earlier this month.
Maybe more to come?
Old 28th October 2020, 10:22 AM   #312
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What a couple of .... wait, what's the plural of "doofus"?
Old 28th October 2020, 10:32 AM   #313
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What a couple of .... wait, what's the plural of "doofus"?
In this case, doofi.
Old 28th October 2020, 10:43 AM   #314
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
In this case, doofi.

We'll also need a collective noun for a group of doofi.

I humbly suggest "a Wohl lot of doofi".
Old 28th October 2020, 05:59 PM   #315
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Burkman and Wohl now charged in second state, Ohio, for their robocall vote suppression scheme.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...obocall-scheme

Maybe more to come?
From that link...
Quote:
"After already having been indicted in Michigan for a robocall scheme to intimidate urban-area voters with misinformation, the fabulously inept duo of Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman have now been indicted in Cuyahoga County for the same scheme."
The best, most apt description of this pair of nitwits I've seen in the media so far.....

Old 28th October 2020, 06:06 PM   #316
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
They're playing D-3 Checkers!
Nommed.
Old 28th October 2020, 06:15 PM   #317
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

<snip>

Maybe more to come?
They're gonna need a bigger lawyer.
Old 28th October 2020, 07:42 PM   #318
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
They're gonna need a bigger lawyer.
Nommed.
Old 28th October 2020, 07:51 PM   #319
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I hope they end up in the same cell, just for the comedy potential.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 02:30 PM   #320
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I hope they end up in the same cell, just for the comedy potential.
They could bunk their beds to make more space for activities.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics